PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giant Advantages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think that the Giant's will score a season high 38 points in the SB against a top 5 defense. Right. Keep dreaming.

There is no "Style" difference. The Patriots weren't as intense as the Giants in the first game. We played a vanilla defense so not to give anything away for the playoffs, and BB vastly underestimated Eli Manning.

That isn't going to happen in this game. What about that don't you understand? Do you honestly think that the Patriots threw everything we had at the Giants in week 17? I watched the game and it looked the other way around. From what I watched, the Giants threw everything they had at the Patriots, who weren't expecting it.

Have you ever heard the saying "styles make fights" ?
It's a common saying in boxing.

Muhammad Ali the greatest boxer of all time for some reason had difficulty fighting Ken Norton who doesn't rank in the all time greats. Ali split fights with Norton, and even had has jaw broken in one of the fights.

I think the same is true in football. The Patriots showed in the first game the Giants style gives them difficulty.

Statistically it is no comparison Pats win easily... but on the field it's a much closer game. Pats won the first game 38-35 and had to make a great comeback to win.

This time they might not be so lucky Giants 38 Pats 34.

The Giants style gives the Pats difficulty :rofl:

This time the Pats won't kick 3 FG's and give up a TD on a kickoff return.

Pats 42 Giants 17

So you think that the Giant's will score a season high 38 points in the SB against a top 5 defense. Right. Keep dreaming.

They scored 35 in the first game... is another field goal such a huge stretch for you ?

There is no "Style" difference. The Patriots weren't as intense as the Giants in the first game. We played a vanilla defense so not to give anything away for the playoffs, and BB vastly underestimated Eli Manning.

I hate to break this to all of you but that game meant far more to the Pats then it did to the Giants.

Dallas had already clinched the NFC East.
Giants were already a lock for the 5th seed... win or lose.
Giants were playing for nothing, except to beat the Pats, plus the Giants knew they had a big Wildcard game the next week.

New England knew it had a bye week to rest.
New England's perfect season was on the line.
Brady had some personal/team records to set.
Moss had some personal/team records to set.

If anybody had a reason to be 'up' for the game it was the Pats... if they couldn't match the Giants intensity in that game then good luck in doing it in the SB.

Have you ever heard the saying "styles make fights" ?
It's a common saying in boxing.

Muhammad Ali the greatest boxer of all time for some reason had difficulty fighting Ken Norton who doesn't rank in the all time greats. Ali split fights with Norton, and even had has jaw broken in one of the fights.

I think the same is true in football. The Patriots showed in the first game the Giants style gives them difficulty.

Statistically it is no comparison Pats win easily... but on the field it's a much closer game. Pats won the first game 38-35 and had to make a great comeback to win.

If you want to make that argument, please explain how they have a "different" style that troubles the Patriots. Please, I want to be "enlightened" to this "style" that the Patriots can't beat...

If you think that's true, you're not going to be dissuaded by logic or reason. Fine. There doesn't seem to be any more we can milk out of this discussion, so I suggest we all just wait until Sunday.

You asked earlier if we would give the Giants credit if they won the game, and not make excuses. I for one said that I will, you come back here on Monday and I'll eat my crow.

But is the same true in reverse? If the Patriots win, will you come back and explain to us - in detail - why you had it so wrong without making any excuses, or will you slink off like every other fan who has spent the last 18 games telling Pats fans how ripe for the plucking our team was?

I'm not presupposing the outcome of the game, but I'm curious if you'd have the stones to crawl back tail-between-your-legs if the Giants lose?

They scored 35 in the first game... is another field goal such a huge stretch for you ?

I hate to break this to all of you but that game meant far more to the Pats then it did to the Giants.

Giants were playing for nothing, except to beat the Pats, plus the Giants knew they had a big Wildcard game the next week.

If anybody had a reason to be 'up' for the game it was the Pats... if they couldn't match the Giants intensity in that game then good luck in doing it in the SB.

BUT thats not how it played out, now did it? It was OBVIOUS to even the announcers that BB didn't devise any great game plan, he just told them to go out and out-execute them. If we cared that much about this game, Kyle Brady, Nick Kaczir, and Stephen Neal would have started the game. The defense would have been aggressive and shown Eli a lot of different looks. That ISN'T what happened. It's the Giants that went all out in that game.

If you didn't realize that you're an idiot.

You forget that when Bill Belichick has two weeks to prepare for an opponent, especiallly in the playoffs, the Patriots are virtually unbeatable. Second, the Giants won't be playing at home for the Super Bowl, so you can forget about the home field advantage which was the case the first time the Patriots played the Giants. Furthermore, all the Super Bowl experience belongs to the Patriots who have yet to lose one with Tom Brady at quarterback.

Tom Brady = clutch
Mannings = choke

I've been following this, and other, threads touting the upset-special New York Football Giants!

Quite apart from that last regular season game, which they lost (!), a big thing is being made out of the Giants being the "hot" team, winning 10 straight road games.

That argument is a little disingenuous.

In that span, they've also played a number of other (home!) games, most of which they lost!

Before their bye week, they won three at home in this span, against...Philadephia, the Jets, and San Francisco! Well, my fellow PatsFans guys, does that not strike fear into your hearts?!?

After the bye week, they were a most mortal team, going 4-4, losing all their home games against....Dallas (31-20), Minnesota (41-17), Washington (22-10) and the Pats (38-35).

In the post-bye part of the schedule, in all 8 games, they were outscored 192-173, meaning that on a per-game basis, their average score was 21.63 (Giants) to 24.0 (opponents).

Then we come to the post season, where they've won their last 3. This is the time frame of Eli's supposed "maturation". And while he has avoided costly turnovers, the Giants' scoring on a per-game basis has only improved 1.04 PPG, while the defense has permitted 1 fewer TDs per game. Quite apart from the quality of their opposition, it is obvious the Giants' post-season success is due to an improved defensive performance.

The Giants are a good team that has learned the value of not looking a gift horse in the mouth. But no matter how you try and spin it, they are what they are - a wild-card team that has successfully crashed the big dance.

Consequently, as I stated in an earlier post, they do have a chance - a puncher's chance. And to extend that boxing analogy a little further, this is not Ali facing Ken Norton. It's more like Ali facing Jerry Quarry (hell, I almost said Chuck Wepner!)

Last edited:
If you think that's true, you're not going to be dissuaded by logic or reason. Fine. There doesn't seem to be any more we can milk out of this discussion, so I suggest we all just wait until Sunday.

You asked earlier if we would give the Giants credit if they won the game, and not make excuses. I for one said that I will, you come back here on Monday and I'll eat my crow.

But is the same true in reverse? If the Patriots win, will you come back and explain to us - in detail - why you had it so wrong without making any excuses, or will you slink off like every other fan who has spent the last 18 games telling Pats fans how ripe for the plucking our team was?

I'm not presupposing the outcome of the game, but I'm curious if you'd have the stones to crawl back tail-between-your-legs if the Giants lose?

I won't make excuses.
If the Patriots win I'll admit I got my prediction wrong - Giants 38 Pats 34
What more do you want ?

If the Giants win I don't want to hear any excuses I want you guys to just give the Giants full credit and leave it at that.

You don't even have to eat crow about your incorrect predictions, I understand why just about everyone of you is calling for a blow out. So I won't hold you to eat crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes