PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giant Advantages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leek21

On the Roster
Reaction score
I realize the fact New England is a great team, that being said the Giants do have some advantages over New England:

When Giants are on Offense:

1) Run Jacobs and Bradshaw. Jacobs is 264 pounds and 6"4. In front of Jacobs the Giants have FB Madison Hedge**** who is 6"3 and 266 pounds.

How will your old linebackers stand up to that kind of pounding ?

Also don't forget Giants have Bradshaw a small, quick, yet powerful running back. He missed the first game against NE, but will be playing in the SB.

Advantage Giants.

2) If the running game gets going it will open up the play action pass. Boss, Toomer, and Smith will be open on the short passes as your LBers will be too concerned about the running game. Can you say "play action pass" ?

Advantage Giants

3) Hobbs vs. Burress. A total mismatch. Hobbs is too short to cover Burress.
Burress will be a deep threat all game, even if he doesn't make one deep catch.

Advantage Giants.

4) Steve Smith is a rookie who was injured for a good part of the season. He is coming on strong and can make clutch receptions. Can Gay and/or Meriweather keep up with him ?

Advantage Giants.

When the Giants are on Defense:

Your offense is too damn good, not much teams can do to stop it.
However Giants do have some advantages:

1) Strahan, Osi, and Tuck. All great pass rushers. Giants might be able
to get pressure on Brady and force him to rush his throws.

Not really an advantage against your OL, but it could be.

2) Giants have great depth and CB. Madison, Webster, Ross, Dockery and McQuarters. All of these guys could be starters and have started throughout the season. Dockery is expected back for the SB.

Dockery is small and quick, a perfect player to lineup against Welker. Dockery missed the first game and Welker had a big day.

Moss was contained by Madison in the first game until he got injured... then Moss lit up the Giants. Madison will be back for the SB.

Stalworth/Gaffney vs. Ross/Webster is a draw.

Obviously NE gets the overall advantage

3) Watson/Maroney/Faulk as receivers.... this is what the Giants must stop and the Giants LBers are great at coverage. Lucky the Giants have extra CBs to help contain Faulk.

Advantage NE.

4) Maroney vs. Giants Rush defense.

Giants rush defense is solid.

Advantage Giants.

Should be a close game: Giants 38 New England 34

You haven't watched the first Pats/Giants game...and you're summation is not based on real stats, just perceptions.

I realize the fact New England is a great team, that being said the Giants do have some advantages over New England:

1) Run Jacobs and Bradshaw. Jacobs is 264 pounds and 6"4. In front of Jacobs the Giants have FB Madison Hedge**** who is 6"3 and 266 pounds.

Also don't forget Giants have Bradshaw a small, quick, yet powerful running back. He missed the first game against NE, but will be playing in the SB.

Advantage Giants.

2) If the running game gets going it will open up the play action pass. Boss, Toomer, and Smith will be open on the short passes as your LBers will be too concerned about the running game. Can you say "play action pass" ?

Advantage Giants

Advantage Giants.

4) Steve Smith is a rookie who was injured for a good part of the season. He is coming on strong and can make clutch receptions. Can Gay and/or Meriweather keep up with him ?

Advantage Giants.

2) Giants have great depth and CB. Madison, Webster, Ross, Dockery and McQuarters. All of these guys could be starters and have started throughout the season. Dockery is expected back for the SB.

Dockery is small and quick, a perfect player to lineup against Welker. Dockery missed the first game and Welker had a big day.

Moss was contained by Madison in the first game until he got injured... then Moss lit up the Giants. Madison will be back for the SB.

3) Watson/Maroney/Faulk as receivers.... this is what the Giants must stop and the Giants LBers are great at coverage. Lucky the Giants have extra CBs to help contain Faulk.

Advantage NE.

Advantage Giants.

Wow, its going to be tough gor us to beat that undefeated Giant team.
Great running game, unstoppable play action, unstoppable WR (I bet he set an alltime TD catch record or something) unstoppabel rookie Wr. Great pass rushers, great depth at corner, and 5 starting caliber guys, great coverage LBs, solid run D.

All we have is old LBs, a QB who is going to hurry his throws, the leading AFC receiver who will get shut down by an unknown, Moss who only got lucky due to an injury.

If you were right, the Giants should win about 44-6. Unfortunately for you, you are wrong.
But hey, you have 6 more days to live in your fantasy world.

I aint gonna pretend to read your whole post cause well you're a troll, all be it a well informed one, but once this game is over you will be gone but let me poke holes in your theory.

the running attack of the Gmen: How did they fair in week 17?
the rush of the Gmen: how did Brady fair in week 17?
How did your CB fair in week 17?
we used 1/10th of our offense in that game with 4 key missing people and still had a 10 point lead with 4 minutes left, let you take time off the clock and score then we kneeled to win. You have no shot have fun thinking about next year. Like the song from the Monk goes I could be wrong now, but I don't think so! final score 48-27 Pats. like an 80's Tyson fight this one is over quick :rocker:

Last edited:
I realize the fact New England is a great team, that being said the Giants do have some advantages over New England ...

... Advantage Giants.

You forgot to mention that Road Winning Streak, after all that's much better that an 18 game season winning streak because 10 of those games were at home.

Don't forget that tremendous advantage that the Giants have at QB. Their starting QB was not only a first round draft pick but was actually number 1 overall; not some pathetic sixth rounder (199th overall) - who by the way has been nursing a sore shoulder for years and probably will have to be carried onto the field thanks to bum foot.

There is also the tremendous advantage the Giants have at HC. Tom Coughlin is much tougher than Belichick. Did you see how he laid into that kicker? You've never seen Belichick do that; probably means the players don't respect him.

Guess these guys got it all wrong:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2117_Mismatch_of_the_Century.html

Statistics are dirty lies, aren't they?

This is the only thing that worries me slightly, if the NYG can get consistent pressure with 4 rushers. However, the big three above have combined for 3 sacks in the last 6 games so forgive me if I'm not shaking about it.

You know what really bugs me? The fact that the NFL is perpetuating the lie that this incredible Giants squad lost six games during the regular season and only made it in as the wild card.

The fact that you think Steve Smith is some sort of advantage for the Giants just shows your hilarious bias. He wouldn't even be able to make the Patriots roster.

This is the only thing that worries me slightly, if the NYG can get consistent pressure with 4 rushers. However, the big three above have combined for 3 sacks in the last 6 games so forgive me if I'm not shaking about it.

Stop worrying. This does not happen against the Pats. At best they will get SOME pressure at times, we will adjust, and the pass rush will not stop our offense. This is one of the primary reasons we are undefeated.
Put it another way. No matter how good the other teams pass rush is, our pass blocking is better.

The fact that you think Steve Smith is some sort of advantage for the Giants just shows your hilarious bias. He wouldn't even be able to make the Patriots roster.

maybe he thinks its Steve Smith from Carolina?
Or maybe he is just nuts? hmm...

Advantage Giants.

You've got to understand we've seen people like you come through almost every week. The Steelers have an amazing pair of running backs, no way our old backs will be able to stop them. And Jacksonville. And San Diego.

None of them were able to run against us. We know how to stop the run. I think it's people who haven't watched us play that think they will suddenly be the team that can run.

The only team that dominated our defense with a running game was the Ravens. Then we adjusted. It hasn't happened since.

Giants will get 75 yards rushing.

The only way the Giants win is if Brady's game is affected by the injury.

I'm usually pretty kind to trolls who come here wanting to have intelligent discussion rather than just "MY TEAM IS BETTER!!!" junk, but your arguments are ridiculous.

You've taken every matchup and tried to decide how you would most WANT things to be, not how they are. You haven't brought any statistics or facts to back up your argument, which is all the more ridiculous.

The most laughable assertion (truly, utterly, laughable to anyone who follows the NFL) is that the Giants have a "deep" secondary. You are equating depth to having a lot of guys. Well, every NFL team has a lot of defensive backs, that is not depth. Of the Giants cornerbacks, even the best are only nickel backs at this point on good teams.

Basically, if you want to have an intelligent discussion, than try and be intelligent.

I'm usually pretty kind to trolls who come here wanting to have intelligent discussion rather than just "MY TEAM IS BETTER!!!" junk, but your arguments are ridiculous.

You've taken every matchup and tried to decide how you would most WANT things to be, not how they are. You haven't brought any statistics or facts to back up your argument, which is all the more ridiculous.

The most laughable assertion (truly, utterly, laughable to anyone who follows the NFL) is that the Giants have a "deep" secondary. You are equating depth to having a lot of guys. Well, every NFL team has a lot of defensive backs, that is not depth. Of the Giants cornerbacks, even the best are only nickel backs at this point on good teams.

Basically, if you want to have an intelligent discussion, than try and be intelligent.

No way man. This Dockery character will SHUT DOWN Welker!!

Also don't forget Giants have Bradshaw a small, quick, yet powerful running back. He missed the first game against NE, but will be playing in the SB. (edited to add that I tried to adress each of the points and messed up on the formating - need to get back to work)

Advantage Giants.

Pats have the best three down lineman of any 3/4 team in the league" Vrabel and Thomas both go over 265. BB will stop the Giant ground game as he did in the first meeting

Advantage Giants

The Giants will have some opening in the play action becuase BB will focus on stopping the run. I also think the Pats play a conservative defense because BB fiugures his offense can take over the game. While the Giants will get some yardage here look for a few wrinckles in the coverage to create a turnover for the Pats sometime inthe game

Advantage Giants.

This is the only matchup that concerns me. Look for the Pats to jam Burress with alinebacker at the line and give burrress the short stuff.

Advantage Giants.

Pats will give the Giants the short stuff and wait for Manning to make mistakes

Bubble screens and short stuff to the running backs will bring up the safeties. Once there up, Pats will take some shots downfield and score

Its a big advantage if Brady is healthy

Advantage NE.

If the Giants put extra CBs on the field Maroney will run for 150 plus. If the Giants can score some early points and move the ball that may not be a bad strategy

Advantage Giants.

I think the Pats will run the ball much better this game because they have three of there better run blocker starters back in the game. This is especially tru in the red zone where the Pats had some problems in the first half of the last game

Its close if Brady is less than his best and the Giants get some turnovers. But the oddsmakers are correct (and I understand how the points are selected) a lot more than they are wrong.

Last edited:
Mindless banter. Everything you base your theory on is hyperbaly. I will be interested to see if you stop by this board on Feb 4th. I think not. TROLL!

Advantage Giants.

Advantage Giants

Advantage Giants.

Advantage Giants.

Advantage NE.

Advantage Giants.

What would you expect? The Giants are 18-0 and one win away from being the best team in NFL history, why wouldn't they have an advantage in the majority of the matchups?

Oh, wait...

Stop copying the entire original post. Thanks.

I aint gonna pretend to read your whole post cause well you're a troll, all be it a well informed one, but once this game is over you will be gone but let me poke holes in your theory.

the running attack of the Gmen: How did they fair in week 17?
the rush of the Gmen: how did Brady fair in week 17?
How did your CB fair in week 17?
we used 1/10th of our offense in that game with 4 key missing people and still had a 10 point lead with 4 minutes left, let you take time off the clock and score then we kneeled to win. You have no shot have fun thinking about next year. Like the song from the Monk goes I could be wrong now, but I don't think so! final score 48-27 Pats. like an 80's Tyson fight this one is over quick :rocker:

In week 17 Jacobs ran the ball 15 times for 67 yards, that is 4.5 per carry!
Not bad. Also if you remember he trucked Rodney Harrison. Then on the next play Harrison dove at his ankles missing badly. LOL!!
Don't believe it ? Watch the video on NFL.com from 1:47 to 2:00.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29435&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG17

If that isn't enough of response for you then remember Bradshaw missed the first game. If you watched the Giants last few games you will know who Ahmad Bradshaw is, if you didn't you will find out on Sunday.

As for CBs in the first game... Dockery was out... Madison was hurt during the game... Webster was not playing like has the past 2 weeks. Combine that with your potent passing attack and its bad news for the Giants.

This game Webster has his confidence back... Dockery should be healthy... and Madison is also healthy.

Its close if Brady is less than his best and the Giants get some turnovers. But the oddsmakers are correct (and I understand how the points are selected) a lot more than they are wrong.

Let me get this straight... if the Pats win you give them all of the credit...
if the Giants win you blame it on Brady's ankle ?

No. You need to give the Giants full credit if they win.

In week 17 Jacobs ran the ball 15 times for 67 yards, that is 4.5 per carry!
Not bad. Also if you remember he trucked Rodney Harrison. Then on the next play Harrison dove at his ankles missing badly. LOL!!
Don't believe it ? Watch the video on NFL.com from 1:47 to 2:00.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29435&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG17

If that isn't enough of response for you then remember Bradshaw missed the first game. If you watched the Giants last few games you will know who Ahmad Bradshaw is, if you didn't you will find out on Sunday.

As for CBs in the first game... Dockery was out... Madison was hurt during the game... Webster was not playing like has the past 2 weeks. Combine that with your potent passing attack and its bad news for the Giants.

This game Webster has his confidence back... Dockery should be healthy... and Madison is also healthy.

Yes, yes. The problem is that those cornerbacks, even with healthy, are not NEARLY as good as you seem to think they are. If you're not going to be convinced of this, then I don't know what else we here can do to help you out. If your team has one glaring weakness above all others, it's the secondary, and that's not debatable really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots