PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brisset is perfect QB to mentor Maye

If what you say is true, then Washington wouldn't be taking a QB in the 2 spot.
I didn’t say Howell is a franchise QB but he did outplay expectations. The traded him for more than Pats got for Mac Jones. He was an end of the 4th round draft pick, picked after Zappe.

Last edited:
I didn’t say Howell is a franchise QB but he did outplay expectations. The traded him for mor than Pats got for Mac Jones. He wS an end of the 4th draft pick
I thought Howell did ok for his 1st year starting and was at 4-5 at one point until the wheels fell off (although some losses were not his fault). Had some really good games. 29th out of 32 in QB rating, but he was sacked the most. Coincidentally, Bryce was 2nd most sacked (last in rating) , and Milfson was 3rd most (30th of 32 in QB rating)... Mac was 31st in rating. Hmm... maybe these teams should fix their OLines first.

That being said, it's a very small sample, but Brissett led the league in QB rating last year (no sacks in 46 snaps) if you include non qualifiers. Only had 23 att though.

A journeyman QB with a losing career record is not a good mentor for any QB.
There seem to be a lot of journeyman QBs with losing records (or just flat out rejects like Sean Payton's 8 for 23, 34.5%, 79yds, 1INT for the Bears), who've become good QB/OC/HCs, though.

That’s being awfully harsh.
Unlike say a Aaron Rodgers, Jacoby is content and fine with developing a young rookie QB, and embraces what Mayo and Wolf are trying to build,
Maye vs McCarthy at 3 or a trade down.

If you trade down don’t do it past 10.
Going to lead by example? Going to show the rookie how many hours it takes? Or show them how much effort is needed to just make do?

Unfortunately, we don't have a driven to succeed veteran in the QB room. We have a journeyman who is a career back up/ spot starter. That's not the role model id be bragging about
Brissett prioritizing being a mentor over winning a championship or teaching the young guy to be just ok is overstating his role in developing the new guy. The #3 pick should quickly surpass Brissett's skills, own his own development and possess the will to succeed as part of what makes him worth a top draft choice. Regardless of where he is drafted the new guy needs to have his own competitive fire and want to drive the competition to be the #1 QB. Brissett is just there to hold the fort while helping the prospect to adapt to life as a professional football player.

Brissett prioritizing being a mentor over winning a championship or teaching the young guy to be just ok is overstating his role in developing the new guy. The #3 pick should quickly surpass Brissett's skills, own his own development and possess the will to succeed as part of what makes him worth a top draft choice. Regardless of where he is drafted the new guy needs to have his own competitive fire and want to drive the competition to be the #1 QB. Brissett is just there to hold the fort while helping the prospect to adapt to life as a professional football player.
This. If the QB doesn't surpass Brissett halfway through the season (honestly he should be better by the end of training camp) we severely botched that pick

I thought Howell did ok for his 1st year starting and was at 4-5 at one point until the wheels fell off (although some losses were not his fault). Had some really good games. 29th out of 32 in QB rating, but he was sacked the most. Coincidentally, Bryce was 2nd most sacked (last in rating) , and Milfson was 3rd most (30th of 32 in QB rating)... Mac was 31st in rating. Hmm... maybe these teams should fix their OLines first.

That being said, it's a very small sample, but Brissett led the league in QB rating last year (no sacks in 46 snaps) if you include non qualifiers. Only had 23 att though.
Yeah Howell took way too many sacks. Still would have rather had him drafted than Zappe

There are worse outcomes to this than drafting Maye and potentially trading for Tee Higgins.

Jagcoby was a Parcells find.

Tuna met his Dad in Florida out by the pool and they became friends while Jagcoby was still in school. I recall reading an article post draft where Tuna was convinced that Brisset would be the next big NFL QB because he had all the right stuff.

yeah, brisket worked wonders in DC last year, didn't he? Second year man Sam Howell just exploded with mediocrity under his guidance... Really heart warming story of the grizzled vet making an impact... that really gives me hope

/S

This concept of an old vet needed to shepherd the green rookie is grossly overrated. Skilled coaching and playing time are the answer.

Skilled coaching and playing time are the answer.
Michael Richards Yes GIF

And the fact the organization signed JB is telling of what they think of zapp.. JB is a vet who's content with what he is.. an experienced back up QB who's respected in the league, who can get the ball down field, is accurate and very athletic and strong. He's fine in the role he's in for McCarthy.

The most pro ready QBs are Michael Penix, Spencer Rattler, and Bo Nix.

I strongly prefer a trade down, like with the Giants. And can still draft one of these guys after an elite OT.

The most pro ready QBs are Michael Penix, Spencer Rattler, and Bo Nix.

I strongly prefer a trade down, like with the Giants. And can still draft one of these guys after an elite OT.
picking an OT probably commits us to Rattler at 34. NOT

I'm fine with a trading down to 9 or 11 and picking Penix or Nix, with an outside chance of trading back up for McCarthy.

And the fact the organization signed JB is telling of what they think of zapp.. JB is a vet who's content with what he is.. an experienced back up QB who's respected in the league, who can get the ball down field, is accurate and very athletic and strong. He's fine in the role he's in for McCarthy.
Brisket is here because, as you point out, Zappe isn't the answer, he's relatively cheap & didn't cost us anything in a trade. If we had to trade for him, then it would have been some one else.

Brisket is not here to be a mentor, for anyone.

Brisket is here because, as you point out, Zappe isn't the answer, he's relatively cheap & didn't cost us anything in a trade. If we had to trade for him, then it would have been some one else.

Brisket is not here to be a mentor, for anyone.
He is here to run AVPs west coast style offense, to help along the QB and play if needed. Zapp isn't a leader, a wannabe starter who thinks he's more than what he is, wich is a practice squad QB.

Wether or not he, JB wants to mentor he will likely be asked too help the QB acclimate on and off the field. In the words of a legendary coach it is, what it is...

They have very similar playing styles. Also Brisset knows his role and will not whine. Good guy, great character.
Because they have similar playing styles, Maye makes the most sense as the pick at 3, even if Daniels is available.
No guarantee of success but definitely a shot worth taking.
I doubt the Vikings or Giants will pony up enough to make a trade worthwhile.
Let me be the first to say...Welcome to NE Drake.
On Biscuit. :rolleyes:

Eyeroll Ugh GIF

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick