PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
QB/PTP thread

Ill use this thread to talk about QB's and who might be a fit for us.

Tier 1 (RD1 top 10-15)
Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

Tier 1B (RD1)
Jayden Daniels

JJ McCarthy

Michael Penix Jr

Tier 2 (early RD2 possible pick 30-32)
Michael Penix Jr

Bo Nix

Tier 3 (RD3)
Michael Pratt

Spencer Rattler

Cam Ward

Tier 4 (RD6-UDFA)
Joe Milton

Jordan Travis

Kedon Slovis

Taulia Tagovailoa

Sam Hartman

(I will definitely add more names but it's a very thin class after the big 4-5)

I always evaluate QB's last but Ive seen enough of these guys over the years. So let's start with Michael Penix Jr since he's a hot name. Deservedly so! And take a hard look at Penix Jr. His game and how it might translate to the next level.

It's hard not to root for a guy like Penix Jr. Been through it and back and around again. Big armed passer, at times thrower (Throwing to a spot rather then passing to a player). From Florida, coming in at 6'3/215 ish. Wasn't the biggest name coming out of HS. 3* that eventually landed at Indiana after decommitting from Tenn. From there it's been up & down, good & bad with some bad luck in the injury department. ACL, AC Joint/Shoulder, ACL (same knee), Shoulder injuries with many other bumps along the way. Plenty of prospects have said "enough is enough" in his situation but he's going until the wheels fall off.

He's had the ability to manipulate a pocket and improve his situation there long before he popped into the spotlight but has been inconsistent when moved off his spot at times (right). Hes got a funky delivery that can get messy when sped up. Very heady though, always has a clock going. Doesn't take many bad sacks or panic but his footwork could tighten on some of his drops. Cleaner the pocket the better. He can slide, step up and has a fearless attitude. He'll navigate and cruise through waves of bodies but accuracy can slip with bodies on floor close by. Still his focus, movements and poise moving around, buying time are pro-like and what you look for.

Mechanics arent ideal or what you would "want" to see but it works. He's an ugly shooter but tosses darts and ropes across the field with plus velocity. Again he touches the pedal and straight gas shoots out. Think Dirk, Reggie even Cartwright back in the day. It's ugly but it works. At times too much arm in his passes, shoots from the hip, footwork is mostly good but he gets messy when he's moved at times. It works though. His release is very quick though. That's a question with him. Can he deliver consistently when he'll be forced to get the ball out quick on the regular. And he will at the next level. I mean his delivery could be tighten up some but for now it works. It's a 3/4 from the hip so obviously could be more efficient but at the same time he'll be a 24 yo rookie. All that said his "arm" or "arm talent" is petty fuxkin awesome. Even among NFL players. It's up there. And he's got some lower body explosion as well. Might not look like the most athletic guy but he'll jump almost 40 (37/38) inches and can absolutely take advantage of grass the defense can't cover or if he has to scramble. He's a gamer but has some actual athleticism too.

One of the better deep ball passers in the game. He's accurate, throws with placement and touch. It's his best asset out of his bag and in a lot of ways is built for what the NFL has become. Between his leadership, skill-set and IQ he has the ability to lead a serious vertical passing attack to stress any defense if complemented with a set table.

I've seen him recognize different blitzes from different players at different times in different games from second level. Poised and always moving. Aware stays steady and alert. Looks off defenders, pumps to move them, leads his wr and is consistently on time. In his passes and in the pocket. IQ and instincts look NFL starter caliber.

Doesn't fumble or take sacks. Some not so good INT but every young QB has them.

Can work all 3 levels of the field but has yet to showcase he can really do it consistently while be pressured.

Don't know many starting NFL QB's with 3 torn ACL's. He's already walking through a minefield on 2. "Every snap could be your last" ... not really with today's medicine and science but Penix probably can't handle any more knee injuries or lower body injuries considering the effects they can have to other parts of the body.

Ok so I went over some of the good, some of the concerns etc .. Let's look at what it means if we do draft him. And what we'd have to do to make it work.

If you draft Penix Jr you have to make sure the "table is set" for him. That sounds obvious enough but Im talking from ownership to installing a system like hes in now (air raid that'll have to be tweaked some for the next level but is very attainable with some effort) to guys like Odunze, Polk etc that can avg 17 + per rec, make it happen in the end zone and most importantly run crisp efficient routes.

Ownership - Patience is key in any of these situations as everyone that pays attention knows but it absolutely starts at the top. If you draft Penix a lot of things will need to change. From the install to personnel. Likely coaching changes or major adjustments. I'm not getting into what we've seen and come to expect here. Needless to say that would be a big change in philosophy if you go all in on MPJ. You'll need an owner that set the tone and allow the process to happen and not have coaches looking over the shoulders. Set expectations but patience is key.

Coaching - I touched on coaching, it starts with DeBoer. Hes not at Clemson or Bama or UG. Hes doing this at Washington. If they win tn they should start building a statue but it's far from just him. The OL has been absolutely tremendous in not giving up pressure and giving MPJ a nice pocket to work in. Pass pro would be key for obvious reasons - you're living & dying off big plays downfield. DeBoer has been brilliant and deserves a ton of recognition but guys like Scott Huff and JaMarcus Shepherd deserve looks for bigger spots themselves. The OL is arguably the best in football and won the Joe Moore award for best blocking unit in the country. The huskies wrs run specific efficient routes with little error. I would absolutely look at Shepherd if I was in the market for a wr coach. He's from the Mike Leach tree and really helped Purdue take a jump to the 5th passing offense during "covid." He's got experience, production and lives in the detail.

Personnel - Washington will have multiple top 30-60 picks this year, on both sides and will next year too. Everyone knows Odunze and how special he's been but Polk has a rep there as a big time player. That wr trio is NFL caliber and will all be playing on Sunday or get a real shot. The OL has multiple NFL prospects playing and again the defense has names too. This is an incredibly talented squad. It's hardly Penix or bust. So you'll need to replicate those skill-sets. Deep threats that can win down field. Alpha like Odunze that can win over the middle, down field, plus body control and tracking ability helps. You'll need guys that can work the curl/flat area and give you some YAC there. A true Y seam buster. And efficient rb that can block.

Washington's offensive attack is built on going all in on the passing attack almost abandoning the run game. Old school Texas Tech territory. And this "scheme" or "design" or we you want to call it wasn't just cooked up in an offseason. DeBoer has experience with Penix dating back to Indiana and has been developing with other coaches like Grubb during different stops along the way. So this won't be switching some papers and plays and just "we're running this now." You'll go through through rough stretches bc you're living off big plays. Youll have "streaky" stretches. You'll need an understanding that this will take time.

Washington's offense takes the best of AR - horizontally attacking the overhang defenders stretching olb or compromising corners with hi/lows to the boundary when most run it to the mof. While a lot of programs have the wrs try to manipulate defenders Washington's wrs simply play to space/attack leverage - as much as possible on vertical shots. The incorporate tes but probably should actually utilize them more for balance but when you have a trio like they do why bother. Another thing worth mentioning again is the protection. Penix often put his body into passes and wasn't touched. Given space to use. That'll change next level considering the complexity of pressure designs, coverages and the talent level. Can he consistently deliver when his OL is operating full tilt? Comebacks in bad weather when he needs to get the ball out quick? His release is dynamite but getting there takes time. When pressured consistently he sstruggled and his cmp% dipped 15% during a good stretch this year. Big time throws stayed the same but there was a lot of "shot taking" to space with 1v1 to WRS when you had other spaces available for yards as well. Again comes with the territory living off the deep ball.

So what type of team do you have? Whats your coaching like? What type of weapons do you have? Is there patient to build or are you in win-now mode with everything set up save a QB with a big arm? MPJ brings a lot to the table but you have to commit around him from A-Z and truly go all-in.

NFL passes are plenty

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1742014531407163623?t=yFy-bUiAjzmZ2XRmZF5hhQ&s=19

Next up Drake Maye

Last edited:
BGC - excellent job. So detailed. I'm no expert but I watched a lot of Penix' games this year and you have him down to a T.
If he were drafted by the Pats, I would never want to abandon the run game.
I'd hope for a modified version of the offense he's used to.
I see all 4 of the top qbs as flawed.
All of them have risks and potential.
The only one I want no part of is Williams. He's talented but at this point will he grow a pair? Does he really love football?
I was high on Maye until he had some really terrible games. He has the best traits but I worry about bust possibility.
Daniels is interesting. He runs too much for me. I think he can add muscle. He and Penix have the best intangibles but Daniels makes me nervous though I really like him.
But man, that's a great evaluation of Penix. Somebody should be paying you for this stuff.

Caleb Williams is declaring for the draft per NFL Network.

6'1" (but probably shorter) Caleb Williams got sacked a fair amount. That's disconcerting considering his "escapability".

ND game when he got sacked 6 times. Go to 6:43. The only worse INT I've seen than this is Mac's Indy one.

Then go to 52:28 for another horrible (tipped because he's short) INT. Then 58:02 for another terrible INT. If the Pats pick him, then I'll defend him to close to the end, but for now I just see red flags up the wazooooo. No wonder USC went from 6-0 to 8-5.

Edit: Almost had another INT at 1:21:45. Geez.

Edit2: After watching the whole thing. Zap -> CWill = sidegrade imho.

Last edited:
6'1" (but probably shorter) Caleb Williams got sacked a fair amount. That's disconcerting considering his "escapability".

ND game when he got sacked 6 times. Go to 6:43. The only worse INT I've seen than this is Mac's Indy one.

Then go to 52:28 for another horrible (tipped because he's short) INT. Then 58:02 for another terrible INT. If the Pats pick him, then I'll defend him to close to the end, but for now I just see red flags up the wazooooo. No wonder USC went from 6-0 to 8-5.

Edit: Almost had another INT at 1:21:45. Geez.

Edit2: After watching the whole thing. Zap -> CWill = sidegrade imho.

Spent a few hours watching Jayden Daniels this weekend. Got to admit, his skinny frame scares me but he had a lot of good stuff. He runs too much but you also saw him making reads to his receivers and checking down to his rb which I liked. Adequate arm strength and velocity and has a nice touch on the short stuff. Expect a good combine from him. Came away impressed with the Alabama film until he got concussed by Turner which is what I’m worried about at the next level. Couldn’t help but notice how good Milroe was. He’s gonna be a beast next year for Alabama.

Will be looking forward to your write up of Daniels BGC.

Spent a few hours watching Jayden Daniels this weekend. Got to admit, his skinny frame scares me but he had a lot of good stuff. He runs too much but you also saw him making reads to his receivers and checking down to his rb which I liked. Adequate arm strength and velocity and has a nice touch on the short stuff. Expect a good combine from him. Came away impressed with the Alabama film until he got concussed by Turner which is what I’m worried about at the next level. Couldn’t help but notice how good Milroe was. He’s gonna be a beast next year for Alabama.

Will be looking forward to your write up of Daniels BGC.
There are no "true" generational talents (i.e., ones with no serious questions). This feels like it comes back to what risk you're most willing to take (Williams' performance vs. competition, Maye's somewhat-less-than-stellar results, Daniels's build, McCarthy's being "hidden" behind the Michigan ground game, Penix's health, Nix's pre-Oregon performance).

Came away impressed with the Alabama film...

Really? That is the only cutup of his that I've watched of his so far, and I wasn't impressed. People seem to be impressed with the long throws and runs, but I worry more about things like the 2 or 3 comebacks he threw without anticipation, and just not very accurately.

There were other ones too that he missed across the middle as well....seems much more like a see it/throw it guy, instead of a guy that throws with anticipation into windows.

There are no "true" generational talents (i.e., ones with no serious questions). This feels like it comes back to what risk you're most willing to take (Williams' performance vs. competition, Maye's somewhat-less-than-stellar results, Daniels's build, McCarthy's being "hidden" behind the Michigan ground game, Penix's health, Nix's pre-Oregon performance).
Yeah, always the risk involved. They’ll do their homework, interviews and breakdown’s the best they can. But at the end of the day, they have to stamp their name and job on the line on for whichever one they choose.

Still watching Nix, I’ve liked him for awhile now. Keep referring to that back shoulder throw of his. Just awesome. Needs work in other areas.

Penix has a strong arm, that's it to me, and despite that Daniels is still a better long ball thrower, Daniels has elite acceleration and elite long ball accuracy. I just wouldn't draft Penix, I don't see how he will be successful in the NFL. I see nothing he does as elite.

Bo Nix I can't grasp either, he throws so many passes to wide open guys, with little pressure. Not much you can translate to the NFL, just a lottery ticket on him. Hard to find tape at Oregon where he has to do things he'll have to do in the NFL, and pre-Oregon tape that would translate is not good.

Top 3 and Spencer Rattler are the only ones to me that show a possibility of being solid NFL starters. I have not spent much time on the ones projected to go 5th round or later.

Don't know many starting NFL QB's with 3 torn ACL's. He's already walking through a minefield on 2. "Every snap could be your last" ... not really with today's medicine and science but Penix probably can't handle any more knee injuries or lower body injuries considering the effects they can have to other parts of the body.
One important point worth noting: over the last 5 years, the 75th percentile of OLs (i.e., the 8th or 9th best) have given up about 30 sacks a year.

Let's quit picking on my boy Jayden's weight. Damnit he's 5 lbs. heavier than MHJ ;)

Sorry, I once the skinny kid to get picked last for pick up games. Gotta vent

BGC - excellent job. So detailed. I'm no expert but I watched a lot of Penix' games this year and you have him down to a T.
Been meaning to reply still trying to get back full-time. Hope you're well brother!
If he were drafted by the Pats, I would never want to abandon the run game.
I'd hope for a modified version of the offense he's used to.
Yup he'll definitely need a real table thats set. The run game was more a "Washington" thing. Interestingly enough i actually think he might be really good in a rpo system if the OL is right. I think thats more important than anything bc he puts his body so much into his passes. Especially when it's NFL pressure or design upfront.
I see all 4 of the top qbs as flawed.
Yes
All of them have risks and potential.
The only one I want no part of is Williams. He's talented but at this point will he grow a pair? Does he really love football?
He creates and causes the most pressure and handles it poorly too often. The snaps of him working "in structure" are few and far between. Relies so much on his own gifts it'll be a tough/fine line on how strict you want to be with him regarding scheme and design. You see some special moments but you'll also see bad Russell and Zach Wilson, Bad D Watson (on the field!) His decision making specifically 2nd level will really have to improve bc the NFL has absolute dogs everywhere. Athletes everywhere. Some of these cross-body far hash passes are be taken for 6 the other way. His gifts are there and real. That said he really creates a ton of pressure for himself, needlessly. And doesn't follow up with great decisions.

Shades of greatness but he needs a Andy Reid or someone like that. Who commands respect. His "good" isn't "good" it's "great" If you can get him to learn to take small loses for eventual bigger gains (barter system) like throwing the ball away, take a small run gain instead of cross body pass, don't try to extend every play etc Get him in a comfortable system he can work in. Combined with his gifts. He could be a top 5-12 guy.
I was high on Maye until he had some really terrible games. He has the best traits but I worry about bust possibility.
Maye will be tough to pass on. He's got a plus arm and is one of the better deep ball passers coming out imo. He would have shown more productivity if not for poor WR/OL play. He's a hell of a competitor and gamer. That kid will run through you and away from you. He's got a plus arm that would work in NE, Buffalo, Pittsburgh... with touch, arm angles, maybe not easy gas but he can muscle through some tight windows. He immediately opens up the entire field bc of his legs and ability to work all 3 levels. Very comfortable working through and maneuvering through the chaos along the OL but his pocket presence could improve. As well as his footwork. Lifts his backs foot too often and loses accuracy. Lower half could improve his mechanics overall. He's got areas he has to improve on. He's not great past his 1st or 2nd read. He's got concerns but his "collective" the overall package will be hard to pass on.
Daniels is interesting. He runs too much for me. I think he can add muscle. He and Penix have the best intangibles but Daniels makes me nervous though I really like him.
Daniels was the best deep ball passers last year imo and always has been a very good deep ball passer. Specifically down the sidelines. Best by a good margin from intermediate to "chunk" plays (15-30). Was very good under pressure and unlike other him and Penix didn't create any to hurt themselves.
Screenshot_20240116_170057_X.jpg
Daniels is electric as a runner and passer. Obvious comparisons to Lamar will arise but Jackson has always been a great mof anticipatory passer. Can change up arm angles. Daniels has yet to show he can accomplish that full time. And while he's close to Jackaon as a runner JD has always taken big hits. Loves leaving his feet. He's a very nice prospect buts let's not forget he was throwing to Brandon Aiyuk a few years ago. He won't turn 24 until December but he's not exactly a baby coming out you would think you can mold a ton.

He could absolutely run an NFL offense but youll need a very creative OC to work around his shortcomings bc hes not a dynamic passer rn.
But man, that's a great evaluation of Penix. Somebody should be paying you for this stuff.
Appreciate it.

As of now I'm looking real hard at Nix, JJ, Pratt and Travis.

It's fantasy and very fan-ish but I would do A LOT to get MHJ & one of Nabers/Odunze on this team. Like possibly trade next year's 1st if I could keep this years 2nd. It would be tough be but Nabers/Odunze are legit NFL WR1 types imo. Odunze is one of the better trackers we've seen in years with plus ball skills.

If Bowers, Franklin fall out the top 10 I would think the same with a much lesser package attached. Same for Coleman and Thomas. Much lesser package but I'm absolutely thinking about taken advantage of an abundance of offensive talent with our needs/resources. WR is the second most important position in football. We're not solving all our problems in one draft. Harrison and one of the above mentioned could be the best duo in the league in two years. That's a huge building block.

I remember listening and talking to coaches who were taking over new teams and some absolutely didnt care where they made progress only that progress was made. Tackling, turnovers, run game ... eventually you have to get good at something. Id love to see the NEP step into 2024 with a potential all-pro duo at WR. Maybe land one of the QB's I mentioned above or simply building up the offense so its set when we do have a viable QB. That's been my train of thought for a minute now.

It's fantasy and very fan-ish but I would do A LOT to get MHJ & one of Nabers/Odunze on this team. Like possibly trade next year's 1st if I could keep this years 2nd. It would be tough be but Nabers/Odunze are legit NFL WR1 types imo. Odunze is one of the better trackers we've seen in years with plus ball skills.
Dude don't put these thoughts into my head...

Even though I said we should draft MHJr, I think JDan's my pick for QB because that work ethic just sticks out. I'd take my pick with a grain of salt because I wanted Trey Lance a couple of years ago.

Teammates are enamored with Daniels work ethic and attention to detail. Because he routinely shows up at LSU’s Football Operations Center to watch film at 5:30 a.m. and later leave after 8 p.m., second-year football coach Brian Kelly said the staff had to adopt new policies and procedures involving player usage of the facility.

“We used to cut off players at a certain time,” Kelly said. “We gave them unlimited access to the building. He (Daniels) just lives in this building.”

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back