PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 OT/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OT/PTP Thread

Will obviously add to this list of tiers but wanted to get something out for one of my favorite posters @WaterfallJumper
*edit* fell asleep, day late as usual.

As I said in another thread Alt is ot1 rn but Fashanu has unreal potential and this looks like a more than solid class.

More later but ...
Alt has elite bloodlines in various sports and is a multi sport athlete. Father played for KC & his older brother is in the NHL.

Plus quickness off the ball although he does suffer from the occasional misstep in the run game. Impressive first step for his size though. Laterally, vertically, jump. It's extremely impressive to see the big man move that well. Fires off the ball with no clunkiness or lumbering. He takes care of business on the line before climbing. Very focused, ready to roll. Knows his assignments and studies film - Delayed pressure, games up front. He's ready for it all. He really knows how to use his size to his full advantage but has to get stronger. Length for the most part but he has to use more independent hands. Plus recovery! Reminds me of Skor in that hes never out of position by much if at all but has a great knack to recover from mishaps. He eliminates getting by his outside shoulder, has the athleticism to recover inside or outside. Don't like his two handed strikes but he makes it work. He'll have to find and use independent hands at the next level though bc guys do find his chest. He has to utilize his length better imo. He's got the tools to be a stop sign.

Plus lateral movements. Whether he's kicking out, washing someone down the line or we. He's an easy mover that almost glides. TE and basketball background show up everywhere. He's probably 315 soaking weight around 6'7 and carries it tremendously well. Once he really develops that body he'll unlock some serious power bc hes very flexible. He'll be 21 in February so he's a good 3-4 years away from developing that "grown man" strength everyone gets around 24-25. Plus flexibility though he does bend at the waist too much for me. And that goes back to using one hand or independent hands or not using it. He has to reach and bend more. It'll have to change next level.

He a fantastic zone blocker that routinely takes out multiple people clearing a path. Just very calm, aware, not much surprises him. Hes a washing machine out there on the line. Great combo blocker. Uses athleticism over power and again at 20 -just finding out what his big body can do you'd expect that. Whether it's a big cutback lane, washing his him down the line, clearing out the 2nd level, he really opens up space. Very fun watching him block iz, duo or counter variations.

His feet occasionally get stuck and stop. Hands are more a problem imo. Late or inconsistent mostly. He's still young but hate the two handed approach especially considering his size and length.

So he needs to clean up some technique work and just get stronger. He shown plenty of flexibility, agility and athleticism so he shouldn't be caught front loaded.

He's a good one though. As is Fisher on the other side who might be playing LT if not for Alt.

Kingsley is interesting. Love his attitude and style. Cousins with Sewell and been working out with him.

Tier 1A
Joe Alt - 6'7/310 - ND

Olumuyiwa Fashanu - - PSU

Tier 1B
Kingsley Suamataia

JC Latham

Blake Fisher

Robert Scott

Patrick Paul

Caleb Etienne

Amarius Mims

Javion Cohen

Connor Colby

Graham Barton

Tier 2
Jordan Morgan

Zion Nelson

Jack Nelson

Tier 3

I caught a little bit of the Notre Dame game yesterday. It's a very small sample, so don't put a ton of stock in my opinion. But Alt did not impress me at all yesterday.

One later round RT who has caught my eye a bit for 2 weeks is Savion Washington from Colorado.

Impressed by Notre Dame’s OL against Ohio State.

But Penn State’s LT gives off Leon Gray vibes, doesn’t he? John Hannah said of his friend and teammate that he made it look easy.

Fashanu moves well and from what I’ve seen does a good job sliding back. I see two issues so far. One is that he lets his man get into his chest a lot, he doesn’t seem to have a good counterpunch for it. I don‘t see him getting away with that at the NFL level. Second, they never seem to run behind him, and in general his run blocking I’ve watched is unimpressive. I’m not sure how strong he his, upper body wise anyway.

Irrespective of this, I’d expect him and Alt to be top 10 picks next draft. There are so many teams, including the Patriots, that are in Nowheresville in their LT depth, and that includes a few teams like the Panthers and Green Slime that have used top 15 picks trying to find one in the past 5 years. If the Pats wind up in that position and Fashanu was there, I’d want them to take him, Trent Brown is not the answer and the do not have their LT1 of the future on their roster at this point.

Graham Barton from Duke looks like a Matt Light type tackle. Would love it if he slipped to our 2nd pick, if we don't pick an OT in the first.

I also saw some good things from Jordan Morgan, Arizona, in the USC game this past Saturday.

I posted this on the main board, but maybe it should have been here instead.

I know this will go against what most people want, but if the Pats get a top 5 pick, I think they should do everything they can, including trading up, to draft Joe Alt OT Notre Dame. I used to be just an Irish fan but now mostly watch the SEC and don't really focus on the other teams, but this past 2 years, I started following ND again and I think Alt is the real deal. I like him much better then the other prospects like Monheim, Fashanu or Latham or Barton. No idea what the future hold for Trent Brown, but if the Pats want to move, or move on, from Brown, Alt is the best LT prospect I have seen recently. Good bloodlines too. If the Pats want to keep Brown at LT then maybe you try to get a Latham or Monheim later to fill the massive hole at RT. I would love to see the Pats draft both Alt and Latham to patch their 2 tackle spots for the next 10 years. I think the Pats biggest problem is their OL. They are so bad, that you can't tell if Mac Jones, or Zappe, or anyone else is good, serviceable or bad. The QB never knows where or when the pressure is coming from. It leads to all kinds of problems. Same with the WR's. the Pats might have 3 great deep threats but we will never know because the QB's rarely have 3+ seconds to throw and never for 3 plays in a row. If the WR's cant get open 1/2 second into their route, it is too late. I am of the school that you build the trenches first and in my opinion Alt would be the best choice to do that. Then again, I thought Tony Mandarich was the best pick in the 1989 nfl draft. You know Aikman, B Sanders, D. Thomas, D Sanders 4 HOF'ers and my guy in the top 5. So take this for what it is worth.

I posted this on the main board, but maybe it should have been here instead.

I know this will go against what most people want, but if the Pats get a top 5 pick, I think they should do everything they can, including trading up, to draft Joe Alt OT Notre Dame. I used to be just an Irish fan but now mostly watch the SEC and don't really focus on the other teams, but this past 2 years, I started following ND again and I think Alt is the real deal. I like him much better then the other prospects like Monheim, Fashanu or Latham or Barton. No idea what the future hold for Trent Brown, but if the Pats want to move, or move on, from Brown, Alt is the best LT prospect I have seen recently. Good bloodlines too. If the Pats want to keep Brown at LT then maybe you try to get a Latham or Monheim later to fill the massive hole at RT. I would love to see the Pats draft both Alt and Latham to patch their 2 tackle spots for the next 10 years. I think the Pats biggest problem is their OL. They are so bad, that you can't tell if Mac Jones, or Zappe, or anyone else is good, serviceable or bad. The QB never knows where or when the pressure is coming from. It leads to all kinds of problems. Same with the WR's. the Pats might have 3 great deep threats but we will never know because the QB's rarely have 3+ seconds to throw and never for 3 plays in a row. If the WR's cant get open 1/2 second into their route, it is too late. I am of the school that you build the trenches first and in my opinion Alt would be the best choice to do that. Then again, I thought Tony Mandarich was the best pick in the 1989 nfl draft. You know Aikman, B Sanders, D. Thomas, D Sanders 4 HOF'ers and my guy in the top 5. So take this for what it is worth.
True story .. Mandarichs mother used to cut my grammas hair. That dude was massive.

I'll be interested in this thread as the season moves on. I agree with @SteveKiner that we should be considering locking up our future LT in the first round next year. I'd also go so far to say that we should be looking into bookending the line with a RT with our 2nd. Unlike last year where there didn't seem to be much top tier talent on the OL, I've seen mock drafts with as many as 6 or 7 or offensive linemen going in the first round.

Don't get me wrong, if we end up at the top and have a chance at Caleb, I would have to second guess the tackle pick. Other than that, we need the big boys up front to give the offense a chance. Looking forward to your insight, and appreciate the effort you put into these posts @BaconGrundleCandy

I'll be interested in this thread as the season moves on. I agree with @SteveKiner that we should be considering locking up our future LT in the first round next year. I'd also go so far to say that we should be looking into bookending the line with a RT with our 2nd. Unlike last year where there didn't seem to be much top tier talent on the OL, I've seen mock drafts with as many as 6 or 7 or offensive linemen going in the first round.

Don't get me wrong, if we end up at the top and have a chance at Caleb, I would have to second guess the tackle pick. Other than that, we need the big boys up front to give the offense a chance. Looking forward to your insight, and appreciate the effort you put into these posts @BaconGrundleCandy
I think I'm back

If we continue to remain inconsistent for the remainder of the year and end up with a draft choice in the top 5 or 6, I would go all in and trade up to get the one I considered the best. Still a crap shoot, but I wouldn't want a tackle in that position.
We got a chance to see many of the QBs yesterday. I discount Caleb Williams as a head case who wants everything handed to him. Not convinced on Penix. Nixon or Maye, maybe. I liked some things about Jayden Daniels. I liked Jordan Travis, haven't really seen McCarthy.

Ranking top quarterback prospects by QBR: Week 9​

These are the top quarterbacks in the 2024 NFL Draft class according to ESPN's QBR metric for the 2023 college football season.

1. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan (QBR: 93.8)
  2. Jayden Daniels, LSU (91.8)
  3. Dillon Gabriel, Oklahoma (85.1)
  4. Bo Nix, Oregon (85.0)
  5. Kyle McCord, Ohio State (83.4)
  6. Michael Penix Jr., Washington (82.7)
  7. Jordan Travis, Florida State (82.6)
  8. DJ Uiagalelei, Oregon State (82.5)
  9. Caleb Williams, USC (82.0)
  10. Carson Beck, Georgia (81.8)
  11. Drake Maye, North Carolina (78.7)
  12. Jaxson Dart, Ole Miss (78.6)
  13. Quinn Ewers, Texas (77.6)
  14. Michael Pratt, Tulane (76.8)
  15. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami (FL) (75.8)

@BCG - The way things are looking, the Pats are going to have a Top 5 pick for the first time in BB's Pats career. If both Alt and MHJ are on the board, who do you take? I ask because on the Main board you made it sound like MHJ would be the best pick.. Maybe I read it wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats pick 3rd. Especially if the top 2 need QBs.

If we continue to remain inconsistent for the remainder of the year and end up with a draft choice in the top 5 or 6, I would go all in and trade up to get the one I considered the best. Still a crap shoot, but I wouldn't want a tackle in that position.
We got a chance to see many of the QBs yesterday. I discount Caleb Williams as a head case who wants everything handed to him. Not convinced on Penix. Nixon or Maye, maybe. I liked some things about Jayden Daniels. I liked Jordan Travis, haven't really seen McCarthy.

Ranking top quarterback prospects by QBR: Week 9​

These are the top quarterbacks in the 2024 NFL Draft class according to ESPN's QBR metric for the 2023 college football season.

1. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan (QBR: 93.8)
  2. Jayden Daniels, LSU (91.8)
  3. Dillon Gabriel, Oklahoma (85.1)
  4. Bo Nix, Oregon (85.0)
  5. Kyle McCord, Ohio State (83.4)
  6. Michael Penix Jr., Washington (82.7)
  7. Jordan Travis, Florida State (82.6)
  8. DJ Uiagalelei, Oregon State (82.5)
  9. Caleb Williams, USC (82.0)
  10. Carson Beck, Georgia (81.8)
  11. Drake Maye, North Carolina (78.7)
  12. Jaxson Dart, Ole Miss (78.6)
  13. Quinn Ewers, Texas (77.6)
  14. Michael Pratt, Tulane (76.8)
  15. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami (FL) (75.8)
I like Nix a lot more than most of these guys, but what is the difference between him and Mac Jones? Stronger arm? Slightly more athletic?

I know this will go against what most people want, but if the Pats get a top 5 pick, they should draft Joe Alt OT Notre Dame. Alt is the real deal.
I’m with you. Maybe trade down with the Falcons at 8 to pick up good ammunition.

VLowe at LT and McDermott at RT as your starters next year? Good grief.

Do we want to Jim Plunkett our new QB?

And then this guy in the mid rounds.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes