PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this it for Mac?

Add a poll this time clownshoes.
I will after week 5 when the smurf takes over the NFL. It will ask if the smurf worked way harder than Mac Jones did. My vote is yes because we all know the smurf and his cannon arm is going to the hall of fame.

Do you two clowns have to drag your bro-fest bs to every ****ing thread? Come on guys, give it a rest. Both QBs suck ass. There settled.

arch: I think Mayo might be getting the short end of the stick in all this and he might be decent we don't know. IF the Krafs think he's the successor get him a REAL GM no more Double hats GM/HC. Let's call a spade a spade BB the GM Ruined BB the HC.
Agreed. My hope is for Rick Spellman former Vikings GM or Mike Tannenbaum those guys know how to identify talent. BB asked for the dual role because Parcells wanted it here ,and never got it. There's a reason why owners don't do that 1950s NFL thing anymore. It's called 2-9

I mean, you can't, in good conscience bring him back. If you go 3-14 (presumably), that's any coach's job. Doesn't matter if your Lombardi, Rust or Belichick. BB's been the author of bad drafts for a while now. Questionable game day and in-game decisions too.

And no Mayo. They need a complete flush of the whole system. Somebody with some new ideas and ways of doing business in the new NFL (love it or hate it).
I don't lump Mayo in with BB, I think he's his own man and would do things his way, I'd give him a shot.

He also outplayed Brady against the Bucs. He also brought the Pats from behind against the Cowboys and the defense let him down allowing 26 yards on a third and 27 on the Cowboys 40 with lik 13 seconds left in the game.

There is plenty to pile on Mac about without rewriting his rookie season. He had a good rookie season.
I agree that Mac had a very promising rookie year and seemed like he was poised to become a decent QB. In retrospect he was very good until the bye week which followed the wind game in Buffalo. It seems like there was an incident during the bye where Mac was too hard on himself after getting some direct feedback from the coaches. He raised a few eyebrows after the Colts game when he said “Maybe we were feeling a little sorry for ourselves coming off our bye.”. This carried over in 2022 when the coaches were told to go easy on him until he made the statement about needing to be coached harder. My belief is that he was never able to get his head straight after that and has now completely unraveled at this point. The mental aspect of being a QB is the most difficult part, he needs a reset. The news is not all bad, Mac's mental coach is on the job.

8e673c36-5e2d-4c59-bb0d-0b5e8e93426f_text.gif

Do you guys think Mac Jones starts again next week or have we seen the end of Mac Jones as QB for the Patriots? Watching the Giants game, it’s clear as day and it’s been clear that this man isn’t a leader nor a QB. Trotting him out again only is good if you care about tanking. Personally, watching him play gives me stomach problems so I hope this is it.

Mac Jones is clearly a joke now. In one half he produced zero points and 2 INTs. The guy is mentally cooked, throwing off his backfoot almost at any slightest bit of felt pressure. When you see a QB go skittish and go into a shell at the slightest sign of adversity you know he's done. Any potential he might have had has been RUINED. Great job there, BB!

In any case, is it even about competing anymore? Our options are Mac Jones, Zappe, and Cunningham. Zappe isn't that great either and still puts up the head scratching throws into triple coverage for picks. But there's one difference between the two, Zappe isn't skittish and a complete mental wreck yet. He brings confidence into the huddle and that energizes the offense.

Now Cunningham is a complete wildcard but it's safe to say he's probably more athletic than either Jones or Zappe. BB usually doesn't trust rookies so it's unlikely Cunningham gets a chance even with how DIRE the QB position has become.

Yes a lot of the blame goes onto BB for ruining Mac Jones, but he has a role to play in this too. He's the one who lacks the mental toughness and the will to improve. He just goes into a shell and sulks when the going gets tough and that doesn't earn respect or confidence from teammates. Maybe he'll turn into a decent backup QB someday but it won't be for New England.

At this point it's either tank or stick with what you know, which is the same thing as tanking. Great job with the "grocery shopping", BB! You've degraded the offensive talent so much over the years that this is the end product. 2-9 with the potential of ending up even worse. The only slight glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel is a high draft pick and maybe taking a stud franchise QB to begin the process of turning this absolute DISASTER of a team around!

As of now we'd have I think the 2nd or 3rd pick. Again now, alot hinges upon BB being here still or not.. we know he loves to move up and down the board. They have no other viable options at QB. That's why Mac continues to play.

Imagine if we end up with the #2 overall pick. Caleb Williams goes off the board. The fans think we're all getting Drake Maye and then ... BB trades down and drafts another effing GUARD in the 1st round! Would there be riots in the street? Maybe, but then in the post draft presser BB will give his usual smug answers for his insane drafting decisions! We CAN NOT ALLOW BB to RUIN anymore drafts for this franchise!

As of now we'd have I think the 2nd or 3rd pick. Again now, alot hinges upon BB being here still or not.. we know he loves to move up and down the board. They have no other viable options at QB. That's why Mac continues to play.
thank you

I have seen enough of Mac. Even Brady's worst seasons numbers all managed to be light years better than the numbers Mac is putting in 2023.

Imagine if we end up with the #2 overall pick. Caleb Williams goes off the board. The fans think we're all getting Drake Maye and then ... BB trades down and drafts another effing GUARD in the 1st round! Would there be riots in the street? Maybe, but then in the post draft presser BB will give his usual smug answers for his insane drafting decisions! We CAN NOT ALLOW BB to RUIN anymore drafts for this franchise!
Absolutely agree!!!! That's why it's like this awful season being over is the only thing that's standing in the way of our QB of the future. Supposedly there are expected to be 7 HC changes this off season.. I'm assuming NE would be one of them. We need offensive talent evaluators that think for the modern nfl game.

arch: I think Mayo might be getting the short end of the stick in all this and he might be decent we don't know. IF the Krafs think he's the successor get him a REAL GM no more Double hats GM/HC. Let's call a spade a spade BB the GM Ruined BB the HC.
Be careful what you wish for. Bob Kraft has hired two GMs since he bought the team. Belichick is the second. Bobby Grier was the first.

Can we resign Cam Newton?

Be careful what you wish for. Bob Kraft has hired two GMs since he bought the team. Belichick is the second. Bobby Grier was the first.
If the decision is made to move on from BB, whoever they bring in as the GM can’t really be worse than how BB has performed in that role in the last 4 years or so.

There's no point in signing some vet or project now.
They have absolutely and completely ruined Mac. I don't think there's any reason to play him more.
Conventional thought would say to play Zappe - but it's not like you're trying to prep him for next year. He's gone too.
And this coaching staff isn't (please God) planning for next year here either.
So, the only thing that makes some sense is to give Malik all the practice reps and let him play out the season.
That will spark the team to not totally pack it in, and might keep some fans coming to the stadium.

I agree that Mac had a very promising rookie year and seemed like he was poised to become a decent QB. In retrospect he was very good until the bye week which followed the wind game in Buffalo. It seems like there was an incident during the bye where Mac was too hard on himself after getting some direct feedback from the coaches. He raised a few eyebrows after the Colts game when he said “Maybe we were feeling a little sorry for ourselves coming off our bye.”. This carried over in 2022 when the coaches were told to go easy on him until he made the statement about needing to be coached harder. My belief is that he was never able to get his head straight after that and has now completely unraveled at this point. The mental aspect of being a QB is the most difficult part, he needs a reset. The news is not all bad, Mac's mental coach is on the job.

8e673c36-5e2d-4c59-bb0d-0b5e8e93426f_text.gif
This has been my theory all along.

Mac was humiliated during the Buffalo game and made worse by the countless memes that followed - some of which teammates liked iirc.

He got to face a horrific Jags team that gave him a slight confidence boost but he just hasn’t been the same since.

The National media is taking Jones’ side.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back