PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Grier is next in line if Mac fails this week

That is my point at least for the last two week weeks. He is rushing his throws.
Because he is indecisive, sees it thinks he sees the rush and chucks it without thinking

Bedard's got two chances to get it right, and frankly I don't care who starts.

I loved Grier as a prospect coming out of college, he had to learn how to play under center and a pro style offense.

He's got a really strong arm, at least, so we won't have to hear that "weak arm" baloney.
Grier? I wouldn't say he has a really strong arm. He has nice touch on downfield passes similar to Peyton Manning's game.

Grier? I wouldn't say he has a really strong arm. He has nice touch on downfield passes similar to Peyton Manning's game.
Seems nobody can define “strong arm” anymore… the only default is when a QB becomes a Patriot his arm automatically becomes “weak” or “average.”

That ball speed “Pause” is what made me fall in love with him before.

Seems nobody can define “strong arm” anymore… the only default is when a QB becomes a Patriot his arm automatically becomes “weak” or “average.”

Those numbers seem more promising than these reports:

1697203241983.png

0:38 "Deep ball dies too often"

2019 Senior Bowl where Grier gets the start. Some good throws some meh throws where you can see the arm needs a bit of work. It's not terrible though.

I can live with all of that. Only problem I have is he's 28 years old so he's very close to the age where what you see is what you'll get. I'm not expecting Grier to be The Guy (tm) so as long as the Pats don't stop trying to find someone better I'm ok with rolling with Grier if Mac can't figure things out. Not sure I'd expect the offense to suddenly become great with the QB change.

Last edited:
The mental part of his game is off.
It’s obvious to see. He plays like he has no idea what they are trying to accomplish on the play. He sees ghosts and acts like there is pressure when there isn’t at times. He can make up his mind whether he wants to run or not, every movement in the pocket is different from the last. His decision making is slow and a lot of his inaccuracy appears to be that he waits too long to pull the trigger then he is rushing the throw.
The brain part of his game has been bad. He looks as if every okay he runs was just drawn up in the huddle and he’s trying to figure out how it’s supposed to work. Even the pitch to Stevenson on the short yardage play, which is routine looked like it was improvised and never worked on by him. (And executed extremely well by the other 10)
Well he also lacks the physical skills to play QB so we got a real stud there.

View attachment 53639

2019 Senior Bowl where Grier gets the start. Some good throws some meh throws where you can see the arm needs a bit of work. It's not terrible though.

I can live with all of that. Only problem I have is he's 28 years old so he's very close to the age where what you see is what you'll get. I'm not expecting Grier to be The Guy (tm) so as long as the Pats don't stop trying to find someone better I'm ok with rolling with Grier if Mac can't figure things out. Not sure I'd expect the offense to suddenly become great with the QB change.

Some amateur scout's report from Walter Football is more accurate than actual radar tracked throws at the combine and his rate of downfield throws in college... sounds legit.

I'll take the raw scientific data over one dude's opinion. And I don't care about age, reps and injury takes away from skill more than time. He's been on ice for a couple years.

Some amateur scout's report from Walter Football is more accurate than actual radar tracked throws at the combine and his rate of downfield throws in college... sounds legit.

I'll take the raw scientific data over one dude's opinion. And I don't care about age, reps and injury takes away from skill more than time. He's been on ice for a couple years.
Hopefully you're right. We'll see

Hopefully you're right. We'll see
He could be a young Andy Dalton and that would be 1000X better than Mac... the bar is set pretty low.

Why the **** not. Seen enough of Zappe at this point. Let's see what the kid has got.

View attachment 53639

You might be surprised they are times when Teams responds to certain players. I remember Case Keenum 2017 Minnesota I never thought he was more than a back-up but he played well for them. On Will Grier I think he would come in under no pressure at all and at this time it's fair to say Mac is probably broken.

Nostradamus time:

Grier comes in starting the 2nd quarter. He goes 18-33/270/2TD the rest of the way. Pat's play action gets rolling, backs account for 145/2td.

GDT/PGT - screams of why BB is a loser for not starting Grier earlier. Boston Media goes all-out on the same assessment.

In the NE offense, they aren't throwing deep bombs all the time. You just need enough to be able to take a shot periodically when the pocket is clean and you can step into your throw. Seems like Grier can do that. Otherwise you really need to be able to hit your short and intermediate middle-of-field stuff with accuracy and anticipation and get through your progressions. My impression is that Grier can do that, but I'm not well-studied on him overall. He's supposedly very good at climbing/moving in the pocket, which we're desperate for.

View attachment 53639

We have been looking for the next Tom Brady. Be funny if we found the next Kurt Warner

In the NE offense, they aren't throwing deep bombs all the time. You just need enough to be able to take a shot periodically when the pocket is clean and you can step into your throw. Seems like Grier can do that. Otherwise you really need to be able to hit your short and intermediate middle-of-field stuff with accuracy and anticipation and get through your progressions. My impression is that Grier can do that, but I'm not well-studied on him overall.
The Coaches said they are starting over this week always something to draw us in. Lets see if we see a different more Decisive Mac his Pats playing career is on the line we believe in you Mac.
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

I agree…got into this a few years ago with BGC. Most of this arm strength/velocity is subjective and based on confirmation bias.

It is obvious when a guy has very weak velocity and Josh Allen does stand out for high velocity but mostly it’s a big bell curve.

Biggest case in point with this stuff is Joe Flacco who supposedly had tremendous arm strength, but he was incapable of throwing on a rope. Every throw was a lollipop and he sucked at the most important passes in the 10-15 yard range. Whereas that was Brady’s biggest strength, those tight, fast throws over the middle with a tiny window. Not sure how the “experts” measured arm strength between those two but for practical purposes, Flacco apparent “big arm” was his biggest weakness.

I agree…got into this a few years ago with BGC. Most of this arm strength/velocity is subjective and based on confirmation bias.

It is obvious when a guy has very weak velocity and Josh Allen does stand out for high velocity but mostly it’s a big bell curve.

Biggest case in point with this stuff is Joe Flacco who supposedly had tremendous arm strength, but he was incapable of throwing on a rope. Every throw was a lollipop and he sucked at the most important passes in the 10-15 yard range. Whereas that was Brady’s biggest strength, those tight, fast throws over the middle with a tiny window. Not sure how the “experts” measured arm strength between those two but for practical purposes, Flacco apparent “big arm” was his biggest weakness.
I always thought Brady's arm was so underrated. As a catcher and MLB draft pick at that position there was no way he would even be looked at by anyone at any level of that sport without a rifle for an arm...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back