PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: SB rematches from the season

MahomestoKelce

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know alot of talk is on Bill and the team's future. Yet, I wanted to maybe lighten the mood by revealing some interesting NFL info.

There is a weird occurence where teams that lost during the season win in the SB rematch:

80 & 83 Raiders lost to Eagles/Wsh respectively in the regular season. Raiders won SB games
90: Giants beat Buffalo in SB after losing the season matchup
93: Dallas beat Buffalo in the SB after losing to them during the season
99: Rams beat Titans in the SB after losing to them in the season
01: Patriots beat Rams in the SB after losing to them in the season
07: Giants won the SB against NE after losing to them during the season
20: Bucs beat KC after losing to them during the season

This is either a coincidence or there is something to it. Sometimes losses make a team work harder to fix mistakes. Make adjustments. Whereas the winner during the season may not have as much to focus back on.

Where do you stand on this. Coincidence or a case where losing can help a team?

I'd be curious to see the stats on the flip side, where a team lost both the regular season and Super Bowl rematch. Barring that, it could just as likely be that winning in the regular season doesn't inspire the winning team to change the gameplan as drastically in the lead up to the Super Bowl. That's pure conjecture, but something to ponder I suppose.

So you're saying that SF will beat the Ravens? Good luck with that one.

I know alot of talk is on Bill and the team's future. Yet, I wanted to maybe lighten the mood by revealing some interesting NFL info.

There is a weird occurence where teams that lost during the season win in the SB rematch:

80 & 83 Raiders lost to Eagles/Wsh respectively in the regular season. Raiders won SB games
90: Giants beat Buffalo in SB after losing the season matchup
93: Dallas beat Buffalo in the SB after losing to them during the season
99: Rams beat Titans in the SB after losing to them in the season
01: Patriots beat Rams in the SB after losing to them in the season
07: Giants won the SB against NE after losing to them during the season
20: Bucs beat KC after losing to them during the season

This is either a coincidence or there is something to it. Sometimes losses make a team work harder to fix mistakes. Make adjustments. Whereas the winner during the season may not have as much to focus back on.

Where do you stand on this. Coincidence or a case where losing can help a team?
Both.

And “sweeps” happen a lot too. Like these

11: Giants beat Pats in both regular season and SB.
94: 49ers beat Chargers in both
85: Bears beat Pats in both

Last edited:
Deleted - was talking rubbish (not an unknown phenomena)

Last edited:
Both.

And “sweeps” happen a lot too. Like these

11: Giants beat Pats in both regular season and SB.
94: 49ers beat Chargers in both
85: Bears beat Pats in both
Chargers were like a high school team compared to the Niners.

I'd be curious to see the stats on the flip side, where a team lost both the regular season and Super Bowl rematch. Barring that, it could just as likely be that winning in the regular season doesn't inspire the winning team to change the gameplan as drastically in the lead up to the Super Bowl. That's pure conjecture, but something to ponder I suppose.
This is what I think.

I went to the Patriots / Giants game, witnessed the 16-0 game... Walked away knowing I did not want to see the Giants again...

You could literally see the pressure on Brady developing over the course of the game... I do think that playing a team you are not familiar with ( ie not a division game, not an annual opponent like the colts during the 2000's) helps both teams... You get a preview of the scheme and blocking assignments and can work those angles in practice...

We were exceptionally unfortunate in playing the giants so late in the season... If we played the earlier on, say week 6 or 7, I think the super bowl would have turned out different... That late in the season they had fresh film to game plan much more detailed defensive schemes because everything we had, every thing we did was basically exposed on film vs our it's not broke don't fix it approach...

This is said with the caveat that you need good coaches who are smart enough to exploit that... And in 2007 coughlin and spags were smart enough...

And the bastards were lucky on more than a few plays... That always helps...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back