PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could BB be thinking 1st Round QB in 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no doubt in my mind that Pats will draft Tim Tebow next year.

I didnt even see this. Directly before my short paragraph about the guy. Love the thought, bro. Love the thought.

No we got Hoyer i like him

No.
This was a way to get a first for Seymour. Wasn't gonna draw anything approaching that in 2010 because he's over 30 and in the last year of his deal. For any trading partner he was a one or two (at the franchise tag price...) year rental.

Wrong. Seymour's 29

Richard is gone now because he never quite bought all in. And he was injured a lot and couldn't play well trough injuries. Brady consistently has. 85% of Brady is still better than top 5 at the position. 85% of Seymour might as well be on the sidelines. That's probably part of what Hobbs was illuding to. Hindsight is always 20/20 but Richard probably should have been traded after his TC holdout season. They instead took a compromise approach of sorts and gave him his money but only on a short term deal.

Wrong. 50% of Seymour (one leg) > Jarvis Green. Thats why, when Seymour came off the PUP in 2007, he played and Green sat, even though it was obvious to anyone with eyes that he was nowhere near 100%. If that's what Hobbs was alluding to, then Hobbs is an idiot- Seymour had one major injury, which he sustained while playing fullback. In his natural position, he's no more injury-prone than Wilfork or Warren, but once a misperception gets a head of steam around here, there's pretty much no killing it. Everyone just buys in and repeats it.

This is just about turning over the defense. Seymour was never really a leader, though they tried just about everything to develop him into one.

Mayo, Wilfork, and Warren disagree.

I doubt BB did this as a message, Oakland is always just there... But it will be some kind of experience for Seymour working with the Hotel staff and playing in the black hole in a contract season...

Well, at least you're right about something. We got a first round pick offered for a guy in the last year of his contract who we weren't going to be able to re-sign. Bill took the deal, sacrificing a great deal of 2009 production for greater long-term value. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Man the Pats should package a deal and trade up for Bradford this year...as long as the injury isn't too serious...

No.

He will develop Brady's backup as he did Cassel. He's not going to pay some top five draft pick $75M to learn to play within the system. Look what he got out of the 3rd round last season. Look at the former first rounders littering the benches and waiver wires of the NFL.

This was a way to get a first for Seymour. Wasn't gonna draw anything approaching that in 2010 because he's over 30 and in the last year of his deal. For any trading partner he was a one or two (at the franchise tag price...) year rental.

Richard is gone now because he never quite bought all in. And he was injured a lot and couldn't play well trough injuries. Brady consistently has. 85% of Brady is still better than top 5 at the position. 85% of Seymour might as well be on the sidelines. That's probably part of what Hobbs was illuding to. Hindsight is always 20/20 but Richard probably should have been traded after his TC holdout season. They instead took a compromise approach of sorts and gave him his money but only on a short term deal.

This is just about turning over the defense. Seymour was never really a leader, though they tried just about everything to develop him into one. Unfortunately his temperement and being raised by Lawyer kinda set a course that made that impossible. They got his best years on the field cheap, and paid a premium for a couple of lackluster seasons. All in all it was a fair deal for both sides, particularly since we get value for him down the road.

I doubt BB did this as a message, Oakland is always just there... But it will be some kind of experience for Seymour working with the Hotel staff and playing in the black hole in a contract season...

Do you have a source?

(other than your own wild imagination)

I would not be surprised one bit if BB decides to package that 2011 pick for either somebody he really loves in next years draft or to a proven vet, maybe Peppers or even Ware I dunno...

Hear me out... it's just a gut reaction theory but could have some merit...

Belichick is in position to have the #1 pick in the 2011 draft - either outright from the Raiders or by packaging picks to move up.

With a new CBA there could also be an agreement to limit the outrageous salaries of the Top 5 picks (at least) and a salary slotting structure as well.

No doubt, none of expect Brady's skills to be waning 2 years from now... but it never hurts to have a future franchise QB learn the ropes from someone like Brady, sitting and learning a la Steve Young behind Joe Montana for a year or two... today's salary structure makes that near impossible but a CBA that limits rookie salaries could make that feasible.

So the QB sits and learns for two years... depending on how things shake out he's ready to start in 2013 when Brady is 36.

That's an age when a QB's talents could be waning... or BB could determine it's the optimum time to trade Brady himself for a #1 pick etc...

I'm not saying this is what Belichick is thinking today, but he's set himself up nicely to have the draft position to take a franchise player, and whether its 4 years from now or 6 we WILL need another franchise QB.

Just a theory.
Theories are like balloon knots.....

No.

He will develop Brady's backup as he did Cassel. He's not going to pay some top five draft pick $75M to learn to play within the system.

Look around the league.

How many Franchise QBs were taken in the 6th round and developed by their team?

How many Franchise QBs were taken in the 1st round?

I don't think anyone on this board can rule out the fact that Belichick would look at those same stats and recognize that he might not strike gold in the 6th round again.

Heck... it wouldn't surprise me if Belichick struck out with a 3rd round QB let alone a 6th round QB... don't laugh... I have it on good authority that it could happen.

I also wouldn't assume that the Rookie Salaries are going to be as out of hand in the next CBA as they are now.

I'm not saying I KNOW that BB plans on taking a QB in 2011... I'm just saying I don't see how anyone could say they KNOW HE WON'T - especially when Belichick just cut a QB he drafted in the 3rd round, obviously in the hopes of developing him into a starting QB.

Last edited:
Wrong. Seymour's 29

And will turn 30 during this season. He will be over 30 when he signs his next deal. They weren't going to tag and trade him or extend him. There is a reason for that...

Wrong. 50% of Seymour (one leg) > Jarvis Green. Thats why, when Seymour came off the PUP in 2007, he played and Green sat, even though it was obvious to anyone with eyes that he was nowhere near 100%. If that's what Hobbs was alluding to, then Hobbs is an idiot- Seymour had one major injury, which he sustained while playing fullback. In his natural position, he's no more injury-prone than Wilfork or Warren, but once a misperception gets a head of steam around here, there's pretty much no killing it. Everyone just buys in and repeats it.

Green was injured when Seymour came back. We were still undefeated at the time...

Mayo, Wilfork, and Warren disagree.

Read Mayo's quote again. And remember, they all missed Lawyer. He was a leader too, only BB decided after 2002 he wasn't leading this defense the way/in the direction the organization needed it led.

Well, at least you're right about something. We got a first round pick offered for a guy in the last year of his contract who we weren't going to be able to re-sign. Bill took the deal, sacrificing a great deal of 2009 production for greater long-term value. Nothing more, nothing less.

We can sign anyone we want to. It's just a matter of assessing the cost/price. And not just in $$$. We weren't going to sign him because he's not worth top tier $$$ to this franchise any longer, and that had to do with his play as well as his leadership. We only pay the big bucks to guys who are all in and present the whole package. Even at his best Richard's value was limited to his talent on the field. Unlike Brady who is as valuable to the organization off the field as he is to the team on the field.

Belichick is an old school coach who values players he could count on week in and week out. Talent doesn't matter if it can't get or stay on the field. Richard was one of those players who could not play well through injuries. Some can, some can't. And to some extent they are all injured starting week 1.

Rodney, Tedy, Vrabes, even Willie were the leaders on this defense. Richard was a mega talent when healthy but he didn't provide sufficient value on or off the field after his holdout. Otherwise he'd still be here.

Look around the league.

How many Franchise QBs were taken in the 6th round and developed by their team?

How many Franchise QBs were taken in the 1st round?

I don't think anyone on this board can rule out the fact that Belichick would look at those same stats and recognize that he might not strike gold in the 6th round again.

Heck... it wouldn't surprise me if Belichick struck out with a 3rd round QB let alone a 6th round QB... don't laugh... I have it on good authority that it could happen.

I also wouldn't assume that the Rookie Salaries are going to be as out of hand in the next CBA as they are now.

I'm not saying I KNOW that BB plans on taking a QB in 2011... I'm just saying I don't see how anyone could say they KNOW HE WON'T - especially when Belichick just cut a QB he drafted in the 3rd round, obviously in the hopes of developing him into a starting QB.

To date there are two players BB has said would always have a roster spot on this team (despite fans and mediots opinion of their declining value). Brady will be the third and final one. This is his legacy as much as it is Belichick's and Kraft's. Which is why in his case they will work out a deal that satisfies all parties (last time Kraft included a clause that gave Pat's partners first dibs on the QB's off field services...). Barring further catestrophic injury, of course, Brady will play at a high level for several more seasons. He will leave, ala Tedy, when he believes he cannot provide value (to the team or his own legacy) any longer. The organization and the player will continue to reap rewards from their association long after he retires. And he will mentor his ordained successor, just not for a few more seasons. (Although he will mentor anyone who comes along in the interim who could potentially succeed him of necessity, as he did with Cassel, a 7th rounder who hadn't started since HS...).

Last edited:
Brady's contract is up after this season - not 2011.

Brady's contract runs through the 2010 season. Not the 2009 season. Brady's contract ends at the same time the current CBA does.

But I don't think you'll see Brady signed to a contract that's going to run 7 years like other younger QBs out there.
Signing Brady til he's 38 and drafting a Franchsie QB who could be ready to play in 2013 when Brady is 36 and still has enough trade value to warrant a #1st round pick himself?

I think that Brady is right up there with Bruschi in terms of how BB feels about him. I don't see Brady going anywhere.. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he and BB have already discussed Brady's exit strategy.

That strikes me as the types of wheels within wheels thinking that Belichick prides himself on... no one knows what will be happening at any of these points in time - the important thing is that Belichick has given himself the flexibility to re-create a dynasty for another generation.

Its clear to me that BB likes working with players where money isn't the major driver and with players who have their priorities set similar to his. Brady doesn't NEED money and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he settled on a contract extension that wasn't for big bucks... And that the extension, ran through 2015 with the Pats drafting a QB that they can have Brady help groom is a plausible scenario. Though, by 2013, Hoyer could also be ready to take over... Only time will tell.

Bingo! Next year, we will be talking about the Tom Brady trade.

Tom will not settle for a large hometown discount the next time

around. Not after seeing all his peers get big bucks.

Brady didn't get a large home town discount the last time either. People only deluded themselves into believing that.

As for what Brady's peers are getting, you are making the assumption that Brady is only driven by money. I will vehemently disagree with you there. Brady doesn't NEED the money. On the contrary. Brady's money is a pittance compared to his' wife's.

Its my belief that Tom Brady is more like Tedy Bruschi than Richard Seymour when it comes to money.

My absolute best case scenerio for 2011 is the Pats win the SB in in 2010, the Raiders finish with the worst record in football that year giving us the #1 overall pick. There is a hugely overhyped QB coming out that year ( think Eli Manning ) & the Pats trade their pick to some stupid team for a king's ransom.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pats will draft Tim Tebow next year.

What were you told about stealing from Rickey Williams??? Not only is it bad for you, its the cheap stuff to boot..

Please take a moment to expand on this line of thought. I really want to understand what makes you think that Tim Tebow should be drafted by the Patriots.

My absolute best case scenerio for 2011 is the Pats win the SB in in 2010, the Raiders finish with the worst record in football that year giving us the #1 overall pick. There is a hugely overhyped QB coming out that year ( think Eli Manning ) & the Pats trade their pick to some stupid team for a king's ransom.

OK, that scenario I could see...:D They might even grab a QB with part of the ransom, but it will be up to Brady whether he's developing that one as a successor or another trading chip for coach...

Which QB is that? Sam Bradford? Jimmy Claussen? Jevan Snead? Or are you referring to Juniors who might come out?

What were you told about stealing from Rickey Williams??? Not only is it bad for you, its the cheap stuff to boot..

Please take a moment to expand on this line of thought. I really want to understand what makes you think that Tim Tebow should be drafted by the Patriots.

I don't follow college football but isn't Tebow one of those players whose (pre wildcat) value is/was debatable at the QB position???

Belichick is going to have to rebuild this offense in a major way in a few years. That pick will be a TE ... like the good old days. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back