PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Kaepernick wants $18M per year from 49ers

Apparently so. But it sure doesn't scream "leader of men."

tomy-brady-waterslide_crop_340x234.jpg

It's always easy to tell others they should take less money, but if you were being paid 5% of your market value, I really think you'd have a different opinion of the situation.

Great for us that Tom Brady takes less than he has to. Then again, it's a bit easier considering his wife makes more than he does anyways, and Tom has already gotten a few big contracts.

But Kaepernick was a 2nd-round pick after the rookie wage cap came into effect. It means he makes less than $1M this year, and a total of 4 years, $5.129M. Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell, Blaine Gabbert, Drew Stanton, Bruce Gradkowski, Matt Moore, and Charlie Whitehurst are just some of the incredible names to make more than Kaepernick on average.

$18M is a lot of money, but that still only puts him in the Cutler/Romo area of QB salaries, hardly unreasonable or even overpaid. That's what the market will bear, and it's not ridiculous for a starting QB who has led his team to 3 NFCCGs in a row.

And don't just assume because he's a franchise QB, he can hold onto the job as long as he wants. Ask Alex Smith. Or if you don't consider him of that level, see what Joe Montana says, or Drew Bledsoe.

Kaepernick doesn't have to extract every single last dollar, but he should get paid what he's worth at least once in his life. After that, he can choose to go the Brady route if he marries a richer supermodel.

Kaep has started a grand total of 23 regular season games and he walked into a loaded team that was 6-2 or thereabouts when he took over. SF's defense is ridiculous, and Frank Gore is beast. Just to point out how stacked SF was/is, Alex Smith's record was 19-5-1 when Kaep took over.

The guy can play ball, but he's also been helped by both teammates and the system he is in. It's way too early to be claiming that he should command $18 mil per season.

Kaep has started a grand total of 23 regular season games and he walked into a loaded team that was 6-2 or thereabouts when he took over. SF's defense is ridiculous, and Frank Gore is beast. Just to point out how stacked SF was/is, Alex Smith's record was 19-5-1 when Kaep took over.

The guy can play ball, but he's also been helped by both teammates and the system he is in. It's way too early to be claiming that he should command $18 mil per season.

This is probably pretty spot on in my opinion.

If I'm SF, I would wait another year before deciding on anything.

After beating the Carolina Panthers, he got publicly called out for wearing his hat backwards. Not sideways, but backwards, something Brady and Rodgers do without anyone blinking an eye.

It's okay to not like Colin Kaepernick as a player, but to judge him as a man based on his tattoos or the way he wears his hat is absolutely ridiculous. If that's all you know about him, then you really don't know anything about him.

You sure you're not thinking of the Mike Ditka comments (which were ridiculously dumb) about Matthew Stafford wearing his hat backwards? I know that received a ton of publicity. I wasn't aware of Kaepernick's hat wearing issues, aside from the controversy when he wore a MIA Dolphins hat and decided to post pics of it.

I agree that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, so kudos for pointing that out. It's something that we should all remember. That said, there are some other things about Colin that people think (right or wrong) show ****iness and arrogance, so it's possible that some of that comes into play as well.

I'm still on the fence about him, but I can respect and see both sides' arguments.

I still have the GQ issue somewhere in my office of him holding the lamb/goat, whatever it was. I suppose at some point I should clear out 10 year old magazines.

This pic rivals that one though.

Of course, the whole "Stetson" campaign (who the hell wore Stetson in the mid-2000s?) didn't do much to change the general perception. The guy could be the main model for Versace or D & G campaigns, and yet his agent steered him towards cologne that is currently in the dollar bin at your local drug store?

I suppose maybe "Brut" or "Canoe" (Joker has a bottle lying about somewhere, I guarantee it) were already spoken for? Geez...

I am not saying that Colin should or shouldn't command 18 million per season. Because I can see reasons why he should command 18 million a year and I can see reasons why he shouldn't command 18 million a year. Most staring Quarterbacks in the NFL are making 15 million+ a year after only a few years in the league. Some Quarterbacks in the league are making 15 million+ a year haven't led their team to much of anything. Yet they got big bucks because of they are the franchise QB for that team. Thus, how or why Colin's has had the success he's had in SF shouldn't be the only determining factor on how much Colin should be paid.

For those claiming that he shouln't ask for 18 million simply because you want to see more of him in order to determine if he's worth that. Than I disagree because other teams pay their franchise QBs 15 million+ despite not being worth anywhere near that.

If that 18 million to Colin will cause SF to lose great players than I say he needs to reduce his price. However, if SF is able to keep all its great players and pay Colin 18 million than I say go ahead and pay Colin.

I think Colin should take negotiate a deal that is friendly enough towards the cap and fair to Colin. Thereby allowing SF to keep all their great players while paying Colin a reasonable amount considering the industry standard for an NFL franchise QB.

Overall, I can see both sides of the issue

I am not saying that Colin should or shouldn't command 18 million per season. Because I can see reasons why he should command 18 million a year and I can see reasons why he shouldn't command 18 million a year. Most staring Quarterbacks in the NFL are making 15 million+ a year after only a few years in the league. Some Quarterbacks in the league are making 15 million+ a year haven't led their team to much of anything. Yet they got big bucks because of they are the franchise QB for that team. Thus, how or why Colin's has had the success he's had in SF shouldn't be the only determining factor on how much Colin should be paid.

I think Colin should try negotiate whatever deal that is friendly enough towards the cap and fair to Colin. Thereby allowing SF to keep all their great players while paying Colin a reasonable amount considering the industry standard for an NFL franchise QB.

I'd like to see a list of QBs who are making $15+ million after only a few years in the league.

Wrong, Stuporfly...all I have in my vanity is four or five 20-30 year old bottles of Old Spice that my aunts bought me for Christmas....I'm an all natural "musk" man..(otherwise known as pit stink). I get up..S,S,and S..then wash the pits,talc them up a bit and ..see ya'.

You'll find as you get older that it's not so important to impress anybody, in fact, your greatest enjoyment comes from AGGRAVATING everybody.

I'd like to see a list of QBs who are making $15+ million after only a few years in the league.

I'll edit to add more as I get more info and links.

Matt Stafford entered the league in 2009 and by his 4th year in 2013 he signed a 3 year contract extension worth 53 million.

Y! SPORTS

Matt Ryan entered the league in 2008 and by 2013 he signed a 5 year 104 million dollar contract extension.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2013/07/25/matt-ryan-contract-extension/2587609/

I don't think pressure to deliver should make a difference. If anyone is phased by that, they shouldn't be a starting NFL QB.

And I agree that you can't be one-dimensional, but teams can be balanced, successful, and still pay their QBs market rates.

The Giants won while paying Eli a ton (ugh), the Saints with Drew Brees, the Colts with Manning, while Super Bowl runner-ups include high-priced QBs Manning (Colts, Broncos), Steelers (Big Ben), and Patriots (Brady). Teams can still be successful, though the margin of error is thinner.

Kaepernick was given up for adoption, never met his birth father, grew up as a mixed race kid in a white family which raised lots of questions, ignored it all to become a great student with a 4.1 GPA in high school.

He works hard. 2 hours after he was drafted by the 49ers, he met coach Harbaugh at the 49ers facility and started studying film. He was a 2-time All-California baseball player drafted by the Cubs, and he turned down a job with them because he loved playing football.

The tattoos he gets criticized for are verses from the Bible, his back a mural of angels vs. demons. He's deeply religious, just not in your face like Tebow. The man has conviction, the religious kind, not the felony like some of his peers.

He's mature. He not only donates money, but also volunteers his time to Camp Taylor, a camp for kids with heart problems, largely in part because his adopted parents lost two infants to heart diseases before he was adopted.

And he needs to grow up because of the way he wears his ******* hat??? Seriously, WTF?

After beating the Carolina Panthers, he got publicly called out for wearing his hat backwards. Not sideways, but backwards, something Brady and Rodgers do without anyone blinking an eye.

It's okay to not like Colin Kaepernick as a player, but to judge him as a man based on his tattoos or the way he wears his hat is absolutely ridiculous. If that's all you know about him, then you really don't know anything about him.

Are you simply a devoted fan, his agent or a relative? Nice story, great. Is he going to learn to throw with touch? What play off wins has he truly lead?

To whoever mentioned Gore as a future contract issue...there isn't much left on those tires. Sf has logged some serious miles on his back.

Crabtree? What has he done besides being drafted high (after slipping), flap his gums and blow up his Achilles?

Matt Staford entered the league in 2009 and by his 4th year in 2013 he signed a 3 year contract extension worth 53 million.

Y! SPORTS

Detroit's F/O had one hell of a night in Vegas too. Funny what some good blow and high dollar ho's get you...

A Megatron contract for a chump QB, and one monster hang over...

Matt Stafford entered the league in 2009 and by his 4th year in 2013 he signed a 3 year contract extension worth 53 million.

Y! SPORTS

Couple of points. First, Stafford was drafted before the existence of the rookie wage scale. His very first contract was a 6 year, $72 million deal, which is $12 mil per year. He got that contract as the #1 pick in the draft.

Secondly, look at what Stafford has done:

He's is one of four quarterbacks to throw for over 5,000 yards in a single season, has led the NFL in passing attempts in each of the last two seasons, led the NFL with 435 completions in 2012, and has 10,005 yards with 61 touchdowns and 33 interceptions in his last 32 games.

Lastly, he had already been a starting NFL QB for 4 years when that contract extension was done.

Detroit's F/O had one hell of a night in Vegas too. Funny what some good blow and high dollar ho's get you...

A Megatron contract for a chump QB, and one monster hang over...

Actually, given the situation they were in, it was a good deal for Detroit. Stafford isn't their problem.

Couple of points. First, Stafford was drafted before the existence of the rookie wage scale. His very first contract was a 6 year, $72 million deal, which is $12 mil per year. He got that contract as the #1 pick in the draft.

Secondly, look at what Stafford has done:

Lastly, he had already been a starting NFL QB for 4 years when that contract extension was done.

Well I consider 4 years to fit into the category of only been in the league a few years. However, like I said there have been many QB in the NFL who have been paid adsorbent amounts of money and haven't been worth it based on performance. Yet many got paid big despite performance simply because they are the franchise QB for that team. Like I said if the 18 million to Colin will cause SF to lose good players than Colin should cut his asking price. However, if they can fit in all the good players under the cap while paying Colin 18 million than I am fine with it.

Overall, it doesn't matter to me whether or not Colin gets 18 million as long as SF is able to keep their great team in tact. In other words, I don't think Colin has to be paid 18 million a year because it doesn't matter to me either way. However, I am only against Colin getting 18 million a year if it affects the 49ers cap negatively causing them to lose great players.

Well I consider 4 years to fit into the category of only been in the league a few years. However, like I said there have been many QB in the NFL who have been paid adsorbent amounts of money and haven't been worth it based on performance. Yet many got paid big despite performance simply because they are the franchise QB for that team. Like I said if the 18 million to Colin will cause SF to lose good players than Colin should cut his asking price. However, if they can fit in all the good players under the cap while paying Colin 18 million than I am fine with it.

Overall, it doesn't matter to me whether or not Colin gets 18 million as long as SF is able to keep their great team in tact. In other words, I don't think Colin has to be paid 18 million a year because it doesn't matter to me either way. However, I am only against Colin getting 18 million a year if it affects the 49ers cap negatively causing them to lose great players.

4 or 5 (in Ryan's case) years as a starter in the NFL is a heck of a lot more than the 1.5 years as a starter that Kaep has had to date.

My point is that Kaep hasn't done enough to show that he's worth that kind of money as of yet.

4 or 5 (in Ryan's case) years as a starter in the NFL is a heck of a lot more than the 1.5 years as a starter that Kaep has had to date.

My point is that Kaep hasn't done enough to show that he's worth that kind of money as of yet.

I see your point and have understood it from your first post in this thread. As I said in an earlier post I can see both sides. While your concern is understandable, based on my 2 points below whether or not he's worth it doesn't matter to me. Just like whether or not he gets paid 18 million a year doesn't matter to me.

My 1st point is: that there are other QBs in the league that many would consider overpaid based on their performance. However, that didn't stop the General managers of those teams from signing those QBs to ridiculous overpriced contract extensions despite being worth no where near what they were paid.

My 2nd point is: that it shouldn't matter what he's paid as long as the 49ers are able to keep all their great players while remaining under the cap.

I see your point and have understood it from your first post in this thread. As I said in an earlier post I can see both sides.

My point is that there are other QBs in the league that many would consider overpaid based on their performance. However, that didn't stop the General managers of various teams from signing those QBs to ridiculous overpriced contract extensions despite being worth no where near what they were paid.

My other point is that it shouldn't matter what he's paid as long as the 49ers are able to keep all their great players while remaining under the cap.

Those other QBs did actually manage to do things over more than 1.5 years. Stafford is a freak when it comes to passing. Ryan isn't that far behind him.

OF course some QBs are overpaid. Mark Sanchez is a perfect example, as is Sam Bradford. That some front offices have been stupid doesn't mean that it makes sense to hand $18 mil per year to Kaep.

Those other QBs did actually manage to do things over more than 1.5 years. Stafford is a freak when it comes to passing. Ryan isn't that far behind him.

OF course some QBs are overpaid. Mark Sanchez is a perfect example, as is Sam Bradford. That some front offices have been stupid doesn't mean that it makes sense to hand $18 mil per year to Kaep.

I not sure if you are overlooking my second point or not. But why should it matter what Colin is paid as long as the 49ers keep their great team in tact. Also if the team remains successful while paying Colin 18 million a year why should it matter whether or not he's overpaid. You get where I am coming from?

For instance I am no fan of the Rams. However, if I was a Rams fan I wouldn't care if Bradford was overpaid as long as I was able to keep a good team in tact and as long as the team remained successful. Obviously the Rams as a team are in shambles and they haven't been successful lately. Thus, I can see why Rams fans could be upset that Bradford was paid so much money.

So, I guess every day that passes, Tebow becomes even more of a distant memory...that's not a very kind thought is it...

I think even those 2 examples of Sanchez (had consecutive AFCCG appearances only a year before his extension), and Bradford (the last QB in the era of high priced rookie deals) are understandable enough, to be completely honest. I can understand taking the chance on Sanchez due to his then-recent success for helping get his team deep into the playoffs, and the Rams didn't even have a choice with Sam Bradford. If they wanted a QB, they had to pay him, due to the rookie wage scale (or lack thereof).

In Kapernick's case, I fully agree with you. He has only started for 1.5 yrs, and didn't even have much of a good season IIRC in 2013. He was basically carried by the team. On top of that, he's still under his rookie deal, so SF has no obligation whatsoever to have to address it at the moment.

I'm not saying that he's not worthy in the long run (I don't know), but I don't believe he is for at least another year. There's just not enough to go on. Either way, it hardly matters. He'll most likely get a nice new contract that pays him 16+ million, but it may not be for another 12 months or so.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back