PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Kaepernick wants $18M per year from 49ers

So, I guess every day that passes, Tebow becomes even more of a distant memory...that's not a very kind thought is it...

Actually, he just got my college team, Ohio State, into trouble.

Apparently a recruit called, and they let Tebow say hello to him. The whole conversation took 8 seconds total, but they still had to report it to the NCAA.

Can't get away from him! :eek:

(not that he's a bad guy, ChristianCat--because he's not)

So, I guess every day that passes, Tebow becomes even more of a distant memory...that's not a very kind thought is it...

Careful Joker, we are being slow trolled...

Kaep looking for 18 means SF has to part ways. Guess who else plays(-ed) QB, looks to the run too early and is a less than average passer?

uploadfromtaptalk1393915548954.jpg

I think even those 2 examples of Sanchez (had consecutive AFCCG appearances only a year before his extension), and Bradford (the last QB in the era of high priced rookie deals) are understandable enough, to be completely honest. I can understand taking the chance on Sanchez due to his then-recent success for helping get his team deep into the playoffs, and the Rams didn't even have a choice with Sam Bradford. If they wanted a QB, they had to pay him, due to the rookie wage scale (or lack thereof).

In Kapernick's case, I fully agree with you. He has only started for 1.5 yrs, and didn't even have much of a good season IIRC in 2013. He was basically carried by the team. On top of that, he's still under his rookie deal, so SF has no obligation whatsoever to have to address it at the moment.

I'm not saying that he's not worthy in the long run (I don't know), but I don't believe he is for at least another year. There's just not enough to go on. Either way, it hardly matters. He'll most likely get a nice new contract that pays him 16+ million, but it may not be for another 12 months or so.

I disagree though. I don't agree that he was carried by the team. The team was very instrumental in Colin success don't get me wrong. However, Colin made alot great plays in order to help his team win. When he could find someone open he would often run for huge chucks of yardage getting his team a first down etc.

I don't see how he had a bad season. I mean they went to the NFC championship game again this year with him as a starter.

My biggest point is what does it matter whether or not Colin is worth the money as long as the 49ers can keep a great team in tact and remain successful.

in other words I am not saying he is or isn't worth 18 million a year. I am just saying the 49ers organization is not going to care about paying kapernik 18 million as long as the team remains successful with him.

I not sure if you are overlooking my second point or not. But why should it matter what Colin is paid as long as the 49ers keep their great team in tact. Also if the team remains successful while paying Colin 18 million a year why should it matter whether or not he's overpaid. You get where I am coming from?

For instance I am no fan of the Rams. However, if I was a Rams fan I wouldn't care if Bradford was overpaid if I was able to keep a good team in tact and as long as the rams were successful as a team. Obviously the Rams as a team are in shambles and they haven't been successful lately. Thus, I can see why Rams fans could be upset that Bradford was paid so much money.

Why does it matter what he is paid ? Because other players on the team will look at their contribution and want to be paid accordingly as well. For NFL teams, it's a zero sum game. They can only spend up to the cap in salary, and if one person is getting an undeserved amount, then others who should be getting paid aren't. Or the team's hands are tied and they can't bring in players that they need.

BTW< as it stands right now, the 49'ers are about $10 mil under the cap and there's not a lot of room to maneuver. Pretty sure that number doesn't even account for their upcoming draft signings. Releasing Carlos Rogers would only free up about $5.1 mil. Who else are you going to cut in order to free up space to pay Kaep that $18 mil ?

I think even those 2 examples of Sanchez (had consecutive AFCCG appearances only a year before his extension), and Bradford (the last QB in the era of high priced rookie deals) are understandable enough, to be completely honest. I can understand taking the chance on Sanchez due to his then-recent success for helping get his team deep into the playoffs, and the Rams didn't even have a choice with Sam Bradford. If they wanted a QB, they had to pay him, due to the rookie wage scale (or lack thereof).

In Kapernick's case, I fully agree with you. He has only started for 1.5 yrs, and didn't even have much of a good season IIRC in 2013. He was basically carried by the team. On top of that, he's still under his rookie deal, so SF has no obligation whatsoever to have to address it at the moment.

I'm not saying that he's not worthy in the long run (I don't know), but I don't believe he is for at least another year. There's just not enough to go on. Either way, it hardly matters. He'll most likely get a nice new contract that pays him 16+ million, but it may not be for another 12 months or so.

WRT Sanchez, the Jets reached when they moved up to draft him, and they really screwed the pooch when Tanny renegotiated his contract at the start of 2012.

As for the Rams, yeah, they were screwed by the system at the time and the outrageous rookie contracts. Think I read that Bradford became the 3rd or 4th highest paid player in the NFL the day he signed that contract, and that was before he had played a single down. Don't know enough about the details of his contract vis a vis whether St. Louis could have gotten out from under it.

Why does it matter what he is paid ? Because other players on the team will look at their contribution and want to be paid accordingly as well. For NFL teams, it's a zero sum game. They can only spend up to the cap in salary, and if one person is getting an undeserved amount, then others who should be getting paid aren't. Or the team's hands are tied and they can't bring in players that they need.

BTW< as it stands right now, the 49'ers are about $10 mil under the cap and there's not a lot of room to maneuver. Pretty sure that number doesn't even account for their upcoming draft signings. Releasing Carlos Rogers would only free up about $5.1 mil. Who else are you going to cut in order to free up space to pay Kaep that $18 mil ?

I haven't checked into the 49ers current cap situation. I know they resigned Boldin which is great. Anyways like I said several times in this thread, if paying Colin 18 mill is going to negatively affect keeping a great team intact than I am all for telling Colin to cut his asking price. I am just not for asking him to cut his price simply because some think he's not worth it because of his contributions or lack therof.

Tim isn't a distant memory for me. Tim is still out there doing various things like T-mobile commercials and traveling as an espn analyst. I hope to see him back in the NFL down the line.

Actually, he just got my college team, Ohio State, into trouble.

Apparently a recruit called, and they let Tebow say hello to him. The whole conversation took 8 seconds total, but they still had to report it to the NCAA.

Can't get away from him! :eek:

(not that he's a bad guy, ChristianCat--because he's not)

So do you not like seeing more of Tim?

My biggest point is what does it matter whether or not Colin is worth the money as long as the 49ers can keep a great team in tact and remain successful.

Your point and stance are certainly more than reasonable. I'm not really meaning to sell him short, I just think from an organizational standpoint it may benefit them to see another year of him before deciding on a price.

As I said--in the end it probably won't matter, since he's going to get paid handsomely no matter what. The only questions are "how handsomely," and "when." He may have to wait until the spring of next year in 2015, so it's really no big deal either way.

So do you not like seeing more of Tim?

I'm just joking since he went from being the focal point of the summer (aside from the Hernandez situation) on my favorite pro team, to now causing headlines on my favorite college team as well.

I feel as though Tim is following me...if it trickles down to my favorite high school team, I'll know I'm onto something ;)

You already know that I applaud his character, work ethic, and the way that he carries himself as a human being. To be honest, I would hope to achieve the same kind of role model/example setting in many ways. I'm just joking around about the football side of it.

I think they should just pay him. He is clearly a dual threat and has been extremely close to attaining the elusive Lombardi trophy multiple seasons. Fwiw, he is better than many other highly payed qbs such as Flacco, Stafford, Bradford, Romo, Big Ben etc.

I suppose maybe "Brut" or "Canoe" (Joker has a bottle lying about somewhere, I guarantee it) were already spoken for? Geez...

Wrong, Stuporfly...all I have in my vanity is four or five 20-30 year old bottles of Old Spice that my aunts bought me for Christmas....I'm an all natural "musk" man..(otherwise known as pit stink). I get up..S,S,and S..then wash the pits,talc them up a bit and ..see ya'.

You'll find as you get older that it's not so important to impress anybody, in fact, your greatest enjoyment comes from AGGRAVATING everybody.

You see, it's priceless advice like this from my Uncle Joker that allows me to avoid having to pay a shrink thousands of dollars a year that I really can't afford.

After reading your comments, I will go out (or maybe stay in and bother the wife) and annoy someone today. To take it even further, I may just pop in at my local Walgreen's/Rite Aid drug store and pick up a fresh bottle of "Old Spice" in your honor. :rocker:

I think they should just pay him. He is clearly a dual threat and has been extremely close to attaining the elusive Lombardi trophy multiple seasons. Fwiw, he is better than many other highly payed qbs such as Flacco, Stafford, Bradford, Romo, Big Ben etc.

I would not call him a dual threat QB. Because his passing isn't really a threat.

He is in no way a better quarterback than Romo. If I had to choose between those you listed and Kap I would take Romo every day of the week. He isn't really a better QB than anyone else you mentioned. But can maybe be better than some because of his legs.

I'm a Kaepernick fan, I think the price is too much, but that's the price to pay for a franchise QB nowadays.

Seattle and SF are the flavor of the months now, but they got some big decisions coming up. I don't see them being dominant after they make these tough decisions. SF seems to be in turmoil already, and I have the feeling its Harbaugh last year their.

Again makes ME appreciate this team in Foxboro even more. We dished out big contracts, made a bunch of tough decisions, and we still compete every year. Teams like Seattle and SF come and go, but we're their every year.

Right. Because Brady after his 3rd year (kprnk 3rd) got paid $18M/yr

Brady is an exception in many, many ways. I would hate if everything in my life were constantly compared to Tom Brady's ;)

That would be ideal for it not to effect a qb but it's not true. Pressure to perform does get to some qb's. Peyton for example in the last superbowl. I think he really felt the pressure to win that game but it was too great and it had a detrimental effect. Peyton looked lifeless and frozen at metlife 2 months ago.
Motivationally, it's always good to be the underdog. There is less pressure from the outside and from within yourself. Always good to make 14-15 million a year, feel like you're underpaid and play like you have a chip on your shoulder. Ask any coach. What happened to Rocky Balboa in Rocky III?
Kaep can make that money up later from Beats headphones and energy drink advertisements and whatever else.

Do you think Peyton chokes because of the money he earns though? Would he feel less pressure if he earned less?

Sure, Kaep can make back a lot of that money, I don't disagree. It's just nothing is guaranteed. He's potentially one failed slide away from being done.

I don't disagree with the principle of what you're saying. I just think it's always easier to tell someone else they should take less money. And I often wonder if the people who say that would. Could you really leave $10M on the table?

And how, exactly, does this equate to "hardship"? From all accounts he had an excellent upbringing and was very well provided for.

I can't speak from personal experience, as I wasn't adopted, nor was I a mixed-race child, but I can't imagine childhood being Disney-like. Personal questions surrounding self-worth, family, and race must have been constantly on the surface no matter where they went from his first conscious moment. And hey, the national media is nowhere near as terrifying as a schoolyard filled with kids looking to pick on someone different.

There's a ton of scientific research on adopted children and their significant increase in behavioural problems and crime amongst other things, so the fact he's well-adjusted is a credit to his entire family. Things you assume to be matter of fact are really not.

Obviously there are people who have gone through lots more adversity, and there are people who have gone through less. This isn't to say Kaepernick is in the top 10 up there with Mother Theresa or Nelson Mandela or anything or that he will become a saint; it's just to say he's dealt with his more than his fair share of life, mixed in the fame and fortune of being a professional football player, and is still a pretty normal human being.

Kaepernick apparently needs to review his own tattoos more often because his IMMATURE, CHILDISH behaviors contradict their message as well as your misplaced hero worship. But don't just take my word for it. From his ill-advised mockery of Cam Newton's "Superman" celebration to his well-publicized pissing match with Richard Sherman, Kaepernick's "gangsta boy" shenanigans have taken on a life of their own:

Page not found

Colin Kaepernick needs to grow up fast | Cohn Zohn

Time for Colin Kaepernick to man up | Cohn Zohn

Kaepernick defiant about Dolphins hat | ProFootballTalk

Colin Kaepernick unloads on Richard Sherman | ProFootballTalk

Colin Kaepernick, NaVorro Bowman steal Cam Newton's 'Superman' celebration | Audibles - SI.com

I'm certainly not a fan of Kaepernick as a player, and I think the hero worship bit is just a cheapshot. All I am saying is he gets an unfair rap from the masses because of how he looks.

Does he have room to mature? Sure, he's 26 years old. I'm 8 years older and I still have to grow up in many ways. I have no doubt you're the same.

But let's have some proper perspective here. Around his age, Big Ben was accused of raping a girl, Michael Vick was caught fighting dogs. Kaepernick wears his hat sideways and he needs to GROW THE **** UP!

As for his antics, I think they get blown up a bit. First, the Kaepernicking. He kisses his bicep, which is a bit of gloating. Then again, he also has the words "Faith," and "To God the Glory" tattooed there, as well as Psalm 18:39. It's his personal celebration of faith, not really that different than a player pointing to the sky. But even if you don't believe in that, and you think it's based on ego, at least he's not pulling cell phones out of goal posts or Sharpies out of his sock.

I can also think of a certain Patriots team leader wearing a Yankees cap that everyone blew up about a short while ago. Sure, it's a different sport, but I'd rather him wear a Dolphins cap than a Yankees one.

Same team leader also got into it with Sherman on the field quite visibly, though handled it much better off the field. Sherman is an agitator, and a good one. Kaepernick should handle that better, but then again, so should a lot of people much older and more mature than him.

As for mocking Newton, it isn't necessary, and he should be more mature. I'm sure you feel the same way about Bowman who did the same. And those Patriots running around like Jets after an INT and a big blow-out win in 2011 (which would come back to haunt us). For some reason, I missed you calling out Blount for mocking the Ray Lewis dance in the Ravens blowout this season though. I'm sure it was there somewhere...

Again, this is not a defense of everything Kaep does. It's just asking for some perspective here. He's a pretty well-adjusted 26 year-old, and I really think his exterior brings him more attention than his actions deserve.

It's no different than when your best friend tells you a dirty joke, you'll probably laugh. But if somebody you hate does it, you gawk in disbelief. The action itself isn't the problem; it's your feelings towards who did that action.

Kaep has started a grand total of 23 regular season games and he walked into a loaded team that was 6-2 or thereabouts when he took over. SF's defense is ridiculous, and Frank Gore is beast. Just to point out how stacked SF was/is, Alex Smith's record was 19-5-1 when Kaep took over.

The guy can play ball, but he's also been helped by both teammates and the system he is in. It's way too early to be claiming that he should command $18 mil per season.

This is a very sensible post. I think these are excellent points, although I still think Kaepernick will get his money, if not in San Fran, somewhere. The significance of a QB has increased with the rule changes, and whether right or wrong, that is the market price for one.

You sure you're not thinking of the Mike Ditka comments (which were ridiculously dumb) about Matthew Stafford wearing his hat backwards? I know that received a ton of publicity. I wasn't aware of Kaepernick's hat wearing issues, aside from the controversy when he wore a MIA Dolphins hat and decided to post pics of it.

I agree that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, so kudos for pointing that out. It's something that we should all remember. That said, there are some other things about Colin that people think (right or wrong) show ****iness and arrogance, so it's possible that some of that comes into play as well.

I'm still on the fence about him, but I can respect and see both sides' arguments.

This was after beating Carolina this season:

Colin Kaepernick Wears Hat Backwards, Infuriates Sportswriter | The Big Lead

NFL writer rips Colin Kaepernick for wearing his hat backwards

I agree that he still has room to grow and mature as a person, but I do think more is made of it because of his exterior.

Are you simply a devoted fan, his agent or a relative? Nice story, great. Is he going to learn to throw with touch? What play off wins has he truly lead?

To whoever mentioned Gore as a future contract issue...there isn't much left on those tires. Sf has logged some serious miles on his back.

Crabtree? What has he done besides being drafted high (after slipping), flap his gums and blow up his Achilles?

I'm just somebody who knows quite personally what it's like to be judged unfairly based on how I look every single day of my life. Yes, I'm a supermodel. :singing:

Honestly, I didn't really care much for or against the guy, and I'm not a huge fan of him as a player. But I think a lot of unfair things have been said about him largely based on how he looks. I don't think anyone should have to deal with that ever.

If you don't like certain aspects of him as a player, that's fine. If you don't think he's worth the money, that's fine too. If you think he does stupid ****, that's fine as well. But don't blow it up into more than it is just because he has tattoos. Don't fantasize a whole alternate ego for somebody because he doesn't wear his hat the way you think is acceptable.

Or more simply, don't judge a man you know nothing about.

Brady is an exception in many, many ways. I would hate if everything in my life were constantly compared to Tom Brady's ;)

Do you think Peyton chokes because of the money he earns though? Would he feel less pressure if he earned less?

Sure, Kaep can make back a lot of that money, I don't disagree. It's just nothing is guaranteed. He's potentially one failed slide away from being done.

I don't disagree with the principle of what you're saying. I just think it's always easier to tell someone else they should take less money. And I often wonder if the people who say that would. Could you really leave $10M on the table?

I can't speak from personal experience, as I wasn't adopted, nor was I a mixed-race child, but I can't imagine childhood being Disney-like. Personal questions surrounding self-worth, family, and race must have been constantly on the surface no matter where they went from his first conscious moment. And hey, the national media is nowhere near as terrifying as a schoolyard filled with kids looking to pick on someone different.

There's a ton of scientific research on adopted children and their significant increase in behavioural problems and crime amongst other things, so the fact he's well-adjusted is a credit to his entire family. Things you assume to be matter of fact are really not.

Obviously there are people who have gone through lots more adversity, and there are people who have gone through less. This isn't to say Kaepernick is in the top 10 up there with Mother Theresa or Nelson Mandela or anything or that he will become a saint; it's just to say he's dealt with his more than his fair share of life, mixed in the fame and fortune of being a professional football player, and is still a pretty normal human being.

I'm certainly not a fan of Kaepernick as a player, and I think the hero worship bit is just a cheapshot. All I am saying is he gets an unfair rap from the masses because of how he looks.

Does he have room to mature? Sure, he's 26 years old. I'm 8 years older and I still have to grow up in many ways. I have no doubt you're the same.

But let's have some proper perspective here. Around his age, Big Ben was accused of raping a girl, Michael Vick was caught fighting dogs. Kaepernick wears his hat sideways and he needs to GROW THE **** UP!

As for his antics, I think they get blown up a bit. First, the Kaepernicking. He kisses his bicep, which is a bit of gloating. Then again, he also has the words "Faith," and "To God the Glory" tattooed there, as well as Psalm 18:39. It's his personal celebration of faith, not really that different than a player pointing to the sky. But even if you don't believe in that, and you think it's based on ego, at least he's not pulling cell phones out of goal posts or Sharpies out of his sock.

I can also think of a certain Patriots team leader wearing a Yankees cap that everyone blew up about a short while ago. Sure, it's a different sport, but I'd rather him wear a Dolphins cap than a Yankees one.

Same team leader also got into it with Sherman on the field quite visibly, though handled it much better off the field. Sherman is an agitator, and a good one. Kaepernick should handle that better, but then again, so should a lot of people much older and more mature than him.

As for mocking Newton, it isn't necessary, and he should be more mature. I'm sure you feel the same way about Bowman who did the same. And those Patriots running around like Jets after an INT and a big blow-out win in 2011 (which would come back to haunt us). For some reason, I missed you calling out Blount for mocking the Ray Lewis dance in the Ravens blowout this season though. I'm sure it was there somewhere...

Again, this is not a defense of everything Kaep does. It's just asking for some perspective here. He's a pretty well-adjusted 26 year-old, and I really think his exterior brings him more attention than his actions deserve.

It's no different than when your best friend tells you a dirty joke, you'll probably laugh. But if somebody you hate does it, you gawk in disbelief. The action itself isn't the problem; it's your feelings towards who did that action.

This is a very sensible post. I think these are excellent points, although I still think Kaepernick will get his money, if not in San Fran, somewhere. The significance of a QB has increased with the rule changes, and whether right or wrong, that is the market price for one.

I agree that he still has room to grow and mature as a person, but I do think more is made of it because of his exterior.

I'm just somebody who knows quite personally what it's like to be judged unfairly based on how I look every single day of my life. Yes, I'm a supermodel. :singing:

Honestly, I didn't really care much for or against the guy, and I'm not a huge fan of him as a player. But I think a lot of unfair things have been said about him largely based on how he looks. I don't think anyone should have to deal with that ever.

If you don't like certain aspects of him as a player, that's fine. If you don't think he's worth the money, that's fine too. If you think he does stupid ****, that's fine as well. But don't blow it up into more than it is just because he has tattoos. Don't fantasize a whole alternate ego for somebody because he doesn't wear his hat the way you think is acceptable.

There's a consistent theme in when Kaepernick fails, he often makes mistakes because he plays arrogantly, he thinks he can make any throw when he ought to check it down or throw it out of bounds. It wouldnt surprise me if the same thing happens when he gets injured on a run.

Anyway, there's a common theme, "look at me". It comes back to ego, and the tats say the same thing. I'm glad he isn't a rapist, and I mean that, but are you really using that as your measuring stick? Just because you don't rape doesn't mean you don't have growing up to do, and throwing a lot of money at someone just means you're going to see more of what they truly are, you're not going to get something different.

I've said nothing of tattoos...

I just don't think he is worth eighteen million. I think he is vastly over rated and has a lot of growing up to do on the field. It's especially obvious when contrasted to Wilson up in Seattle...

Your point and stance are certainly more than reasonable. I'm not really meaning to sell him short, I just think from an organizational standpoint it may benefit them to see another year of him before deciding on a price.

As I said--in the end it probably won't matter, since he's going to get paid handsomely no matter what. The only questions are "how handsomely," and "when." He may have to wait until the spring of next year in 2015, so it's really no big deal either way.

I'm just joking since he went from being the focal point of the summer (aside from the Hernandez situation) on my favorite pro team, to now causing headlines on my favorite college team as well.

I feel as though Tim is following me...if it trickles down to my favorite high school team, I'll know I'm onto something ;)

You already know that I applaud his character, work ethic, and the way that he carries himself as a human being. To be honest, I would hope to achieve the same kind of role model/example setting in many ways. I'm just joking around about the football side of it.

The problem is they might get Flaccoe'd, if he were to win the SuperBowl, which given the fact that the 49ers are a pretty good team it certainly is possible, that price tag goes even higher.

If i were the 49ers, id give him a 3 year 39 mill contract, fully guaranteed. That averages to 13 mill a season, well below what QBS are being paid today, but he needs to prove he's not just a running qb.

The fact that it would be fully guaranteed would probably make him sign, knowing when the contract is up he's still in his 20's and would then get the big 20 mill contract if he's developed into an efficient passer.

If he fails to prove he's the guy, well he just cashed in 39 million dollars, and could be a potential starter or backup else where, still collecting decent money.

Can't wait to see the Niners and Seahawks get wrecked by the salary cap and their guys coming off of rookie contracts.

BB notes he's readily available to the Pats for signing after the Mallet trade for #33

(Joker's not the only geezer who can be annoying!)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back