PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Kaepernick wants $18M per year from 49ers

This is good for the Pats as it weakens a potential Super Bowl opponent
Well it hasn't been done yet. And SF seems to have the type of coach/front office that wouldn't just give in to paying him that much. Maybe I'm off on that thinking but that's my take.

It would better serve Kaep financially to take a lesser deal and keep a winning team around him. He is marketable and will make more money in endorsements if his teams win.

What happened to the good old days of earning your pay packet before the big score? At least the Ravens carried Flacco to a Super Bowl before he threw his special brand of stupidity out there.

If the 49ers don't want to pay him that much other teams will.

It would better serve Kaep financially to take a lesser deal and keep a winning team around him. He is marketable and will make more money in endorsements if his teams win.

It's always easy to tell others they should take less money, but if you were being paid 5% of your market value, I really think you'd have a different opinion of the situation.

Great for us that Tom Brady takes less than he has to. Then again, it's a bit easier considering his wife makes more than he does anyways, and Tom has already gotten a few big contracts.

But Kaepernick was a 2nd-round pick after the rookie wage cap came into effect. It means he makes less than $1M this year, and a total of 4 years, $5.129M. Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell, Blaine Gabbert, Drew Stanton, Bruce Gradkowski, Matt Moore, and Charlie Whitehurst are just some of the incredible names to make more than Kaepernick on average.

$18M is a lot of money, but that still only puts him in the Cutler/Romo area of QB salaries, hardly unreasonable or even overpaid. That's what the market will bear, and it's not ridiculous for a starting QB who has led his team to 3 NFCCGs in a row.

And don't just assume because he's a franchise QB, he can hold onto the job as long as he wants. Ask Alex Smith. Or if you don't consider him of that level, see what Joe Montana says, or Drew Bledsoe.

Kaepernick doesn't have to extract every single last dollar, but he should get paid what he's worth at least once in his life. After that, he can choose to go the Brady route if he marries a richer supermodel.

They should definitely pay him that. I mean, he got them to, like, the Super Bowl and stuff. Yeah... that's the ticket.

I have a problem believing that NFL quarterbacks who wear baseball caps sideways during nationally televised interviews should be paid at an elite level. This "gangsta boy" has some growing up to do.

Attachments

• Kaepernick.jpg
    Kaepernick.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 98
I have a problem believing that NFL quarterbacks who wear baseball caps sideways during nationally televised interviews should be paid at an elite level. This "gangsta boy" has some growing up to do.

That "look" "style" is exactly why advertisers want him. That sells energy drinks and beats headphones. And why he doesn't need to get top dollar in his qb contract.

It's always easy to tell others they should take less money, but if you were being paid 5% of your market value, I really think you'd have a different opinion of the situation.

Great for us that Tom Brady takes less than he has to. Then again, it's a bit easier considering his wife makes more than he does anyways, and Tom has already gotten a few big contracts.

But Kaepernick was a 2nd-round pick after the rookie wage cap came into effect. It means he makes less than $1M this year, and a total of 4 years, $5.129M. Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell, Blaine Gabbert, Drew Stanton, Bruce Gradkowski, Matt Moore, and Charlie Whitehurst are just some of the incredible names to make more than Kaepernick on average.

$18M is a lot of money, but that still only puts him in the Cutler/Romo area of QB salaries, hardly unreasonable or even overpaid. That's what the market will bear, and it's not ridiculous for a starting QB who has led his team to 3 NFCCGs in a row.

And don't just assume because he's a franchise QB, he can hold onto the job as long as he wants. Ask Alex Smith. Or if you don't consider him of that level, see what Joe Montana says, or Drew Bledsoe.

Kaepernick doesn't have to extract every single last dollar, but he should get paid what he's worth at least once in his life. After that, he can choose to go the Brady route if he marries a richer supermodel.

Good point. But more money = more pressure to deliver. It also means less money to keep other good teammates. You can't be one dimensional as a team.

That "look" "style" is exactly why advertisers want him. That sells energy drinks and beats headphones. And why he doesn't need to get top dollar in his qb contract.
Apparently so. But it sure doesn't scream "leader of men."

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Big Ben, R Wilson and Luck are the only QBs worth 15M+

I disagree. Every SntQB should be paid more than $15m this year (just not by the pats).... :D

I've always liked Colin. He's extremely confident and doesn't have problems expressing that confidence. He's not flawless in his QB game, but he is still a very good player.

I can see why he wants to be paid big bucks. He's been paid less than $1 million per year as a QB since being drafted in 2011. Meanwhile Quarterbacks like Romo, Stafford, Cutler, Ryan etc have inked salaries of 17 million+ per year. However, Colin's asking price may be a little high considering the 49ers have to try and fit all the great players in like Willis,Gore, Crabtree, Boldin,Bowman,Staley etc. under the Cap.

Only $5.129 million earned on his rookie contract! If the developers of TV like Farnsworth and Zworykin had not come along, none of these guys would be "paid what he's worth." They would have their share of stadium gate proceeds and maybe a few extra bucks making a pitch for the local tire company. Their collective salary demands are ludicrous, all the more so in the case of QBs, like Flacco, who hurt their team to cash in on a moment of glory.

Good point. But more money = more pressure to deliver. It also means less money to keep other good teammates. You can't be one dimensional as a team.

I don't think pressure to deliver should make a difference. If anyone is phased by that, they shouldn't be a starting NFL QB.

And I agree that you can't be one-dimensional, but teams can be balanced, successful, and still pay their QBs market rates.

The Giants won while paying Eli a ton (ugh), the Saints with Drew Brees, the Colts with Manning, while Super Bowl runner-ups include high-priced QBs Manning (Colts, Broncos), Steelers (Big Ben), and Patriots (Brady). Teams can still be successful, though the margin of error is thinner.

Kaepernick was given up for adoption, never met his birth father, grew up as a mixed race kid in a white family which raised lots of questions, ignored it all to become a great student with a 4.1 GPA in high school.

He works hard. 2 hours after he was drafted by the 49ers, he met coach Harbaugh at the 49ers facility and started studying film. He was a 2-time All-California baseball player drafted by the Cubs, and he turned down a job with them because he loved playing football.

The tattoos he gets criticized for are verses from the Bible, his back a mural of angels vs. demons. He's deeply religious, just not in your face like Tebow. The man has conviction, the religious kind, not the felony like some of his peers.

He's mature. He not only donates money, but also volunteers his time to Camp Taylor, a camp for kids with heart problems, largely in part because his adopted parents lost two infants to heart diseases before he was adopted.

And he needs to grow up because of the way he wears his ******* hat??? Seriously, WTF?

After beating the Carolina Panthers, he got publicly called out for wearing his hat backwards. Not sideways, but backwards, something Brady and Rodgers do without anyone blinking an eye.

It's okay to not like Colin Kaepernick as a player, but to judge him as a man based on his tattoos or the way he wears his hat is absolutely ridiculous. If that's all you know about him, then you really don't know anything about him.

I don't think pressure to deliver should make a difference. If anyone is phased by that, they shouldn't be a starting NFL QB.

And I agree that you can't be one-dimensional, but teams can be balanced, successful, and still pay their QBs market rates.

The Giants won while paying Eli a ton (ugh), the Saints with Drew Brees, the Colts with Manning, while Super Bowl runner-ups include high-priced QBs Manning (Colts, Broncos), Steelers (Big Ben), and Patriots (Brady). Teams can still be successful, though the margin of error is thinner.

Kaepernick was given up for adoption, never met his birth father, grew up as a mixed race kid in a white family which raised lots of questions, ignored it all to become a great student with a 4.1 GPA in high school.

He works hard. 2 hours after he was drafted by the 49ers, he met coach Harbaugh at the 49ers facility and started studying film. He was a 2-time All-California baseball player drafted by the Cubs, and he turned down a job with them because he loved playing football.

The tattoos he gets criticized for are verses from the Bible, his back a mural of angels vs. demons. He's deeply religious, just not in your face like Tebow. The man has conviction, the religious kind, not the felony like some of his peers.

He's mature. He not only donates money, but also volunteers his time to Camp Taylor, a camp for kids with heart problems, largely in part because his adopted parents lost two infants to heart diseases before he was adopted.

And he needs to grow up because of the way he wears his ******* hat??? Seriously, what are you talking about?

After beating the Carolina Panthers, he got publicly called out for wearing his hat backwards. Not sideways, but backwards, something Brady and Rodgers do without anyone blinking an eye.

It's okay to not like Colin Kaepernick as a player, but to judge him as a man based on his tattoos or the way he wears his hat is absolutely ridiculous. If that's all you know about him, you really don't know what you're talking about.

This post is spot on 100%. Since you mentioned Tim Tebow first in your post, I will mention him. Tebow wears his hat backwards often and I don't think it makes him immature or bad etc.

Right. Because Brady after his 3rd year (kprnk 3rd) got paid $18M/yr

Kaepernick is gonna get PAID, which means less money for the rest of San Fran's roster. But that's about the expected price for a franchise QB.

Also, I heard on XM Sirius radio J.H. wants more money, with 2 more
years on his present contract. Plus some players are not happy with
their coach. Hmmmmmm. Pay Collin !!!!

That would be ideal for it not to effect a qb but it's not true. Pressure to perform does get to some qb's. Peyton for example in the last superbowl. I think he really felt the pressure to win that game but it was too great and it had a detrimental effect. Peyton looked lifeless and frozen at metlife 2 months ago.
Motivationally, it's always good to be the underdog. There is less pressure from the outside and from within yourself. Always good to make 14-15 million a year, feel like you're underpaid and play like you have a chip on your shoulder. Ask any coach. What happened to Rocky Balboa in Rocky III?
Kaep can make that money up later from Beats headphones and energy drink advertisements and whatever else.

And how, exactly, does this equate to "hardship"? From all accounts he had an excellent upbringing and was very well provided for.

And he needs to grow up because of the way he wears his ******* hat??? Seriously, WTF?

It's okay to not like Colin Kaepernick as a player, but to judge him as a man based on his tattoos or the way he wears his hat is absolutely ridiculous. If that's all you know about him, then you really don't knordw anything about him.
Kaepernick apparently needs to review his own tattoos more often because his IMMATURE, CHILDISH behaviors contradict their message as well as your misplaced hero worship. But don't just take my word for it. From his ill-advised mockery of Cam Newton's "Superman" celebration to his well-publicized pissing match with Richard Sherman, Kaepernick's "gangsta boy" shenanigans have taken on a life of their own:

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...ernick-should-take-notes-from-russell-wilson/

http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/17757/colin-kaepernick-needs-to-grow-up-fast/

http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/17771/time-for-colin-kaepernick-to-man-up/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/05/kaepernick-defiant-about-dolphins-hat/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/30/colin-kaepernick-unloads-on-richard-sherman/

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/12/colin-kaepernick-steals-cam-newton-superman-celebration/

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back