PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coples looked like ****.
nope, he didn't look like a probowler against nfl starters but he made some nice plays against the backups. He doesn't look as NFL ready as some of the other rookie passrushers though.
Chandler Jones gets compared to JPP by a Pro Bowl LT who Jones got the best of in a head to head battle in a preseason game. Coples gets compared to JPP by his head coach who once compared Vernon Gholston to Terrell Suggs. I wonder who won the battle of JPP comparisons. :D

Quinton Coples is probably the last player getting smoke blown up his ass. One of the many reasons the Jets have the problems that they do. BB is a master motivator while Rex Ryan tells his kids how great they are to everybody when reality is they haven't proven a thing.

"I'm sure it was a bust of a pick," he said, adding, "Come on, go back and read all the things the experts said. The difference is the experts watch tape; we knew what we were getting."

"With the 6th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the experts select Verne Gholston...."

"With the 5th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the experts select Mark Sanchez"

"With the 29th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the experts select Kyle Wilson...."

Three busts/overdrafts by those same experts who are preening after one exhibition game. Nice job, Rex!

"With the 6th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the experts select Verne Gholston...."

"With the 5th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the experts select Mark Sanchez"

"With the 29th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the experts select Kyle Wilson...."

Three busts/overdrafts by those same experts who are preening after one exhibition game. Nice job, Rex!

I wouldn't say Sanchez or Wilson are busts. Sanchez is a starting QB and Wilson is on the field a lot. Major disappointments is a better way to state it, but they do get production out of them.

Considering the Jets haven't had a good draft since 2007 though, Rex shouldn't be acting like a draft expert.

I wouldn't say Sanchez or Wilson are busts. Sanchez is a starting QB and Wilson is on the field a lot. Major disappointments is a better way to state it, but they do get production out of them.

Considering the Jets haven't had a good draft since 2007 though, Rex shouldn't be acting like a draft expert.

busts/overdrafts

While I don't think just being on the field means a player's not a bust (JaMarcus Russell comes to mind), I consider Sanchez and Wilson to be overdrafts to this point. Both seem to have been taken far above where their post-draft play would seem to warrant.

Last edited:
busts/overdrafts

While I don't think just being on the field means a player's not a bust (JaMarcus Russell comes to mind), I consider Sanchez and Wilson to be overdrafts to this point. Both seem to have been taken far above where their post-draft play would seem to warrant.

I agree with your definition, just I guess not the word. I look at busts are guys who don't do much of anything in the NFL. Sanchez is mediocre, but there are still plenty of starting QBs worse than him (if you can imagine that). Wilson has had streaks of being a very good nickelback, but overall is mediocre at it (and was a liability at the end of the year last year losing playing time to scrubs).

Just one word of caution before we have Jones fitted for his bust in Canton. He did a great job in his first outing, but his next one is going to be tougher and so is the next, etc. Teams will start to get more and more film on him, and offenses will start to prepare better and become much more complex in the way they attack him in the future. As things become more complex, it causes hesitation, and hesitation kills, until the confusing becomes 2nd nature, and that takes time.

You have to love what you see.....so far. But there will be hiccups along the way. Lets not raise the expectations too high just yet.

Just one word of caution before we have Jones fitted for his bust in Canton. He did a great job in his first outing, but his next one is going to be tougher and so is the next, etc. Teams will start to get more and more film on him, and offenses will start to prepare better and become much more complex in the way they attack him in the future. As things become more complex, it causes hesitation, and hesitation kills, until the confusing becomes 2nd nature, and that takes time.

You have to love what you see.....so far. But there will be hiccups along the way. Lets not raise the expectations too high just yet.

It was one game. In fact, it was really a quarter and a half.... of a preseason game. The fact that he pushed around a Pro Bowl LT is definitely extremely encouraging, but there is a chance that he peaked for his career on Thursdy night. I tend to doubt it based on all the reports on him, but it is possible.

I agree with your definition, just I guess not the word. I look at busts are guys who don't do much of anything in the NFL. Sanchez is mediocre, but there are still plenty of starting QBs worse than him (if you can imagine that). Wilson has had streaks of being a very good nickelback, but overall is mediocre at it (and was a liability at the end of the year last year losing playing time to scrubs).

Gholston - Bust

Sanchez, Wilson - overdrafts

I wouldn't say Sanchez or Wilson are busts. ...OK...I'll say it for you...they're 44 DDD busts...hmmm.wait...that's not so bad is it??.. Sanchez is a starting QB and Wilson is on the field a lot. Major disappointments is a better way to state it, but they do get production out of them. ...no no no...General Disasters is the best way to frame them...:woohoo:

Rex...acting.....LOL x 100 billion

The guy was amazing against the 2s and 3s, but Jets fans are overanalyzing the five plays he played vs. the ones to make it seem like he accomplished something far more than he did. It was a good start for a rookie in his first preseason game, but I bet he still hasn't earned a starting position yet.
You know preseason is like the night before Christmas for jets fans. all full of hope and anticipation and the dreams are still alive. Shouldn't we as Patriots fans take pitry on them and at least go along and pretend that they're great. Should we not show an ounce of humanity and considerthe suffering our fellow human beings have been goingthrough for most of my lifetime?

Who am I kidding...carry on.

You are 100% correct, and the Pats won't let Jones get a swelled head. From the Herald this morning:

Jones has started to make an impression, but his teammates understand there is a long way to go. “He’s come in and he’s worked hard,” linebacker Jerod Mayo said. “It’s one thing to earn our respect, but you’ve got to earn the respect of the coaches.”

Coach Bill Belichick was typically subdued when asked to evaluate Jones after his stellar debut last week. “I think really all the players that I saw — especially the rookies — some of them did some good things,” Belichick said. “There’s a long way to go. We have a lot of work to do. I don’t want to get too up or too down on anything. We just want to keep working and getting better.”

Rookie end Chandler Jones beyond comparison - BostonHerald.com

Nice article on Jones and training camp by Charles Pierce.

Patriots training camp and Chandler Jones - Grantland

Jones was one of the last ones off the field Monday, smiling in the middle of a media scrum, long trickles of sweat running down his face and cascading off his chin. "It's been great," he said. "I've been enjoying it." And, oddly enough, you believe him.

Liked the article once Pierce got thru his typical 1st 3 paragraphs of "how clever am I" writing. Turns a phrase extremely well but rarely insightful.

Liked the article once Pierce got thru his typical 1st 3 paragraphs of "how clever am I" writing. Turns a phrase extremely well but rarely insightful.

Its almost impossible to make a column out of quotes from player and coach of the Pats, so Pierce goes the other way and makes the article completely about himself.

Good strategy if you are on a word count and hope everyone reads ESPN at a grade 2 level. Unfortunately, it begs the question of why anyone from Grantland would spend the money to send a writer to Boston to cover the least interesting interviews in the league. For a sports website that fancies itself culturally important, doing exactly what Mike Reiss is doing doesnt seem prudent.

I would have stopped reading at "Life's mysteries are many and they are indeed mysterious", but if you say it gets better I'll keep reading.

I remember the great Pats Defenses back in 2004 and 2005 when the Pats had the young rookie DL stud in Vince Wilfolk, and an older outside pass rusher in Willie McGinnest.

The French say, " Il y'a chose, la plus meme chose". Or "Things change, the more they stay the same".

Now we have the older stud veteran in Vince, and the new rookie stud reminiscent of a young Willie McG. May the resultant Defense start to resemble those of 2004 and 2005.

The French say, " Il y'a chose, la plus meme chose". Or "Things change, the more they stay the same".

:confused: That must be the way they say it in Quebec. :D

I would have stopped reading at "Life's mysteries are many and they are indeed mysterious", but if you say it gets better I'll keep reading.

Does it really say that?? What a Chump!!
jester.gif

Does it really say that?? What a Chump!!
jester.gif

Aww, come on OTG...read the article before laughing at the author! It was totally tongue in cheek.

I guess I'm alone, but I rather enjoyed his piece. You just can't evaluate it as reportage, because it's clearly not intended as such -- it's a humorous essay on the training camp experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST