PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
all I got is Coples did zero as Cincy's 1st team drove 90 plus yards straight downfield...he was invisible...then the Cincy 2nd team came on the field and Coples became this legendary all pro, according to Jte fanboys..it's the first preseason game...Jones and Coples are rookies...they made it through their baptism without getting embarrassed or destroyed...that's about it...check back on September 9th for the REAL look at what these two players offer

As the game went on there was one play that I saw which kinda told me that Bushrod was adjusting to Jones' attack. Saints have the ball 3rd down and 3. 13:51 in the 2nd quarter. As Jones rushes the passer (Daniels), instead of putting two hands in in Jones' chest area to block, Bushrod uses his hands to displace Jones' arms from ever reaching making contact. Without that strong arm push, Jones was less effective...as any pass rusher would be. I am simply asking this: if O-Linemen take away Jones' effectiveness as a bull rusher, how long before he learns another route to the quarterback?

Bushrod went against Jones for two days before the preseason game and you are telling me that he didn't figure it out for those two practices and the entire first quarter of the game. It was only when Belichick put back in the starting defense for the two minute drill at the end of the second quarter that Bushrod figured out how to defend Jones? Or maybe it was because Jones thought he was done for the night and wasn't prepared to go back in for the two minute drill or maybe Belichick had a different scheme. Or maybe it was one or two plays.

BTW, word out of camp by most observers that he has displayed a lot of different moves and seemed more polished at them that you would expect a rookie to have. That is what most of the media have been looking at because the book of him when he was drafted was that he was supposed to need work on developing more moves. Apparently according to camp reports, he has.

Last edited:
all I got is Coples did zero as Cincy's 1st team drove 90 plus yards straight downfield...he was invisible...then the Cincy 2nd team came on the field and Coples became this legendary all pro, according to Jte fanboys..it's the first preseason game...Jones and Coples are rookies...they made it through their baptism without getting embarrassed or destroyed...that's about it...check back on September 9th for the REAL look at what these two players offer

Coples did penetrate the line on a run play where the play was designed to go to the other side of the line, but that could have been by design because the Bengals pulled the guard to block for the runner away from Coples. Otherwise, Coples didn't do anything with the ones.

They are some of the best current and past NTs. The round they were taken with was irrelevant to the point I was making about NTs often taking time.

"Only 11" is significant, since he wasn't a day one starter. We've got people here questioning Poe because he's not currently listed #1 on the depth chart when the Chiefs haven't even played their first exhibition game.

Again, they are top NTs.

You want every pick to look good from day one. However, it's understood that certain positions take more time. One of those is the NT position, especially if you're taking a guy who was playing in a 4-3 in college and converting him.

Poe's got technique issues, but he's far enough along that he's working with the 1's in sub packages. People here talk about waiting on players when they are Patriots players, but they love to jump on the players from other teams.

Settle down, man. So worked up because you don't like someone else's opinion about a player on another team? You need to find yourself a lady friend.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is just a small sample size of a few snaps of a preseason game. Please point out to me if I am biased in my opinion
Congratulations! I see you have graduated from JI's Rah Rah School of Misinformation. Nothing like NY Jets Fans propaganda at its finest.

Last edited:
Bushrod went against Jones for two days before the preseason game and you are telling me that he didn't figure it out for those two practices and the entire first quarter of the game. It was only when Belichick put back in the starting defense for the two minute drill at the end of the second quarter that Bushrod figured out how to defend Jones? Or maybe it was because Jones thought he was done for the night and wasn't prepared to go back in for the two minute drill or maybe Belichick had a different scheme. Or maybe it was one or two plays.

I think its pretty obvious that Bushrod did not know Chandlers full abilities on game day. Your talking about a LT that shut down some of the best pass rushers in the NFL sense 2009, even ware had a hard time with him.
Oh yeah he fails, but never twice usually, and hes a 4 quarter LT. So, eifmp is making sense. Bushrod was not manhandled for the entire 1st quarter. I seem to remember a few pockets that lasted for a very long time, and some runs his way. A holding that was a good plant putting Jones on the ground. You bull rush your getting a OLmen of their feet, but you plant a full grown man like that on the field, thats power.
Chandler looks to be a kid that has it in my book though. I think hes special.
But, special never means unbeatable. There are just as many LT's that can handle them for 4 quarters.

Last edited:
Coples did penetrate the line on a run play where the play was designed to go to the other side of the line, but that could have been by design because the Bengals pulled the guard to block for the runner away from Coples. Otherwise, Coples didn't do anything with the ones.

As per Rich Cimini, Espn Jets Blog Beat writer: "Coples didn't start, and he ended up playing only five of 18 snaps with the first unit."

Coples Debut

Here are 3 of them besides the ones you mentioned where he penetrated the line but the ball was ran on the other side of the LOS.

1st and 10 from the Bengals 44 yard line. 3:13 to go in the 1st quarter: Dalton takes the snap and hands to BJGE, running left. Coples stands up his blocker, #77 Andrew Whitworth, and was the first Jet to penetrate the line. Calvin Pace, however, failed to set the edge; and BJGE ran around said edge for 11 yards. This is the play where I noted in my previous post about Coples' lack of elite chase down speed.

Very next play: 1st & 10 from the Jets 45. Dalton takes the snap and drops back to pass. Coples easily gets past #71, Andre Smith, and if not for being chipped by the backer, running into his own teammate, and maybe being held...might've gotten the sack. Still, Dalton was forced to throw it away.

Very next play: 2nd & 10: Dalton hands off to Green-Ellis who tries to run left behind the block of #64, Kyle Cook. However, Coples stands him up at the line. As a result, BJGE was delayed long enough for Wilkerson to able to get BJGE legs from behind for the tackle.

After that...Coples was taken out and did not play again until the 2nd team offense was in. I will admit that he did get winded during the 3rd quarter. Better for it to happen now than in game one.

EDIT: I recorded the game. Anyone know a decent video editing app I could use so I can cut up plays of the game and post them?

As per Rich Cimini, Espn Jets Blog Beat writer: "Coples didn't start, and he ended up playing only five of 18 snaps with the first unit."

Coples Debut

Here are 3 of them besides the ones you mentioned where he penetrated the line but the ball was ran on the other side of the LOS.

1st and 10 from the Bengals 44 yard line. 3:13 to go in the 1st quarter: Dalton takes the snap and hands to BJGE, running left. Coples stands up his blocker, #77 Andrew Whitworth, and was the first Jet to penetrate the line. Calvin Pace, however, failed to set the edge; and BJGE ran around said edge for 11 yards. This is the play where I noted in my previous post about Coples' lack of elite chase down speed.

Very next play: 1st & 10 from the Jets 45. Dalton takes the snap and drops back to pass. Coples easily gets past #71, Andre Smith, and if not for being chipped by the backer, running into his own teammate, and maybe being held...might've gotten the sack. Still, Dalton was forced to throw it away.

Very next play: 2nd & 10: Dalton hands off to Green-Ellis who tries to run left behind the block of #64, Kyle Cook. However, Coples stands him up at the line. As a result, BJGE was delayed long enough for Wilkerson to able to get BJGE legs from behind for the tackle.

After that...Coples was taken out and did not play again until the 2nd team offense was in. I will admit that he did get winded during the 3rd quarter. Better for it to happen now than in game one.

EDIT: I recorded the game. Anyone know a decent video editing app I could use so I can cut up plays of the game and post them?

I watched his plays with the ones twice and I didn't get the same read. I can't remember the plays specifically, but the first play you describe sounds like "If it wasn't for the fact that he was blocked, he was unblockable".

I think its pretty obvious that Bushrod did not know Chandlers full abilities on game day. Your talking about a LT that shut down some of the best pass rushers in the NFL sense 2009, even ware had a hard time with him.
Oh yeah he fails, but never twice usually, and hes a 4 quarter LT. So, eifmp is making sense. Bushrod was not manhandled for the entire 1st quarter. I seem to remember a few pockets that lasted for a very long time, and some runs his way. A holding that was a good plant putting Jones on the ground. You bull rush your getting a OLmen of their feet, but you plant a full grown man like that on the field, thats power.
Chandler looks to be a kid that has it in my book though. I think hes special.
But, special never means unbeatable. There are just as many LT's that can handle them for 4 quarters.

I never said that Bushrod was manhandled the entire first quarter. But Brees threw four times in that game and Jones clearly beat Bushrod on two of them pressuring Brees and could have sacked Brees on both if not for hold and him tripping over the turf on the other play. Unlike eifmp, I can provide video evidence.

One play :)33 on video below), Jones blows past Bushrod (does not appear to be a bullrush) and slipped on the turf with a clear shot for Brees. On the other play (see 1:18 on video below), Jones gets his hand on Brees but Bushrod is holding him back from getting a sack and draws the flag. At about :40, he drives Bushrod back into the running lane to allow him to get a tackle for loss.

Patriots Today - Jones explosive in preseason game

My only point was that I don't buy that Bushrod went up against Jones for two practices and the entire first quarter and then finally figured him out when Belichick put back in the ones at the end of the first quarter when everyone including Bushrod thought they were done for the night. Why would Bushrod even be still trying to figure out how to defend Jones when he thought there was no way both teams would face each other again this year unless both teams make the Super Bowl.

It's hard for me to get too excited about Jones based on one preseason game to be honest. The only thing that keeps popping in my mind are past preseason performers that bombed (remember when Chris Baker scored 2 TD's in the first preseason a few years ago, and everyone went nuts?) Now, I realize there is an obvious difference between Jones and Baker, but my point is...I don't think people should make is "bust" for Canton quite yet.

With that being said, it IS exciting to see someone with that kind of potential in the front 7. His raw talent is obvious, and if he can consistently bring what he brought in the first preseason throughout and entire season, I think we have a very special player on our hands.

It's hard for me to get too excited about Jones based on one preseason game to be honest. The only thing that keeps popping in my mind are past preseason performers that bombed (remember when Chris Baker scored 2 TD's in the first preseason a few years ago, and everyone went nuts?) Now, I realize there is an obvious difference between Jones and Baker, but my point is...I don't think people should make is "bust" for Canton quite yet.

With that being said, it IS exciting to see someone with that kind of potential in the front 7. His raw talent is obvious, and if he can consistently bring what he brought in the first preseason throughout and entire season, I think we have a very special player on our hands.

I agree it is early, but comparing him to Chris Baker is a little silly. Baker scored two TDs vs. guys who were working at 7/11 a few months later. Jones was going up against a Pro Bowl left tackle and dominated him for much to the time they played each other.

It doesn't mean anything at this point, but it is a very positive sign. A far more positive sign than Baker scoring a TD over a guy who delivered me my UPS package last week.

I started reading Gregg Rosenthal's weekend wrapup because I wanted to see what he said about Luck; I agreed with most of his observations on the rookie QB.

But scrolling down, I almost choked on this:

Not to be outdone by New England Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones, New York Jets rookie Quinton Coples was sensational in his preseason opener. His performance got lost in all the Tim Tebow-Mark Sanchez talk.

Mmm, losing some credibility there dude.

Being unblocked because you are away from the play and shooting the gap and taking yourself out of the play, is still not doing anything.

Peter King gives Jones the Defensive Player of the Week:

Defensive Player of the Week

New England DE Chandler Jones. On his second play as a pro, Jones, starting at right end, pushed New Orleans left tackle Jermon Bushrod back into Drew Brees' lap, forcing Brees to roll right and throw an incompletion. Jones got good push on the next snap as well, and I am reminded of what Mike Mayock said on draft day about Jones, the 21st pick in round one last April: He said Jones' best football was ahead of him, and he'd turn out to be the best defensive player to come out of this draft.

Nice debut. I watched his snaps against New Orleans' starting offensive line on tape Friday morning, during which Jones played right end in the 4-3 eight snaps and right end in the 3-4 four times. Here's how I saw his production:
Snaps: 13 (not including two penalties).
Holding penalties drawn: 2 (both called on Bushrod).
QB pressures: 3.

Read more: Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III star; Chad Johnson tempted fate - Peter King - SI.com

Of course Jets fans will claim that King is just a Patriots rump swab who, if was unbiased, would have Coples.

Of course Jets fans will claim that King is just a Patriots rump swab who, if was unbiased, would have Coples.

And unbiased Rex Ryan thinks that it's his boy Coples who should be getting the comparisons to JPP:

Rex Ryan just raised the bar for rookie DE Quinton Coples.

The Jets' coach, still glowing (and crowing) over Coples' impressive debut last Friday night in Cincinnati, said Monday that his No. 1 draft pick has "measurables" similar to those of Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul. A pretty lofty comparison.

"It's funny, when you look at the numbers when Pierre-Paul came out and when Quinton Coples came out, the measurables are almost identical, except that Quinton is an inch taller and 20 pounds heavier," Ryan said. "Pierre-Paul has those long arms that reach for days like (Muhammad Wilkerson). I'm sure he has the longest arms I've ever seen on a guy, but they're two unusual talents. These guys are unusual guys and, hopefully, Quinton can be the same kind of player Pierre-Paul ended up being. This guy can really hit it."

Pierre-Paul, the 15th overall pick in 2010, recorded 16.5 sacks last season. Coples was the 16th pick after a lackluster senior year that caused his stock to drop. The Jets received some criticism for picking Coples, something that Ryan likes to remind the media.

"I'm sure it was a bust of a pick," he said, adding, "Come on, go back and read all the things the experts said. The difference is the experts watch tape; we knew what we were getting."

Rex report: Coach compares Coples to JPP - AFC East Blog - ESPN

Rex on Couples.

"I'm sure it was a bust of a pick," he said, adding, "Come on, go back and read all the things the experts said. The difference is the experts watch tape; we knew what we were getting."

Is there ever a week go by where Rex doesn't tell us all on how great he is?

Rex on Couples.

Is there ever a week go by where Rex doesn't tell us all on how great he is?

week?.....WEEK?????????????????????????????

try DAY....this clown mutt yaps every friggin' day

Being unblocked because you are away from the play and shooting the gap and taking yourself out of the play, is still not doing anything.

Yeah, there is a thread of breaking down Coples' plays with the first team started eifmp crediting Coples with blown blocking assignments by the Bengals' line and overshooting plays because he busted through the line and overran the play.

Yes, being able to bust through the line is great, but you gotta have situational awareness. Sometimes it is better not to bust through the line and hold your position so you can make the play. Coples seemed to lose track of the play in several of the plays that he went up against the #1s. It is correctable, but a lot of players never do.

The guy was amazing against the 2s and 3s, but Jets fans are overanalyzing the five plays he played vs. the ones to make it seem like he accomplished something far more than he did. It was a good start for a rookie in his first preseason game, but I bet he still hasn't earned a starting position yet.

I mean Drew Brees threw 5 passes on Thursday night and Jones played a role in him not completing the four he missed (and drawing a holding call on one of them). Yet Jets fans seem to think Coples had a far better game because Belichick pulled Jones with the rest of the ones rather than allowing him to beat on the 2s and 3s through the fourth quarter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey