PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Pats ready to deal Laurence Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Are the New England Patriots Ready To Deal Laurence Maroney?

You are comparing apples and oranges here.......really.......two entirely different positions........

I wasn't the one who made the initial comparison, I was just showing how ridiculous it was to compare the two. It doesn't matter what positions you are comparing though. Gholston didn't even make a significant impact on special teams. He was the sixth pick in the draft. That is only excusable if you are a QB and the team is letting you mature. Maroney was drafted in the 20s and contributed right away.

I do agree that it is apples and oranges though. So much more was expected of Gholston than Maroney and so much less was delivered. Plenty of other rookie OLBs/DEs made far more of an impact last year than Gholston. Heck, an undrafted rookie free agent in Gary Guyton outshown Gholston by a mile.

Sorry to go on a Gholston rant. I felt the Maroney Gholston reference was stupid to begin with (I didn't bring him up). Gholston is shaping up to be one of the worst draft picks in draft history (not just last year) and to compare him to Maroney is silly even if they played the same position.

Re: Are the New England Patriots Ready To Deal Laurence Maroney?

Nobody's claiming he's a 'crappy' RB.

Clearly you're not actually reading this thread.

As to Maroney being a dancer, and not hitting the hole, heres a stat for you:

In 2007, Lawrence Maroney had a success rate of 58%. Success rate is runs of 4 yards or more on 1st and 10, 60% of required yards on second down, 100% on third down. A negative run is always an unsuccessful play.

58% was good for 2nd in the league.

Can't believe we have a 13pg thread about some blogger who got to thinking.
How could the Pats free up cap space. Then, comes up with the novel idea of trading Maroney which doesn't free any. Bang on brothers. Sept. can't get here soon enough.

So the mainstream media articles about the Patriots aren't bad enough?

Isn't this the third time a bleacher report article has been referenced this week?

So the mainstream media articles about the Patriots aren't bad enough?

Isn't this the third time a bleacher report article has been referenced this week?

Between the dead time, the terrible articles, the posts that have been even worse and the newly ratcheted up censorship levels here, I'm very happy that McDaniels and Pioli moved on so that I can at least watch the maneuverings of a couple of other teams and keep some level of interest.

After seeing his cap hit and that it would cost NE to cut him or trade, I really doubt hes going anywhere unless its part of some big trade. I think BJGE might be a chief or bronco next year unless we carry 5 backs on the roster like last year.

Last edited:
They should get anything for him. His cap hit is a sunk cost, no point in looking at that. They pay him his salary this year, get nothing out of him and then he leaves (probably the league) after the year.

Not sure anyone would want him, maybe a 6th or so.

Peppers is different story. REalistically they just can't afford him. Doesn't matter if they don't have to give up any draft picks, he's too expensive.

I'm thinking someone like Shonn Greene would be good. Runs downhill, hard, and doesn't dance. Maroney runs upright, that's half his problem.

Also, I don't think Maroney is well liked or respected, just my opinion,

Excellent post. IMO he is a gonner the minute they got Taylor who is not going to sit. Maroneys biggest issue, he has terrible vision for an RB. Nobody on this site can deny that. How many time have you seen him run into a pile and one cut of 5% or 10% and he's gone. This is not a new theory. The best backs have it. You simply run where they ain't and by the way, don't fall down when the first guy touches you. Nobody can deny that in this argument. He goes down on the first hit. The other is the desire to play. How hurt is hurt for Maroney? If you can't play with dings in this league, you are out.
DW Toys

I just went through and recorded every carry that Maroney had in the 2007 season, and he lost yardage on 19 of 222 carries: 8.5%. Deciding that I needed a comparable, I randomly decided to use Fred Taylor's (very good) 2007 season: 16 negative carries in 229 attempts: 7.0%.

That's right, guys, for every 200 carries that they have, Maroney will lose yardage on 3 more carries than Taylor does. Therefore, he is a ballerina with no vision who loses yardage on every other play because he sucks. Face it: whatever negative image the Maroney-bashers have of him, the stats just don't back it up.

The reality is simple: when healthy, Maroney is a pretty good RB. He's not as good as you'd like your first round pick to be, but that's in the past. All that matters now is that he's better than anyone that could reasonably replace him at this point, and there is no comparison whatsoever between him and BJGE.

Last edited:
He will be in the NFL next year. Even if he gets IRed without playing a down this season, he will be on someone's roster in 2010. That's not a homer speaking: that's just acknowledging that, regardless of how little you think he's done with it, Maroney does have talent, and some coach will think that he can get something out of him. Is Heath Evans can play in this league, so can Maroney. If understanding that makes me a homer, then every sane, rational person on this board must be one.

Well if Heath Evans had to make it on running ability, he wouldn't last long. Not trying to offend you I just think Maroney while talented, just isn't going to make it.

After seeing his cap hit and that it would cost NE to cut him or trade, I really doubt hes going anywhere unless its part of some big trade. I think BJGE might be a chief or bronco next year unless we carry 5 backs on the roster like last year.

$700k? Definitely not a deal breaker. O.K. think this through. They pick up hopefully a third or fourth rounder who makes the squad and is productive....or do we keep him to...return kicks(?) and get zero in 2010 when he is gone? Bowlen just traded Cutler with a bill of $1.95m and Jerry Jones has a CAP bill of $8m for T.O. It's called the cost of doing business Cousin.

I have listened to the arguments on both sides. Nobody from "practice squad" to "life long veteran" ranked on this site has convinced me the value of keeping Maroney over if you can get something for him now. Someone suggested 15 carries? How many believe that will happen (ambulance trips for the first three RBs non-withstanding), raise your hands? So what I have been convinced of so far is that Maroney is the new Slater? Cousins read your own comments. Someone show me why, with real evidence and not "because I said so" or "I watch all the games.".

Another poster Cousin said third down back. Faulk is great on third down but not just because he can catch the flair or screen, but because he blocks when they need to keep the back in to block. Question two. How many of you have ever seen Maroney throw a single block here? Anybody...Anybody?

I think the kid is a great kid. He stays out of trouble. He does not talk trash. He has skills but he needs a new home like I have said, to reinvent himself. Trade or pick. It should at least be considered. Part of a Peppers trade? I have to agree with that as a non-happening.

DW Toys

I just went through and recorded every carry that Maroney had in the 2007 season, and he lost yardage on 19 of 222 carries: 8.5%. Deciding that I needed a comparable, I randomly decided to use Fred Taylor's (very good) 2007 season: 16 negative carries in 229 attempts: 7.0%.

That's right, guys, for every 200 carries that they have, Maroney will lose yardage on 3 more carries than Taylor does. Therefore, he is a ballerina with no vision who loses yardage on every other play because he sucks. Face it: whatever negative image the Maroney-bashers have of him, the stats just don't back it up.

The reality is simple: when healthy, Maroney is a pretty good RB. He's not as good as you'd like your first round pick to be, but that's in the past. All that matters now is that he's better than anyone that could reasonably replace him at this point, and there is no comparison whatsoever between him and BJGE.

Donald Brown? Moreno?Wells etc? no?

I see Maroney as one of our younger backs with not many miles but knows that he is on a thin string with BB. He is worth the money IMO but that is as of right now but if he does not show anything this season then I think a change in teams is in order.

He has had production and knows the system, maybe not how to run it right yet but again short leash should motivate him. Faulk, Morris and Taylor are all good but only Faulk made it through 2008 healthy. I really think BB will use a combo of the three with Maroney to use all there talents in the right ways.

BB might use the hot hand....or legs approach and I bet we do not even get a 1000 yard rusher next year. That might be also because Brady is going to throw for 5000 yards:D

My final thought is do not draft a RB on day one (even if one slips) Lets give Maroney one more year at a good price and see what get get out of BJGE in his second season. From there we can draft a RB next year and let one of the older guys go at that point.

Last edited:
Donald Brown? Moreno?Wells etc? no?

Sure, the pats *could* spend a first round pick on a RB. I think we can all agree, though, that there are far more pressing needs to be addressed in the first couple of rounds.

I see Maroney as one of our younger backs with not many miles but knows that he is on a thin string with BB. He is worth the money IMO but that is as of right now but if he does not show anything this season then I think a change in teams is in order.

He has had production and knows the system, maybe not how to run it right yet but again short leash should motivate him. Faulk, Morris and Taylor are all good but only Faulk made it through 2008 healthy. I really think BB will use a combo of the three with Maroney to use all there talents in the right ways.

BB might use the hot hand....or legs approach and I bet we do not even get a 1000 yard rusher next year. That might be also because Brady is going to throw for 5000 yards:D

My final thought is do not draft a RB on day one (even if one slips) Lets give Maroney one more year at a good price and see what get get out of BJGE in his second season. From there we can draft a RB next year and let one of the older guys go at that point.

Watch out- with a reasonable opinion like that, you'll get labeled an idiot homer in no time :rolleyes:

$700k? Definitely not a deal breaker. O.K. think this through. They pick up hopefully a third or fourth rounder who makes the squad and is productive....or do we keep him to...return kicks(?) and get zero in 2010 when he is gone? Bowlen just traded Cutler with a bill of $1.95m and Jerry Jones has a CAP bill of $8m for T.O. It's called the cost of doing business Cousin.

Not to be facetious, but $700K when you only have $6M to spend is a bit different than taking a $2M cap hit when you're still below the salary floor.

. Maroneys biggest issue, he has terrible vision for an RB. Nobody on this site can deny that.

I can. Hes got 4.4ypc. Hes had great DVOA. He gains yardage on 90+% of his carries. He had the 2nd highest success rate in the nfl in 2007. THeres absolutely no evidence he has poor vision, and plenty of evidence that hes better than most.

It is obvious the Pats have no faith in Maroney and don't think he is worth the roster spot. It is just the Cap hit that keeps him on the team. Morris has better YPC than Maroney. Morris is more consistent. WHy bring in Taylor if Maroney is the man?
Maroney is done unless the Pats chose to turn him into Faulk. I think he could develop into a better version of Faulk.
I remember when i hated Faulk.

It is obvious the Pats have no faith in Maroney and don't think he is worth the roster spot. It is just the Cap hit that keeps him on the team. Morris has better YPC than Maroney. Morris is more consistent. WHy bring in Taylor if Maroney is the man?
Maroney is done unless the Pats chose to turn him into Faulk. I think he could develop into a better version of Faulk.
I remember when i hated Faulk.

The leaguewide trend is towards there no longer being "the man" at RB. The Pats do RB by committee. and Taylor is essentially replacing Jordan in the rotation (not saying that their skillsets are similar). All that the Taylor move says to me is that Belichick thinks that it's necessary to have 3 backs on your roster who can feature in any game.

I can. Hes got 4.4ypc. Hes had great DVOA. He gains yardage on 90+% of his carries. He had the 2nd highest success rate in the nfl in 2007. THeres absolutely no evidence he has poor vision, and plenty of evidence that hes better than most.

Arguing Maroney's merits kinda reminds me of trying to convince people that players like Kevin Youkilis were good pre-Moneyball. The in-depth stats back the position up, but most people have no idea what they mean, so they stick to baseless, arbitrary opinions no matter how wrong they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft