PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Pats ready to deal Laurence Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Are the New England Patriots Ready To Deal Laurence Maroney?

That was a very small sample sequence. The problem with Maroney is that on any particular set of downs, you don't get a reliable result, if he gets stuffed the first two times and it's 3rd down and long now his ypc doesn't matter a bit. His inconsistency means that Maroney is not the kind of RB you rely on to sustain drives. Morris when healthy is that kind of back. And hopefully Fred Taylor will be that kind of back but better.

Current RB pecking order:
1. Fred Taylor
2. Sammy Morris
3. Kevin Faulk
4. Maroney or BJGE or draftee. Let em fight it out in camp.

If Taylor is the Patriots lead back, the Pats may be in trouble in that area. I think he is nearing the end of the line and will only be effective as a situational/part time back. I think Morris and Maroney will battle it out in camp. BJGE will probably be gone.

That six play sequence that you just outlined is awfully good, actually. Never gets less than 2 yards, gets 5+ 50% of the time, and gets as many as 9? I'll take it. That's the point: no matter how you slice and dice it, 4.5 YPC is a good average. If a guy's getting stopped at the line half the time and running for 9 half the time versus getting 4.5 every carry, it changes the dynamic of when and how you use him, but either way it's a very good average.

I'm not saying that Maroney's an awesome RB or making excuses for him: I'm just saying that where he was drafted is irrelevant. He's the third highest paid RB on the roster, he has some durability issues, and he has the talent to more than justify his paycheck. What you did say in this thread was that BJGE looks better running behind the same line, which is simply not true.

Actually if you look at Barry Sanders' results on a per play basis, there were some horrible losses. Sanders had a few rushes where he had over 10 yards of lost yards. I think quite a few. If you are going to start breaking down how many times a RB was stopped for no gain or a loss, there may be quite a few top backs who will not like the results.

Maroney isn't a top back by any stretch of the imagination, but to think he is the only RB who has his fair share of runs for no gains or losses is not dealing with reality. I think people hate his stutter step before he hits the line and overemphasises his number of runs for no gains or losses.

That was a very small sample sequence. The problem with Maroney is that on any particular set of downs, you don't get a reliable result, if he gets stuffed the first two times and it's 3rd down and long now his ypc doesn't matter a bit. His inconsistency means that Maroney is not the kind of RB you rely on to sustain drives. Morris when healthy is that kind of back. And hopefully Fred Taylor will be that kind of back but better.

Current RB pecking order:
1. Fred Taylor
2. Sammy Morris
3. Kevin Faulk
4. Maroney or BJGE or draftee. Let em fight it out in camp.

He's also the kind of RB who establishes a credible threat to run on second-and-long and even third-and-medium/long, which Morris does not. As I said earlier, they're different types of running backs that are used in different situations. The running back position has become very situational in the last 5+ years, and Maroney, when healthy, plays his role very well. Dunno why that concept continues to completely elude you.

Once again, if you think that BJGE and Maroney are "fighting it out", then you instantly lose all credibility. BJGE was a pleasant surprise last year, but he isn't half the RB that Maroney is and he probably never will be. That's not even to say that Maroney's great, either. BJGE had one 100 yard game (in which he didn't break 4 YPC), and suddenly you guys think that he's on Maroney's level. It's kinda funny, really.

Last edited:
Fred Taylor missed 24 of 64 games his first four seasons. I imagine he was the target of a lot of criticism at that point in his career.

Maroney's numbers (carries, yards per carry, TDs) were remarkably consistent in 2006 and 2007. He was solid during the second half of 2007 and was clearly the lead back in the playoffs

Yeah, he went out of bounds on a play against the 49ers last year when he was trying to play hurt, a play that some people around here regard as a career ender.

Maroney just turned 24. He has undeniable ablility. There's still a lot of room for him to mature physically and mentally. Belichick is known for developing players and it doesn't always happen overnight, even for #1 draft picks. Maybe it won't work out, but it's WAY too early to give up on Laurence Maroney.

Last edited:
They should get anything for him. His cap hit is a sunk cost, no point in looking at that. They pay him his salary this year, get nothing out of him and then he leaves (probably the league) after the year.

Not sure anyone would want him, maybe a 6th or so.

Peppers is different story. REalistically they just can't afford him. Doesn't matter if they don't have to give up any draft picks, he's too expensive.

I'm thinking someone like Shonn Greene would be good. Runs downhill, hard, and doesn't dance. Maroney runs upright, that's half his problem.

Also, I don't think Maroney is well liked or respected, just my opinion,

Patriots.com News Blitz - 4/8/2009

Click on the last link that says As for the Julius Peppers saga, there's another opinion piece on the subject in The Bleacher Report.

So your saying the Patriots official website isn't credible?

Well, Patriots.com employed Tom Casale aka Tommy Rider. So I might think that they may not have as much credibility in their editorial department as you think.

They should get anything for him. His cap hit is a sunk cost, no point in looking at that. They pay him his salary this year, get nothing out of him and then he leaves (probably the league) after the year.

hahaha, that's a new extreme. You honestly think that Maroney will be out of the league after this year? Congrats, it only took you 7 posts to get on my ignore list. I think that might be a record.

hahaha, that's a new extreme. You honestly think that Maroney will be out of the league after this year? Congrats, it only took you 7 posts to get on my ignore list. I think that might be a record.

We'll see I guess. But yeah, I think he's gone. He'll undoubtedly be injured again and then done.

Sorry if I offended your delicate homer sensibilities.

And I thought I was a homer, you take the cake.

"When a guy like Gholston does not do anything on his first season as a pro he is an automatic bust just because he is on the Jets but proven losers like Chad Jackson were given 3 years to 'develop' because he was a Patriot .... Thats pure stupidity guys

Maroney has had ample opportunities to show that he was a good pick in 2006 but so far he has shown little flashes sporadically at best.

Our 2006 draft will go down as an overall very poor draft year and one of Pioli and Belichicks worst this decade,Thankfully most of the other drafts since 2000 were very good or we would not even have 1 title this decade if all were like 06

This years draft has to include a replacement for LoMo who will be saying goodbye next year IMO"

I agree with you. When we drafted him I was excited but he has been a bust. Lets be honest.

Also, I don't think Maroney is well liked or respected, just my opinion,

My personal position is that he's talented, young, possibly immature and this season will be make or break for his Pats career. I would NOT trade him NOW unless a totally unrealistic opportunity presented itself, e.g. a #1 or 2 pick or a vet starter in a position of need.

That said, I do know someone quite well who has strong personal connections with Patriots players and there are some Patriots players who have little use for the guy. Hopefully they're over reacting.

I hope so...I sure am....

Talk about reaching for a story. Maybe the Pats will trade Tom Brady to the Colts for Freeney so the Colts will have Brady for insurance if Manning goes down.

I think that Giselle would fit the Colts scheme better than Tom. :D

Well, that makes sense. The Panthers don't need a RB. The Pats would need to free up cap room to get Peppers and trading away Maroney would INCREASE the Pats' cap by about $900k by trading him. Maroney's trade value is at a low point and the Pats would get minimum value for Maroney. Maroney is the only RB on the Pats' roster capable of carrying the load who is under 32 years of age.
Maybe we can trade him and a fifth round pick to the Raiders for Doug Gabriel and the rights to Jeff Garcia.

I'm all over your opinion of Maroney,believe me. It's this yr or bust for him, no doubt. But the 07 draft wasn't too good either, I think the only guy we even kept was Merriweather. I think 07 was worse than 06, but both sucked.

But why wait for his trade value to drop any further?? If you can get ANYTHING for him at this point....take it......After this year, he will be CUT if he doesn't make it through the year injury wise, or just plain sucks..........This is a guy that had HUGE upsides........but he has been extremely FRAGILE.........and can not hit the hole quickly.......maybe under a different offensive scheme he could flourish........but here, I would say that he has had his chance to excel and thus far has failed miserably.............

Gholston compared to Maroney? Really?!? Maroney has had injuries which may or may not have affected his performance, but Gholston was healthy all year. Maroney accomplished more in his first game of his rookie season than Gholston accomplished all year.

The guy has shown he has a lot of potential. Whether he ever puts it together on the field is still a question mark. He has the capability to be a top back if he can stay healthy and works on hitting the hole harder. He may never do that though. The Patriots, not even Maroney, deserve to allow him a shot to prove he can turn around his career.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.......really.......two entirely different positions........

We'll see I guess. But yeah, I think he's gone. He'll undoubtedly be injured again and then done.

Sorry if I offended your delicate homer sensibilities.

And I thought I was a homer, you take the cake.

He will be in the NFL next year. Even if he gets IRed without playing a down this season, he will be on someone's roster in 2010. That's not a homer speaking: that's just acknowledging that, regardless of how little you think he's done with it, Maroney does have talent, and some coach will think that he can get something out of him. Is Heath Evans can play in this league, so can Maroney. If understanding that makes me a homer, then every sane, rational person on this board must be one.

Last edited:
My personal position is that he's talented, young, possibly immature and this season will be make or break for his Pats career. I would NOT trade him NOW unless a totally unrealistic opportunity presented itself, e.g. a #1 or 2 pick or a vet starter in a position of need.

That said, I do know someone quite well who has strong personal connections with Patriots players and there are some Patriots players who have little use for the guy. Hopefully they're over reacting.

I'll agree with you on that one. If someone was stupid enough to offer a starter-caliber vet or a #1-2 pick for Maroney, I think the Pats would have to take it. In fact, I doubt there's anyone who wouldn't be in favor of that. That's a far cry from what's being thrown around here, though.

It's a pretty weak argument to hang your hat solely on the 4.4 ypc stat.
Not a stat guy myself, and stats can be misleading (Faulk's is high because he only runs in passing situations when the MLBs are out of position to defend the run, and Evans was low because he usually only carried the ball in short yardage situations were a one-yard gain was a successful run.

But Maroney did most of his runs out of the single I formation, and 4.5 yards is an excellent average.

And to say that production is a poor way to measure the value of a RB is ludicrous. It doesn't matter that some RBs got better after three years and others did not. You cannot judge Maroney's production based on another RBs yardage.

Fact is, if Maroney had been undrafted, you would all be creaming your jeans over him. You all need to forget where a player is drafted. It only matters for his first contract. After one year, what matters is how he plays not where he was drafted.

Maroney is a better all around runner than BJGE. BJGE is better than your usual UDFA, and Maroney isn't as good as your average first round pick RB, but head-to-head, the Pats are better off with Maroney than BJGE.

Not only that, in 2009 the cost of keeping BJGE and cutting Maroney is higher than cutting keeping Maroney and cutting BJGE.

Can we please get some objectivity and look at production rather than draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back