PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After today... This looks like a 9-7 team as of today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just like to add that while that one guy I called ******ed isn't completely off the mark, belichick got 2 extra players from our first rounder on top of mccourty.
the trades enabled him to draft price (or the carolina second, however you look at it), and hernandez.

now maybe all these guys will bust, and the summer feel good move would've been to take gholston in the first, but maybe next year this same time we wouldn't feel quite as good.

If and when I make it to the States buying you and a few other posters will be on the to-do list!

yeah...well ..I DON'T drink Foster's...krikey...what do you think I am...a bloody roo???

you can pour me a few of these though...

headerbanner.jpg

Last edited:
If and when I make it to the States buying you and a few other posters will be on the to-do list!

yeah...well ..I DON'T drink Foster's...krikey...what do you think I am...a bloody roo???

you can pour me a few of these though...

headerbanner.jpg
Oh no Joker.. not 4X ;).

either that...or a few pints fresh brewed from any of the pubs in Adelaide will do..

either that...or a few pints fresh brewed from any of the pubs in Adelaide will do..
Coopers Pale Ale would be the best from Adelaide. Out of Western Australia, anything from the Little Creatures brewery in Fremantle would be the best bet. LC Pale Ale is my personal favorite.

Re: After today... Still a 9-7 team...

I figured the relative quiet here this afternoon was like the lull before the storm of whiners got their second wind. No surprise who is leading the charge. The executive VP of the sky is falling contingent...Sean is off his anxiety meds again. And as is always the case, misery loves company...

LOL. Well somebody has to worry for us. I think we don't know what we have for sure until training camp. But right now, on paper, the Pats offense is much approved. They have new, better weapons at TE, and haved added some veteran receivers at wideout, as well as adding a couple of rookies and we'll be getting Tate back, fully healthy this year. Let the competition begin!

Re: After today... Still a 9-7 team..

Yeah, and British people had better teeth they'd be more attractive, but they don't, what's your point?
Pats being the most popular team in the UK, many of whom getting a lot of their info from here and a few good site contributors, deserve a bit more respect than that. I'd suggest you chose your metaphor a little more carefully next time, but I'm sure the effort would be wasted.

The future looks bright, but the team is still lacking some weapons to be a threat in the AFC in 2010...

Right now we might be the 5th or 6th best team..

Baltimore, NYJ, Miami, SD and Indy, are light years better than the us, wheather you like to admit or not...

Yes we have Brady, and Belichick but there are still some questions...

OLB- is a huge question mark... , RB who is the back??? and yes WR is a issue..

Why is WR a issue - what will Randy Moss be??? how long is Welker out?? is Holt the next Gaffney or Galloway???, Edleman and Tate ,espically Tate is a huge question mark at best... Cant expect Pryce or Patten to be the awnser...

OLB starters right now are TBC, Nikovitch and Woods... Dont tell me Cunningham will be the starting OLB week 1... He is a year away yet...

As a AFC fav, its the ravens, and we have a chance in the divison, but there are too many questions and key spots to say we are a super bowl or even a playoff team right now...

We went in to this offseason with 4 needs in my mind: OLB, DE, WR, TE. In my opinion they have signficantly addressed the TE position and possibly (stress possibly) addressed the DE position. I think it's very likely that Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez will be a significant upgrade from Watson/Baker. At DE, we added Damione Lewis and Gerard Warren and Deadrick in the 7th round.

I think the need for another playmaker at WR is enormous, Torry Holt did not look like a starting WR to me last year. I think the need at OLB is also enormous.

That said, the only teams I see as for sure superior to the Patriots right now in the AFC are the Colts and Chargers. Until the Patriots prove they can rush the passer, Manning and Rivers are going to carve them up.

The Ravens, Dolphins, and Jets all have young QB's who may or may not improve in 2010. They all have new weapons at WR, but that doesn't mean that their decision making will be better or that they will be able to handle the pressure of increased expectations. Calling any of these teams light years better than the Patriots right now seems a little bit over the top.

And if you weren't a 6 toed hillbilly who'd f*cked his sister, you'd be intelligent, but you're not, so what's your point?

This.......

As for the 9-7 thing, well, as someone else pointed out (apologies- I can't remember who it was), we could have been 12-4 or 13-3 last year. We were heavily beaten in just two games: New Orleans and Baltimore in the playoffs. However, we were 10-6.

I think this is a 12-4 or 11-5 team next year. The pass rush can only improve, especially as BB has brought in more players with speed off the edge and has improved the secondary to take advantage of (hopefuly) increased pressure. There were signs that Burgess was improving last year towards the end as well (have a look at his end of season stats).

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating that we spent more time in 4-0 packages than 3-4 and that trend will only continue.

On that basis, we could see the following on most downs :
Ends: Burgess/TBC/Cunningham/Crable
DTs: Warren/Wilfork/Pryor/Wright
LB Mayo/Woods
LB Spikes/Guyton/TBC/Cunningham/Crable
CBs Bodden, Butler, McCourty
Ss Sanders/Chung/Meriweather.

That looks more dynamic, enthusiastic, more used to the system and more able to counter the passing game to me.

The offence can only get better with TEs who can catch and run proper routes.

Threads like this remind me why I don't even bother to show up daily during the offseason. This is just dumb. The Pats had one of the best drafts of any team in the NFL, and you expect them to lose ground?

.... right on, champ. IMO, this could be a 12 win team, better with some good breaks. The offseason isn't over yet, but we've improved in every area where we had holes except DE.

Last edited:

We were a fumble or a great comback by Brady in week 1 from being a 9-7 team this past year...

we were a 50/50 call away from beating the colts... you win some you loose some doesn't mean you take the win away. Pretty ridiculous thread to say we are still a 9-7 team

Last edited:

Threads like this remind me why I don't even bother to show up daily during the offseason. This is just dumb. The Pats had one of the best drafts of any team in the NFL, and you expect them to lose ground?

.... right on, champ. IMO, this could be a 12 win team, better with some good breaks. The offseason isn't over yet, but we've improved in every area where we had holes except DE.

I hope 12 wins but i don't know. we have a pretty tough schedule this year especially with the perceived betterment of miami and the jets. I think we got better definately with this draft but i still see us in that 10-12 win range. but here's hoping

I hope 12 wins but i don't know. we have a pretty tough schedule this year especially with the perceived betterment of miami and the jets. I think we got better definately with this draft but i still see us in that 10-12 win range. but here's hoping

The schedule is tough. But, you'll have some teams that go in the tank and some teams that will surprise.

I am going to have to disagree with you here. While the Jets, Ravens and Dolphins improved a lot, I believe we did as well.

The OLB spot will either be Damione Lewis, who is decent, and/or Jermaine Cunningham. Spikes will take over at ILB. At LB, we will have
Lewis/CUnningham -Spikes-Mayo-Thomas/Crable.

Brady has a couple of new weapons. Rob Gronkowski is the most complete TE in the draft. Think Jason Witten. Do you realize how good the pats passing attack will be if we add a Jason Witten type to the team? Him along with Torry Holt and the return of wes welker will make our passing game difficult to stop. Plus Aaron hernandez was the 3rd best TE in the draft - not quite as good as Gronk but still darn good.

Devin McCourty could be the next Ronde Barber. He can play all 4 downs and is physical and a great tackler.

While I agree we did not get better at RB, we still rushed for close to 2000 yards last year. And do you remember what happened in 2002 after we went 9-7, we had a spectacular draft and ended up going 13-3 and winning the super bowl the following year.

I don't have alot of faith in somebody's team assessment when that person thinks 6'2" 302 LB Defensive Tackle Damione Lewis is going to be our OLB.

The future looks bright, but the team is still lacking some weapons to be a threat in the AFC in 2010...

Baltimore, NYJ, Miami, SD and Indy, are light years better than the us, wheather you like to admit or not...

Why is WR a issue - what will Randy Moss be??? how long is Welker out?? is Holt the next Gaffney or Galloway???, Edleman and Tate ,espically Tate is a huge question mark at best... Cant expect Pryce or Patten to be the awnser...

OLB starters right now are TBC, Nikovitch and Woods... Dont tell me Cunningham will be the starting OLB week 1... He is a year away yet...

As a AFC fav, its the ravens, and we have a chance in the divison, but there are too many questions and key spots to say we are a super bowl or even a playoff team right now...

Good post, and I'm not going to slam you like so many automatically do around here, if you aren't 100 percent positive.

But let me give you some hope.

First, this team isn't final, and since teams can set free some high priced talent in an uncapped year without taking a hit, we may be pumped at who we can add this summer.

I'm not sure we've helped our pass rush yet, and that is a bummer, however:

1. We had no WRs after Moss and Welker last year. This year I expect some young talent to really help things. I'm talking about Taylor Price and Tate. Bonus will be if Holt and/or Patton surprise us. Welker will be back in time for our SB run. :)

2. Our TE play was horrendous last year. Adding two of the top three young TE talents via the draft has got to have Mr. Brady smiling. Oh, and Crumpler should block better than any TE did last year for us.

3. Guyton played his heart out last year, but he was horrible in the middle for the Pats. He really was. The odds that McKenzie or Spikes improve us greatly up the middle are very good.

4. I was a McCourty fan long before we drafted him. He will improve our CB corp. He will GREATLY improve our special teams. If Butler and Chung make a good sophomore year jump, then our defensive backfield should be improved too.

5. I don't know that Cunningham will start this year, but because Thomas was sooooo ineffective last year, we will improve in that spot. Can't get any worse.

There are many questions, and much that has to go right. You may end up being right, but I have a sneaky feeling that some summer improvments will have us all pumped about going into the season. The glass is half full my friend.

Having said all that, it sure sucked that Miami, NYJ, Indy, SD, Pitt, the Ravens and Indy all seemed to have strong drafts.:)

I'm ready to announce the award for the dumbest post-draft thread. Congratulations Sean.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

What banner is being contended for in April, Sean... You're spoiled and scared because you don't sense for sure that we're favored to win it all. Guess what, we never are in April...not that it matters. April is the month when all the hype driven frauds are favored to win it all, while aside from the Colts and the Steelers, none of them has has won a damn thing in a decade...

This isn't about being a homer or critic. You're neither. You're a kneejerk who is easily rattled and needs to be reassured. You really post this nonsense so people will talk you through your anxiety and reassure you everything is ok...

No I dont need that, any thing could happen, I just dont see the moves we made and the moves other teams make that we are considered elite.. The future of this team looks bright, and I just want to see Brady have success while he is in his prime , is that too much to ask..?? The draft is a crap shoot, some people here think Shaun Crable will be the awnser at olb.. Really??? We will be competive in the division,and Belichick will coach the rookies up, but if you ask me right now.. The Ravens are still a better team than us.. and are the favorites in the afc....

why are you so pessimistic my friend ? i am very satisfied with this year draft and i think we will have a good team ready in september

again...i really believe we had an excellent draft and i'm allready so pumped and excited
NOW

Go Pats !!!!!

why are you so pessimistic my friend ? i am very satisfied with this year draft and i think we will have a good team ready in september

again...i really believe we had an excellent draft and i'm allready so pumped and excited
NOW

Go Pats !!!!!

Not pessimistic , I just thought the biggest question on the team was the lack of pass rush, and I dont think we upgraded that position... Tight End is great, love the inside lb Spikes... And Mccorty not in love with the pick, Ive come around listening to him because we are going back to high charcter guys, seems like a solid pick...

Cunningham will be a project, and is questionable right now and hope he can generate a pass rush... We can have all the guys we want in the secondary, but no pass rush we will still see alot of frustration on third downs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results