PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson - underestimated even as a rookie?

Yes, it is, and watching the homers scramble to defend what happened is painful, because the excuses are truly pathetic.

your opinion is objective and everyone else should agree with you more

The arrow was also pointing up for Chad Johnson and Brandon Lloyd

The arrow was never pointing up for Ocho who was lost from day 1. Lloyd looked decent in camp and decent on the field.

WRs get it or don't fairly quickly in NE.

Perhaps we might examine the production of those non-top 10 receivers picked in the 1st-3rd round and look at their rookie production.

Even Calvin Johnson has fewr than 50 catches and less than 800 yards.

While I like Ridley and our ability to rush, those numbers are skewed due to how prolific our offense was. We ran the most snaps in the NFL (by a lot). On top of that, our team was rushing against nickel packages. If our WRs don't prove they can win downfield, teams are going to be playing base packages against us for the first time in 6 years. It's a heck of a lot harder to win against those than nickel packages.

You have a valid observation. But...

The Pats were and still are a passing team first, with a GOAT QB. Breaking in three new talented offensive linemen while being top 7 in rushing yards and second in rushing carries, in the entire League, is only a foretaste of what to expect this season.

Any receiving battery, (that include WRs, TEs, receiving RBs), that has at least one superstar in it, and proven ex NFL starters at all positions, is NEVER the "worst in the league". I can be as anxious an any critic, but reality is reality; and as someone would say "...it is what it is".

You have a valid observation. But...

Breaking in three new talented offensive linemen while being top 7 in rushing yards and second in rushing carries, in the entire League, is only a foretaste of what to expect this season.
Three new offensive linemen?

Tell that to David Givens.

The fact that to find a counter example you have to go back more than 10 years to when the team was running a totally different offense pretty much proves my point.

Three new offensive linemen?

It was Solder's and Wendell's first year starting at LOT and C. it was Connoly's first year at RG and starting there.
Yes they had been groomed for a season or three but the fact remains that this was the first starting year at the position they played.

It is not difficult to predict they will do even better in their second seasons as starters.

Provided of course that Marcus Ccannon doesn't take Connoly's job. Plus now there are three existing NFL ex-strting players at the reserve positions in Svitek, Green and Haslam and a good rookie red shirt in Zuscevics.

It was Solder's and Wendell's first year starting at LOT and C. it was Connoly's first year at RG and starting there.
Yes they had been groomed for a season or three but the fact remains that this was the first starting year at the position they played.
Ryan Wendell has been on the active roster for the New England Patriots since 2010 (practice squad since 2008) and started 5 games between 2010-11.

Ryan Wendell NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Dan Connolly has been on the active roster for the New England Patriots since 2009 (practice squad since 2007) and was the starting right guard in 2010.

Daniel Connolly NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Nate Solder started more games (13) as a rookie than Sebastian Vollmer (5) during the 2011 NFL Season.

Has anyone noticed that we don't need Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, or Josh Boyce to be elite their rookie year? Although that would be a bonus. But instead, just enough production and impact to take some pressure and attention away from Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman and Jake Ballard. Whoever they are, they will have some help from Shane Vereen no doubt. Should his presence in the passing game should make things a little bit easier for the rookie Receivers. But like I said, I like our chances of that production and impact possibly exceeding expectations because of their mental game in addition to rare combination of physical gifts.

Has anyone noticed that we don't need Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, or Josh Boyce to be elite their rookie year? Although that would be a bonus. But instead, just enough production and impact to take some pressure and attention away from Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman and Jake Ballard.
Julian Edelman is not even practicing and is currently on the PUP list.

Has anyone noticed that we don't need Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, or Josh Boyce to be elite their rookie year? Although that would be a bonus. But instead, just enough production and impact to take some pressure and attention away from Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman and Jake Ballard. Whoever they are, they will have some help from Shane Vereen no doubt. Should his presence in the passing game should make things a little bit easier for the rookie Receivers. But like I said, I like our chances of that production and impact possibly exceeding expectations because of their mental game in addition to rare combination of physical gifts.

or Rob Gronkowski...

The three guys you mentioned all have serious injury issues and may or may not be even active to play by mid season. And even in a best case scenario, those three don't even come close to the trio of Gronk Hern and Welker.

If we want to be a SB contender, either our defense needs to make a miraculous leap or one of those three need to become elite players.

If we want to be a SB contender, either our defense needs to make a miraculous leap or one of those three need to become elite players.
Julian Edelman and the phrase "elite wide receiver" does not correspond.

Julian Edelman and the phrase "elite wide receiver" does not correspond.

Nobody said he was, but I'm sure Edelman wishes you had more confidence in him.

Re: Re: Aaron Dobson - underestimated even as a rookie?

The three guys you mentioned all have serious injury issues and may or may not be even active to play by mid season. And even in a best case scenario, those three don't even come close to the trio of Gronk Hern and Welker.

I think we will all be very surprised with the defense this year. Jones and Hightower entering year two. Spikes mayo. Fletcher and the rook. Lb b+ minimum. Dline... Jones wilfork kelly armstead...I like the potential. Solid b with a potential. Assuming dennard stays out of the pen, with Talib across abs the closest thing to actual safeties we have seen in ages...I can't wait.

We have the same confidence in Edelman that Belichick has. Hopefully, Edelman will be healthy enough to be active for half the season as our top punt returner and #4 receiver on Game Day.

We have more confidence in Edelman that the other 31 GM's did.

Nobody said he was, but I'm sure Edelman wishes you had more confidence in him.

That in essence is what I have been saying all along.

Meanwhile guys like DI can only see gloom and doom if we don't have immediate Superstars at WR.

WR is only a single leg of a receiving battery. Even with out Aperp, it may well include the best and deepest TE crew in the League, featuring the league's best TE, and three other ex-starter NFL veterans too.

I will never understand some fans. They criticize Amendola and Ras_I as injury prone, and then gaga over Zack Sudfield, an undrafted TE who was healthy only one year, out of six that he spent in college. He was granted eligibility waivers by the NCAA not once, but twice.

Two days into TC and I am already satisfied that BB will find some, at least adequate WRs, to add to the receiving battery, and improving it over 2012.

Until the pads come on, we still don't know how the interior DL retooling is doing.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back