PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A lot of stupid money being thrown out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
a lot of big money for players not worth it..And when will these teams challenge?? When that day comes one may say different, but until then it looks pretty dumb...If one noticed who is NOT throwing the money around...the teams on top..

you never heard of wes welker??

and when was he a ufa??

It's pretty easy to find if you bother to look.

College career

Welker's last minute signing proved to be a bonanza for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Based on a highlight reel from high school, Welker earned the nickname "The Natural" before his freshman year for his versatility and big-game performances.[5][6] Over his four-year career, he had 259 receptions for 3019 yards and 21 touchdowns, and 79 rushes for 456 yards and two touchdowns. He also scored eight touchdowns returning punts in his career, still tied for the NCAA record.[2]

After his senior season at Texas Tech, Welker went undrafted in the 2004 NFL Draft but ended up signing as a free agent with the San Diego Chargers.[7]

Professional career

EDIT: Look up your numbers. Stallworth signed a 7 year contract for 35 million. And according to pft:

"So despite the appearance of a $5 million annual average, it's less than $4.5 million."

Keep trying.

2nd grade math was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure 35/7=5 not less than 4.5.

Last edited:
2nd grade math was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure 35/7=5 not less than 4.5.

It would be except they didn't cover NFL capology in second grade because algebra pales in comparison. He gets $17M over the first 4 years and $22M if he makes it to 5 are two of the details that have emerged in the last 24 hours. His deal is salary backloaded and he will never see the 6th and 7th seasons.

Why don't you try looking at the source I quoted first. I've taken more math classes than I wish to recount, but nice try. I didn't want to have to quote the whole article, but since people can't seem to look it up themselves:

"EVEN MORE ON THE STALLWORTH DEAL

Though it's being reported as a seven-year, $35 million contract, a league source has provided us with some additional details regarding the contract inked on Saturday between the Browns and receiver Donte' Stallworth.

Per the source, it's a deal with a maximum practical value and length of $22 million over five years. The deal also pays out $17.1 million over the first four years.

So despite the appearance of a $5 million annual average, it's less than $4.5 million.

Still, it's not bad for a guy who languished on the market after a breakout season in 2006 and who didn't get many opportunities to turn heads (or catch passes) in 2007."

It would be except they didn't cover NFL capology in second grade because algebra pales in comparison. He gets $17M over the first 4 years and $22M if he makes it to 5 are two of the details that have emerged in the last 24 hours. His deal is salary backloaded and he will never see the 6th and 7th seasons.

Exactly. It's not always as simple as "Oh, well let's divide the 35 by 7." I believe I heard the same thing with Faneca's deal - it's for 5 years, but they said he'd be lucky to see the fourth yr, much less the fifth.

Last edited:
Faneca could not have gotten $23mil solid from the Jets, that's got to be a mistake. He's 31!!!! Is this desperate move proof that D'Brickashaw is d'bust?

The Jets had to pay up because they suck basically so they have to overcompensate for that as do most of the teams that have given players *crazy* contracts. Why else would they go there? The expectation that Faneca will make Ferguson a better player is a reasonable one so that eases their pain somewhat.

Moss, can be frustrated here because he didn't get all the money he wanted, or frustrated somewhere else when he never makes the Pro Bowl again. Another Bentley in the garage: $300K; Your bust in the HOF: priceless. Listen up Randy, this is your last chance.

There are several teams that Moss could sign with that would make him a good bet to go back to The Dance. Think about Jville with Moss. Moss can either make a bad team pay him insane money or make a good team pay him just crazy money. That's why the pats position vis a vis Moss is so tenuous. Why would he accept "reasonable" money from the Pats? Well he does like the situation here but he still has the Pats basically over a barrel.

I'm glad the Pat's have stayed out of the madness so far, but if Pace is willing to come for under $8mil/yr then sign him up now.

You know, you make this whole argument how you don't want to pay crazy money for average players, you don't want to pay crazy money for good players, and they you want to give crazy money to Pace? Sheesh!

Last edited:
I have to say i agree with nittanylions about Cleveland and Stallworth, $4.5 m a year for a big play WR is not a bad piece of business. He fits in well with Braylon Edwards and gives DA another option. I expect them to top the Steelers next year.

FA this year is overpriced, but using Stallwort to back up this point is not the best choice.

I'm glad the Pat's have stayed out of the madness so far, but if Pace is willing to come for under $8mil/yr then sign him up now.
You just contradicted yourself. Pace is nothing more than a one year wonder and there is no way this guy is worth $20 million guaranteed. Besides, the New England Patriots need inside linebackers not outside linebackers.

It's pretty easy to find if you bother to look.

College career

Welker's last minute signing proved to be a bonanza for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Based on a highlight reel from high school, Welker earned the nickname "The Natural" before his freshman year for his versatility and big-game performances.[5][6] Over his four-year career, he had 259 receptions for 3019 yards and 21 touchdowns, and 79 rushes for 456 yards and two touchdowns. He also scored eight touchdowns returning punts in his career, still tied for the NCAA record.[2]

After his senior season at Texas Tech, Welker went undrafted in the 2004 NFL Draft but ended up signing as a free agent with the San Diego Chargers.[7]

Professional career

I read that as unrestricted free agent, not undrafted free agent.

they consider cleo lemon insurance? you must be kidding with me....

if youre gonna spend good money on a backup, at least get a good back up...

list, plz.

Is it coincidence that these are the four best teams at managing the cap, the four best drafters and the four best teams in football over the past ten years?

Funny how a number of AFC playoff teams have abstained from the insanity:

New England Patriots
Indianapolis Colts
San Diego Chargers
Pittsburgh Steelers

Is it coincidence that these are the four best teams at managing the cap, the four best drafters and the four best teams in football over the past ten years?

No, but expecting most people to use logic and reason in their thought processes in this day and age is asking far too much.

Which is why I don't understand this stupid obsession on the PatsFans message board over the one year wonder named Calvin Pace. No way is the former Arizona Cardinal worth $20 million plus guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes