PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 weeks into FA season, Pats' approach still makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 5 weeks into FA season, PATS approach still makes no sense

well, i would agree....but then i think....what offseason did the other best teams have?

the colts have made huge moves....the saints have too....the vikings definetely had...

theres only one team that i can think of that was in the playoffs last year that has made big moves, and its the ravens....

well be just fine: would i have liked a vet WR? sure, but then again how do i know it would not end up like galloway/lewis of this past year?

I think the problem lies directly in that area,When our core of championship defensive players left there was no real talent to replace them,.

It is interesting to realize that this core was built by Bill Parcells. The last of the Parcells guys retired last year and it shows.

It has been a disappointing offseason. Football is not the same as baseball; you cannot bring the same old guys in the next season and expect the same record; not at all. You have to continually upgrade just to keep the same record (because of the short shelf life of players). If the Patriots do not have an outstanding draft it will be a long season.

And contrary to what some some say; rookies can have a huge impact. Seymour for instance had a monster rookie against both the run and pass.

It is interesting to realize that this core was built by Bill Parcells. The last of the Parcells guys retired last year and it shows.

It has been a disappointing offseason. Football is not the same as baseball; you cannot bring the same old guys in the next season and expect the same record; not at all. You have to continually upgrade just to keep the same record (because of the short shelf life of players). If the Patriots do not have an outstanding draft it will be a long season.

And contrary to what some some say; rookies can have a huge impact. Seymour for instance had a monster rookie against both the run and pass.

Not Harrison,Vrabel or Seymour they were all BBs and Piolis pickups....only Bruschi and the one player we have had the HARDEST time to replace and that is McGinest were from the Parcells era

Last edited:

What?!?!?! What Parcells guys?

Ramon is a troll, but what he trolls for is a *********** of like minded, front runner malcontents to blow smoke up his skirt so he feels important... His limited number of threads here (Ian should up the posting requirement to 1000...) include such classic rants as Emperor Bill, A great OL (like the Colts) wins championships, Pats should keep AD, Pats could learn a lot from the JETS FO, Pats ranked 14th in TSN poll...

Respect is earned, on message boards as well as in life. You basically reap what you sow buddy.

:trolls:

What?!?!?! What Parcells guys?

Troy Brown,McGinest and Bruschi were the biggest hits of Parcells time here,not including Martin who was a Jet early on.

Ramon is a troll, but what he trolls for is a *********** of like minded, front runner malcontents to blow smoke up his skirt so he feels important... His limited number of threads here (Ian should up the posting requirement to 1000...) include such classic rants as Emperor Bill, A great OL (like the Colts) wins championships, Pats should keep AD, Pats could learn a lot from the JETS FO, Pats ranked 14th in TSN poll...

Respect is earned, on message boards as well as in life. You basically reap what you sow buddy.

:trolls:

He's already been outed as a Jet troll...his AD rant here had entire sentences verbatim posted under his Jet nick at J.I.

ignore is probably the best option

Troy Brown,McGinest and Bruschi were the biggest hits of Parcells time here,not including Martin who was a Jet early on.

Right but what the hell is he talking about our core was of Parcell guys?

Right but what the hell is he talking about our core was of Parcell guys?

10PM is the perfect time for a couple of beers I guess...:confused2:

Is it just me, or didnt I just watch the Colts play in the Superbowl? And didnt that Colts team just make a run with 2 brand new receivers playing key roles, though technically only one of them was a rookie, after drafting a RB in the first round, while also missing their best defensive player yet pretty much the entire season? Didnt that just happen?

Why cant we add Brandon Tate to this offense, expect further improvement from Julian Edelman, draft a rookie at receiver who'll be ready to contribute, expect legitimate improvement from the many players on D who were new to our system whether by age or experience last year, and think that Tom Brady will simply be a better QB in year 2 following his ACL tear? Is it me, or does that not seem entirely out of the question? Dont teams improve from year to year without squaring up on the panic button?

The lack of excitement on this board is palpable. The wind has been taken out of most fans' sails by this passive offseason approach.

Still makes No sense whatsoever.
Brady in his prime with a few more years left. Why not go all out now...like the JETS and try to win it while you still can.

dear bill,

plz do not emulate the jets.

sincerely,
a concerned fan

The lack of excitement on this board is palpable. The wind has been taken out of most fans' sails by this passive offseason approach.

Still makes No sense whatsoever.
Brady in his prime with a few more years left. Why not go all out now...like the JETS and try to win it while you still can.

Rely on ROOKIES to get you over the hump, including three second round drat picks...how does that make sense.

OK so they didn't want to pay big bucks to Peppers or Boldin...there still were many VETERANS who could have helped this team. Damion Lewis and Alge Crumpler thats how they make this team better

One thing is certain...if the PATS don't pick up some veteran playmakers they will not compete with the Jets or Dolphins this year.

This offseason sucks...and if you think the draft will make it all better...give it up

By the way one more thing... this board used to have a lot more interesting threads on a daily basis...but the homers out here have managed to try to scare away anyone with an independent opinion...and they have done a great job...look at this board it is DEAD

and I will say it in advance to those of you who will try to rip me a new one...(Please be quiet - edited)

Please do list those fa's you think we should have gone for, other than peppers & boldin - both of whom made no sense for a team getting younger and faster that knew enough to lock up their own as their own happened to be the best moves they could make. Now, they sit pretty in a very deep draft with 4 of the top 52, but you think we should sign retread free agents in a year when there aren;t any good ones.

Ramon - you really do not know what is going on in the nfl now do you?

Please tell me about those great jet moves - they weakened themselves greatly at rb, what a dumb move, pay a has been what you should have paid your heart and soul running back?? Pick up a DB that had a great 1/2 season in his entire career?? this was a 7-7 team that got lucky to get in playoffs, played weak teams to make the afccg and then - lost, as all jets teams have for 42 years now. J-E-T-S joke/joke/joke.

Oh and by the way....I wont "(Please be quiet - edited)[/quote]"

That Belichick's approach is making no sense means he's doing a great job.

He doesn't want any of it to make sense going into the draft. It's like this almost every year except when he targets a top player.

I like the intrigue myself ... we kind of know what we have and we kind of don't. Or as Bill says ... some who are here now won't be later and some not here now will be here later ... I like it.

Is it just me, or didnt I just watch the Colts play in the Superbowl? And didnt that Colts team just make a run with 2 brand new receivers playing key roles, though technically only one of them was a rookie, after drafting a RB in the first round, while also missing their best defensive player yet pretty much the entire season? Didnt that just happen?

Why cant we add Brandon Tate to this offense, expect further improvement from Julian Edelman, draft a rookie at receiver who'll be ready to contribute, expect legitimate improvement from the many players on D who were new to our system whether by age or experience last year, and think that Tom Brady will simply be a better QB in year 2 following his ACL tear? Is it me, or does that not seem entirely out of the question? Dont teams improve from year to year without squaring up on the panic button?

I think some are concerned with our 2nd round picks which have been mediocre for awhile and have little faith it can all gel together so fast....and in reality they have a right to feel that way.

Picking draft picks and FAs to come in a make a sudden impact is a crap shoot and having players develop in year two is expected but not always works out (see Adalius Thomas),the Colts connected very well last season plus had some strong locker room support,thats why they got as far as they did.

This team as of right now has no true leader on defense in the locker room and that worries me.

This team as of right now has no true leader on defense in the locker room and that worries me.

What about Wilfork, Mayo? Mayo's still new but he seems like a leader.

Gotta love April meltdowns.

The poster makes a point, but all that should be noted is that going into a possible lockout season we are not doing any big contracts. The types of FAs we usually get are 2nd cut down drop offs(Team A picks up RB A drops RB B, team B picks up RB B, drops RB C and so forth). I know somewhere we will pick up another jag WR, I will bet on it. For impact players, wait til draft day. With so many picks we are in prime position to use them for trade bait as well. Now I'm not saying we come away with a Moss/Welker duo but something better than the Corey Dillon pick up would be nice wouldnt it??

What about Wilfork, Mayo? Mayo's still new but he seems like a leader.

Mayo COULD be a leader but we shall see.

Wilfork of course says leadership stuff right now,but I have yet to see it,will this big contract he got change it?,who knows?
Talk is cheap,let see some spark and desire in the middle of that D when its
3rd and long for the opposing team who trails by 2 with a minute to go and needs to connect to drive down for a winning FG

The one leader I have full faith in is on offense Kevin Faulk,we all saw that in the playoffs of who wants it more,Kevin seemed to be one of only few that day.

"80s 49ers - Not very good much of the 90s"

The 90's 49ers fielded some great teams. They were pretty much a superbowl threat every year.

1990: 14-2 lost in NFC championship
1991: 10-6 missed playoffs
1992: 14-2 lost in NFC championship
1993: 10-6 lost in NFC championship
1994: 13-3 Super Bowl winner
1995: 11-5 lost in divisional playoffs
1996: 12-4 lost in divisional playoffs
1997: 13-3 lost in NFC championship
1998: 12-4 lost in divisional playoffs
1999: 4-12 Steve Young leaves the team after the 4th game due to a concussion

That is a pretty impressive run.

Jodee

I think some are concerned with our 2nd round picks which have been mediocre for awhile and have little faith it can all gel together so fast....and in reality they have a right to feel that way.

Picking draft picks and FAs to come in a make a sudden impact is a crap shoot and having players develop in year two is expected but not always works out (see Adalius Thomas),the Colts connected very well last season plus had some strong locker room support,thats why they got as far as they did.

Yes, I agree with much of what youre saying here. Question - who were the Saints' true leaders on D last year? Leaders are guys making plays. We didnt have any last year because few plays were being made. Im just cautiously optimistic that more plays will be made this year, more leaders will emerge as a result, and this D will step up and naturally improve. Because to answer the original question, Darren Sharper was the true leader on that Saints' D last year, and he's basically been shown the door there after only one year. Leadership can evolve pretty quickly in professional sports. Rodney Harrison was one of ours from day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST