PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 weeks into FA season, Pats' approach still makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 5 weeks into FA season, PATS approach still makes no sense

First of all if you were smart, you would understand that this FA class was not great... The Pats are focused on the draft, and this uncapped year is making things difficult..

Second there is no approach this year, because there is nobody of good value out there..

Is it just me, or didnt I just watch the Colts play in the Superbowl? And didnt that Colts team just make a run with 2 brand new receivers playing key roles, though technically only one of them was a rookie, after drafting a RB in the first round, while also missing their best defensive player yet pretty much the entire season? Didnt that just happen?

Why cant we add Brandon Tate to this offense, expect further improvement from Julian Edelman, draft a rookie at receiver who'll be ready to contribute, expect legitimate improvement from the many players on D who were new to our system whether by age or experience last year, and think that Tom Brady will simply be a better QB in year 2 following his ACL tear? Is it me, or does that not seem entirely out of the question? Dont teams improve from year to year without squaring up on the panic button?

indy runs a basic WR system, which can be picked up easily, also why pretty much any reciver in indy will find success

we do not run a similar system, and thats why we cant just plug anyone in there, and definetely usually cant use rookies...

Last edited:

The "we have Belichick and Brady and thats all we need to stay in contention" does not work anymore,this team needs EVERY player on the roster to be a hard nosed player who will accept nothing less than a win every week and play like this week was thier last on earth to show something.

It never worked that way--some people would like to think that now but, as much of a superstar that Brady is, ironically it was always the TEAM buying into BB's methods and into each other that made the Patriots teams of the early decade and 2006 so great. It's why a Matt Cassel-led team was able to go 11-5. 2007 was a complete aberration. That was when the team concept became overshadowed by superstars, setting records, and making history, all with revenge-fueled motivation at its core.

However, I'm still optimistic that BB is in the process of putting it all together again, as he has shown he can do in the past.

Last edited:

The only two guys I felt we "missed" out on were Boldin and Cromartie. I would've traded a 2011 3rd for Cromartie in a heartbeat, and I probably would've traded #53 to get Boldin.

I'd say although it may have lacked the excitement of the Bears, the offseason has been pretty successful so far. Neal came back which is a big plus b/c when healthy he is great. Big Vince was locked up long term to anchor the middle of our D. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Bodden, he was a solid player for us in 09 and him being brought back is another positive. TBC was our best pass rusher last year and he was retained.

I'll admit that I dreamed of and wanted the Pats to possibly add a guy like Peppers or Boldin or even Marshall. But the chances of getting guys like that were marginal. We weren't going to break the bank and put all of our eggs in one basket.

We're still loaded with 4 top 53 draft picks in an amazingly deep draft, there is still time for a trade, and there are still some second tier guys out there who could be solid pickups, like Jason Taylor.

I'm not going to hit the panic button until after I see what we do during the draft. I mean if we don't take any DE/OLB in the draft, I'm going to start to worry.

One last thing, as far as the "Tannenbaum drafts so much better" theory; something to consider:

2006: Jets draft 4th; Pats draft 21st
2007: Jets draft 25th; Pats draft 28th
2008: Jets draft 6th; Pats (don't) draft 31st
2009: Jets draft 17th; Pats draft 26th

When a team is on average drafting more than half-way closer to the top of the draft, I would expect their draft picks to be much better. If they're comparable, that has to be considered a loss for the team drafting early and a win for the team drafting late.

It hasn't been an exciting offseason, but I think Coach B. said it best when asked his approach to free agency. The best free agents just happened to be Patriots.

Ramon is a troll, but what he trolls for is a *********** of like minded, front runner malcontents to blow smoke up his skirt so he feels important... His limited number of threads here (Ian should up the posting requirement to 1000...) include such classic rants as Emperor Bill, A great OL (like the Colts) wins championships, Pats should keep AD, Pats could learn a lot from the JETS FO, Pats ranked 14th in TSN poll...

Respect is earned, on message boards as well as in life. You basically reap what you sow buddy.

:trolls:

Besides uping the post count requirement to start threads, Ian should bring back rep and extreme negative rep should prohibit starting threads but not prevent posting.

It hasn't been an exciting offseason, but I think Coach B. said it best when asked his approach to free agency. The best free agents just happened to be Patriots.

Exactly right, I said that in my earlier post. Why would the Pats sign guys that aren't as good as their own? Just because we havent brought in many new players does not mean we have had a bad off season. Be patient people...

I don't get the hemming and hawing so far before the season starts. Who was available? Peppers? If you sign Peppers there's no money for Wilfork and now we're looking for a nose tackle. Plus there's the morale factor of players not believing they'll get paid if they do their jobs. You need to reward your own for good performance; what the Sox have been doing is the right strategy.

There are not many teams out there that would swap situations with the Patriots. Any team with Brady on it is a contender. Belichick has consistently played for the long haul as opposed to loading up for one season. It's a strategy that sometimes comes back to bite them -- maybe they win in 2006 if they have Deion Branch, and maybe they win in 2007 if they have Lamarr Woodley. But what they haven't done is gone so far backwards as to be out of the playoffs, excepting the Brady injury year. You manage your assets so that you have a chance every year, you get into the tournament with Brady, and you take your chances. They had a relatively poor team (poor relative to their own standards) in 2006 and almost got it done because the club got hot at the right time.

Last year the exact opposite happened. They lost a star player in the last week, they went through some demoralizing close losses, and they had no momentum at all. But was last year's team really that much worse than the 2006 team? Not on paper. There wasn't anything close to the absurdity of trotting out Reche Caldwell as a #1 receiver, or relying on Artrell Hawkins in the defensive backfield, or starting Eric Alexander in a playoff game. Moreover that 2006 was very lucky health-wise, unlike last year's club, which had significant absences all year.

This current Patriots team has more talent than that 2006 club I think. They have many more emerging young players than that team (Vollmer, Meriweather, Mayo, Butler, Chung and Edelman are a better group than Mankins, Watson, Maroney, and Hobbs), they are bound to get some more good young players this year, and they're also not looking at losing key players before next season -- Watson is probably the biggest loss.

People have to remember that a lot of this is luck. Injuries, momentum, a couple of bad bounces here and there. If Kevin Faulk doesn't bobble that pass in Indy, what does last season look like? They key is to be consistently good and give yourself a chance at the end of the year. And they pretty much always do just that. I think they made good choices this year -- keeping their good players and trying to add through the draft. It's a solid strategy. Not terribly sexy, but smart.

I don't get the hemming and hawing so far before the season starts. Who was available? Peppers? If you sign Peppers there's no money for Wilfork and now we're looking for a nose tackle. Plus there's the morale factor of players not believing they'll get paid if they do their jobs. You need to reward your own for good performance; what the Sox have been doing is the right strategy.

There are not many teams out there that would swap situations with the Patriots. Any team with Brady on it is a contender. Belichick has consistently played for the long haul as opposed to loading up for one season. It's a strategy that sometimes comes back to bite them -- maybe they win in 2006 if they have Deion Branch, and maybe they win in 2007 if they have Lamarr Woodley. But what they haven't done is gone so far backwards as to be out of the playoffs, excepting the Brady injury year. You manage your assets so that you have a chance every year, you get into the tournament with Brady, and you take your chances. They had a relatively poor team (poor relative to their own standards) in 2006 and almost got it done because the club got hot at the right time.

Last year the exact opposite happened. They lost a star player in the last week, they went through some demoralizing close losses, and they had no momentum at all. But was last year's team really that much worse than the 2006 team? Not on paper. There wasn't anything close to the absurdity of trotting out Reche Caldwell as a #1 receiver, or relying on Artrell Hawkins in the defensive backfield, or starting Eric Alexander in a playoff game. Moreover that 2006 was very lucky health-wise, unlike last year's club, which had significant absences all year.

This current Patriots team has more talent than that 2006 club I think. They have many more emerging young players than that team (Vollmer, Meriweather, Mayo, Butler, Chung and Edelman are a better group than Mankins, Watson, Maroney, and Hobbs), they are bound to get some more good young players this year, and they're also not looking at losing key players before next season -- Watson is probably the biggest loss.

People have to remember that a lot of this is luck. Injuries, momentum, a couple of bad bounces here and there. If Kevin Faulk doesn't bobble that pass in Indy, what does last season look like? They key is to be consistently good and give yourself a chance at the end of the year. And they pretty much always do just that. I think they made good choices this year -- keeping their good players and trying to add through the draft. It's a solid strategy. Not terribly sexy, but smart.

Nice post. Sadly people who aren't smart mock smart simply because it isn't sexy. We have a lot more posters here lately who are not only not smart but are also quite a few who are so ignorant they are vocally arrogant about it... the disenchanted front runner segment of this fanbase is among it's fastest growing, particularly on the internet. They see themselves as critical thinkers... and develop a persecution complex because others see them for what they truly are, malcontented, spoiled, insufferable children. What's that old saying, misery loves company. Starting a thread like this allows them to identify each other and align to rail against the common enemy, who is always identified as the homer who stifles independent thought and freedom of expression...LOL

Nice post. Sadly people who aren't smart mock smart simply because it isn't sexy. We have a lot more posters here lately who are not only not smart but are also quite a few who are so ignorant they are vocally arrogant about it... the disenchanted front runner segment of this fanbase is among it's fastest growing, particularly on the internet. They see themselves as critical thinkers... and develop a persecution complex because others see them for what they truly are, malcontented, spoiled, insufferable children. What's that old saying, misery loves company. Starting a thread like this allows them to identify each other and align to rail against the common enemy, who is always identified as the homer who stifles independent thought and freedom of expression...LOL

I've refrained from posting on this thread b/c I quite frankly throught it was so far off base that actually getting sucked in is a similar experience to calling in on EEI on Monday after a Pats loss.

Seeing that I can't help myself :p, IMO BB and the rest of the FOs approach this off-season makes perfect sense. Keep the core guys who perform on the field and are solid locker room people. Exercise fiscal restraint in an uncertain economic climate and focus on acquiring solid veteran talent. Be patient with the 2nd and 3rd year players and let them develop and use the selections to better the team in some, way, shape or form.

Boldin is probably the one that stands out the most. I'm sure he'll be excellent for the Jets next season. Ryan and company really stepped up on that one.

Wait, Boldin went to the Jets? Who knew!?

:p

He is nothing more than a JAG (if that) at this (very advanced) stage of his career.

On what basis are you making this statement? I'm sure the fact that the OL kind of falls apart every time he's not in there is a pretty compelling piece of evidence in support of your argument.

All the indications and rankings I've seen have Neal very highly rated. The issue was never his talent; the issue is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

When healthy, Neal is still a very good guard.

Seriously this has been a very good off-season and we hast ammo.

Remember how we got Moss? I'm thinking we'll collect some great talent when the draft comes/passes as teams become unrealistically enamoured of draft picks/new players and let someone go who they really shouldn't. Happens EVERY year.

9 months into his stint on patsfans.com and ramon still makes no sense

9 months into his stint on patsfans.com and ramon still makes no sense

& it's Nomar spelled backwards

Besides uping the post count requirement to start threads, Ian should bring back rep and extreme negative rep should prohibit starting threads but not prevent posting.

If he does this, the reps should not be anonymous. I would be all for it then.

& it's Nomar spelled backwards

I was referring to his post, not his name.
But admittedly I did think ramon was his first name until your post

I love the conspiracy theorists about my name...

Bottom line:

1. Anyone who wants to rely on Rookies to fill in the big talent gaps for this team for the 2010 season is making a big mistake...

2. I hope everyone on this thread who says I do not know what I am talking about...will admit they are wrong when the Patients finish their 9-7 season

3. Those self appointed experts on this board who pelt those with differing opinions with harsh insults have succeeded in ruining the board...congratulations...its a DEAD BOARD!! youve managed to scare people away from taking any chances withh their opinion...you know who you are

If he does this, the reps should not be anonymous. I would be all for it then.

Yah, I'd thought that when Ian eliminated rep he intended to replace it with one that's NOT anon. Perhaps he feel that such a system might provoke open warfare as folks get 'wicked pissed' at posters who diss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes