PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Wide Receivers *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gotta say Grid,... Thanks again for all of the hard work, on some of the better posts on the entire board. It is a true pleasure to have this to read and pass the time.

You are a very intelligent football observer, and ( unlike some others on the board... We all know who they are) you share this knowledge with us without the negativity, or belittling and condescending attitude that we get from some of the other admittedly ( begrudgingly :rolleyes:) knowledgable posters, who all too frequently, make a living by killing happiness in some other threads. :p

This is the kind of stuff that makes it fun and worthwhile to assemble as fans on an Internet forum and have discussions.

Thank you once again :rocker:

You OVERWHELM me, Brother Blizzard!! :D

It means the WORLD to me that Fellow FootBall Fanatics such as yourself enjoy my Labor of Love, Brother Blizzard. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to write such kind words!!
beer.gif

Side Note: I understand completely and sympathize with the unfortunate tones that some fine minds take. I'm sure we agree that, sometimes, praise ~ or simply: longevity ~ gets to one's head, and one is tempted to assume a more domineering, overbearing, and even condescending tone, and that's a damned shame. I used to love reading Ron Borges, about 20 years ago, for instance. MaineMan and Jay52, for a couple, have been here for a while and offer tremendous insights without their egos getting in the way, and there are several others that make sifting through the gravel worth while!! :D

*And thank YOU, Brother Finn, for your kind words!! :cool:

OK Grid, its your thread, so you only you can provide the answers.

Good LORD, man.
facepalm.gif

Thank you, but this is everybody's thread.

I am but one of many contributors.

Junior Hemingway at 6'1" 225 ran a 4.53 at the combine and had the fastest 3-Cone and short shuttle. His numbers aren't great but he was hurt part of his senior year and they transitioned from a spread to pro style offense. He was a team captain and all academic which at Michigan is pretty good. He has some limited experience in kick and punt returns.

He's probably a UDFA but I wouldn't mind them taking a shot at him in the late rounds.

Just gotta say Grid,... Thanks again for all of the hard work, on some of the better posts on the entire board.
Better? Some of the BEST posts on the entire board. It's obvious Grid has put alot of time and effort into the analyses of the 2012 NFL Draft prospects.

Tremendous job Grid!

Well there go my hopes of drafting Alshon Jeffery.

Kevin Weidl ‏ @Kevin_Weidl
Clocked jeffery at a 4.38 first 40 attempt

He weighed in at 213lbs, 36.5 vert and 10-2 broad jump. I think we can officially stop the 'Alshon Jeffery is fat and slow' garbage. By draft day he could be back in the top 10 where he belongs.

Edit:
Jeffery 4.47 on second attempt

Consensus seems to be mid to high 4.4's which is definitely fast enough.

Last edited:

He weighed in at 213lbs, 36.5 vert and 10-2 broad jump. I think we can officially stop the 'Alshon Jeffery is fat and slow' garbage. By draft day he could be back in the top 10 where he belongs.

Edit:

Reading the 4.38 isn't accurate. But, the 4.47 on his 2nd attempt was. Yup, he's a top 20 pick now. On the bright side, should drop a defensive player lower which is what we really need.

Edit:

He might still be a better pro than Blackmon. Sleeper for best WR in the Draft. Makes Moss type catches. Best CB in the SEC he competed with and won mostly with perhaps the worst QB in the SEC pitching.
Bigger and faster than Floyd. Bigger than Blackmon. Moves up to second WR on my board.

South Carolina WR have been hammered but a healthy Sydney Rice is still a top ten NFL WR in my opinion. It's health not talent with him. Now maybe Flynn can work with him because Jackson is pretty bad.

Here is another thought, Jeffery works against the South Carolina DBs every day in practice. The last three of four years there have been some very good DBs coming out of Carolina.

Jeffery on the Pats would be neat to see what Brady can do with him.

He was never fat and never slow. Some NFL Team that is interested in playing "keep-a-way" sent out that B.S. beachball.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Scouts i talked to Clocked jeffery anywhere from high 4.4's to.low 4.5's. Im in the stands so don't have a clear shot.

So call it 4.5 even, is that really enough to make him a top 20 pick?

He might still be a better pro than Blackmon. Sleeper for best WR in the Draft. Makes Moss type catches. Best CB in the SEC he competed with and won mostly with perhaps the worst QB in the SEC pitching.
Bigger and faster than Floyd. Bigger than Blackmon. Moves up to second WR on my board.

South Carolina WR have been hammered but a healthy Sydney Rice is still a top ten NFL WR in my opinion. It's health not talent with him. Now maybe Flynn can work with him because Jackson is pretty bad.

Here is another thought, Jeffery works against the South Carolina DBs every day in practice. The last three of four years there have been some very good DBs coming out of Carolina.

Jeffery on the Pats would be neat to see what Brady can do with him.
DW Toys

I like him as a prospect. But, I don't feel he fits our offense. Precision patterns and reads are more important in our system. Run downfield and fight the db for the ball is what some other teams like to do. Seems like an ideal replacement for Vincent Jackson in San Diego. He absolutely torched Alabama in 2010 when they were ranked first and on a long winning streak. Best player on the field. His qb play this year was a joke. Can't blame him for that.

Woah, slow down. He was never faster than Floyd, and he's only a quarter of an inch taller. He's still the 5th overall receiver IMO. That's for the average NFL team, not the Pats.

Woah, slow down. He was never faster than Floyd, and he's only a quarter of an inch taller. He's still the 5th overall receiver IMO. That's for the average NFL team, not the Pats.

Just curious. Who are your top 4?

Grid,

You've put a lot of time into something many have gotten a lot of enjoyment from, the next Sam Adams is on me even if we don't draft Silatolu.

So call it 4.5 even, is that really enough to make him a top 20 pick?

No, but his tape certainly is. While he might not be the sharpest in and out of his breaks, he is consistent which I believe is far more important for this system. He has great length, elite body control and from day 1 will arguably have the best hands in the NFL. He is kind of like the Gronkowski of WRs. He isn't the most athletic, but he is physical, has a huge catch radius and will catch anything thrown his way. Last year many 'experts' even had him ranked higher than AJ Green and Julio Jones and the only reason he isn't a top 10 pick now is because of crappy QB play and a single photo. I wouldn't hesitate to draft him at 27 and I would even trade into the high 20's for him because I believe he is that good.

No, but his tape certainly is. While he might not be the sharpest in and out of his breaks, he is consistent which I believe is far more important for this system. He has great length, elite body control and from day 1 will arguably have the best hands in the NFL. He is kind of like the Gronkowski of WRs. He isn't the most athletic, but he is physical, has a huge catch radius and will catch anything thrown his way. Last year many 'experts' even had him ranked higher than AJ Green and Julio Jones and the only reason he isn't a top 10 pick now is because of crappy QB play and a single photo. I wouldn't hesitate to draft him at 27 and I would even trade into the high 20's for him because I believe he is that good.

Well I hope your right (that he's out of our range), because he'll never be able to run an option route.

We seem to agree on a lot of things, but never receivers. The first thing I look for in a receiver for the Pats is something that tells me he is likely to understand the offense. I can't see it with Jeffery, in fact he is about as bad as it gets.

Tony Pauline ‏ @TonyPauline
Jeffery's official times being passed around the workout as 4.49/4.50...

What else could we get with what it would cost to draft Jeffery in the 1st? Would Brian Quick and Amini Silatolu (assuming they're available) give us more impact than Jeffery alone?

Well I hope your right (that he's out of our range), because he'll never be able to run an option route.

We seem to agree on a lot of things, but never receivers. The first thing I look for in a receiver for the Pats is something that tells me he is likely to understand the offense. I can't see it with Jeffery, in fact he is about as bad as it gets.

What makes you think he can't do it. I don't see why he has any less chance of doing it than any of the other 90%+ college WRs that haven't run option routes. He seems like an intelligent enough kid to learn what he is suppose to do. I also think the whole option route thing is overblown. I think the bigger issue is being able to get on the same page as Brady on how a route is to be run rather than the actual route. This is where I think consistency is more important than actual route running. You can be an average route runner, but as long as Brady has confidence that you will be in the same place at the same time each time you run a route, than I don't think it's an issue. I think the biggest issues for WRs in this system is gaining Brady's trust, not learning the system. That's where I value production in a college WR, where they have shown they can form a relationship with a QB. I think the best example of this in this draft is Juron Criner with Nick Foles. And Jeffery showed that in 2010 with Garcia. It's also where I don't like guys like Hill where he has shown me non of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe