PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Wide Receivers *

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about Danny Coale out of Virginia Tech? He's a utility WR, he also punts pretty well and returns them too.

1 ~ I prize Processing Speed + Route Running above all

7 ~ The ability to Rapidly Read + React to the deliberately deceitfull changes that D's implement after the snap ~ Processing Speed, Ladies + Gentlemen!! ~ and to redirect one's assignment, based on our intensive, exhausting, and hideously complex training...and, furthermore, to do so correctly, reliably, decisively...and in a MICRO second...is a daunting challenge, indeed: One that accomplished veterans like Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, and Chad Johnson have all found utterly overwhelming.

8 ~ As such, Brandon Lloyd's proven ability to FLOURISH in this System...has a Seismic Level potential Impact that I strongly suspect about the vast majority of us don't fully grasp at this point. The ability to offer a TRUE Horizontal Threat to the Defense ~ yes, Horizontal ~ is something that we haven't had in two long years, ever since Randy Moss evaporated. Therefore, there is NO precedent of our having that true Horizontal Threat combined with our devastating Tight Ends and Wes Welker tearing up the middle of the field!! Think of the consequences of THAT, if you will!!

I agree that Processing Speed is the of utmost importance for a pass catcher in our O. I like to think of it as the offensive Flex positions "seeing the game through the same set of eyes" (as Brady). We've just gone from 3 guys sharing eyes w/ Brady to 4. It can not be understated how big a deal that is. Should really show in the hurry up IMO.

4 ~ There are 6 Set positions ~ 5 Grizzlies and 1 QuarterBack ~ and 5 Flex positions on Offense. Given my druthers, all 5 of those Flex positions would be dangerous in both the Running AND in the Passing Games. I have NO interest in Full Backs, Power Backs, and Tight Ends who can't catch the ball and make plays with it, and I have limitted interest in Wide Outs who either can't or won't Block, though a guy who's Route Running is adept enough to consistently demand Double Teams warrants consideration...The tactical advantage of unpredictability...is VAST.

Again I agree. Unpredictability is the ULTIMATE weapon. The 2 TE's give us an abundance of unpredictability. We are a complete RB away from unleashing the likes of a morphing offense that has never been seen in the NFL. Last year I felt our RB allowed opposing defenses to key on a range of plays we'd run from a certain formation. This year we have 2 RB's on the roster who could possibly change all of that.

Additionally, I believe RB requires drastically less processing speed than a WR or TE. The options for a RB on a pass play are generally block to a side or release for a check down, much easier than deciding between 3 or 4 routes. This means we are VERY close to having ALL flex positions seeing the game through the same eyes as Brady. :eek: And when/if that happens the only thing could stop our O would be ourselves :rocker:

With the 3 signings we have made at WR, along with Welker, Branch, and Ocho Cinco, I highly doubt we draft a WR early on.

Notes

1 ~ I prize Processing Speed + Route Running above all, and place Fluidity, Torsion, Verticity, Burst, Lateral Agility, and Core Strength and Power all above "40" Time, so my views will diverge with the vast majority!!

2 ~ My equally radical notion that Flex Ends and Wing Backs offer revolutionary possibilities means that I want to see their roles expand at the direct cost of Slot Ends. This is a rather awful shame, because this Draft Class is replete with exceptional Slot End Prospects at tremendous discounts!!

3 ~ Were Wes Welker not the greatest Slot End who ever walked this Earth, and a guy who exudes all the very finest and greatest attributes of The Patriot Way, I would cut him lose, because of this. As it is, I would offer him the choice between negotiating his own Sign + Trade or accepting a two year $21 Million contract with every penny guaranteed. That's an unusual approach, but the admiration, gratitude, and affection he has earned around here fully warrants it. Of course, most will consider it blasphemy that I'm talking about letting him go ~ or extending at a greatly reduced rate ~ in 2 years, anyway, and I can fully appreciate that: There is NO Soul, in ALL of New EngLand, who wanted him more, back in 2007, or who had higher expectations of him. And I will further annoy and nauseate anyone reading this by reminding y'all that it was I ~ and possibly I, alone ~ who predicted he'd be back by Opening Day, 2010...as indeed, he was. I WORSHIP this guy...And that is the only reason I'm talking about keeping him, at his age, for his Market Value, at a position that I would intend to relegate to Sub Packs, starting in 2014!! Blasphemy!! :D

4 ~ There are 6 Set positions ~ 5 Grizzlies and 1 QuarterBack ~ and 5 Flex positions on Offense. Given my druthers, all 5 of those Flex positions would be dangerous in both the Running AND in the Passing Games. I have NO interest in Full Backs, Power Backs, and Tight Ends who can't catch the ball and make plays with it, and I have limitted interest in Wide Outs who either can't or won't Block, though a guy who's Route Running is adept enough to consistently demand Double Teams warrants consideration...The tactical advantage of unpredictability...is VAST.

5 ~ As such, my main targets are not Slot Ends ~ as explained ~ or Flanker Ends ~ who tend to be smaller as well, and are lined up OFF the Line for a reason, and it ain't because they're tenacious Blockers. My targets are big, tall, tenacious Split Ends who run crispy Routes and command all those other attributes I referenced, up top.

6 ~ Even so, I PRAYED for us to seal the deal on Brandon Lloyd. He's no shrimp, in any case.

7 ~ The ability to Rapidly Read + React to the deliberately deceitfull changes that D's implement after the snap ~ Processing Speed, Ladies + Gentlemen!! ~ and to redirect one's assignment, based on our intensive, exhausting, and hideously complex training...and, furthermore, to do so correctly, reliably, decisively...and in a MICRO second...is a daunting challenge, indeed: One that accomplished veterans like Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, and Chad Johnson have all found utterly overwhelming.

8 ~ As such, Brandon Lloyd's proven ability to FLOURISH in this System...has a Seismic Level potential Impact that I strongly suspect about the vast majority of us don't fully grasp at this point. The ability to offer a TRUE Horizontal Threat to the Defense ~ yes, Horizontal ~ is something that we haven't had in two long years, ever since Randy Moss evaporated. Therefore, there is NO precedent of our having that true Horizontal Threat combined with our devastating Tight Ends and Wes Welker tearing up the middle of the field!! Think of the consequences of THAT, if you will!! :eek:

I can promise you: Tom Brady has been.

9 ~ I've always been a big fan of developing Day 3 and UFA Wide Out Talent: Not only does it seem that you're almost as likely to find Top Shelf Talent down the line, like that, the fact that the incubation periods for Wide Outs is usually a painfully slow process compels me to discount their Market Value in my assessments in the first place.

10 ~ As such, I won't be recommending Michael Floyd, much as I absolutely love this guy's Game.

11 ~ I will not rule out Slot Ends, but I will probably pass on Joe Adams and Ty Hilton, because I see even better Values, later on, as I assess them.

12 ~ Keeping with Slot Ends, I will take a long look at both Jarius Wright ~ who I a freaking NUTS about!! ~ and Devon Wylie. And I like Ryan Broyles as an eminently Stashable IR guy who could really kick it up starting in 2013.

13 ~ Greg Childs intrigues me, if the price is right, as a reemerging Split End who likes to Block.

14 ~ There's something about Marvin Jones, isn't there?? I think we have to have him, don't you??

15 ~ And I ~ um ~ probably made myself pretty clear about Dale Moss. :p

When all is said and done, he could very well prove to be the best of them all.
Ryan Broyles needs to be on your shorter list, since he has the potential to be picked by the New England Patriots with the #126 overall draft selection in 2012. Also, Ryan Broyles returned punts in college and Julian Edelman will be an unresticted free agent in 2013. Food for thought.

Last edited:
1 ~ I prize Processing Speed + Route Running above all, and place Fluidity, Torsion, Verticity, Burst, Lateral Agility, and Core Strength and Power all above "40" Time, so my views will diverge with the vast majority!!

8 ~ As such, Brandon Lloyd's proven ability to FLOURISH in this System...has a Seismic Level potential Impact that I strongly suspect about the vast majority of us don't fully grasp at this point. The ability to offer a TRUE Horizontal Threat to the Defense ~ yes, Horizontal ~ is something that we haven't had in two long years, ever since Randy Moss evaporated. Therefore, there is NO precedent of our having that true Horizontal Threat combined with our devastating Tight Ends and Wes Welker tearing up the middle of the field!! Think of the consequences of THAT, if you will!! :eek:

I agree that Processing Speed is the of utmost importance for a pass catcher in our O. I like to think of it as the offensive Flex positions "seeing the game through the same set of eyes" (as Brady). We've just gone from 3 guys sharing eyes w/ Brady to 4. It can not be understated how big a deal that is. Should really show in the hurry up IMO.

Again I agree. Unpredictability is the ULTIMATE weapon. The 2 TE's give us an abundance of unpredictability. We are a complete RB away from unleashing the likes of a morphing offense that has never been seen in the NFL. Last year I felt our RB allowed opposing defenses to key on a range of plays we'd run from a certain formation. This year we have 2 RB's on the roster who could possibly change all of that.

Additionally, I believe RB requires drastically less processing speed than a WR or TE. The options for a RB on a pass play are generally block to a side or release for a check down, much easier than deciding between 3 or 4 routes. This means we are VERY close to having ALL flex positions seeing the game through the same eyes as Brady. :eek: And when/if that happens the only thing could stop our O would be ourselves :rocker:

I just want to say, for the record, that this is one of the most brilliant posts I've read, around here.

The most important pieces are actually already in place.

We could be on the verge of being unstoppable.

Off The Grid said:

2 ~ My equally radical notion that Flex Ends and Wing Backs offer revolutionary possibilities means that I want to see their roles expand at the direct cost of Slot Ends. This is a rather awful shame, because this Draft Class is replete with exceptional Slot End Prospects at tremendous discounts!!

3 ~ Were Wes Welker not the greatest Slot End who ever walked this Earth, and a guy who exudes all the very finest and greatest attributes of The Patriot Way, I would cut him lose, because of this. As it is, I would offer him the choice between negotiating his own Sign + Trade or accepting a two year $21 Million contract with every penny guaranteed. That's an unusual approach, but the admiration, gratitude, and affection he has earned around here fully warrants it. Of course, most will consider it blasphemy that I'm talking about letting him go ~ or extending at a greatly reduced rate ~ in 2 years, anyway, and I can fully appreciate that: There is NO Soul, in ALL of New EngLand, who wanted him more, back in 2007, or who had higher expectations of him. And I will further annoy and nauseate anyone reading this by reminding y'all that it was I ~ and possibly I, alone ~ who predicted he'd be back by Opening Day, 2010...as indeed, he was. I WORSHIP this guy...And that is the only reason I'm talking about keeping him, at his age, for his Market Value, at a position that I would intend to relegate to Sub Packs, starting in 2014!! Blasphemy!! :D

5 ~ As such, my main targets are not Slot Ends ~ as explained ~ or Flanker Ends ~ who tend to be smaller as well, and are lined up OFF the Line for a reason, and it ain't because they're tenacious Blockers. My targets are big, tall, tenacious Split Ends who run crispy Routes and command all those other attributes I referenced, up top.

6 ~ Even so, I PRAYED for us to seal the deal on Brandon Lloyd. He's no shrimp, in any case.

I can promise you: Tom Brady has been.

9 ~ I've always been a big fan of developing Day 3 and UFA Wide Out Talent: Not only does it seem that you're almost as likely to find Top Shelf Talent down the line, like that, the fact that the incubation periods for Wide Outs is usually a painfully slow process compels me to discount their Market Value in my assessments in the first place.

10 ~ As such, I won't be recommending Michael Floyd, much as I absolutely love this guy's Game.

11 ~ I will not rule out Slot Ends, but I will probably pass on Joe Adams and Ty Hilton, because I see even better Values, later on, as I assess them.

12 ~ Keeping with Slot Ends, I will take a long look at both Jarius Wright ~ who I a freaking NUTS about!! ~ and Devon Wylie. And I like Ryan Broyles as an eminently Stashable IR guy who could really kick it up starting in 2013.

13 ~ Greg Childs intrigues me, if the price is right, as a reemerging Split End who likes to Block.

14 ~ There's something about Marvin Jones, isn't there?? I think we have to have him, don't you??

15 ~ And I ~ um ~ probably made myself pretty clear about Dale Moss. :p

When all is said and done, he could very well prove to be the best of them all.

Ryan Broyles needs to be on your shorter list, since he has the potential to be picked by the New England Patriots with the #126 overall draft selection in 2012. Also, Ryan Broyles returned punts in college and Julian Edelman will be an unresticted free agent in 2013. Food for thought.

Well, I hope it's obvious that I have been perfectly aware of Ryan Broyles's tremendous capabilities for quite awhile, now. He's been a Binky of mine for so long that I don't even remember when it started...And I have clearly not been alone in this sentiment. I applaud your promotion of him.

But there are four factors that assuage my agreement with you:

1 ~ The reality with such injuries is that it would be a mistake to count on any production at all out'f'm until 2013...or to expect him to really get rolling until 2014.

2 ~ This Class is festooned with outstanding yet ridiculously cheap and healthy Slot End talent.

3 ~ The wisdom of pursuing Slot End talent for a team ~ ours ~ that already boasts amazing Middle of the Field Receiving talent in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron The Navigator is dubious, to say the least.

4 ~ Drafting Broyles in the 4th Round would be premature, my friend.

But there are four factors that assuage my agreement with you:

1 ~ The reality with such injuries is that it would be a mistake to count on any production at all out'f'm until 2013...or to expect him to really get rolling until 2014.
By selecting a wide receiver in the 2012 NFL Draft, the aforementioned wide receiver prospect would most likely sit on the bench for the vast majority of the season as was the case with Taylor Price during his short tenure with the New England Patriots. Selecting a wide receiver in the 2012 NFL Draft with the full intention of stashing him away on injured reserve provides depth for the 2013 NFL Season. As far as I know, the New England Patriots only have one competent wide receiver under contract for the 2013 NFL Season.

2 ~ This Class is festooned with outstanding yet ridiculously cheap and healthy Slot End talent.
How much of that slot end talent can contribute to special teams?

3 ~ The wisdom of pursuing Slot End talent for a team ~ ours ~ that already boasts amazing Middle of the Field Receiving talent in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron The Navigator is dubious, to say the least.
Yet, Wes Welker led the New England Patriots offense during the 2011 NFL Season in receptions.

4 ~ Drafting Broyles in the 4th Round would be premature, my friend.
According to NFLDraftScout, Ryan Broyles is currently rated the #111 overall prospect in the 2012 NFL Draft.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Whether a fourth round selection is premature for Ryan Broyles is a matter of perception. We can calmly agree to disagree on the topic.

By selecting a wide receiver in the 2012 NFL Draft, the aforementioned wide receiver prospect would most likely sit on the bench for the vast majority of the season as was the case with Taylor Price during his short tenure with the New England Patriots. Selecting a wide receiver in the 2012 NFL Draft with the full intention of stashing him away on injured reserve provides depth for the 2013 NFL Season. As far as I know, the New England Patriots only have one competent wide receiver under contract for the 2013 NFL Season.

Yet, Wes Welker led the New England Patriots offense during the 2011 NFL Season in receptions.

According to NFLDraftScout, Ryan Broyles is currently rated the #111 overall prospect in the 2012 NFL Draft.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Whether a fourth round selection is premature for Ryan Broyles is a matter of perception. We can calmly agree to disagree on the topic.

Slot Ends tend to be pretty substantial contributors to Special Teams.

Julian Edelman ~ the guy you'd presumably be bouncing off the Roster ~ says "Hello." ;)

Yet, considering that Broyles is a very likely IR candidate this year, I'd answer: "More than HIM." :eek:

Yes.

And our Offense has been ground to an HALT, each of the last two years, as soon as we faced Premier Defenses in the PlayOffs, for precisely the reason I just explained to you: too much Investment in "Middle of the Field" Receiving talent, and only dregs invested on the Outside ~ Horizontal ~ Receivers.
th_coffee.gif

We can, indeed.

And you may be right about his Market Value.

But if we were going to pursue a Slot End ~ a mistake in my view, but a reasonable move ~ with Jarius Wright, Joe Adams, Devon Wylie, and Ty Hilton offering terrific values for explosive, healthy talent, drafting Broyles in the 4th Round would be a pretty foolish move, if you ask me.

And our Offense has been ground to an HALT, each of the last two years, as soon as we faced Premier Defenses in the PlayOffs, for precisely the reason I just explained to you: too much Investment in "Middle of the Field" Receiving talent, and only dregs invested on the Outside ~ Horizontal ~ Receivers.

Thank you, this needs repeating.

Last edited:
Slot Ends tend to be pretty substantial contributors to Special Teams.

Julian Edelman ~ the guy you'd presumably be bouncing off the Roster ~ says "Hello." ;)
Julian Edelman will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. Ryan Broyles would be Julian Edelman's replacement in 2013 and would be groomed behind Wes Welker on the depth chart.

Yet, considering that Broyles is a very likely IR candidate this year, I'd answer: "More than HIM." :eek:
Another slot receiver for the 2012 New England Patriots offense?

th_coffee.gif
Isn't unrestricted free agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd the answer to the question? As for Ochocinco, don't blame me for the unwarranted trade of a 33 year old wide receiver last year that resulted in the loss of a fifth round draft selection in the 2012 NFL Draft.

The $64,000 question:

Based upon the unrestricted free agent transactions in March 2012, does it seem that Bill Belichick has lost patience developing rookie wide receivers directly from the collegiate ranks, especially after cutting wide receivers Brandon Tate and Taylor Price in calendar year 2011?

Last edited:
I'm sure you're right that BB is frustrated when picks don't work out, like the slew of DBs he's drafted--Merriweather, Wilhite, Butler--who were supposed to have played much better.

But you aren't going to think, Tippett, that BB won't take another DB this draft? Even when, like a few of his WRs, he can't seem to draft them very well.

And the jury is still out on Glass IR-Dowling. (I'm still peeved we didn't go for Maryland WR Torrey Smith.) So I am wondering out loud if you're not jumping to conclusions.

You're just drifting aimlessly, now, Brother Tippett...

I made a very clear and simple point:

But if we were going to pursue a Slot End ~ a mistake in my view, but a reasonable move ~ with Jarius Wright, Joe Adams, Devon Wylie, and Ty Hilton offering terrific values for explosive, healthy talent, drafting Broyles in the 4th Round would be a pretty foolish move, if you ask me.

But if you want to invest a 4th Rounder in an IR guy, be my guest.
th_coffee.gif

I really really want to see the Patriots go after Jarius Wright. Dale Moss is also an intriguing late round prospect.

But you aren't going to think, Tippett, that BB won't take another DB this draft? Even when, like a few of his WRs, he can't seem to draft them very well.
With regard to the New England Patriots offense during the past two seasons:

2011 NFL Season: 3rd points scored
2010 NFL Season: 1st points scored

The New England Patriots are the only AFC team that scored over 500 points in the last two consecutive seasons.

During the 2012 unrestricted free agent period, the New England Patriots have added the following offensive players:

Brandon Lloyd
Donte Stallworth
Anthony Gonzalez
Daniel Fells
Robert Gallery
Tony Fiammetta

In addition, six of the first seven draft selections in the 2011 NFL draft were offensive players.

How about investing players via the 2012 NFL Draft on the defensive side of the ball in order to field a defense that won't allow 37 minutes time of possession to the opposition in the Super Bowl?

I really really want to see the Patriots go after Jarius Wright.

Dale Moss is also an intriguing late round prospect.

Right on.

I am FROTHING over Dale Moss's raw upside and Intensity.

And I am just flat out NUTS about Jarius Wright.

He may be a Slot End, but I wouldn't exactly be slitting my wrists, if we drafted him.

Mr Grid and Mr Tippett.

I'm afraid I'm going to go with Al here. I really like Ryan Broyles, not only as a potential slot guy but as a future Branch replacement. As for the others:

I do like Jarius Wright and Joe Adams and would have no problem with either. However, didn't TY Hilton fumble four times in his bowl game alone? Would be surprised if he's even on the Patriots board. And lots of draftniks are concerned by Devon Wylie's injury history. He's probably as likely to end up on IR as Broyles.

So Broyles, Adams and Wright are three nice choices. I'd personally go with Broyles because I feel he'll end up with the better all round game but that's just me.

Mr Grid and Mr Tippett.

I'm afraid I'm going to go with Al here. I really like Ryan Broyles, not only as a potential slot guy but as a future Branch replacement. As for the others:

I do like Jarius Wright and Joe Adams and would have no problem with either. However, didn't TY Hilton fumble four times in his bowl game alone? Would be surprised if he's even on the Patriots board. And lots of draftniks are concerned by Devon Wylie's injury history. He's probably as likely to end up on IR as Broyles.

So Broyles, Adams and Wright are three nice choices. I'd personally go with Broyles because I feel he'll end up with the better all round game but that's just me.

Well, considering that Broyles has been a Binky of mine since Nam, I guess I'll get over it!!
jester.gif

Each to their own, Bro.
thumb.gif

As previously stated: I probably wouldn't draft any'f'm.

I really really want to see the Patriots go after Jarius Wright. Dale Moss is also an intriguing late round prospect.
I also would like the 2012 5th round draft pick back for Chad Ochocinco and the 2012 7th round draft pick for Jarrad Page.

A NFL Franchise just may draft Dale Moss in the seventh round.

I'd personally go with Broyles because I feel he'll end up with the better all round game but that's just me.
Drafting Ryan Broyles in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft would be no different than drafting Brandon Tate in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft, considering both players were recovering from a torn ACL at the time of the draft.

I also would like the 2012 5th round draft pick back for Chad Ochocinco and the 2012 7th round draft pick for Jarrad Page.

A NFL Franchise just may draft Dale Moss in the seventh round.

I know Ocho is just a waste of a roster spot, cap space, and draft picks. :mad:
The pick for Page was also a waste since we didn't even keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe