PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Wide Receivers *

Status
Not open for further replies.
What else could we get with what it would cost to draft Jeffery in the 1st? Would Brian Quick and Amini Silatolu (assuming they're available) give us more impact than Jeffery alone?

That all comes down to individual evaluations. Silatolu is looking more like a 1st rounder so I don't know if you would be able to get those 2 for the same value. I do understand your point though. Personally I would take Jeffery, but that's because I think he is a legit #1 WR, and I'm one of the few that still see WR as a major need, especially long term. There wouldnt be any other WR I would take in the first though, so it all comes down to the individual player.

What makes you think he can't do it. I don't see why he has any less chance of doing it than any of the other 90%+ college WRs that haven't run option routes. He seems like an intelligent enough kid to learn what he is suppose to do. I also think the whole option route thing is overblown. I think the bigger issue is being able to get on the same page as Brady on how a route is to be run rather than the actual route. This is where I think consistency is more important than actual route running. You can be an average route runner, but as long as Brady has confidence that you will be in the same place at the same time each time you run a route, than I don't think it's an issue. I think the biggest issues for WRs in this system is gaining Brady's trust, not learning the system. That's where I value production in a college WR, where they have shown they can form a relationship with a QB. I think the best example of this in this draft is Juron Criner with Nick Foles. And Jeffery showed that in 2010 with Garcia. It's also where I don't like guys like Hill where he has shown me non of this stuff.

Understanding the offense encompasses being on the same page with Brady (something that has proved very difficult) and running correct, precise option routes.

I don't think he can do either of those things because while he may to you, he does not come off as intelligent to me. He's overwhelmed by simple questions, somewhat ****y and diva-like, and inarticulate during interviews. He also seemed to not care at all during the 2011 season, very low effort all around. He also ran probably the simplest offense in the SEC. I think Brady would try to kill him.

c.o.c.k.y. is the censored word.

Last edited:
Interesting thread... spent a lot of time reading it. Good job, Off The Grid.

I have a few personal faves. Broyles, Quick and Streeter if he'd drop to the 4th. Deep group in this draft.

Great handle. Unfortunately, I think OTG's already eaten your Salmon of Knowledge. ;)

Understanding the offense encompasses being on the same page with Brady (something that has proved very difficult) and running correct, precise option routes.

I don't think he can do either of those things because while he may to you, he does not come off as intelligent to me. He's overwhelmed by simple questions, somewhat ****y and diva-like, and inarticulate during interviews. He also seemed to not care at all during the 2011 season, very low effort all around. He also ran probably the simplest offense in the SEC. I think Brady would try to kill him.

I guess we just see different things in this case. I've never seen anybody that knows him or associates with the program describe him in anyway like a diva. In fact most scouting reports I have read praise him for not being a diva, especially after not saying a negative word about the poor QB play last season. And in just about every interview I have seen with him he is always talking about moving forward, working hard, improving and getting ready for the next game. Sure he gives short, non descriptive answers that really don't give a lot of insight, but I can think of at least one NFL team where that seems to be the norm. While you may see him as inarticulate, I see him as a kid that 'gets it' in relation to the media.

I still think Rueben Randle could (and probably should) get drafted ahead of Jeffery. Some of those teams have an interesting decision at the bottom of the first - Stephen Hill, Jeffery or Randle.

I still think Rueben Randle could (and probably should) get drafted ahead of Jeffery. Some of those teams have an interesting decision at the bottom of the first - Stephen Hill, Jeffery or Randle.

The more I read about Randle, and the more I watch his old games, the more convinced I am that he's got the potential to be a true number one at the next level. I would not complain at all if we took him at 31. Serious untapped talent.

What makes you think he can't do it. I don't see why he has any less chance of doing it than any of the other 90%+ college WRs that haven't run option routes. He seems like an intelligent enough kid to learn what he is suppose to do. I also think the whole option route thing is overblown. I think the bigger issue is being able to get on the same page as Brady on how a route is to be run rather than the actual route. This is where I think consistency is more important than actual route running. You can be an average route runner, but as long as Brady has confidence that you will be in the same place at the same time each time you run a route, than I don't think it's an issue. I think the biggest issues for WRs in this system is gaining Brady's trust, not learning the system. That's where I value production in a college WR, where they have shown they can form a relationship with a QB. I think the best example of this in this draft is Juron Criner with Nick Foles. And Jeffery showed that in 2010 with Garcia. It's also where I don't like guys like Hill where he has shown me non of this stuff.

Have to go with you on this one. Route running has never been a negative for him. Separation was the issue. Tough to separate when you are triple teamed and especially when Garcia was the QB who was the Nuke LaLoosh of college football. It was a miracle he caught anything. He did get a lot of infield practice though.

The best DBs in this Draft of the SEC tried to cover him, and that included practice with Gilmore.

Depending on where he goes, will define this kids career. He goes to the Packers , Saints (nope) or Texans who need a WR, he will be a key playmaker. Cleveland or the Jets, nyet! Brady makes him even better though. He's clean off the field as well. If any Team wants him it's round one, because round two he does not get past Indy, the Rams if they do not take Blackmon in Round one, or the Vikes.

I liked watching him in the Bowl game this winter against Nebraska where I think he got most valuable player even though he got thrown out of the game half way through because he would not take any of Dennard's crap and he burned Dennard pretty good as well all game long(Dennard 2nd rounder?). Stupid to get thrown out but showed he plays with passion.
DW Toys

Just an FYI, if you and anyone else find this useful, Brother Knot:

All you have to do is highlight/select the "o" or any letter or two in the middle of the word...and go up to the Color Menu at the top, there, next to the white Smiley Sace, hit the down arrow, and select Black ~ upper left hand corner ~ for your color.

Voila!! "Cocky" rolls right on through. :)

Apologies for the 4th Grade Level of conveying this, gents, but we all have different levels of Familiarity, here, and I wanted to make sure I didn't embarrass anyone by putting them in a position where they would need to ask a question that they might ~ incorrectly ~ consider "stupid!!"

Just a Trick of the Trade that I learned back in my SportingNews days, where we used to take great pleasure in cursing each other out on a daily basis!! I come from the HOOD, baby!! :D

Better? Some of the BEST posts on the entire board.

It's obvious Grid has put a lot of time and effort into the analyses of the 2012 NFL Draft prospects.

Tremendous job Grid!

You HUMBLE me, kind Sir!!
notworthy.gif

THANK you, Brother Tippett. It is a Labor of Love, and it means a great deal to me that my fellow FootBall Fanatics consider my Work worthy of remark...

Thank you, as well, for your timely and well-selected contributions to this and our many other Draft Threads, Brother Tippett!!

It's a collaborative process, indeed, and one to which you've contributed significantly!!

Grid,

You've put a lot of time into something many have gotten a lot of enjoyment from, the next Sam Adams is on me even if we don't draft Silatolu.

Sam Adams!! The Finest Beer in ALL the Land!! Woo Hoo!!
woohoo.gif

It is extremely gratifying to think that my Fellow FootBall Fanatics have enjoyed my Work, as, indeed, have I greatly enjoyed theirs ~ and yours!! Thank ye KINDLY, Brother Snake!! We'll have to see about that, this coming Autumn, perhaps, when OctoberFeast comes out!!
beer.gif

Great handle. Unfortunately, I think OTG's already eaten your Salmon of Knowledge. ;)

Mmmmm....Salmon of Knowledge....Hhhhhhhh....

82e7b7e6d5cf5eed503c43.jpg

Thank you for your gracious kindness, Brother Connecticut!! :rocker:

And I heartily agree: "Finn McCool" is an EXTREMELY cool Handle. :cool:

Sam Adams!! The Finest Beer in ALL the Land!! Woo Hoo!!
woohoo.gif

It is extremely gratifying to think that my Fellow FootBall Fanatics have enjoyed my Work, as, indeed, have I greatly enjoyed theirs ~ and yours!! Thank ye KINDLY, Brother Snake!! We'll have to see about that, this coming Autumn, perhaps, when OctoberFeast comes out!!
beer.gif

When the Fall rolls around a place by me rims the top of the glass with cinnamon and sugar before they fill it with Oktoberfest. That combined with their amazing honey hot wings and you've got a magnificent tool in the fight against anorexia.

My "Short" List

As with Quarter Backs, my evaluations of Split Ends ~ the classic term for Offensive Linemen who "split out" and are usually called "Wide Receivers" ~ focuses on attributes that are starkly divergent with the priorities of most others.

In a word: I don't give a rat's ass about "40" time.

What I care about is Release ~ Getting Out of the Blocks ~ and Short Burst ~ which can be boiled down rather nicely to the 10 Yard Split, after the Combine ~ and, above all, to Navigation ~ Route Running, Fluidity, and both Verticity + Torsion ~ my terms for the measure of crispy, snappy sharpness + explosion out'f Breaks.

And that's about it.

I'm all about Moving The Chains, baby.

SE Michael Floyd ~ 6.3/224 ~ 1st ~ 1st

539066791.jpg

Super Beast!! Michael Floyd is the Alpha Male of this Split End Class, for my money.

His Release is phenomenal, as he commands a deadly combination of Core Strength, Fluidity, and remarkable Dexterity, to win most of his Battles.

His Navigation is extraordinary, as well, as he brings a quick Short Burst, precision Route Running, and crisp Verticity to the table. And his Pedigree simply outstanding, as he has mastered Charlie Weiss' System at Notre Dame.

Great Hands, and he'll rack up the YAC like a BEAST.

One man's Possession Receiver is another man's Super Beast!! Even as a Mid 1st Rounder, Michael Floyd, in my opinion, is a Steal!!

SL Joe Adams ~ 5.11/175 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 2nd

437312342.jpg

Starter!! Joe Adams is a tiny Zoomer who displays the Release issues ~ getting out of the Blocks ~ that you would expect. And he plants too many FootBalls.

Even so, I like the kid. He brings a lot of Fluidity, and a lot of Verticity and Torsion out'f'is Breaks.

One is always going to be concerned about his durability, but he's pretty tough, and many his size are forging long, succesfull careers.

I seriously doubt that his Market Value isn't about to rocket up into the 2nd Round at the Combine, but for now, I would definitely call him a bargain: Steal!!

SE Greg Childs of Arkansas ~ 6.3/216 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 2nd

731044836.jpg

Greg Childs is an intriguing Prospect, indeed.

A torn Patellar Tendon ended his outstanding 2010 season, and he's been far less than 100% this year, as a result of which his statistics and his Market Value have collapsed, though they have rebounded substantially in the wake of his crispy Pro Day, which showed a man returned to full health.

Here we have a big, tough Chain Mover who consistently beats the Press, who Navigates the Field with remarkable Savvy, commands more Lateral Agility than most men his size, fights for the FootBall, and is adept at hitting the Catch at full speed, allowing him to send random Defenders flying, as he breaks DownField.

And he is a reliably tenacious Blocker, with occasional feats of sweet, sweet Brutality.

This is a guy who will consistently Move The Chains for you, both as a Receiver and as a Blocker, and is precisely the kind of eternally unheralded Hero who is quietly and brutally integral to the process of forging Championships.

Stud Horse Sleeper!!

SL Ty Hilton ~ 5.10/185 ~ 4th-5th ~ 1st

967667284.jpg

Beast!! I'm amazed that Ty Hilton's looking like a 4th or 5th Rounder, at this point!! Of course we're all just making our best guesses...

Ty Hilton is a little guy with poor Core Strength, so he's gonna have problems at the next level, any time you ask him to Release from the Flanker spot, much less Split End.

But as a Slot End, he should become phenomenal.

Mind you: His Route Running still needs work.

But this is a kid with a full Repertoire of dazzling skills: Short Burst, Fluidity, sharp Verticity and explosive Torsion out'f'is Breaks, and he can fly.

And he gets outstanding grades for Work Ethic, Tenacity, and even Pedigree: His parents are both major Athletes. He will master the Route Tree.

I believe ~ limited mostly to the Slot though he shall be ~ that Ty Hilton will prove to be a dynamic, explosive weapon at the next level. Super Sleeper!!

SE Marvin Jones ~ 6.2/198 ~ 5th ~ 2nd-3rd

186554537.jpg

Starter!! Marvin Jones commands a very impressive fusion of the kind of Skill Set that should consistently produce plays and Move The Chains at the next level: Fluidity, sharp Verticity in his Breaks, and very reliable Discipline in his Route Running.

He's not overly physical on the Line, but he's got enough Fluidity, Dexterity, and Savvy to get loose, and enough Short Burst to separate.

No Big Play Zoomer, but Marvin Jones is the kind of Prospect who should earn a starting gig at the next level, Move The Chains, and help you win. Sleeper!!

SL Jarius Wright ~ 5.10/176 ~ 5th-6th ~ 1st

310413022.jpg

Super Beast!!

My GOD.

~ Outstanding Diagnostic Acuity: Reads the Field like General Patton.

~ Ridiculous fusion of Athletic attributes: explosive Short Burst, impressive Fluidity, sharp Verticity and explosive Torsion out'f'is Breaks.

~ Dangerous Short Burst combined with simply nightmarish Long Speed.

~ Absolutely fearless, breaking over the Middle.

He's not very physical.

And his Hands need work.

But Jarius Wright commands an obscene fusion of Intelligence, Ferocity, and pure Athleticism.

Super Beast.

Super Sleeper.

Name Your Price.

SL Ryan Broyles ~ 5.10/189 ~ 6th ~ 4th-5th

201044192.jpg

Hobbled Beast!! Huh!! Ryan Broyles isn't getting a lot of love, but in my eyes, he's an absolutely masterfull Slot End at the next level: a deft, agile, Athlete who has very little Long Speed, but enough Short Burst, Fluidity, Verticity, and Torsion to lend his extraordinary Diagnostic Acuity ~ his Savvy at Working The Field ~ a deadly aspect.

Recovering from an Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury, as he is, he shouldn't be expected to get all the way back up to Full Operation Speed until 2013.

History should make that crystal clear.

As such, it is fully warranted that his Market Value take an enormous hit.

Even so, I believe that, when all is said and done, Ryan Broyles will prove to be one of the very best Slot Ends of this entire Draft Class. Deal!!

SL Devon Wylie ~ 5.9/185 ~ 7th ~ 1st!!

929797745.jpg

Beast!! Devon Wylie commands an intoxicating fusion of Savvy, Navigational Prowess, and both Short Burst and Long Speed!!

He's not very physical at the Line of Scrimmage ~ not shocking at his size ~ and that should limit him to Slot End at the next level.

But the Potential of this kid as a Slot End at the next level is immense. Super Sleeper!!

SE Dale Moss ~ 6.3/220 ~ UFA ~ 1st!!

dalemoss-600x399.jpg

Moon Shot!! They don't come much rawer than Dale Moss ~ he's been playing FootBall for one year!! ~ and it shows...But this guy came out of outer space to rack up 61 Catches, 949 Yards, and 6 Touch Downs in his first season ever!!!

Not shocking enough???

How about racking up a 632 in the 3 Cone and a 408 in the Short Shuttle???

If he were 5.9/175, those numbers would be phenomenal.

At 6.3/220, those numbers are preposterous.

Add a ridiculous 415 in the Vertical to that, if you please, and it's clear that ~ raw or not ~ this guy's Raw Fluidity, Lateral Agility, Core Strength and Core Power, to say nothing of his blazing Long Speed ~ that 438 in the "40" doesn't exactly break my heart!! ~ and his raw skill set offers upside beyond any Wide Out in this entire Draft.

And I repeat: 61/949/6 after dropping from the SKY.

Route Running? His words at the Pro Day make it clear that that is a place of intense focus. And let me say: 4 full years of BasketBall at College ~ plus the years of his earlier youth ~ go light years in refining the nuances of Route Running, to say nothing of shedding Corners at the Line.

Blocking?? I don't know...But that long career in BasketBall ~ he racked up impressive Rebounding Stats ~ tells me he's not exactly contact-******ant.

This is no Work Out Warrior, Ladies and Gentlemen.

This is Force of Nature.

And a focused one.

61/949/6 after dropping from the SKY...and then he produces that one-man Typhoon at his Pro Day.

Seems to me...This young man is about Business.

Super Beast Super Sleeper!!

My Shorter List!!

SE Greg Childs of Arkansas ~ 6.3/216 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 2nd

731044836.jpg

Greg Childs is an intriguing Prospect, indeed.

A torn Patellar Tendon ended his outstanding 2010 season, and he's been far less than 100% this year, as a result of which his statistics and his Market Value have collapsed, though they have rebounded substantially in the wake of his crispy Pro Day, showing a man returned to full health.

Here we have a big, tough Chain Mover who consistently beats the Press, who Navigates the Field with remarkable Savvy, commands more Lateral Agility than most men his size, fights for the FootBall, and is adept at hitting the Catch at full speed, allowing him to send random Defenders flying, as he breaks DownField.

And he is a reliably tenacious Blocker, with occasional feats of sweet, sweet Brutality.

This is a guy who will consistently Move The Chains for you, both as a Receiver and as a Blocker, and is precisely the kind of eternally unheralded Hero who is quietly and brutally integral to the process of forging Championships.

SE Marvin Jones ~ 6.2/198 ~ 5th ~ 2nd-3rd

186554537.jpg

Starter!! Marvin Jones commands a very impressive fusion of the kind of Skill Set that should consistently produce plays and Move The Chains at the next level: Fluidity, sharp Verticity in his Breaks, and very reliable Discipline in his Route Running.

He's not overly physical on the Line, but he's got enough Fluidity, Dexterity, and Savvy to get loose, and enough Short Burst to separate.

No Big Play Zoomer, but Marvin Jones is the kind of Prospect who should earn a starting gig at the next level, Move The Chains, and help you win. Sleeper!!

SL Jarius Wright ~ 5.10/176 ~ 5th-6th ~ 1st

310413022.jpg

Super Beast!!

My GOD.

~ Outstanding Diagnostic Acuity: Reads the Field like General Patton.

~ Ridiculous fusion of Athletic attributes: explosive Short Burst, impressive Fluidity, sharp Verticity and explosive Torsion out'f'is Breaks.

~ Dangerous Short Burst combined with simply nightmarish Long Speed.

~ Absolutely fearless, breaking over the Middle.

He's not very physical.

And his Hands need work.

But Jarius Wright commands an obscene fusion of Intelligence, Ferocity, and pure Athleticism.

Super Beast.

Super Sleeper.

Name Your Price.

SE Dale Moss ~ 6.3/220 ~ UFA ~ 1st!!

dalemoss-600x399.jpg

Moon Shot!! They don't come much rawer than Dale Moss ~ he's been playing FootBall for one year!! ~ and it shows...But this guy came out of outer space to rack up 61 Catches, 949 Yards, and 6 Touch Downs in his first season ever!!!

Not shocking enough???

How about racking up a 632 in the 3 Cone and a 408 in the Short Shuttle???

If he were 5.9/175, those numbers would be phenomenal.

At 6.3/220, those numbers are preposterous.

Add a ridiculous 415 in the Vertical to that, if you please, and it's clear that ~ raw or not ~ this guy's Raw Fluidity, Lateral Agility, Core Strength and Core Power, to say nothing of his blazing Long Speed ~ that 438 in the "40" doesn't exactly break my heart!! ~ and his raw skill set offers upside beyond any Wide Out in this entire Draft.

And I repeat: 61/949/6 after dropping from the SKY.

Route Running? His words at the Pro Day make it clear that that is a place of intense focus. And let me say: 4 full years of BasketBall at College ~ plus the years of his earlier youth ~ go light years in refining the nuances of Route Running, to say nothing of shedding Corners at the Line.

Blocking?? I don't know...But that long career in BasketBall ~ he racked up impressive Rebounding Stats ~ tells me he's not exactly contact-******ant.

This is no Work Out Warrior, Ladies and Gentlemen.

This is Force of Nature.

And a focused one.

61/949/6 after dropping from the SKY...and then he produces that one-man Typhoon at his Pro Day.

Seems to me...This young man is about Business.

Super Beast Super Sleeper!!

Notes

1 ~ I prize Processing Speed + Route Running above all, and place Fluidity, Torsion, Verticity, Burst, Lateral Agility, and Core Strength and Power all above "40" Time, so my views will diverge with the vast majority!!

2 ~ My equally radical notion that Flex Ends and Wing Backs offer revolutionary possibilities means that I want to see their roles expand at the direct cost of Slot Ends. This is a rather awful shame, because this Draft Class is replete with exceptional Slot End Prospects at tremendous discounts!!

3 ~ Were Wes Welker not the greatest Slot End who ever walked this Earth, and a guy who exudes all the very finest and greatest attributes of The Patriot Way, I would cut him lose, because of this. As it is, I would offer him the choice between negotiating his own Sign + Trade or accepting a two year $21 Million contract with every penny guaranteed. That's an unusual approach, but the admiration, gratitude, and affection he has earned around here fully warrants it. Of course, most will consider it blasphemy that I'm talking about letting him go ~ or extending at a greatly reduced rate ~ in 2 years, anyway, and I can fully appreciate that: There is NO Soul, in ALL of New EngLand, who wanted him more, back in 2007, or who had higher expectations of him. And I will further annoy and nauseate anyone reading this by reminding y'all that it was I ~ and possibly I, alone ~ who predicted he'd be back by Opening Day, 2010...as indeed, he was. I WORSHIP this guy...And that is the only reason I'm talking about keeping him, at his age, for his Market Value, at a position that I would intend to relegate to Sub Packs, starting in 2014!! Blasphemy!! :D

4 ~ There are 6 Set positions ~ 5 Grizzlies and 1 QuarterBack ~ and 5 Flex positions on Offense. Given my druthers, all 5 of those Flex positions would be dangerous in both the Running AND in the Passing Games. I have NO interest in Full Backs, Power Backs, and Tight Ends who can't catch the ball and make plays with it, and I have limitted interest in Wide Outs who either can't or won't Block, though a guy who's Route Running is adept enough to consistently demand Double Teams warrants consideration...The tactical advantage of unpredictability...is VAST.

5 ~ As such, my main targets are not Slot Ends ~ as explained ~ or Flanker Ends ~ who tend to be smaller as well, and are lined up OFF the Line for a reason, and it ain't because they're tenacious Blockers. My targets are big, tall, tenacious Split Ends who run crispy Routes and command all those other attributes I referenced, up top.

6 ~ Even so, I PRAYED for us to seal the deal on Brandon Lloyd. He's no shrimp, in any case.

7 ~ The ability to Rapidly Read + React to the deliberately deceitfull changes that D's implement after the snap ~ Processing Speed, Ladies + Gentlemen!! ~ and to redirect one's assignment, based on our intensive, exhausting, and hideously complex training...and, furthermore, to do so correctly, reliably, decisively...and in a MICRO second...is a daunting challenge, indeed: One that accomplished veterans like Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, and Chad Johnson have all found utterly overwhelming.

8 ~ As such, Brandon Lloyd's proven ability to FLOURISH in this System...has a Seismic Level potential Impact that I strongly suspect about the vast majority of us don't fully grasp at this point. The ability to offer a TRUE Horizontal Threat to the Defense ~ yes, Horizontal ~ is something that we haven't had in two long years, ever since Randy Moss evaporated. Therefore, there is NO precedent of our having that true Horizontal Threat combined with our devastating Tight Ends and Wes Welker tearing up the middle of the field!! Think of the consequences of THAT, if you will!! :eek:

I can promise you: Tom Brady has been.

9 ~ I've always been a big fan of developing Day 3 and UFA Wide Out Talent: Not only does it seem that you're almost as likely to find Top Shelf Talent down the line, like that, the fact that the incubation periods for Wide Outs is usually a painfully slow process compels me to discount their Market Value in my assessments in the first place.

10 ~ As such, I won't be recommending Michael Floyd, much as I absolutely love this guy's Game.

11 ~ I will not rule out Slot Ends, but I will probably pass on Joe Adams and Ty Hilton, because I see even better Values, later on, as I assess them.

12 ~ Keeping with Slot Ends, I will take a long look at both Jarius Wright ~ who I a freaking NUTS about!! ~ and Devon Wylie. And I like Ryan Broyles as an eminently Stashable IR guy who could really kick it up starting in 2013.

13 ~ Greg Childs intrigues me, if the price is right, as a reemerging Split End who likes to Block.

14 ~ There's something about Marvin Jones, isn't there?? I think we have to have him, don't you??

15 ~ And I ~ um ~ probably made myself pretty clear about Dale Moss. :p

When all is said and done, he could very well prove to be the best of them all.

I love this even more than the DT short list, somehow! We are on the same page, Brother Grid.

Trolling for some of the more insightfull commentary that I haven't had time to comment on, over the last few months. Maine Man's first up, and then probably Jay52 and others...

This is about a Vet, not a Prospect, but as Team Building is a concept that obviously overlaps between Free Agency and The Draft, I thought it'd be appropriate to include this...

Maine Man on Braylon Edwards ~ February 19th

* Responding to comments about "dropsies" *

"Overstated, I think,and primarily based on his 2008 season in which he was attempting to field passes from that elite, HoF QB triumvirate of Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn and Ken Dorsey (all of whom, I firmly believe, were getting hammered in the locker room before the start of every game). He also wasn't great this season coming off an injury (but still way better than 2008).

Most seasons, he's been over 50%, which is a very reasonable catch rate for a guy who is used so frequently for deep routes. Sure, he drops a few - everybody does. But, as we witnessed watching the Jets a couple times in 2010, he makes Manningham-like grabs on a pretty regular basis, too.

If BB called him up and offered him a Hayneworth-type deal, I think he'd jump on it and report to OTAs in the best shape he's ever been in.

The guy is only 29 - tall, strong, wily. Seems to me he'd be worth the phone call. Plus, there's the bonus effect of shocking the crap out of most everyone."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/897763-mike-wallace-target-pats-deep-threat-page19.html#post2966267

Maine Man on Braylon Edwards ~ February 20th

"Why not?

He's tall, strong, relatively young (younger than Lloyd) but experienced, knows how to get open, especially along the edges and deep. He's made numerous spectacular plays when focused and, as I said, his catch rate (48%) is about average for a guy who's so often used as a deep threat. He may have some attitude issues, but I can't imagine they'd be any worse than Haynesworth's or Moss'.

It probably takes an offer of only a million or so to get him into camp (along with a few other guys) to see what he's got - and the Pats don't even owe him that mil if he doesn't make the roster."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/897763-mike-wallace-target-pats-deep-threat-page21.html#post2966663

Maine Man on Braylon Edwards ~ February 21st

"Just to be clear, I'm NOT advocating for Edwards instead of Lloyd or Wallace or even Reggie Wayne. I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of reasons to think he could be a viable OTA/Camp participant in addition to one of these other guys.

My concern with him is NOT his previous "dropsies", but that, like Chad Whatever, Edwards may have a fairly steep hill to climb in making the transition from what has probably been mostly a "sandlot ball" experience to a highly-regimented option-read/timing route scheme. His attitude may play into this in that it raises questions about his self-discipline and the extent of his effort to study/learn.

Now, I don't know that there actually is a specific "McDaniels System" per se. However, it seems reasonable to infer that his offensive schemes (picked up from Weis and BB, who probably picked the concept up from Bill Walsh) include extensive option-read routes for the receivers, the success of which are equally dependent on the QB, by the way. What Lloyd has going for him, really, is that he seems to already be able to handle this sort of thing. Same might be said for Reggie Wayne and his experience in Peyton Manning's offense.

Technically, there might well be room on the 80-man off-season roster for all three of them, if the Pats (and these guys) were wiling to go there."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/897763-mike-wallace-target-pats-deep-threat-page21.html#post2966945

An outstanding Post from Maine Man, regarding where our Passing Attack has been...and where it might go:

Maine Man on our Passing Attack ~ 02/15/12

""Ocho" wasn't poor this season at all.

IMHO, he was brought in to work outside the numbers along with Branch, primarily because, in 2010, Branch was the only guy who could work the sideline routes consistently well (short and intermediate, as well as - occasionally - deep). Welker worked the edges every so often, but Ahern and Gronk really hadn't yet developed any consistency on those routes. That wasn't enough against the Jets in the playoff game because they were able to keep Branch in check, AND (as few defenses could) flood the middle of the field with able defenders while simultaneously getting decent push from 3-4 rushers.

Sure, it took a while in the beginning for "Ocho" to "learn the system/synch-up with Brady. Not at all unexpected (or shouldn't have been). Of the three dozen or so WRs that BB has acquired during his tenure with the Pats, only 9 produced more yardage in their first year with the Pats than Ocho did (Gaffney produced about half as much). By the time Ocho "caught on" (which was much earlier, IMHO, than most folks seem to think), his role - working the edges and occasionally deep (his targets, caught or not, actually averaged several yards deeper than anyone else on the team) - and the unparalleled success of the Welker/Gronk/Ahern attack over the middle both conspired against him. His role in the passing attack, gradually diminished in importance as did Branch's role, eventually.

Both guys were still getting open often enough outside the numbers, but the ball just wasn't going there very often (as it wasn't to Woody when he got open for dump-offs in the flat). And, why would it? There were three guys out there all creating mismatches in coverage and all catching better than 70% of whatever came their way.

But both Branch and Ocho got in some pretty good blocks when they weren't being targeted that helped Welker, Gronk and Ahern accumulate YAC. They totaled 1907 YAC - just the three of them - out of 5295 total passing yards, and all three were in the TOP 9 in the NFL in YAC. For perspective, the Saints had three guys in the top 17 in YAC (totaled some 300 fewer yds) and two of them were RBs. The Chargers were the only other team with more than one pass catcher in the top 20 in YAC.

That said, I'm not at all sure that what transpired with the passing attack and the offensive scheme this season - in terms of play-design, personnel/play-package sets, Brady's read progressions and cheking out of (or into) running plays - has any bearing whatsoever on what we'll see in 2012. It depends on where BB, Brady and Josh want to take it (and, to some extent, of their projections for the development of Ridley and Vereen WRT catching out of the backfield as well as running). It could very well turn out that the 2012 scheme will include a greater emphasis on running and/or short-intermediate sideline routes. If the latter, the Pats could do much worse than Branch and Ocho for that job, though Reggie Wayne might fit well as a replacement for one or the other of them and might be slightly more of a deep threat.

However, these guys ARE all older and without any long term upside. Branch turns 33 in July; Ocho turned 34 in early January, Wayne will turn 35 by mid-season 2012. Even Brandon Lloyd will turn 31 in July (actually just two months later than Welker). I can't imagine that the Pats brain trust would pass on any reasonable opportunity to at least try to add some youth with development potential on draft day - someone to understudy the masters of the outside game while they can still play at all."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/898960-prediction-chad-johnson-will-still-here-next-year-page4.html#post2964079

Sorry, but I stopped reading the rest after that first line.

jester.gif

Perfectly understandable, my friend...But you do yourself a disservice, and I hope you'll reconsider.

I get smarter every time I read one of Brother Maine's soliloquies. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents