* 2012 Draft Wide Receivers *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
4th in a Series

Good Evening, Ladies and Gents...

I humbly and quietly offer this Thread ~ the 4th of many, as I'll be circumnavigating the entire Roster ~ to my Fellow Patriots Fans ~ KoolAid Soaked Homers + Bile Soaked Haters, alike!! :D ~ as a Gathering Place ~ a common reference ~ for Wide Receiver Prospects.

Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State ~ 6.1/216

638733095.jpg

What I like most about Justin Blackmon is that he's not afraid to get dirty.

Games ~ and Championships ~ are won by guys who are consistently willing to get physical, whether it's wrestling free from a Corner at the Line of Scrimmage, or blocking DownField.

And Blackmon gets good grades in both aspects of the Game.

As a Navigator, he boasts excellent Lateral Agility and Fluidity, consistently breaking free.

He doesn't have remarkable Long Speed, but more than makes up for it with Technique and Tenacity.

With or without the ball, Justin Blackmon Moves The Chains.

He's considered one of the top Split Ends in the Draft, and that would seem to be justified.

Stud Horse!!

Alshon Jeffery of South Carolina ~ 6.4/228

785049171.jpg

Alshon Jeffery generally gets a good Burst off the Line.

He gets mixed reviews on his Navigational Skills, however.

DownField, his Strength and Lateral Agility are deadly dangerous.

Inconsistent grades on Blocking, however.

Alshon Jeffery is an excellent Prospect, but in my opinion his glutinous numbers in Steve Spurrier's System have pumped up his Market Value far beyond its justification. He's generally considered a 1st Rounder, and, by many, a Top 10 Prospect. I think he deserves a probable starting grade, but nothing anywhere near that lofty.

OverRated!!

Michael Floyd of Notre Dame ~ 6.3/224

135712584.jpg

Michael Floyd needs some work, yet he's got a pretty intriguing Split End Skill Set.

His Burst off the Line is mediocre, though he employs his Strength to great advantage.

His Navigational Skills are superior but worrisome, as he boasts outstanding Fluidity and Lateral Agility, but a disturbing lack of discipline in his Routes.

His Blocking, too, is inconsistent.

All in all, I get a picture of a guy with Elite UpSide, but extremely dubious Work Ethic.

OverRated!!

Nick Toon of Wisconsin ~ 6.2/220

637958987.jpg

Nick Toon boasts a tremendous fusion of Burst, Fluidity, Lateral Agility, and Navigational Prowess.

He runs crispy Routes and plays a very physical game, though he needs work as a Blocker.

He brings a great deal of Savvy to the table, and while he doesn't have remarkable Long Speed, he has a terrific understanding of the mental aspects of the Game, and outstanding Diagnostic Acuity.

His Market Value is currently in the 1st or 2nd Round, and that is entirely justified.

Stud Horse!!

Jermaine Kearse of Washington ~ 6.1/208

732752051.jpg

I've got some concerns about Jermaine Kearse.

He gets dubious reviews for his Burst off the Line, showing a lack of tenacity, and sometimes actually running around Defenders and away from his Route.

He's got got decent Long Speed, but his Lateral Agility and Fluidity both seem to be lacking, and he doesn't appear to be a disciplined Route runner.

I'm seeing Red Flags left and right, here, yet Kearse currently boasts a 3rd or 4th Round Market Value.

OverRated!!

Jeff Fuller of Texas A&M ~ 6.3/221

235547646.jpg

Jeff Fuller is a very intriguing prospect.

He has an inconsistent Burst off the Line, which of grave concern.

But he isn't shy about using his size to advantage in working his way past the Defender, and runs disciplined Routes. And he boasts superior Core Strength, Fluidity, and Lateral Agility.

He's got great Size and excellent Instincts, as well.

He has absolutely no problem sticking his head in there and Blocking, and he's good at it.

He's had a rough Senior season, however, after a break out year as a Junior.

He's currently looking at a 4th or 5th Round Market Value, having fallen precipitously since this Spring.

Frankly, I consider that to be a considerable overreaction, as he brings a lot to the table. He's got the natural Core Strength to overcome his problems getting out of the gate, and if he manages to do so, his upside is exceptional.

Sleeper!!

*** More in 10 Minutes!! ***

I think Floyd would fit fine in this offense. This offense is more of a Charlie Weiss based O than a Josh McD based O. Though BoB runs few MCD based plays.

Floyd played for Weiss for 2 years. If he was in the 2nd round (early), I would trade up and get .him. I love his size.
My only beef with him is that he is an idiot

DeVier Posey of Ohio State ~ 6.1/210

679338272.jpg

DeVier Posey doesn't get off the line very effectively, and really needs to work on his Core Strength.

His Route Running needs a great deal of work, as well. He's a Drifter.

And his Hands are awful, and he's a notorious dropper of Passes.

He does have some Athleticism and Instincts, but is raw, undisciplined, and inconsistent.

I see him as a Reserve, yet his current Market Value is the 4th to 5th Round range.

OverRated!!

Ryan Broyles of Oklahoma ~ 5.10/189

664768040.jpg

Ryan Broyles will be a Project, of course, having recently torn his Anterior Cruciate Ligament.

Broyles is a smaller guy who struggles to get off the blocks.

He's clearly destined for Slot End duty, and maybe a few looks at Flanker.

And as that goes, however, he could be exceptional: Quick, Shifty, and Instinctive, he navigates the field with outstanding dexterity. This guy will consistently Move The Chains for you.

Because of the ACL, his Market Value has plummeted to the 5th to 6th Round range. And anyone in touch with Reality knows that you can pretty much write off 2012 as a Reconditioning Year. But at the end of the process, I believe the team that gets him will have a dynamic Slot Receiver, and one of the great Steals of this Draft.

Super Sleeper!!

Ty Hilton of Florida InterNational ~ 5.10/185

257437771.jpg

Ty Hilton is a genuinely frightening Threat.

To be sure, there's no way in HELL you want to line him up at Split End: He simply lacks the bulk.

But as a Slot End ~ and as an occasional Flanker ~ he brings an harrowing combination of Fludity, Instincts, Lateral Agility, and scary Deep Speed to the table.

He's still a bit raw running Routes, but the natural Skill Set and the outstanding Work Ethic is clearly there to develop his considerable skills to become nothing less than an Elite Level Slot End.

His Stock's been on the rise, this year, yet it seems that he's still looking at the 4th or 5th Round, which is insane.

Super Sleeper Beast!!

Greg Childs of Arkansas ~ 6.3/216

731044836.jpg

Greg Childs is an intriguing Prospect, indeed.

A torn Patellar Tendon ended his outstanding 2010 season, and he's been far less than 100% this year, as a result of which his statistics and his Market Value have collapsed.

Yet here we have a big, tough Chain Mover who consistently beats the Press, who Navigates the Field with remarkable Savvy, commands more Lateral Agility than most men his size, fights for the FootBall, and is adept at hitting the Catch at full speed, allowing him to send random Defenders flying, as he breaks DownField.

And he is a reliably tenacious Blocker, with occasional feats of sweet, sweet Brutality.

Because of his dramatic statistical drop off, this year, Greg Childs has seen his Market Value plummet all the way down to the 6th or 7th Round.

I find that both astonishing and exhilarating.

This is a guy who will consistently Move The Chains for you, both as a Receiver and as a Blocker, and is precisely the kind of eternally unheralded Hero who is quietly and brutally integral to the process of forging Championships.

Stud Horse Sleeper!!

Juron Criner of Arizona ~ 6.4/216

694117874.jpg

Juron Criner brings an intriguing fusion of Power, Strength, and Agility to the position.

He's tough to contain in Press Coverage.

His Long Speed is pedestrian, but his Short Speed is remarkable: He's Quick and Crispy, in and out'f'is Breaks, and while his Fluidity isn't exceptional, his Ricochet is outstanding.

He's a decent Blocker, though he's got the potential to be much more.

Criner's current Market Value appears to be in the 6th or 7th Round, and I find that startling: This is a guy with the Skill Set to consistently beat Press, make plays, and Move The Chains. Most will call that a Possession Receiver.

Fine by me.

What I call him is a Chain Mover who's integral to the process of winning games and competing for Championships.

Each to their own.

Stud Horse Sleeper!!

Notes

1 ~ Ty Hilton ~ yes, I know his name's not REALLY "Ty"!! :D ~ is the only guy I could bring myself to give the Beast label to, so far. My fellow Draft Freaks will know his name, of course, but despite a remarkable rise, this year, he still seems to be floating around in the 3rd to 5th Round range, which I find astonishing...Seems to me to be a classic case of Small School Discount. He's my favorite Slot End in the entire Draft, at this juncture.

2 ~ Justin Criner and Greg Childs are of particular interest to me. Possession Receivers aren't sexy, but they win Games and Championships. And these guys have 6th or 7th Round Market Values. If we can pick up those Picks, I'd love to snatch these guys.

3 ~ There're several other intriguing players out there, but I prefer, as always, to wait until I've heard from NFL Draft Scout AND National FootBall Post, before I compare the notes they've derived from Coach's Tape.

I watched the Nebraska - Iowa game yesterday and wasn't impressed with Iowa's Marvin McNutt. I thought he had a tough time beating press coverage against Nebraska's physical cornerbacks.

Last edited:
For all the problems he caused, yeah.

I added him to my hated Buckeye list
-Holmes
-Some TE from 2005. Cost us two games.
-Ray Hall. Thanks dumb*** for tackling Ted Ginn low on his ankles and taking him out for the game.
-TP aka Idiot QB.
-Posey.

Ryan Broyles of Oklahoma ~ 5.10/189

664768040.jpg

Ryan Broyles will be a Project, of course, having recently torn his Anterior Cruciate Ligament.

Broyles is a smaller guy who struggles to get off the blocks.

He's clearly destined for Slot End duty, and maybe a few looks at Flanker.

And as that goes, however, he could be exceptional: Quick, Shifty, and Instinctive, he navigates the field with outstanding dexterity. This guy will consistently Move The Chains for you.

Because of the ACL, his Market Value has plummeted to the 5th to 6th Round range. And anyone in touch with Reality knows that you can pretty much write off 2012 as a Reconditioning Year. But at the end of the process, I believe the team that gets him will have a dynamic Slot Receiver, and one of the great Steals of this Draft.

Super Sleeper!!

I love it, link him up with Welker's rehab guys and he'll be off to a great start.

I know our defense sucks, but LSU's Rueben Randle caught everything yesterday. I think if he had competent QB play all his career he could be a first rounder

I know our defense sucks, but LSU's Rueben Randle caught everything yesterday. I think if he had competent QB play all his career he could be a first rounder

Nice catch, Brother Hog. :cool:

Randle certainly intrigues me.

Indeed, I think I mentioned him before, but it may've been to Brother Mayo.

He's one of the guys I'm holding off on, for now...

Alabama completely shut down Randle. He also had poor games against Oreon and Ole Miss (single reception or under 20 yards). While he has some talent, I don't really like him for our offense.

I haven't yet found a WR I really like (at least in terms of value). If draft position were no concern, then I'd go with Floyd (given that his attitude/work ethic improves). Love his skillset. Hilton I do like a lot, and Jarius Wright as well. Patrick Edwards reminds me a bit of Branch.

Dwight Jones reportedly has some attitude issues, or else I'd be more interested in him as a larger receiver who still has some good quickness.

I do think we need to add outside receiver talent. I just haven't figured out who is the best candidate for that role.

I haven't yet found a WR I really like (at least in terms of value). If draft position were no concern, then I'd go with Floyd (given that his attitude/work ethic improves). Love his skillset. Hilton I do like a lot, and Jarius Wright as well. Patrick Edwards reminds me a bit of Branch.

Dwight Jones reportedly has some attitude issues, or else I'd be more interested in him as a larger receiver who still has some good quickness.

I do think we need to add outside receiver talent. I just haven't figured out who is the best candidate for that role.

Good stuff, Brother Reamer. :cool:

I have had a very similar perspective on this year's crop of Wide Outs ~ VERY difficult to find a player I like at the Market Value I like ~ and only Criner and Childs, at this point, meet that Confluence...and then, only the 6th or 7th Round, with the question marks you'd expect, there...

I do like Hilton a great deal, but am not currently inclined to pull the trigger, for the obvious reasons, they being Welker and Edelman.

I have had a very similar perspective on this year's crop of Wide Outs ~ VERY difficult to find a player I like at the Market Value I like ~ and only Criner and Childs, at this point, meet that Confluence...and then, only the 6th or 7th Round, with the question marks you'd expect, there...

I do like Hilton a great deal, but am not currently inclined to pull the trigger, for the obvious reasons, they being Welker and Edelman.

Which one of these will/have good 40s time ?

Whoops!! :eek:

Sorry to disappoint you, my esteemed Brother Daigle, but you could NOT find a soul who knows LESS nor CARES less about "40" times than I!! :rofl:

...Or, to put it another way: NEITHER!! :rocker:

Now, if you want to talk about Ten Yard Splits...:cool:

Great work as always OTG. But, i have to respectfully disagree with you on Alshon Jeffery. I think the guy is a beast and has really been hurt by the South Carolina offense this year. I will admit he hasn't lived up to the expectations of last years monster numbers but I don't think it is all his fault. The passing game at South Carolina this year has been extremely inconsistent and they simply haven't targeted him enough. While he may not have elite explosion or athletecism, he doesn't need it. With his size and body control he has a natural ability to gain seperation and he has some of, if not the best hands in college football. You put it near him and he will find a way to catch it. I think he would be an amazing weapon for Brady, where he doesn't need to throw a perfect pass because Jeffery's catch radius is so big.

I think he is going to slide leading up to the draft because of the disapointing production this year and I expect him to run slow, but if he is available at any of the Pats picks I wouldn't hesitate to take him. I think he is only scratching the surface of his potential, and while the Calvin Johnson comparisons are rediculous, I think he will be a legit #1 WR in the NFL. I think NEPatriotsDraft said it best in one of their write ups about Jeffery, saying "Jeffrey is an NFL receiver on a college offense."

On the other WR's, I love Criner and have had him in my last few mocks. I started with him in the 4th round but quickly had to move him into the 3rd with his strong performances this year and rising stock. I think on draft day he could move himself all the way into the mid 2nd round. What I like about him is he is a possession reciever that has big play ability. Sure everyone want's that deep threat and big play guy, but I also want that guy to be able to contribute regularly, and I think that guy could be Criner.

The other "Stud Horse Sleeper" I'm really intruiged by is Greg Childs. I loved his tape last year and he really showed a natural ability to gain seperation. This year I think its been obvious that he has been affected by last years injury and I haven't been able to see much of his play, simply because he hasn't produced very much this year. I think the talent is still there though and he has the size you look for in a WR. With his lack of production and injury history I agree he is likely a late round, possible UDFA, but definitly worth the risk.

The other guy I was really interested in coming into the season was Jeff Fuller, who has been a complete disapointment. Like I said in another thread, I would still take a chance on him, but not before the 4th round. He's got great size and athletecism, but the big red flag for me this year has been effort. The games I've watched this year I was really disapointed with his effort, whether its giving up after running his initial route or giving up if the ball isn't thrown to him well. There were a few times this year where he has the chance to break up an interception on an underthrown pass to him but he made no attempt. He didn't adjust, didn't attack the ball and just watched the DB catch it and take it the other way. That along with his dispointing production really have me concerned. But based on last years tape I would consider him in the later rounds.

Once again great work OTG and I can't wait for the next installment.

Whoops!! :eek:

Sorry to disappoint you, my esteemed Brother Daigle, but you could NOT find a soul who knows LESS nor CARES less about "40" times than I!! :rofl:

I still feel we could use someone over the top guy with some blazing speed. Speed is quite important since it gets you alot for free. There are certainly other things important but speed is always nice. We can of course bring in 3-4 4.5 guys and put em with Branch et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe