PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Wide Receivers *

Status
Not open for further replies.
no offense but its hard to take you seriously when you call him "jeffries." its jeffery.

anyway he's gained a little weight. alshon = mike williams

also i have seen Sanu play in person 2 times and he is a beast fwiw. I doubt he will fall very far though.

i like aj jenkins (ill), marvin jones (cal), dj woods (uc), criner (az), and derek moye (psu) from a value standpoint

This Jones guy did score some record in balls caught I think this year. Thought he wasnt declaring since he seemed quite good the little I saw of UCLA@USC.

Jeffries is an interesting case. Again another WR with talent who is stuck with no college QB to throw to him. He has the size and speed to be a great WR, but the lack of a decent QB to get him the ball, and the emergence (until his knee blew up) of Lattimore, as really hidden him.

I tried to watch him the other day, and he did make a few plays, but sometimes he seems disinterested. IF, he is motivated, he could be an absolute beast, OR on the other hand, he could eat his way out of the league.

Of course, maybe he looked disinterested last week, because I just found out he broke his hand....
South Carolina's Alshon Jeffrey Suffers Broken Hand

no offense but its hard to take you seriously when you call him "jeffries." its jeffery.

No offense, but it's hard to take you seriously when you can't even grasp simple concepts like capitalizing the beginnings of your sentences. :rolleyes:

If you're gonna play Grammar Nazi, you might first want to construct your own posts in a way that don't look like those of a 4 year old. ;)

Two guys from lesser D1 schools who seem interesting are Kendall Wright and Patrick Edwards.

Edwards has taken the Wes Welker route to become Houston's top receiver (he was a walk-on at Houston the way Welker was for Texas Tech). And all he's done is put up 1000+ yard seasons 3 years straight. The difference is that Edwards has a lot of game speed in comparison to Welker. Edwards has done kick returns and Punt returns for Houston.

Kendall Wright plays for Baylor and is another small receiver with speed. As well as being a WR, Wright has been used as a RB and a WildCat QB. Wright has been Baylor's leading receiver over the last 4 years and has set records for Baylor. Wright has not really been used for kick returns (1) or punt returns (6).

Wright is currently listed as the 4th best receiver by NFLDraft Scout (excluding Juniors). Edwards is listed as the 33rd best receiver by NFLDraftScout. Edwards is definitely a sleeper pick and I think might have a lower risk and higher reward potential. Especially since he has both kick return and punt return ability.

Very intriguing find, with Patrick Edwards, there, Bro. :cool:

That wild-@$$ Planet Hoosten attack keeps giving me flashbacks to Warren Moon and Planet Hoosten's classic Run and Shoot, back in the day...Indeed, I imagine that Brother Ted, when he misidentified Jeffery, was channeling none other than Haywood Jefferies, himself!! In fact, I usually have to check myself, when I'm printing something about Jeffery, and make a conscience effort NOT to type "Jefferies"!! :eek:

Good eye on Kendall Wright, too. I don't wish to spend Draft Capital on Slot End, but if I did, Kendall Wright would be right near the top of my list.

No offense, but it's hard to take you seriously when you can't even grasp simple concepts like capitalizing the beginnings of your sentences. :rolleyes:

If you're gonna play Grammar Nazi, you might first want to construct your own posts in a way that don't look like those of a 4 year old. ;)

HomeytheClown.gif

Oh SNAP!___

This Jones guy did score some record in balls caught I think this year. Thought he wasnt declaring since he seemed quite good the little I saw of UCLA@USC.

Marvin Jones is a senior wide receiver for the Cal Golden Bears. He will enter the draft. I think you're confusing him with USC's Robert Woods. He broke the Pac-12 single season record for catches with 111. Woods is a true sophomore, so he won't be draft eligbile until 2013.

Marvin Jones is way under the radar, but he's a great football player. Pretty crisp routes, good hands, competes hard. Bigger than most of our receivers, but has the agility to fit into the scheme. Good 3rd, 4th round pick. His value is probably 4th or later, but I would take him in the 3rd. Not a burner, but a very reliable guy with the size and hands to win the jump ball.

Marvin Jones is way under the radar, but he's a great football player. Pretty crisp routes, good hands, competes hard. Bigger than most of our receivers, but has the agility to fit into the scheme. Good 3rd, 4th round pick. His value is probably 4th or later, but I would take him in the 3rd. Not a burner, but a very reliable guy with the size and hands to win the jump ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boy0tkwcv-A

Last edited:
No huge names but the B1G title game will have a few WR prospects on each side. Toon, Aberderis, Cunningham, and Martin.

If anyone knows which of these WR has played in a (relatively) pro style offense please let me know. The Arkansas WR do, I don't know about the other college teams. I can't take any more Taylor Price types who come from running offenses and two years later still don't seem to get it.

My first crieria this year is "pro style offense" or some indication the player has a great feel for defenses. I know Childs isn't what he was before his injury but he could be a nice mid round pick if his speed is acceptable given his size and coming from Arkansas.

Most college teams don't run the ball any more. Ohio was the exception, not the rule. Most use spread offenses where it's easy for the wr's to get off of the LOS and have simple routes with very few offensive plays. That's the problem. They don't learn to read defenses. They come to New England and have to read what the defense is doing. Many have trouble doing it. We won't know until the combine. But, we know Belichick likes the three cone drill. I look for Kendall Wright and Joe Adams to put up good numbers there.

Arkansas' other guy is the one I want - Joe Adams. He's Branch MKII. Really interested to see his workout times from the Combine, because I'd hazard a guess his 3-cone and the likes will be terrific.

Key Factors at the Position:

Short shuttles are key. Deion Branch's 3.76 is the second fastest in Combine history. Wes Welker ran a 4.01 at his Pro Day, Julian Edelman a 3.96: both are well above average for any position, much less WR. Jackson ran a 4.03. Ocho fits the criteria as well. Taylor Price is a little anomalous with his 4.34: however that is still above-average for the position, and he did well on the other drills to make up for it. Overall, while there is not really a discernable cutoff point, having a better short shuttle time could definitely result in increased interest from the Patriots.

A clearer cut-off is with the vert jump. Only Sam (a fifth round flyer), Slater (a gunner), and Welker (a non-drafted case) had verticals under 35 inches. Everyone else showed the explosion in their jumps requisite of the Pats. This may, funnily enough, be a better means of measuring Patriot receivers than the typically considered short shuttle. It certainly, at the very least, bears watching as a cut off.

From someone I know.

Bumping for obvious reasons.

Most college teams don't run the ball any more. Ohio was the exception, not the rule. Most use spread offenses where it's easy for the wr's to get off of the LOS and have simple routes with very few offensive plays. That's the problem.
I know OU was an exception, my point was I don't want more Chad Jacksons either. Give me a player with solid athleticism from a complex (for college) passing offense. Not some stud from a simple offense.

Depressing news regarding Tate. I'm starting to think the only way to get a good receiver is to trade for one. I'm the last person who knows how to draft a Wr out of the 1st round but BB isn't far behind.

Let's just move up and grab Blackmon and call it a day.;) Seriously though, it's apparent they need to resign Welker and Branch because I just don't see them drafting someone to replace them anytime soon.

Depressing news regarding Tate. I'm starting to think the only way to get a good receiver is to trade for one. I'm the last person who knows how to draft a Wr out of the 1st round but BB isn't far behind.

Let's just move up and grab Blackmon and call it a day.;) Seriously though, it's apparent they need to resign Welker and Branch because I just don't see them drafting someone to replace them anytime soon.

Heh!! I tend to agree: God LOVE Coach B, but he hasn't a CLUE as to how to draft Wide Outs...

My admiration ~ and that of a few others, here ~ is already on the record, in this Thread, regarding Greg Childs. He's a Day 3 option that would seem to offer TREMENDOUS upside for minimal risk.

I've always maintained that you can consistently pick up exceptional Wide Outs on Day 3, or Beyond.

From my perspective, it all boils down to Processing Speed: We've all watched, with frustration and anger, as Wide Out after Wide Out with excellent resumes and/or potential has flamed out, here...

I really get the strong sense that if we can discern ~ via Tape, via Test, or via Interview ~ who the guys are who can best Rapidly Read + React...we will start PRODUCING NFL caliber Wide Outs, rather than BURN them!! :eek:

Random fact: Of the WRs to have at least 700 receiving yards with Brady in the last decade, only Givens and Patten did not have a 1,000 receiving yard season in college. Moss did. Welker did. Branch did. Troy Brown did (I believe). Even Reche Caldwell did.

On the other hand, Tate, Price, Jackson, Bethel Johnson, and even Chad Johnson and Joey Galloway all failed to reach 1,000 yards.

Summary: College production might matter more than we think, even regardless of draft status, and even whether the Pats were their first team or not. Count me off the Joe Adams bandwagon (813), and Nick Toon as well (805).

Random fact: Of the WRs to have at least 700 receiving yards with Brady in the last decade, only Givens and Patten did not have a 1,000 receiving yard season in college. Moss did. Welker did. Branch did. Troy Brown did (I believe). Even Reche Caldwell did.

On the other hand, Tate, Price, Jackson, Bethel Johnson, and even Chad Johnson and Joey Galloway all failed to reach 1,000 yards.

Summary: College production might matter more than we think, even regardless of draft status, and even whether the Pats were their first team or not. Count me off the Joe Adams bandwagon (813), and Nick Toon as well (805).

:eek:

Holy SHEEP DIP, Batman!! :eek:

That is truly eye opening STUFF, Brother Sciz!! :rocker:

I like Keyshawn Martin from MSU. Projected 7th rounder. 5'10 190 lbs. Runs all routes. Returns punts.

Reminds me of Dieon Branch.

Heh!! I tend to agree: God LOVE Coach B, but he hasn't a CLUE as to how to draft Wide Outs...

My admiration ~ and that of a few others, here ~ is already on the record, in this Thread, regarding Greg Childs. He's a Day 3 option that would seem to offer TREMENDOUS upside for minimal risk.

I've always maintained that you can consistently pick up exceptional Wide Outs on Day 3, or Beyond.

From my perspective, it all boils down to Processing Speed: We've all watched, with frustration and anger, as Wide Out after Wide Out with excellent resumes and/or potential has flamed out, here...

I really get the strong sense that if we can discern ~ via Tape, via Test, or via Interview ~ who the guys are who can best Rapidly Read + React...we will start PRODUCING NFL caliber Wide Outs, rather than BURN them!! :eek:

I view processing ability like software and the physical skills like hardware, I don't know why BB has been unable to find good combination, I'd really like to know more about why Price failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes