PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post 2024 PTP Board/Draft Thread

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
2024 ptp board

I didn't change much tbh. Maybe a little more GBP-ish but I won't change until after this year. With real results to go off. I'm going to change it up until 8 so take a screenshot around then if you want. Honestly didn't do an exact count, I'm guessing about 110-120. I'll add my grades in a minute.

Let me know who should be on or off.

What to do with 3??
I've been on the same page here for a while. It's Maye, possibly Harrison but I think it's Maye or trade down for a few reasons.

I believe all three possibly four of these guys will have a chance at top 5-15 status. So moving down, off Marv, if we decided to go WR. Wouldn't be an enormous drop-off. Odunze and Nabers are special prospects. And imo Thomas has a chance to be special too.

Odunze is perhaps the best all-around of the bunch. Probably the best when it comes to having - size, speed, agility, physicality and nuance. Very smooth mover who often had to wait to accelerate, get to his spots etc bc of all the deep drops UW asked. Definitely can improve on the los but he's got enough release combos for now and more importantly 1)knows how to counter and 2)will get physical, use hands. Stems/re-stem are plus. He knows to leverage defenders into bad spots, plus at the top of his routes. Can stop, sink and accelerate with little wasted movements. Great spatial awareness, body control along the sidelines and mof. Above average blocker. Smooth runner with patience and tempo. Able to make the first guy miss. Big time catch radius. Plus timing and ability to get the ball at its highest without advertising it. Attacks the ball with his hands, plucks/snatches away from his body. Really improved on contested catches and releases this past year. Can take a hit or bounce of contact/catch through contact. Takes to good coaching. Ideal scheme fit is spread/vertical attack that allows him to focus on blocking and everything else second. Good WC fit but will take a minute to really understand the nuances of blocking, quick timing routes etc

Nabers will kill it no matter where he goes. He's got a sweet variety of releases to go with top notch footwork and quickness. Doesn't use his hands as much, he'll never be a "physical" player but he knows how to use them to distract, counter off his suddenness and timing. Gets small, reduces his shoulders, can win in so may ways. Killer motor, blade releases. And is sneaky physical in-route swatting and slapping defenders hands away. He really improved everywhere along the line the past year with the help of coaching. His stems and breaks are top notch though compared to any standards. Just excellent when it comes to pacing, tempo and then using his gifts to finish. Very tough 1v1 assignment bc of his acceleration, ability to go from 100 to 10 with no wasted steps and like a hockey player is always pre-scanning the mof so he knows what he's getting into. Shreds zone bc of pacing, awareness and speed. Can play anywhere but ideal slot/z you move around with motion mixed in.

Harrison Jr is a boundary bully who is Fanta is tight coverage situations. Outside, MOF, Marv has an outstanding ability to catch the ball with his eyes first (like you're taught) and guide it in. He's not a "plucker" in a lot of cases. He'll body-catch the ball like his pops but uses his body so well its extremely hard for defenders to make a move or adjust enough to deflect it. Much improved off the line and against press but still needs to get smaller, take away his chest and reduce that target area. Takes away his shoulders though. Kills off-covererge bc of stride length and vertical threat always being there. One of the smarter, more prepared prospects I've seen. He knows everything a defense is trying to do. He adjust so much from play to play to make it hard on defenders. Whether its a quick hip sink, head fake, pre-scan or pressing a corner he doesn't make anything easy on his man. This shows on all his vertical routes - outside and from the slot. Can play anywhere - will eventually kill it as a big slot. Won't run away from anyone close but he's got the ability to weave, shift without losing much or any speed. Can create angles for himself and make it tough on defenders chasing him. Good blocker not a killer unless he's the #1 blocker on that play. I think MHJ is an ideal X but can play anywhere. He's very young and only improving. Put up big #'s under different QB's while be the focus of a defense every week.

I promised @DaBruinz I would highlight this. It's probably Mayes biggest impediment coming into the league imo. His footwork is bad. Correctable, yes but it leads to all sorts of problems. Inaccuracy, leading him into pressure. This was quite common while watching Maye. I love his aggressiveness, versatility and playmaking ability but this to get fixed.

33 - immediate heel click, too many steps that lead him to the only real pressure around. Feet are never really set or firm to fire. You'll notice he's a little "bouncey" at times. This is a common theme. He likes to slide or drift across as opposed to climb. Another issue that comes up is his hips and feet aren't always matched up correctly with his targets.

47/54 - I'd like to see him throw this a little sooner and I'm not "blaming" this pass on "mechanics" but I hate seeing the back foot come off the ground in most cases. It doesn't help here. Looks like both come off at some point. Not ideal here (54) but back foot stays on the ground which helps imo.

132 - again Upper & lower are helping each other. Another thing you see a lot. Feet stay forward while he contorts his upper. It works but as we'll see the same later on and it doesn't. He's not facing tremendous pressure here he has to set himself up better. Again you see this upper & lower not being married a lot.

150 - nice in rhythm throw. Always a big fan of the back foot/toes staying on the ground. I feel like this could be sped up a little more though. Nothing messy or sloppy but he could be a little quicker. Very next play is why you want to draft him. 40+ air yards far hash to sideline. Effortless, easy but like I've said with Maye. The most important thing about Maye isn't his size or athleticism or arm or we. It's his aggressiveness! None of that is any good if you don't have the aggressive mindset - "go win the game." That aggressiveness is on display everywhere. Good or bad results Maye will put it on his shoulders. And like life you want to funnel that not stop it but that confidence is exactly what you want to see.

210 - Doesn't put himself in the best position going to his right almost moving towards the pressure again. He's in empty, I'd love to see him set those feet off a quick one-two step drop and fire. Something very quick and decisive. This is something I saw a lot. Arm talent and athleticism gets him out of bad situations he creates for himself. The throw was pretty accurate but he made it difficult on himself.

227 - hips and feet aren't set towards where the target is going. Easy miss.

232 is another "why you draft him" play

333 - completely disjointed upper & lower body. Nothing is set. Easy throw still "catchable" but he makes things hard on himself and his target. Again you see this a lot.

451 little hitch/hesitation but you can see the promise in the mechanics

505 feet are set to where the target was no where he was "going to be"

510 - decisive quick with good velocity no messing about that's how you throw to your back

So you see the good and bad with Maye here. This is actually a good game to get a feel for what he can do. Deliver some great passes down field, very aggressive runner and player with traits for days. The mechanics and some of the shots he takes are a real concern though.
He's got all the goods and tools you'd want. Plus arm talent. Great size and frame to add muscle. Can touch any area on the field. Manipulate defenders high or mof/overhang. Can go through 2-3 reads with no problem. He has to get better post snap but is on his way pre snap. Although delayed pressure will hurt him from DBs. Tough kid that will take a shot in pocket or while running. Accurate on the move until about 25 yards. Far hash boundary about 40 with good accuracy. Has to learn how to climb instead of drift. Must get the upper and lower working together. There's so much to like about Maye but you need great coaching, a possible redshirt year and an ownership group with patience. WC isn't an ideal fit. He's much more suited for a spread/rpo look with an emphasis on getting the ball out quick but he's got so much to work with.

I'll continue to give my takes on the PTP prospects and again will add my grades in a minute. Ask me anything.

Can everyone see this? It's a different settings so please let me know.

I would really consider moving up for Thomas, Mims or Bowers around now. If Worthy is on the board late I would make a small run for him. I did add him late. One name, kill me. Board is small though.

Again different settings I don't want to take a chance on someone editing my history
Here are this years grades though ...
GRADING SCALE
9.5 - 9.9 = ELITE/HOF POTENTIAL - TOP 5 POTENTIAL AT POSITION - LOTTERY PICK

8.5 - 9.4 = IMPACT STARTER YR1 / TOP 15 POTENTIAL AT POSITION - 1ST ROUND

8.0 - 8.4 = FUTURE STARTER/CONTRIBUTES YR1 - TOP 30 AT POSITION 2ND ROUND

7.0 - 7.9 = POTENTIAL IMPACT AT POSITION - CHANCE TO START - 3RD ROUND

6.5 - 6.9 = DEPTH/ROTATION/SOLID CONTRIBUTIONS 4TH ROUND

6.0 - 6.4 = TAKE A SHOT - 5TH ROUND
5.5 - 5.9 = TAKE A SHOT - 6TH ROUND
5.0 - 5.4 = TAKE A SHOT - 7TH ROUND

CALEB WILLIAMS - 9.10
DRAKE MAYE - 8.30
MICHAEL PENIX JR - 8.15
JJ MCCARTHY - 8.10
JAYDEN DANIELS - 8.10
BO NIX - 8.06
SPENCER RATTLER - 7.70
JORDAN TRAVIS - 7.50
JOE MILTON - 7.42
AUSTIN REED - 6.94
TANNER MORDECAI - 6.91
MICHAEL PRATT - 6.95
DEVIN LEARY - 6.58
SAM HARTMAN - 6.49

LAIATU LATU - 8.60
DALLAS TURNER - 8.58
JARED VERSE - 8.53
CHOP ROBINSON - 8.43
DARIUS ROBINSON - 8.23
MARSHAWN KNEELAND - 8.18
JONAH ELLIS - 7.91
CHRIS BRASWELL - 7.80
BRALEN TRICE - 7.75
ADISIA ISAAC - 7.75
AUSTIN BOOKER - 7.70
GABRIEL MURPHY - 7.69
ZION TUPUOLA-FETUI - 6.88
XAVIER THOMAS - 6.86
BRENNAN JACKSON - 6.64

MARVIN HARRISON JR - 9.20
ROME ODUNZE - 9.10
MALIK NABERS - 9.10
BRIAN THOMAS JR - 8.50
XAVIER WORTHY - 8.25
LADD MCCONKEY - 8.20
MALACHI CORLEY - 8.18
JERMAINE BURTON - 8.17
TROY FRANKLIN - 8.15
JAVON BAKER - 8.10
ADONAI MITCHELL - 8.10
KEON COLEMAN - 8.05
RICKY PERSALL - 8.05
MALIK WASHINGTON - 8.03
XAVIER LEGETTE - 8.00
JACOB COWING - 7.98
JA'LYNN POLK - 7.95
JOHNNY WILSON - 7.95
BRENDEN RICE - 7.91
JALEN MCMILLAN - 7.90
ROMAN WILSON - 7.85
LUKE MCCAFFREY - 7.55
JAMARI THRASH - 6.90
AINIAS SMITH - 6.85
JOSHUA CEPHUS - 6.60
TAHJ WASHINGTON - 6.40
BUD MEANS - 6.33
XAVIER WEAVER - 6.30

JOHNNY NEWTON - 8.48
BYRON MURPHY - 8.47
RUKE ORHORHORO - 7.98
KRIS JENKINS - 7.96
BRANDON DORLUS - 7.95
MEKHI WINGO - 7.60
MIKE HALL JR - 7.59
T'VONDRE SWEAT - 7.57
FABIAN LOVETT - 7.26
DEWAYNE CARTER - 6.95
MAASON SMITH - 6.90
JORDAN JEFFERSON - 6.55
TYLER DAVIS - 6.49
GABE HALL - 6.44
LEONARD TAYLOR - 6.33
MCKINLEY JACKSON - 6.22

BROCK BOWERS - 9.20
CADE STOVER - 8.21
BEN SINNOTT - 8.19
ERICK ALL - 7.70
JA'TAVION SANDERS - 7.65
THEO JOHNSON - 7.40
TIP REIMAN - 7.35
JARED WILEY - 7.15
JAHEIM BELL - 7.10
AJ BARNER - 7.00
AUSTIN STOGNER - 6.58
JACK WESTOVER - 6.56
DEVIN CULP - 6.53
TANNER MCLACHLAN - 6.43
BREVYN SPANN-FORD - 5.98

JOE ALT - 9.16
JC LATHAM - 8.63
AMARIUS MIMS - 8.60
TYLER GUYTON - 8.57
OLUMUYIWA FASHANU - 8.53
TALIESE FUAGA - 8.53
ROGER ROSENGARTEN - 8.15
PATRICK PAUL - 8.10
KINGSLEY SUAMATAIA -8.10
KIREN AMEGADJIE - 8.02
BLAKE FISHER - 7.90
BRANDON COLEMAN - 7.22
CAEDAN WALLACE - 6.79
CHRISTIAN JONES - 6.62
NATION THOMAS - 6.53
JAVON FOSTER - 6.50
WALTER ROUSE - 6.48
JULIAN PEARL - 5.98

JONATHAN BROOKS - 8.05
JAYLEN WRIGHT - 7.99
TREY BENSON - 7.93
BLAKE CORUM - 7.93
BREALON ALLEN - 7.85
RAY DAVIS - 7.80
WILL SHIPLEY - 7.50
MARSHAWN LLOYD - 7.50
ISAAC GUERENDO - 7.25
DYLAN LAUBE - 7.20
ISAIAH DAVIS - 6.96
BUCKY IRVING - 6.95
BLAKE WATSON - 6.92
TYRONE TRACY JR - 6.90
AUDRIC ESTIME - 6.89
RASHEEN ALI - 6.45
EMANI BAILEY - 6.42
KENDALL MILTON - 6.34

TERRION ARNOLD - 8.59
COOPER DEJEAN - 8.55
QUINYON MITCHELL - 8.50
NATE WIGGINS - 8.39
KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY - 8.23
MIKE SAINRISTIL - 8.17
ENNIS RAKESTRAW JR - 8.17
ANDRU PHILLIPS - 7.90
DJ JAMES - 7.88
KRIS-ABRAMS DRAINE - 7.88
MAX MELTON - 7.87
TJ TAMPA - 7.85
KAMARI LASSITER - 7.84
CAM HART - 7.80
NEHEMIAH PRITCHETT - 7.59
RENARDO GREEN - 7.34
ELIJAH JONES - 6.90
KHYREE JACKSON - 6.90
CAELEN CARSON - 6.88
MYLES HARDEN - 6.80

GRAHAM BARTON - 8.59
TROY FAUTANU - 8.52
JACKSON POWERS-JOHNSON - 8.44
COOPER BEEBE - 8.39
ZACH FRAZIER - 8.29
CHRISTIAN HAYNES - 8.20
DOMINICK PUNI - 8.15
JORDAN MORGAN - 8.10
SEDRICK VAN PRAN-GRANGER - 7.96
CHRISTIAN MAHOGANY - 7.88
TANER BORTOLINI - 7.68
ZAK ZINTER - 7.68
ISAIAH ADAMS - 7.50
BEUX LIMMER -6.98
HUNTER NOURZAD - 6.95
SATAOA LAUMEA - 6.90
MATT LEE - 6.67
JACOB MONK - 6.48
KINGSLEY EGUAKUN - 6.47
NICK GARGUILO - 6.46

EDGERRIN COOPER - 8.20
JUNIOR COLSON - 8.16
CEDRIC GRAY - 7.88
NATHANIEL WATSON - 7.80
PAYTON WILSON - 7.80
EDEFUAN ULOFOSHIO - 7.75
TOMMY EICHENBERG - 6.77
TREVIN WALLACE - 6.75
MARIST LIUFAU - 6.70
JORDAN MAGEE - 6.54
JEREMIAH TROTTER JR - 6.43
JAMAL HILL - 5.99

Kiran Armegadji is an interesting guy and Paul is still out there. We'll have options for tackle. I can't see how we don't go WR or T coming up. Need, position value is too great imo.

Couple of connections to Mayo/Pats Audric Estime and Jonah Ellis. Ellis older brother was in the LB room last year I believe. And Estime is related to Joe Harris who was in there at times I believe. Couple of spots that need filling later on.

So by the BGC grades, good options for #34 include JPJ, Kool Aide, McConkey, Kneeland, and Corley. JPJ is the highest rated by a considerable margin, but the Pats have three young IOL and more significant needs at WR and CB.

I’d be happy with any of them and since I think 2024 is a rebuild year would be just as happy with a trade down to yield a higher overall value, say 3 players in BGCs high 7s low 8s as opposed to one in that range and a second in the mid 7s.

For the first time in too long I feel like the Pats have a “happy dilemma.”

Who are your top two choices for tomorrow?

Kiran Armegadji is an interesting guy and Paul is still out there.
Save interesting for the museums. Solid is what I want.

And there’s no question that at 34 the answer is simple. Don’t overthink it. Forget sexy.

Patrick Paul, LT, Houston.

Could be a run on tackles to start the second round.

Could be a run on tackles to start the second round.
More so than there already has been? I dont remember the last time 7 OTs were taken in the 1st round

Who are your top two choices for tomorrow?

At 34 it would be between Paul and guys like Coleman and Franklin.

Mitchell and Coleman are risky culture fits but I believe high-end WR2 if they hit. Coleman outperformed Jayden Reed at a very early age and needs to be in a timing offense but has a lot of upside. There's a reasons the best evaluators love him.

*side note*
I put Baker twice in WR instead of Mitchell. I added Worthy late and forgot Dejean. I will add him. I make mistakes.

Again I was on the fence with guys like Colemand Mitchell but it's a new day. I believe one of them will be a Bill. Beane was on tape talking about Coleman I believe but could have been AD to. He didn't name them but it's almost assuredly one of them from what he's saying.

Save interesting for the museums. Solid is what I want.

And there’s no question that at 34 the answer is simple. Don’t overthink it. Forget sexy.

Patrick Paul, LT, Houston.
I think Paul will be in considering but he's very one dimensional rn and needs help with refining his strengths. I think him Amegadjie aren't that far apart considering Paul's issues in run blocking.

Thank you BGC for your Spreadsheet of PTP players. I would like the Pats to get a CB, a WR, a TE, and an OT. Using your Spreadsheet - I looked up "your" players (and from draft sites I added comments I liked) and now have my rooting list for watching the rest of the draft. My Binkies:

Round 2
Mike Sainristil CB football player ! (I think he would be a great complement with Gonzalez)
Ja'Lynn Polk WR Goes up and Gets it

Round 3
Malachi Corley WR weapon with ball in hands
Kingsley Suamataia OT day 2 dream to develop
Kiran Amegadjie OT Go Yale ! - wildcard with tools
Devontez Walker WR On North Carolina (making Qb and receiver paired) vertical threat

Round 4
Jalen McMillan WR was prioritized even with Odunze on team
Ben Sinnott TE jack of all trades

Round 5 +
Brenden Rice WR route runner
Luke McCaffrey WR slot route runner
Dominick Puni OT improving and has size
Mason McCormick OG mauling and explosive

I got a Binky !! Now for Suamataia or Amegadjie in Round 3

3/3 so far with Wallace.

4/5 so far. Always kick myself with guys like Robinson bc he was in the middle of the pack on pure analytics/#'s from my list. It's really not easy making and I definitely could be more efficient. I basically look at 200+ guys athletic testing and match them up with what we have gone with in the past. Then I have to make sure the value is correct. Not bad but it's not easy getting out. This year was tough though so I should give myself to leeway. I might need an apprentice though to help going forward :)

I want 2 more off the list. 7 is my best year, 6 aint bad. Actually didn't change it bc I got it out so late. Hoping it helps.

Sorry.
4/5 so far. Always kick myself with guys like Robinson bc he was in the middle of the pack on pure analytics/#'s from my list. It's really not easy making and I definitely could be more efficient. I basically look at 200+ guys athletic testing and match them up with what we have gone with in the past. Then I have to make sure the value is correct. Not bad but it's not easy getting out. This year was tough though so I should give myself to leeway. I might need an apprentice though to help going forward :)

I want 2 more off the list. 7 is my best year, 6 aint bad. Actually didn't change it bc I got it out so late. Hoping it helps.

By my count, you had 6 of 8.. Missing on Milton and Bell.

I believe it was 5/8. Maye, Polk, Wallace, Baker and Dial. Robinson and Bell were very close to being on there. Not bad.

Well.. Had you been with Reiss and what not when it was being signalled who the Pats were focusing on, you'd have gotten and Robinson.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back