PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just considering Film and Production, Penix should be #3 QB taken

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I get it that he has knee injury and shoulder injury issues.
I get that he is older (will be 24)
But if you watch this guy on film...he has a great arm, is accurate as hell, polished and very fast and produced big time.
Is he better than Drake Maye-YES at this time.
Could Drake Maye with good coaching catch up, maybe.
Would anyone out here take a chance with Penix after a trade back instead of Maye at 3?.

I think he will go top 12

MIN with their offense would be a great landing spot for him. Any QB that NE drafts is going to struggle with a below average OL and a WR group that struggles to get seperation; that's probably not going to magically change because there's a different QB under center. Of course, this doesn't preclude taking a QB but expectations should be appropriately cautious.

Across different scouting reports, Maye's footwork and mechanics are consistent red flags. The team's current QB coach (see below) has one year of experience. Correcting fundamental flaws is a tall order under the best of circumstances and this is asking a lot from a rookie QB and inexperienced coach. Conversely, a big part of JD's game is his running ability, and that rarely translates to the NFL (Lamar Jackson's success notwithstanding). Also from scouting reports JD appears to have an average arm.

Unpopular opinion, but I think the team is missing an opportunity to add much needed talent to the roster by taking a QB at 3. Trade down to 11 and take Penix there (and there's still a chance JJ might be available. The media has certainly hyped JJ but I don't know if the other QB-needy teams in the top half of the draft feel the same. It's all a calculated gamble.)

McCartney joins New England after spending the last four seasons with the Cleveland Browns (2020-23), first as an offensive assistant (2020-21) and then the last two seasons (2022-23) as the tight ends coach. Following his playing career as a quarterback at Louisiana State (2007-10), McCartney began his coaching career as a graduate assistant/offensive assistant coach with LSU in 2011. He continued as a graduate assistant/offensive assistant coach at Colorado for two seasons (2012-13), before serving as an offensive assistant with Cleveland in 2014. McCartney then served as a quality control coach with the San Francisco 49ers in 2015, returned to LSU as a graduate assistant/offensive assistant coach in 2016, then returned to the 49ers for two seasons as an offensive assistant/quality control coach (2017-18). He spent the 2019 season as the quarterbacks coach with the Denver Broncos before re-joining Cleveland in 2020.

I think the injury concern might be a bigger one that you're giving it credit for. Not going to pretend I've done a lot of film study on the guy, but those I've read say he tends to take a high percentage of sacks when he's pressured (as opposed to guys who escape that pressure). That means his injuries, while maybe not a sign of being fragile, DO represent a by-product of how he plays. Unless he can react better to pressure and protect himself, he feels like another injury waiting to happen.

That said, you're not necessarily wrong, because all of the QBs in this draft have some kind of major wart that should give a team at least a little pause. So whether he should be the 3rd QB taken or not really comes down to the team's preference: Which kind of risk am I most comfortable taking on a QB?

You either have to take the sky high ceiling in Maye, the intangibles in McCarthy.
I said years ago we could win a superbowl with Alex Smith.
If that’s Mccarty’s floor and his ceiling is Love Rodgers like sign me up.
If Mayes floor is Wentz and his ceiling is Josh Allen that’s kind of terrifying.

If you can draft Harrison JR or Nabors and come back up for Nix or take Rattler or Pratt later that’s not a terrible way to start building something and grab a franchise QB in 2025 or 2026.

If you feel good about Maye or Mccarhy you have to take one.
Sometimes when I watch McCarthy I see signs of Brady.
Might be the damn Michigan jersey clouding me.

But if you watch this guy on film...he has a great arm, is accurate as hell, polished and very fast and produced big time.
Would anyone out here take a chance with Penix after a trade back instead of Maye at 3?.

Depends on our individual inputs. Does not line up the assessments that I'm reading, in The Athletic, BSJ, and The Globe.

Took you a while to come around dude's a gamer what's not to like. That's why I was favoring Trading #3 we could still get him after the Trade. Intrigued to know what AVP and our Brass think about him. :cool:

Huge grain of salt and all that, but from a thread on reddit from someone claiming to be a scout.

1: Some teams take Penix off their boards because he's left handed (ball is harder to catch.)
2: Maye is still considered QB2 despite the negative coverage
3: In response to a question on who is more likely to trade down, AZ or LAC:

I think both are candidates. I'd say the most likely would be Arizona. The decision maker here understands draft charts and is not afraid to work within his own. Also assuming it's for a QB needy team they will target this first in order to stop someone else from jumping.

I'd say NE is the top spot for a trade up over both
Here's the thread if anyone is interested.

I am not willing to risk that a guy who had four season-ending injuries in his first 20 games is going to be "the guy" when he's going to get hit a lot more in the NFL than he did the last two years.

I was watching some evaluators talk about him and I think he’s a hard pass. He has a nice arm, but he doesn’t know how to throw short. They said Michigan took away the deep and intermediate stuff and left the short stuff wide open and Penix was lost, had a horrible game. Good college QB, but I don’t think he’ll translate to the pro game.

Took you a while to come around dude's a gamer what's not to like. That's why I was favoring Trading #3 we could still get him after the Trade. Intrigued to know what AVP and our Brass think about him. :cool:
Took me awhile also. Injury history scared me away.
Don't like his sidearm throw but it is accurate. Not sure if some passes get batted down with that motion

Saying that. He makes strong and accurate throws.
Throws the pass before the receiver breaks. Only McCarthy did the same. Maye and Daniels did not. Needed in NFL.
He has wheels just does not go that route as often.
Smart

He tore two ACL’s. No way I’m drafting 24 year old QB’s with that injury history.

I was watching some evaluators talk about him and I think he’s a hard pass. He has a nice arm, but he doesn’t know how to throw short. They said Michigan took away the deep and intermediate stuff and left the short stuff wide open and Penix was lost, had a horrible game. Good college QB, but I don’t think he’ll translate to the pro game.
Took me awhile also. Injury history scared me away.
Don't like his sidearm throw but it is accurate. Not sure if some passes get batted down with that motion
Could the difficulty throwing short be related to throwing sidearm? When throwing 15+ yards downfield, the ball trajectory makes it less likely to get swatted at the line regardless of release point. I'd imagine a high release is more important on shorter throws.

Knee and shoulder issues ... here could be a nail in the coffin.

Animated GIF

Old and injured a lot, a lot, perfect call SBC, why wouldn't you pick an old oft injured qb.

You either have to take the sky high ceiling in Maye, the intangibles in McCarthy.
I said years ago we could win a superbowl with Alex Smith.
If that’s Mccarty’s floor and his ceiling is Love Rodgers like sign me up.
If Mayes floor is Wentz and his ceiling is Josh Allen that’s kind of terrifying.

If you can draft Harrison JR or Nabors and come back up for Nix or take Rattler or Pratt later that’s not a terrible way to start building something and grab a franchise QB in 2025 or 2026.

If you feel good about Maye or Mccarhy you have to take one.
Sometimes when I watch McCarthy I see signs of Brady.
Might be the damn Michigan jersey clouding me.
It's not just the shirt: JJ seems to have the same drive Brady had as a player. The intangibles are there, as you said. You can have all the talent in the world, but without the intangibles, you're Jeff George.

If he had no injury history, I would think that he would be drafted in the top 6 picks.

And yes, I suspect that someone will take a chance on him in the first 12 picks.

Could the difficulty throwing short be related to throwing sidearm? When throwing 15+ yards downfield, the ball trajectory makes it less likely to get swatted at the line regardless of release point. I'd imagine a high release is more important on shorter throws.
Possibility for sure.
If that is the case. Going to be difficult trying to change his throwing motion since he has played a lot of football

If he had no injury history, I would think that he would be drafted in the top 6 picks.

And yes, I suspect that someone will take a chance on him in the first 12 picks.
I think he’s less a chance than the others, injuries or not.

He tore two ACL’s. No way I’m drafting 24 year old QB’s with that injury history.
Gronk had prior injuries also, you would not have picked him i see? The kid is legit. Stands in the pocket like Brady, strong arm, accurate, throws the ball before the reciever breaks and fast.

Would you want him in the top 12 picks

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back