PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Wide Receivers *

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Jordan White from Western Michigan. He made the AFCA All America team. He's listed as 6'0'' 215 lbs. Extremely productive. HIs stats from soph / junior / senior are:

Rec Yds Tds
53 684 4
94 1378 10
127 1646 16

A brief scouting report from OG draft: High character, good hands, decent route runner but could improve, not great straight line speed but not horrible, good finding holes in the zone.

For those concerned about level of competition consider that Greg Jennings is a Western Michigan Alum and didn't produce quite as much.

One guy I have seen linked a lot with the patriots is Mohamed Sanu out of Rutgers, for me, I don't see the fit. He has nice size, but I do not see much explosion off the line or much in terms of lateral quickness. I also think he body catches the ball far too often. He will however line up at all the different WR positions and he will go over the middle.

Toledo have a couple of kids worth watching on Wednesday, specifically a WR and an OT. Eric Page is everything the Pats love in their receivers - shifty, agile, great hands, can get open in a phone booth, hugely productive college career - and he can return the ball. We ignored Antonio Brown in 2010 (annoyingly), hopefully we don't look beyond Page.

Most college teams don't run the ball any more. Ohio was the exception, not the rule. Most use spread offenses where it's easy for the wr's to get off of the LOS and have simple routes with very few offensive plays. That's the problem. They don't learn to read defenses. They come to New England and have to read what the defense is doing. Many have trouble doing it. We won't know until the combine. But, we know Belichick likes the three cone drill. I look for Kendall Wright and Joe Adams to put up good numbers there.

Patrick Edwards should also put up great numbers there..

Toledo have a couple of kids worth watching on Wednesday, specifically a WR and an OT. Eric Page is everything the Pats love in their receivers - shifty, agile, great hands, can get open in a phone booth, hugely productive college career - and he can return the ball. We ignored Antonio Brown in 2010 (annoyingly), hopefully we don't look beyond Page.

Except that Page is a junior and you don't know whether or not he'll declare. He's currently rated as the 9th WR in the 2013 draft, so it may behoove him to stay in school..

Toledo aren't going anywhere fast. Brown was also a Junior when he came out, and Page is a better player from what I've seen.

Dwight Jones is the kid i like along with the kid from Baylor.I would use a first round pick on one of those two kids.I think Jones will be good in the league.

I am also on the Jordan White bandwagon as well.He looks like a solid prospect.

How about Jordan White from Western Michigan. He made the AFCA All America team. He's listed as 6'0'' 215 lbs. Extremely productive. HIs stats from soph / junior / senior are:

Rec Yds Tds
53 684 4
94 1378 10
127 1646 16

A brief scouting report from OG draft: High character, good hands, decent route runner but could improve, not great straight line speed but not horrible, good finding holes in the zone.

For those concerned about level of competition consider that Greg Jennings is a Western Michigan Alum and didn't produce quite as much.
This kid can flat out play and return!

Last edited:
There's no way Jordan White lasts until the middle rounds after today, and that performance.

Alshon Jeffrey's stock has been slipping, possibly even out of the first round. However, after his truncated performance in the Capital One Bowl, does anyone see a) his stock rising and b) whether or not he's a fit for the Pats?

I was really impressed with the way he handled Alfonzo Dennard's physical play, upto his expulsion. It looked like Dennard was getting the upper hand early, but Jeffrey battled on and got two big receptions in the 2nd Quarter including a hail mary jump ball.

What makes me think he might be a match for the Pats is his sheer size and physicality. The Patriots offense is built around creating matchup advantages and Jeffrey certainly does that - he looks like a man mountain out there. If he times in the 4.4 range at the combine, i suspect this question will be academic, but if he's there when we pick in the first, do you take him?

Alshon Jeffrey's stock has been slipping, possibly even out of the first round. However, after his truncated performance in the Capital One Bowl, does anyone see a) his stock rising and b) whether or not he's a fit for the Pats?

I was really impressed with the way he handled Alfonzo Dennard's physical play, upto his expulsion. It looked like Dennard was getting the upper hand early, but Jeffrey battled on and got two big receptions in the 2nd Quarter including a hail mary jump ball.

What makes me think he might be a match for the Pats is his sheer size and physicality. The Patriots offense is built around creating matchup advantages and Jeffrey certainly does that - he looks like a man mountain out there. If he times in the 4.4 range at the combine, i suspect this question will be academic, but if he's there when we pick in the first, do you take him?

Nope. Lazy. Runs sloppy routes. Poor work ethic.

Nope. Lazy. Runs sloppy routes. Poor work ethic.

I have to say, in the matchup of the day, he looked anything but lazy. In fact, "up for the challenge" would be a better description.

I have to say, in the matchup of the day, he looked anything but lazy. In fact, "up for the challenge" would be a better description.

There were couple of games in the reg season where he just quit. Didn't bother running the full route he was assigned to bc he had a true Freshman QB throwing.

Also, this is a bowl game and it's his last game. I would think a player would show up for that.

This interesting:

In fact another Big 12 receiver, Kendall Wright of Baylor, adorns the top spot at the receiver position on their draft boards.
Earlier this week we were alerted that several teams, including one NFC team in the playoffs this weekend, grade Wright as the top wide out in the draft. After several conversations with scouts and league insiders we found out this is not an anomaly- many decision makers rate Kendall Wright higher than his Big 12 counterpart.
When teams look at Wright’s film they see the entire receiver package; great speed, quickness, acceleration and more than anything else- tremendous hands. He’s graded as a terrific route runner with barely any stiffness in his game and a prospect that understands the position. Wright’s ability to outrun defenders down the field and beat them in midair for the difficult reception is only surpassed by the consistent separation he gets from opponents in underneath coverage.
Wright does not have Blackmon’s size yet area scouts feel his combination of size (5′-10”/195lbs) and speed (sub 4.40s) coupled with his natural receiving skills are good enough to label him as a number one wide out for the NFL.

just generally, not from a Pats perspective necessarily.

2 Things.

1. BB is most likely going to go defense heavy with his top picks seeing as that we have the worst defense ever.

2. WR, IMO, is becoming a devalued position in that like RB, it is very possible to get a very good player in later rounds. I think that is because the success of WRs and RBs to some degree has to do with the offensive system.

Considering these 2 points I think that the WRs to look at are going to mid to late rounders or players that you think will fall.

Ryan Broyles seems to be like BB type of pick. Great route runner, great hands, is a leader and has good draft value because of the injury.

Dwight Jones is a player I can't get a good read on. A lot of draft sites have him as a late riser while others forget about him completely.

Jeff Fuller is someone who had a terrible season but has been a productive player. He was thought of as a potential 1st round pick and now is dropping into the 3rd or maybe 4th round. Seems like a good value pick

2 Things.

1. BB is most likely going to go defense heavy with his top picks seeing as that we have the worst defense ever.

2. WR, IMO, is becoming a devalued position in that like RB, it is very possible to get a very good player in later rounds. I think that is because the success of WRs and RBs to some degree has to do with the offensive system.

Considering these 2 points I think that the WRs to look at are going to mid to late rounders or players that you think will fall.

Ryan Broyles seems to be like BB type of pick. Great route runner, great hands, is a leader and has good draft value because of the injury.

Dwight Jones is a player I can't get a good read on. A lot of draft sites have him as a late riser while others forget about him completely.

Jeff Fuller is someone who had a terrible season but has been a productive player. He was thought of as a potential 1st round pick and now is dropping into the 3rd or maybe 4th round. Seems like a good value pick

- How do you know what BB will do? It might seem obvious that he'll go towards defense but how have you done when predicting players/positions he's drafted early?

- How much luck have we have drafting WRs, much less WRs late? Getting a WR that can be productive for the Patriots isn't very easy, maybe we'll be able to sign Brandon Lloyd while dropping Ocho but that isn't substantiating the idea that they're easy to get late.

- How do you know what BB will do? It might seem obvious that he'll go towards defense but how have you done when predicting players/positions he's drafted early?

- How much luck have we have drafting WRs, much less WRs late? Getting a WR that can be productive for the Patriots isn't very easy, maybe we'll be able to sign Brandon Lloyd while dropping Ocho but that isn't substantiating the idea that they're easy to get late.

Obviously I have no idea what BB will do but I'm saying this is what I think most likely will happen.

And my WRs comment was more about a .league trend than the Patriots. There are a lot of impact WRs coming out of the later rounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe