PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Wide Receivers *

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 40 times are VASTLY over-rated and initial burst, or "Launch" in Gridian terms, is very under-rated. If they have a superior launch they'll be able to get open and move the chains.

Regarding deep speed, it's certainly nice but it's icing on the cake rather than cake itself. Also, few people consider the importance of burst within speed, I've never seen anyone exemplify this better than Moss in his prime, he could run at a very good clip but he wouldnt be going at full speed, when a DB thought he had him you'd suddenly see a burst from Moss even beyond that very high speed he was running at. There was just no answer for this.

At the combine there were several experts talking about "controlling one's speed", this is what they meant, how 'a WR could run a 4.35 40 but he didnt play at his 40 and how some guys played beyond their 40'. The ability to quickly accelerate and decelerate is of paramount importance, even though Jerry Rice had a pretty bad 40 time (4.7-4.8) there was no receiver who was quicker in and out of his breaks than him.

So, if a receiver has that incredible burst with fantastic speed you have the raw material for an incredible player.
I completely agree, but obviously some NFL don't. Like the Raiders in years past who were fixated on speed over everything else.

This is why in a late round excellent excellent value will be had in Michigan State's BJ Cunningham, whose forty time looks to be disappointing at 4.61.

Consider him the anti-Charles Rodgers.

Sports Trivia » NFL Draft Profile: Michigan State WR B.J. Cunningham

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Pats dealt Hoyer for a pick and then used it on another MSU product?

- How do you know what BB will do? It might seem obvious that he'll go towards defense but how have you done when predicting players/positions he's drafted early?

- How much luck have we have drafting WRs, much less WRs late? Getting a WR that can be productive for the Patriots isn't very easy, maybe we'll be able to sign Brandon Lloyd while dropping Ocho but that isn't substantiating the idea that they're easy to get late.

1) What do you consider to be late in the draft? I consider it rounds 5-7

2) The Pats have drafted 3 WR late. Givens, PK Sam, Edelman. 2 of the 3 have been successful. It becomes 4 if you count Slater, but I don't.

3) The Pats only have 2 WR under contract going into the off-season. They will need to add 3 more. Let's assume that Lloyd and Welker are 2 of the 3. Then what? Remember that Welker will be 31 in May and Lloyd turns 31 in July.

Still need a developmental one and there seem to be several good ones late who are flying under the radar.There are Guys like Patrick Edwards out of Houston. People have mentioned Boykin and Coale out of VT.

Pats actually have 3 WR under contract for 2012. Edleman, Ochocinco and Underwood.

Tiquan Underwood - New England Patriots - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Underwood signed in late 2011 has a $615,000 salary in 2012. Not a lock to make the roster or anything but is getting more playing time than Ochocinco.

Cutting Chad saves us around $4.5M in cap space next year so it will probably happen if we can add Lloyd.

Here's my hope for 2012 patriots WR depth chart:

Welker
Lloyd
Branch
Ocho (restructured contract)
Underwood
Slater

Lloyd will likely be better than any rookie we draft. With Lloyd, Welker, and the 2 TE's any rookie receiver will have very few opportunities to make an impact and grow as a player. Therefore just bring back Branch. He knows the offense and will likely come for cheap. Ocho on a restructured deal, with an off season to work w/ Brady, is a great gamble to take. He works hard and hasn't cause problems. Underwood is signed and Brady seems to like him.

I would only draft a wr in rounds 5 or later based on their poor chance of getting PT. Obviously this all hinges on signing these wr's but I want to keep the offense a well oiled machine.

I would only draft a wr in rounds 5 or later based on their poor chance of getting PT. Obviously this all hinges on signing these wr's but I want to keep the offense a well oiled machine.

This is why I'm leaning towards Joe Adams of Arkansas. Doesn't have the skills yet to see the field regularly as a WR but has intriguing speed and a devilish return so offers something to the team.

Welker
Lloyd
Branch
Underwood
Slater

Lloyd will likely be better than any rookie we draft. With Lloyd, Welker, and the 2 TE's any rookie receiver will have very few opportunities to make an impact and grow as a player. Therefore just bring back Branch. He knows the offense and will likely come for cheap. Ocho on a restructured deal, with an off season to work w/ Brady, is a great gamble to take. He works hard and hasn't cause problems. Underwood is signed and Brady seems to like him.

I don't see Branch or Ocho back to be honest. I see the Pats having added a pick or two late in the draft and adding a WR then. There are several that people like. I like Patrick Edwards, personally. He's taken an almost identical career track as Welker. Was a walk-on in Houston and became their best WR for the last 3 years.. He also returns kicks and punts so he would fit in at the tail end as a developmental WR with no worries..

I don't see Branch or Ocho back to be honest. I see the Pats having added a pick or two late in the draft and adding a WR then. There are several that people like. I like Patrick Edwards, personally. He's taken an almost identical career track as Welker. Was a walk-on in Houston and became their best WR for the last 3 years.. He also returns kicks and punts so he would fit in at the tail end as a developmental WR with no worries..

WR's have had trouble picking up the offense. If we have Welker and Lloyd there will be very little PT for any young receiver to actually develop. B/c of this Branch is far more valuable to us compared to other receivers. He doesn't need regular PT. If Welker or Lloyd go down he can step in and produce better than you could reasonably expect any rookie receiver to. I feel confident in saying Branch will be back.

I think a case can be made to replace Ocho as he has not produced. I just don't think it will happen.

I seriously hope we pick up some new WRs in the off-season. And not just any WRs, younger guys. Our good WRs are getting up there in age and their skills are starting to drop off. O think we need atleast one young guy who can contribute and not sit on the bench most of the games.

If we want to develop good receivers, we can't just have them sitting on the bench all the time. Unless they play, they won't take the final step to be good/great. You can practice all you want, but they will never contribute if all they do is sit and wait for someone to get injured.

Look at Edelman, I think most people would say he's regressed since the 2009 season where he had all of his catches when Welker was injured. But I think it's more about him not getting the snaps after Welker came back, and now he doesn't have as much confidence because catches are few and far between.

Last edited:
Is anyone intrigued by Mohamed Sanu? Wide receiver that runs like a running back, blocks like a fullback and makes superhuman catches. Get the impression he's a smart player too so probably has a better chance of picking up the Patriot way.

Wouldn't be totally against picking him with our 2nd 1st if there's nothing else great out there and no decent trade down opportunity.

Edelman is making the team.

I think the open question is whether we keep either of Branch and Ochocinco, after we re-sign Welker.

Welker
Lloyd
Branch
Underwood
Slater

Edelman is making the team.

I think the open question is whether we keep either of Branch and Ochocinco, after we re-sign Welker.

Why get rid of Branch? He's solid and relatively inexpensive.

Is anyone intrigued by Mohamed Sanu? Wide receiver that runs like a running back, blocks like a fullback and makes superhuman catches. Get the impression he's a smart player too so probably has a better chance of picking up the Patriot way.

Wouldn't be totally against picking him with our 2nd 1st if there's nothing else great out there and no decent trade down opportunity.

I like Sanu. I actually think he has a good shot at being picked by Houston in the first so doesn't make it to Pick 27. They need a better #2 WR in case Johnson has any more health issues.

What I'd love to see at WR this coming season:
Welker
Lloyd
Branch
Edelman
Slater
Rookie who is fast, can return kicks, and run end arounds and stuff
Ryan Broyles on PUP and then IR for the year, replacing Branch in 2013.

Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma is my favorite even though he's coming off an ACL injury. He may not be the tallest guy or a speed demon. But the dude can flat out play. Deion Branch circa 2002 is what I saw when I watched him play. And he has some all-time NCAA records to show for it.

I'm hoping the medical people give us good news about the progress of his rehab. But he probably still won't be able to workout prior to draft. Therefore we can probably get him a round or two later than he would have gone if healthy. But he should be good to go by training camp or maybe even an OTA in late spring or early summer.

What I'd love to see at WR this coming season:
Welker
Lloyd
Branch
Edelman
Slater
Rookie who is fast, can return kicks, and run end arounds and stuff
Ryan Broyles on PUP and then IR for the year, replacing Branch in 2013.

I love it, the only change I would make is to shift Edelperson over to DB full-time and kick the tires on Greg Childs. I also want to draft Coby Fleener at TE though he would line up wide here and there.

A WR I think we could get in the mid rounds is AJ Jenkins from Illinois. He's a slick receiver that runs great routes, gets good separation and hands great hands. I think he would put up great numbers as the 4th option in this offense. Can't wait to see him in the shrine game.

A WR I think we could get in the mid rounds is AJ Jenkins from Illinois. He's a slick receiver that runs great routes, gets good separation and hands great hands. I think he would put up great numbers as the 4th option in this offense. Can't wait to see him in the shrine game.

I've started to come on to him myself, but just through scouting reports. Watching him in the shrine game just got added to my list.

I've started to come on to him myself, but just through scouting reports. Watching him in the shrine game just got added to my list.

He meets the 1000yd requirement in college just waiting on his Short Shuttle at his Pro Day or the Combine.

Explanation of Colors + Numbers

1 ~ Red = OverRated ~ in my OH so humble opinion!!

2 ~ Purple = Sleeper or Steal or Super Sleeper!!

3 ~ Blue = Bargain ~ Good Value.

4 ~ The first number = Market Value ~ my best guess, based on CBS, Walter, Et Cetera...

5 ~ The second number = FIENDISH Value ~ how I grade them!!

6 ~ These will all be Cut + Pasted from yon Site, so the formats are different.

An Explanation of My Twisted ViewPoint!!

I have no intention or expectation of converting anyone to my view of things, of course. That doesn't happen, anyway: People make up their own minds in their own way...But an explanation is warranted, I think, out of respect to those of you who do me the honor of reading these Works.

As I place a disproportionately enormous emphasis on Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed when evaluating Quarter Backs, so do I lend an extreme level of importance, when evaluating all Grizzlies, to Core Strength.

A Grizzly's inferior Core Strength can be exposed by any number of things: Displaying an insufficiently compact Coil...Bending at the Waist...Rising too high off the Snap...A tendency ~ even with a low initial stance ~ to get ridden back high...Inability to Mirror...and of course: Getting the stuffing beaten out of you on a regular basis!!

Outstanding Core Strength, on the other hand, takes years of dedication in the weight room, but goes a long way to establishing dominance In The Trenches!!

As with Quarter Backs, my evaluations of Split Ends ~ the classic term for Offensive Linemen who "split out" and are usually called "Wide Receivers" ~ focuses on attributes that are starkly divergent with the priorities of most others.

In a word: I don't give a rat's ass about "40" time.

What I care about is Release ~ Getting Out of the Blocks ~ and Short Burst ~ which can be boiled down rather nicely to the 10 Yard Split, after the Combine ~ and, above all, to Navigation ~ Route Running, Fluidity, and both Verticity + Torsion ~ my terms for the measure of crispy, snappy sharpness + explosion out'f Breaks.

And that's about it.

I'm all about Moving The Chains, baby.

Blocking is a nice bonus, but not absolutely essential, in my view...though more essential than "40" time!!

And, for the record: It would be an essential to any team I was putting together!!

And it's allways nice if you can catch the #$%&ing Ball.

Justin Blackmon ~ 6.1/216 ~ 1st ~ 1st

459370352.jpg

Beast!! Justin Blackmon doesn't have much BreakAway Speed to speak of, so I would normally expect him to be underrated, yet his Top 5 Market Value suggests that the opposite is true.

Don't get me wrong: I really like this kid. His Release is outstanding, as he commands the Core Strength, the Dexterity, and the Fluidity to win most of the Battles at the Line of Scrimmage.

The way he Works The Field is outstanding: His Acceleration up and down the Gears, his Verticity, in changing directions sharply, his Fluidity, and his discipline in Route Running are all exceptional.

And he will rack up the YAC.

In short: This is a guy who will Move The Chains for you, reliably and consistently. And that ~ not chucking it downfield and hoping for the best ~ is how you win FootBall games at the next level.

Top 5 is a bit high for my tastes, but that's not my call. The truth is that this guy should be his QB's best friend for the next decade. Fair Value!!

Michael Floyd ~ 6.3/224 ~ 1st ~ 1st

539066791.jpg

Super Beast!! Michael Floyd is the Alpha Male of this Split End Class, for my money.

His Release is phenomenal, as he commands a deadly combination of Core Strength, Fluidity, and remarkable Dexterity, to win most of his Battles.

His Navigation is extraordinary, as well, as he brings a quick Short Burst, precision Route Running, and crisp Verticity to the table. And his Pedigree simply outstanding, as he has mastered Charlie Weiss' System at Notre Dame.

Great Hands, and he'll rack up the YAC like a BEAST.

One man's Possession Receiver is another man's Super Beast!! Even as a Mid 1st Rounder, Michael Floyd, in my opinion, is a Steal!!

Kendall Wright ~ 5.10/189 ~ 1st ~ 1st

564741916.jpg

Beast!! Ordinarily, I'm not too fond of Zoomers like Kendall Wright, as they tend ~ in my opinion ~ to get far more Love than their ultimate Impact on their team's PlayOff fortunes warrants.

But I make an exception for Kendall Wright: His Long Speed ~ his "40" ~ doesn't interest me, but his Short Burst ~ his "10", if you will ~ is phenomenal.

This kid is truly explosive.

And he also gets extra points in my book for Cross Training: He's a former Quarter Back, and it shows in outstanding Instincts and Savvy on the field.

He's kind of raw as a Navigator, which I don't like at all...But in his favor is not only Cross Training as a Flanker and a Slot End, but universal praise for his Tenacity and flat out Voracity: Any refinement that is needed in his Route Running is not from lack of Passion or Desire, and I project that ~ much like Mike Wallace, who folks generally love comparing him to ~ he will evolve into a complete Receiver in the next few years. Fair Value!!

Mohamed Sanu ~ 6.2/216 ~ 2nd ~ 2nd

529056369.jpg

Beast!! Mohamed Sanu is still raw as a Navigator and Route Runner, but Coach Greg Schiano has earned an excellent reputation for training his players for success at the next level, and he has nothing but effusive praise for young Sanu.

And the raw Talent is there: his Core Strength, Fluidity, and Short Burst are all exceptional. He just needs to develop them, which all agree he commands the Work Ethic and Character to do. Fair Value!!

Alshon Jeffery ~ 6.2/228 ~ 2nd ~ 6th-7th

816209258.jpg

Reserve!! Alshon Jeffrey is a GOD-awful Navigator, combining sloppy Route Running with hideous Fluidity and awful Verticity ~ no Burst in'is Breaks.

Jeffery is a walking Red Flag. OverRated!!

Rueben Randle ~ 6.3/208 ~ 2nd ~ 6th-7th

120335868.jpg

Role Player!! I like Rueben Randle: He's a former Quarter Back, and a smart, savvy FootBall player.

But I don't think he has much upside. He's not especially explosive out'f'is Breaks, and doesn't seem to bring much Burst to any aspect of his Game.

Even in his Release, he has issues, as he doesn't seem overly physical, and there's not much Fluidity or Dexterity, or Tenacity in his Repertoire.

He could and should fill a role, as he's new to the job, he's smart, and he's willing to learn. But I see him as a Reserve or Role Player, optimally. OverRated!!

Stephen Hill ~ 6.4/207 ~ 1st-2nd ~ 2nd-3rd

678802752.jpg

Starter!! Laying the term "Starter" on a Prospect like Stephen Hill ~ who could is much more likely to end up as either "Beast" or "Bust" than anything as mundane as "Starter" seems kinda lame...

But I'm assigning Value, here ~ comparing Investment to potential and probable Return on Investment ~ and "Starter" seems like the best way to approximate the Value of an High Ceiling/Low Floor Prospect like Hill.

Then, again, maybe I need invent another term. Hah!!

In a word: Stephen Hill displays sufficient Launch Velocity, Burst out of his Breaks, Fluidity, and Tenacity to develop into an exceptional Receiver.

But his Navigational Game and Route Running are raw, sloppy, and GOD awful: Georgia Tech doesn't exactly run a refined Offensive Scheme.

However, he does exhibit Tenacity, even Ferocity as a Blocker, and that is one of my favorite indirect measures of likely success at the next level: An indicator, in my mind, of willingness to do the work.

He could absolutely flop, but as a guy with good marks for Work Ethic and Beast upside, I call him a pretty good bet...However, that crazy Combine has blown his Stock a little to high for my tastes!! OverRated!!

Nick Toon ~ 6.2/220 ~ 2nd-3rd ~ 4th-5th

226159365.jpg

Potential Starter!! Nick Toon is the Polar Opposite of Stephen Hill: limited physical skills but elevated Savvy.

He isn't particularly impressive with his Burst or his Fluidity, but he Works The Field really well.

He is an adept Navigator.

No Super Star, this guy, but he'll hit the ground running at the next level, and should be a contributor for many years. Even so, 2nd-3rd Round is far too rich for what I expect of this guy. OverRated!!

Juron Criner ~ 6.2/220 ~ 3rd ~ 3rd

755583336.jpg

Starter!! Juron Criner could be a sharper Route Runner, and his experience in Arizona's Spread won't help him take on the complicated Routes of the NFL.

But he brings an outstanding Release to the table, consistently getting off the Blocks with excellent Core Strength, Fluidity, and Dexterity.

And he displays an impressive Short Burst to get open, he Navigates with a superior level of sharp Verticity in his Breaks, and he's comfortable boxing out defenders with his bulk.

He's also a pretty physical Blocker, which I love.

And I love that he came raging back from an Appendectomy to have a stellar Senior season, when many thought he'd miss it all together.

It may take a while as he learns to run routes at a Professional level, but I believe Criner's going to prove to one of the most solid Split Ends in this entire Class: A guy who'll consistently help you Move The Chains, both with the ball and without. Fair Value!!

Dwight Jones ~ 6.3/225 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 7th

676987096.jpg

Reserve!! Dwight Jones, it seems to me, is hindered by a lethal combination of weaknesses.

First off, he displays Poor Diagnostic Acuity ~ he has a tough time deciphering Routes. This is compounded by sloppy Route Running.

And despite a perfect Frame for the job, he's got awful Core Strength and Dexterity, losing far too many Battles at the Line of Scrimmage.

His Short Burst is lousy, and his Fluidity, as well as his Verticity and Torsion ~ Sharpness and Burst out'f'is Breaks ~ is also weak.

He's got some basic tools to work with, but I'm afraid I simply wouldn't want to bet on this kid. Bust!!

Brian Quick ~ 6.4/222 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 2nd-3rd

686932195.jpg

Starter!! Once again, Cross Training brings a Prospect square into my Sites.

Brian Quick has a successfull run in BasketBall on his Resume, and though he's also relatively new to FootBall ~ and it shows in certain elements of rawness ~ such a Resume suggests not only a well rounded kind of Athleticism, it also suggests that the Quick Twitch elements of BasketBall are subtle but vital aspects of the Game that he not only inherently possesses at an advanced level...but has had ample opportunity to refine on the Court.

And that, too, shows.

Quick needs plenty of work, of course ~ not least because of the simplified Offense run at Appalachian State ~ but he commands an impressive arsenal of Core Strength, Fluidity, Dexterity, Short Burst, Verticity, and Torsion.

He's officially an High Risk/High Reward Prospect, and one that will very likely need some time, but one I would be very confident in betting on. Deal!!

Tommy Streeter ~ 6.4/216 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 6th-7th

732678570.jpg

Reserve!! I'm not really a big fan of Tommy Streeter's Game: He has excellent Long Speed ~ which of course I don't give a Rat's Ass about ~ and with his Size and Speed is certainly one of this Class's top HighLight Reel candidates.

But his Short Burst is inferior, he shows no Verticity in his Breaks, and his struggles to Release off the line betray a surprising lack of Core Strength, as well as awful Dexterity, which also shows up in his tendency to plant FootBalls.

And he's a pretty raw Navigator, as well.

All Hat, No Cattle. OverRated!!

Joe Adams ~ 5.11/175 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 2nd

437312342.jpg

Starter!! Joe Adams is a tiny Zoomer who displays the Release issues ~ getting out of the Blocks ~ that you would expect. And he plants too many FootBalls.

Even so, I like the kid. He brings a lot of Fluidity, and a lot of Verticity and Torsion out'f'is Breaks.

One is always going to be concerned about his durability, but he's pretty tough, and many his size are forging long, succesfull careers.

I seriously doubt that his Market Value isn't about to rocket up into the 2nd Round at the Combine, but for now, I would definitely call him a bargain: Steal!!

Christopher Givens ~ 6.0/195 ~ 4th-5th ~ 6th-7th

244539407.jpg

Role Player!! Christopher Givens shows a dangerous lack of Core Strength and Dexterity in his Release, losing far too many Battles at the Line of Scrimmage.

He is an excellent Route Runner, though, boasting exceptional Fluidity, Verticity, and Torsion out'f'is Breaks.

His struggles at the Line scare me, but his excellence at the other aspects give him a fighting chance at winning a starting Gig, but I see'm as more of a Role Player. OverRated!!

Ty Hilton ~ 5.10/185 ~ 4th-5th ~ 1st

967667284.jpg

Beast!! I'm amazed that Ty Hilton's looking like a 4th or 5th Rounder, at this point!! Of course we're all just making our best guesses...

Ty Hilton is a little guy with poor Core Strength, so he's gonna have problems at the next level, any time you ask him to Release from the Flanker spot, much less Split End.

But as a Slot End, he should become phenomenal.

Mind you: His Route Running still needs work.

But this is a kid with a full Repertoire of dazzling skills: Short Burst, Fluidity, sharp Verticity and explosive Torsion out'f'is Breaks, and he can fly.

And he gets outstanding grades for Work Ethic, Tenacity, and even Pedigree: His parents are both major Athletes. He will master the Route Tree.

I believe ~ limited mostly to the Slot though he shall be ~ that Ty Hilton will prove to be a dynamic, explosive weapon at the next level. Super Sleeper!!

DeVier Posey ~ 6.2/210 ~ 5th ~ 7th

127029587.jpg

Reserve!! DeVier Posey is a raw and occasionally sloppy Route Runner, one who seems hindered by limited Fluidity, Verticity, and Torsion.

He seems to have issues in his Release, too, not showing much Dexterity or Core Strength.

All in all, I'd have to call him a Late Rounder, though not one without untapped Potential. OverRated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe