PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zack Martin's New Deal and Shaq Mason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. The patriots will find a quarterback who can start at pick 32 or 63. The reality is that this scenario isn't likely.

Consider this last draft. We MIGHT have been able to get a top Brady replacement for 3 firsts.
Sure the one contract his less than Brady. More savings might (or might not) be had by using the 3 firsts and having 3 players on rookie contracts instead of signing vets.

Ummm...what?

ESPN's Mike Reiss expects Patriots RG Shaq Mason to command more than $10 million annually on his next contract.

Bill Belichick's history lessons always made an impression
He’s likely going to get 11-12m a year, in my opinion.

Norwell received 13.3m a year. Zeitler received 12m a year. Obviously, Martin set the bar with his new deal. It would be great to have him for 10m a year, but if the Pats want to do that, they’ll have to get on it quickly. Even then, I think we’d still be getting something of a hometown discount.

Anybody know anything about this kid’s play? Could he possibly be an option to step in as a Shaq Mason “replacement” assuming he leaves in free agency? Also, assuming the 49ers actually release him.

Report: 49ers may cut 2016 first-round draft pick Joshua Garnett

Josh Garnett - San Francisco 49ers - 2018 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

2016 NFL Draft Profile: Joshua Garnett
Seems like if he is released by the Niners it's because he was beaten out for a roster slot by Jonathan Cooper. Remember him?

Anybody know anything about this kid’s play? Could he possibly be an option to step in as a Shaq Mason “replacement” assuming he leaves in free agency? Also, assuming the 49ers actually release him.

Report: 49ers may cut 2016 first-round draft pick Joshua Garnett

Josh Garnett - San Francisco 49ers - 2018 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

2016 NFL Draft Profile: Joshua Garnett
Way over-drafted by the previous FO in SF...Stanford has unenviable rep of "developing" unathletic OLmen, David DeCastro being the exception...likely to be claimed on waivers before ever reaching the Pats.

What a terrible article from PFT. They cited a Q&A session with a local beat writer, who said that if he had to speculate on a surprise cut, then he would pick Garnett.

Ronnie D‏ @DmgzBmt45 Whos your pick if the niners have a surprise cut?

ANSW: The most prominent player in danger of being cut? Guard Joshua Garnett. He's going to have to hold off two players the 49ers acquired as free agents, Mike Person and Jonathan Cooper. Person currently is the team's backup center, which seems to dramatically improve his roster chances.

Yet all offseason, the 49ers have praised Garnett's continued to development and further work in the weight room. I don't think he's really likely to be released -- or at any rate, this article isn't based on actual reports. Shoddy journalism.

You can’t control the market, you can only try to build ahead of it. I think the Wynn pick was the Patriots shoring up LT for the next year or two, but I could see them going OT early next Draft and moving Wynn inside when Mason leaves. Love him as a player but he’s not Mankins and Belichick chafed seriously at paying him, and he was a borderline HOF player.

We sure haven’t paid many recently.

Hightower and that’s just about it.

Mankins had a max contract here though, so don't be surprised by $9m per.

And then we traded him for a sack of beans :D

Tim Wright may not have worked out but the pick they acquired turned into Trey Flowers and the cap savings let them re-up Solder, which helped net a couple of rings. So it's safe to say they got a few steaks and some cold ones along with the beans. ;)

Tim Wright may not have worked out but the pick they acquired turned into Trey Flowers and the cap savings let them re-up Solder, which helped net a couple of rings. So it's safe to say they got a few steaks and some cold ones along with the beans. ;)
I never said they were bad beans

Mankins had a max contract here though, so don't be surprised by $9m per.
In my opinion, Shaq Mason would be foolish to take a deal paying him only 9m a year, when others are receiving 50% more. Obviously, there are other factors such as guarantees etc, but I think he’ll command at least 11-12m a year on the open market.

Then why not cut him?

The reality is that players are paid for expected future performance. I have no problem if Belichick has no interest in Mason at $11-12M. But it won't be because of a poster's interpretation of the who missed a block in the Super Bowl.

Why should we reward him for costing us ring#6 ?

Way over-drafted by the previous FO in SF...Stanford has unenviable rep of "developing" unathletic OLmen, David DeCastro being the exception...likely to be claimed on waivers before ever reaching the Pats.
Yep, that was a Chip Kelly-Trent Balke special.

You can’t control the market, you can only try to build ahead of it. I think the Wynn pick was the Patriots shoring up LT for the next year or two, but I could see them going OT early next Draft and moving Wynn inside when Mason leaves. Love him as a player but he’s not Mankins and Belichick chafed seriously at paying him, and he was a borderline HOF player.
I think you may have forgotten they traded for Trent Brown who will easily win the LT job just by showing up. He's that good and an upgrade over Solder.

Why should we reward him for costing us ring#6 ?
BB, Matt Patricia and the defense cost them ring #6.
In my opinion, Shaq Mason would be foolish to take a deal paying him only 9m a year, when others are receiving 50% more. Obviously, there are other factors such as guarantees etc, but I think he’ll command at least 11-12m a year on the open market.
Anything over $9 is overpaying for a short guard who isn't good at pass blocking. Wynn will slide right in for Mason when the Pats let him walk in FA next year and collect a comp pick.
Then why not cut him?

The reality is that players are paid for expected future performance. I have no problem if Belichick has no interest in Mason at $11-12M. But it won't be because of a poster's interpretation of the who missed a block in the Super Bowl.
It will be shocking if he gets over $10M per year. All the Right Guards that are paid more than $10M have that prototypical size. He's barely 6'1 with short arms and not a very good pass blocker.

Last edited:
It will be shocking if he gets over $10M per year. All the Right Guards that are paid more than $10M have that prototypical size. He's barely 6'1 with short arms and not a very good pass blocker.
We’ve seen tons of examples where even mediocre Patriot players hit free agency and automatically have heightened interest due to the constant prime time exposure, exceptional coaching, big game postseason experience, and overall winning culture. Many of those players are paid handsomely.

In terms of not being a good pass blocker, some of that is overrated. For instance, how many sacks did he give up last year? We all know about his run blocking. If he doesn’t command a good pact on the open market next year, I’d be shocked.

...I have no problem if Belichick has no interest in Mason at $11-12M. But it won't be because of a poster's interpretation of who missed a block in the Super Bowl.
It's not an "interpretation," it's a fact: that was Mason's block, and he failed to execute it.

Another failed Mason pass-block that is overlooked occured on 4th/5 during the 2nd quarter, immediately after the botched Amendola-Brady attempt.

Mason is a goner...no matter what.

If we didn't pay Mankins...we won't pay Mason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes