PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

you're not going to like this : Hail Mary PI on Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. But the Patriots absolutely got away with calls vs the Jags too.

Bill Belichick needs to answer to Robert Kraft ( if he hasn't ) why Butler wasn't in the game.

What calls did they “get away with” vs jax? They got completely screwed on the lewis fumble when he never lost possession with his knee down.

Clement loses control, regrasps the ball with only 1 foot down and the rules are changed during the game again on us.

It clearly is not going to ever end. The pats need to fight through that kind of adversity, and they failed to do it last night. They usually fight through these.

Winning or losing Super Bowls often comes down to a couple favorable/unfavorable calls. We caught a break in the Falcons game last year when they did not call the Ryan face mask which would have resulted in off setting penalties negating the holding call that pushed them out of FG range. We caught a break against Seattle when they missed a DPI when the Pats tripped a WR. In SB 42 they missed a couple obvious holds on the Tyree play which likely wins us the game if they call it. (not saying there were not calls in those games that were missed that would have helped the Pats)

Last night the only one I noticed go in the Pats favor was the Van Noy interference on the 2 point try.

Clement TD, Illegal formation on Foles TD, Ertz pick play and the Hogan non call are a few examples of calls the Pats did not get. Change one or 2 of those calls and we may be celebrating today.

That said - I thought the refs did a good overall job last night.

Definitely a missed call but I can’t get too mad about that. If the defense could stop a nosebleed, they wouldn’t have been in that position.

Except they correctly gambled that it wouldn't be called, so it was in fact a good play.

I recall seeing that last night. Hogan wound up like 5-10 yards to the offensive left of where the ball wound up being thrown. Would've been nice to have the extra body / hands in the pile, obviously.

The Eagles took a calculated risk and it paid off. Since it was Jenkins who did it, I assume that's just part of the defensive strategy of covering a play like that.
On the gif here, you can see where Hogan wound up (and he got shoved a 2nd time as the ball arrived for good measure).

It was a good play. At worst it costs you 5 yards. You generally want to set up a Hail Mary so you have a jump ball guy in the front of the end zone and speedier guys spilling out the back to grab any garbage that tips off. Amendola wasn't fast enough to get behind the defense and he couldn't fight through traffic for the ball even though it actually was an ideal scenario. Hogan may have been able to get around back if he hadn't been knocked off. That's a place where Cooks' absence was felt, but even in ideal circumstances you're talking about a play that maybe works 1-in-20 times.
I always wonder rather than the Hail Mary why not try that old Miami play they threw in against the Chargers..

Have Gronk stop short catch a ball around the 15 with Dola trailing, the D converges on Gronk and he pitches to Dola who runs it in..

this play just a bit deeper:

EDIT: Not PI but should have had another play......just sayin'

If it makes you feel better the Pats got away with a penalty on the Eagles final two point conversion call. If they convert there then this hail mary becomes moot.

Refs sucked last night. I said it.

They always suck, it is just a matter of how bad or how obvious goodell wants to make it.

He changed how the rule is (again) during a game we were involved in..how can the kelvin benjamin call be right and this one also be right?

Goodell will move the goalposts again because he told us article 46 affords him that luxury. The main reason we saw no funny business last year is that he already suspended brady after caught lying in court (again). I kept waiting for his henchmen to strike and they did on that lewis non-fumble and the clement incompletion called a td.

If it makes you feel better the Pats got away with a penalty on the Eagles final two point conversion call. If they convert there then this hail mary becomes moot.

How is that exactly?

OMG it's a hail mary. It's a massive low percentage play last ditch effort anyways.

Rules are rules and all should be enforced or they should just throw out the rule. Don't leave it to the ref or the replay guy to decide after they've had time to think about the outcome of the game..
Either let DB's and receivers battle each other the whole play or call a penalty within the rule. Just don't ignore or call when it's a potentional game changer..

Can't blame the refs for our poor defence.

Philly’s d was just as bad, dude. You are sort of proving the point here. I don’t think changing the rules during a super bowl is fair.

Last edited:
Video source please so we can discuss?
My DVR. I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere else.

But I do find it odd that you would hit the 'disagree' button before rewatching the play.

1. If you want to see something even more egregious, watch what happens to Hogan near the goalline, LOL. That was much worse than the earlier chuck.

2. They don't call PI on Hail Mary's.

My DVR. I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere else.

But I do find it odd that you would hit the 'disagree' button before rewatching the play.

Here you go...........

Here you go...........

Ok, so maybe a tick early but what about the one on gronk early in the game where he was clearly bumped early with no call? Looks like to me they were letting them play and were only going to call egregious plays, which is how it should be.

I want to know why the rules are applied differently, seemingly only to us, during the games.

There is no dispute: clement bobbled, regrasped, and only got one foot down. That is just a fact that as is as indisputable as dion lewis not losing control of the ball, with his knee down vs jax.

Everyone can make a casee for missed calls or ticky tack pi calls, but the application of the rules ro help the opponent is just out of control. I mean, for the non subjective calls, this is why video replay was invented.

Appreciate yourp sourcing which 2 pt conversion. Gilmore made contact with jeffery earlier but also played the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes