PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking like the OL will be: Solder - Kline* - Wendell - Jackson - Vollmer

*Kline over Mason due to experience. I have no issue with Mason playing 6th OL role as a mauler if we have success running against Pitt. Expecting a spread attack to go after their suspect secondary though.

Looking like the OL will be: Solder - Kline* - Wendell - Jackson - Vollmer

*Kline over Mason due to experience. I have no issue with Mason playing 6th OL role as a mauler if we have success running against Pitt. Expecting a spread attack to go after their suspect secondary though.

Mason's been with the 1s most of the preseason. I'd expect him to start.

Erik Scalavino @E_Scal

#patriots starting C Bryan Stork (concussion) is the only player not practicing. His status for Thursday's opener doesn't look good.
Interesting. Would basically put both teams in the same predicament (trying to combat interior pressure absent their starting Center).

Although I still think NE has better pass rushers (not to mention a raucous home crowd) to take advantage of this, it opens the possibility at least that both offenses could be slowed down somewhat in a lower-scoring game than we might expect.

Stork or no Stork, I'd still favor the Pats --heavily-- but that said any upset scenario for Pitt almost has to involve a heavy dose of inside pressure on Brady, coupled with at least reasonable protection for Ben. Maybe Pitt's chances crawl up a bit with this news.

BTW I'm still not convinced that some of Pittsburgh's dinged defensive players (Tuitt, Timmons, Mitchell) will all be a go for Thursday. They are technically all practicing, but some of the injuries (particularly Tuitt's) were significant enough that there were doubts about this game, even as of a few days ago. Pitt also made a curious move this weekend, signing a 7th DL to the roster--kind of a strange maneuver unless they're worried about Tuitt's availability. Something to monitor.

Prediction: NE 41, Pitt 20. I think the emotion of the game for NE, plus Pittsburgh’s obvious defensive deficiencies, will be too much for Pittsburgh’s depleted offense to overcome. NE pulls away in a rout, leaving Pitt to hope for a postseason rematch with a healthier squad/more seasoned D.

My questions for Pats Nation:

· What is the best approach, in your opinion, to attack NE offensively and defensively?
· Do you have any significant concerns going into this game? (Not necessarily just in the matchup with Pittsburgh per se, but for the team as a whole?)
· Just curious: who, exactly, is playing early running back for NE these days?

lillloyd

Our defense will be much different than last year. We don't have Revis/Browner, but i would say were a much faster defense. Our LB corps might be the best in the NFL and we can rush the passer. Just like every team you need to be able to run down the middle and overpower our young d-line. But I truly believe we will have a top 10 defense.

Offensively - get pressure on Brady from the inside and play physical against our WRs. Gronk is unstoppable, just contain him.

All of NE wished the media focus was on the game too. (i'm predicting a closer game, 28-20).
You've got to understand, I dropped in every couple of weeks over the summer waiting for the DG stuff to die down...but every time I did, it was pretty much wall-to-wall DG mayhem on the boards. It never actually ended TBH.

So finally, we have the ruling, and Brady's statements this weekend (which sounded like legit efforts at closure)...and we get all of about 48 hours of "Gate"-free forum time.

I really hope the game itself is good, because the leadup (particularly from a Pitt fan's perspective when you throw in all the injuries and suspensions) has been a bummer. This should have been a high-flying, showcase game that was analyzed to death in the weeks leading up to it.

Instead, the game itself is almost a footnote.

Here's my two cents FWIW....

The loss of Bell and Bryant will be felt in this game.

The Patriots defense will challenge Ben to take the play in front of him time after time by taking away the big play. Without Bryant, the Steelers do not have a player who could consistently pose a significant deep threat.

The Patriots front seven this year looks to be improved from last year. I can see them getting more consistent pressure in the opener, and unfortunately for the Steelers, Bell will not be there as the ultimate safety valve via the dump off. DeAngelo Williams is nowhere near the caliber of player Bell is at this point of his career.

The Steelers have already come out and say they will challenge Gronk at the LOS. Of course, it matters not whether it was said to the press, because the Patriots are the most prepared and detail-oriented team in the NFL.

The issue is do the Steelers have the ammo to take Gronk out of the game? While they do have some impressive players (esp. at linebacker), Gronk is essentially match-up proof until consistently proven otherwise.

The transactions over the weekend at running back seemingly signify that the Patriots will likely spread the Steelers defense out and pick them apart via the pass. Since the team is a bit thin at WR, we may see more 12 personnel Thursday with Gronk/Chandler. The seam rout to the tight end will definitely be one to watch for sure.

Bottom line? I think the game remains close early on before the Patriots bust it open in the second quarter and coast to double digit win. Had Bell and Bryant suited up, then it would have been more of the shootout, but on opening night, after all of the B.S. of this offseason, I expect the Patriots to begin exact sevenfold revenge on the NFL by making another statement in primetime.

35-21 Pats win

Got a feeling this is going to be a sloppy game. Both olines are concerning. Haven't seen much of anything from the Pats on offense. Then again Edelman barely played but 1 quarter, Gronk and Lafell didn't play at all. LaFell isn't going to play until week 6 or 7.

Defense has looked competive and deep in the front 7. Got good competition vs Rodgers and Bree's. Secondary equals I have no clue. That will be the wait and see.

28-24 home team wins.

I see this game as Easley's coming out party, mostly because of Pouncey's status. Our pass rush should be improved this year, and I think Easley will be the biggest factor, moreso than Sheard, Brown, or Chandler Jones.

The only worry I have offensively is that we'll be too 1-dimensional due to Stork's absence. Our running game has been pretty poor without him, and if Kline does start over Mason (which is possible but I don't view it as likely) this could become even more of a problem.

With that being said, I still don't think it's enough to hold us under 30 points. I love the continuity Brady has with his weapons this year. However concerning the O-line may be this week, it won't be as bad as last year when Brady only had Edelman and a hobbled Gronk to rely on in week 1. The lack of chemistry he had with everyone else magnified the O-line struggles. There will be a lot more offensive synergy on the field among Brady and the WRs to open up the year.

Can't see the Patriots losing this game. And with no Bell or Bryant to worry about, I also can't imagine Brown going off. He'll be kept in check.

Air it out with 4 and 5 WR sets.

Defensively, you're probably screwed. You need big safeties or tremendous coverage LBs to face this Patriots TE group.
Thanks for your posts and this discussion. I agree with Deus, 4-5 wide might kill us, particularly if Big Ben gets the ball off early (and he'd better as the Pats' strength on D looks to be our new and improved pass rush).

On D you've got to cover Gronk, Edelman, and perhaps our new addition, Chandler, on every play or Brady will find the open one and kill you (Gronk and Edelman can be covered and still kill you). I predict Bolden will be our runner to start as he has the most experience, but he's nothing special. The Pats have a tendency to start slow and sloppy each year. This may be the Steelers only hope. That and the rain predicted, but even rain usually doesn't bother Brady all that much.

BTW, I just have to say that Dobson is to Pittsburgh what Gray was to Indy. The guy absolutely sucks against anyone else, but he lit up the Steelers last time.

Pittsburgh should be very afraid.

I really hope the game itself is good, because the leadup (particularly from a Pitt fan's perspective when you throw in all the injuries and suspensions) has been a bummer. This should have been a high-flying, showcase game that was analyzed to death in the weeks leading up to it.

Instead, the game itself is almost a footnote.

I so agree with this. Real fans are tired of all the meaningless melodrama and just want the game to be played. I am hoping all the crap dies down after kickoff on Thursday, or at least by Sunday, but I thought it would be over by now. Sigh.

Interesting. Would basically put both teams in the same predicament (trying to combat interior pressure absent their starting Center).

Although I still think NE has better pass rushers (not to mention a raucous home crowd) to take advantage of this, it opens the possibility at least that both offenses could be slowed down somewhat in a lower-scoring game than we might expect.

Stork or no Stork, I'd still favor the Pats --heavily-- but that said any upset scenario for Pitt almost has to involve a heavy dose of inside pressure on Brady, coupled with at least reasonable protection for Ben. Maybe Pitt's chances crawl up a bit with this news.

BTW I'm still not convinced that some of Pittsburgh's dinged defensive players (Tuitt, Timmons, Mitchell) will all be a go for Thursday. They are technically all practicing, but some of the injuries (particularly Tuitt's) were significant enough that there were doubts about this game, even as of a few days ago. Pitt also made a curious move this weekend, signing a 7th DL to the roster--kind of a strange maneuver unless they're worried about Tuitt's availability. Something to monitor.

Forgot to include, may there be a good game on Thursday and no one gets hurt. Hope your guys beat the ratbirds twice this year.

On the flip side, the team has to love what it sees from Mason, who also has center experience should the team call on him to fill that role. Mason was shockingly not invited to the combine, but still got a fifth round grade from me. Billed as a phone booth mauler whose run blocking was obviously ahead of his pass protection coming out of Georgia Tech, Mason’s steadiness as a pass blocker surprised me on tape.

Not that he’ll play, but the Patriots other rookie offensive guard, Tre Jackson, got rag-dolled and gave up inside penetration a lot against Carolina. Just something to file away with so many interior offensive line spots up in the air for New England right now.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/new-england-patriots-offensive-scouting-report/

This would also lead to some discussion...

Forgot to include, may there be a good game on Thursday and no one gets hurt. Hope your guys beat the ratbirds twice this year.
Amen to this, brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back