PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You done messed up A-A-Ron

Here we go again...

PayaTon Manning - the cheating, lying, anti-teammate scumbag horse-faced goober - is NOT "way ahead" of Drew Brees for the "consistent" #2 QB of his era; in FACT, he isn't ahead of him AT ALL. Brees > the Tea-Bagger...Period.

Of course Manning is way ahead. That's not really even debatable. Your feelings, and mine, about Manning as a human being are completely irrelevant to the issue of which has been the better NFL QB. And Brees isn't close to Manning.

Here we go again...

PayaTon Manning - the cheating, lying, anti-teammate scumbag horse-faced goober - is NOT "way ahead" of Drew Brees for the "consistent" #2 QB of his era; in FACT, he isn't ahead of him AT ALL. Brees > the Tea-Bagger...Period.

Drew Brees missed the playoffs 4/5 years in his prime.

Drew Brees missed the playoffs 4/5 years in his prime.
I'm no fan of Manning but he only had 2 under .500 seasons, his rookie and one other. Brees had seven seasons of 7-9 or 8-8....and an additional 9-7.
both had so so defenses but Manning was 188-79 and Brees was 155-108 for wins/losses.
Manning had essentially 2 more wins per year.
Manning had 14 seasons of 10 or more wins, Brees only 8.
Both were .500 QBs in post season
Brees 8-7 with 33/11 TD/int ratio and rating of 100.0
Manning 14-13 with 40:25 ratio and 87.4 rating....

Early ‘83, so it would’ve been the postseason for the 1982 season, which was strike-shortened.
Funny, I was there for the playoff-clincher at Foxborough on the day after New Year's Day while home on leave, but was back at the air station when the PO loss happened the following week ...must've smoked & drunk it out of my mind...

...must've smoked & drunk it out of my mind...
We’ve all been there, Captain.

The good news is that you don’t have a lousy memory of David Woodley beating the team in a postseason game at Miami, so there’s that. Although I remember the SB that year (Miami and Washington), I don’t remember the game either.

Of course Manning is way ahead. That's not really even debatable. Your feelings, and mine, about Manning as a human being are completely irrelevant to the issue of which has been the better NFL QB. And Brees isn't close to Manning.

The Brees - Manning debate is an interesting one to me. Both are one game over .500 in the playoffs (Brees 8-7, Manning 14-13). That's a function of their performance and the overall quality of the teams (including coaching) they've played on.

It's arguable that Brees has accomplished more with less when looking at pure passing stats over his career. Manning had better overall teams throughout his career and, until very recently, more balanced, potent offensive position groups. The last three years, Brees has had great offensive lines and an excellent array of pass catching running backs and receivers.

Manning had that consistently in Indianapolis particularly with Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. Manning then went to an absolutely loaded Denver team on offense and defense at the end of his career, a.k.a., "The Noodle Arm Years." If you put Brees on those Denver teams, he would have had great success and fewer receivers would have gotten killed trying to catch those ducks Manning was floating into the teeth of the defense.

Bullsh.t. I’m a huge Bruins fan, they got beat. Great season for the Bruins but St.Louis finished, and won game 7 in the Garden, When teams play the biggest games they don’t always win them.
post was made a year prior to now

We tend to make fun of guys like Woodley until they beat our team in the postseason with statlines like this:

16/19
2 TDs and 0 INTs
153 QBR
Tony Eason had a few decent stat lines yet people continue to make fun of him

The reality is Manning belongs somewhere on the pantheon of great QBs. As much as I hate the guy, he’s historically notable. Brees is only historically notable because of a longevity counting record that he’ll lose eventually, at which point he is not historically notable any more. Brees is not an all-time great QB. He’s Canton bound and that is a big honor he’s deserving of. But to put him as a top-10 all timer is ignorant of many others who were greater.

Brees won SB MVP in 2009/10.
Rodgers won SB MVP in 2010/11.

Rodgers has had more team success than Brees since then, yet he gets about 1000x more criticism than Brees. Someone will have to explain why one guy is “a choker who can’t win the biggest games or carry a team” while the other is “awww shucks, he’s such a great guy and it wasn’t his fault.” Brees is somehow the most immune athlete in US sports when it comes to criticism. If he’s really a superstar and in the greatest of all-time arguments, why does this guy never get any flack for failing to win championships or even make the playoffs? That choke job in the NFCCG was a choke job, bad call or not. Putrid second half and OT. Anyone who thought Brees was within three classes of Brady should just watch those two conference championship games.

That choke job in the NFCCG was a choke job, bad call or not. Putrid second half and OT. Anyone who thought Brees was within three classes of Brady should just watch those two conference championship games.

This, 1000 times. I don't know that Brees fell off the cliff before our eyes in that 2nd half (truthfully looked like it started a couple of weeks before).

That loss was on Brees. Saints won the toss in overtime, and as anyone connected to the Chiefs will tell you, that's an automatic win for the team that wins the coin toss. They were bailed out the week before by Alshon Jeffrey's butterfingers. Saints couldn't get out of their own way on offense for 3 quarters in that game.

Brees won SB MVP in 2009/10.
Rodgers won SB MVP in 2010/11.

Rodgers has had more team success than Brees since then, yet he gets about 1000x more criticism than Brees. Someone will have to explain why one guy is “a choker who can’t win the biggest games or carry a team” while the other is “awww shucks, he’s such a great guy and it wasn’t his fault.” Brees is somehow the most immune athlete in US sports when it comes to criticism. If he’s really a superstar and in the greatest of all-time arguments, why does this guy never get any flack for failing to win championships or even make the playoffs? That choke job in the NFCCG was a choke job, bad call or not. Putrid second half and OT. Anyone who thought Brees was within three classes of Brady should just watch those two conference championship games.
He’s not an egotistical douche. Sometimes it’s not about the play on the field.

Tony Eason had a few decent stat lines yet people continue to make fun of him
And an 0-6 with 0 yards on the biggest stage of all. Eason was on running teams so he wasn't called on to pass a great deal but his overall stat lines weren't that good.
In the four games of 1985 playoff run, he passed for a TOTAL of 367 yards.
He passed for 300 yards only 7 times in his career, going 2-5 in those games. No comparison but Brady is 72-15 in games in which he threw for 300 plus yards ( 4 of those losses were in 2012) and 12-4 in the playoffs...

Tony Eason Career Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Funny, I was there for the playoff-clincher at Foxborough on the day after New Year's Day while home on leave, but was back at the air station when the PO loss happened the following week ...must've smoked & drunk it out of my mind...

I never smoked or drank so much that I didn't remember what I had done. That goes back to the early 70's.

This, 1000 times. I don't know that Brees fell off the cliff before our eyes in that 2nd half (truthfully looked like it started a couple of weeks before).

That loss was on Brees. Saints won the toss in overtime, and as anyone connected to the Chiefs will tell you, that's an automatic win for the team that wins the coin toss. They were bailed out the week before by Alshon Jeffrey's butterfingers. Saints couldn't get out of their own way on offense for 3 quarters in that game.

The deep pass to Ginn to set the stage for the blown call was such an underground duck that gets picked off way more often than a reception. He was extremely lucky to complete that garbage pass. Brady has never played like that facing elimination. In all the games.

The reality is Manning belongs somewhere on the pantheon of great QBs. As much as I hate the guy, he’s historically notable...
The Only pantheon on which Horse Face belongs is the one for All-Time Most Over-Rated QBs Ever. As for what he is historically notable, I can just imagine...

The Only pantheon on which Horse Face belongs is the one for All-Time Most Over-Rated QBs Ever. As for what he is historically notable, I can just imagine...

Is this Elway or Manning you’re talking about? Horse face is Elway; Fivehead is Manning. I can understand the confusion when talking about the two douchebag, overrated QBs who were dragged by teammates to SB wins for the Broncos.

Is this Elway or Manning you’re talking about? Horse face is Elway; Fivehead is Manning. I can understand the confusion when talking about the two douchebag, overrated QBs who were dragged by teammates to SB wins for the Broncos.

The NYFL took care of Manning by putting him in an all-expansion team division, guaranteeing him an easy trip to the playoffs and most games being played in perfect conditions. That got him into the playoffs, many times with the top seed. He managed to turn that into 9 one-and done playoffs and two SB wins that didn't have much to do with him. It did give him some good regular season numbers though.

When I looked at top ten lists of all-time clutch QB's in the past Manning wasn't listed on any of them. Neither was Aaron Rodgers.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back