PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes, Asiasi and Keene Are Flops

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) We used two top draft picks (3rd rounders) to secure our TE's of the future with contracts through 2023.

2) One year later, Belichick uses $25M a year AAV (with $46.25M guaranteed) to sign TE's for the same contract time period (actually, we have an additional year on Smith's contract.

3) How can the conclusion be anything other than Belichick believed that he change his past evaluation and secure two new TE's?

4) Yes, I expect one our two 2020 3rd rounders to make the team as a #3 TE, or TE/FB/HB. They beat out Izzo and will beat out LeCosse. That is a truly awful return on two 3rd rounders.

Last edited:
1) We used two top draft picks (3rd rounders) to secure our TE's of the future with contracts through 2023.

2) One year later, Belichick uses $25M a year AAV (with $46.25M guaranteed) to sign TE's for the same contract time period (actually, we have an additional year on S Smith's contract.

3) How can the conclusion be anything other than Belichick believed that he change his past evaluation and secure two new TE's.

4) Yes, I expect one our two 2020 3rd rounders to make the team as a #3 TE, or TE/FB/HB. They beat out Izzo and will beat out LeCosse. That is a truly awful return on two 3rd rounders.
Asiasi can be TE3 and Keene can be HBack.

BB saw an opportunity to upgrade the position. That simple.

Flop is harsh. It's been noted on numerous occasions that tight end is a difficult position for a rookie to come in and contribute right away. Both players had injuries following no offseason programs, limited training camp, and no preseason. They then came into an offense that was run first, run second, and run third if it could be justified, and had a QB who really only clicked with two receivers.

The acquisition of Henry and Smith certainly doesn't say they're confident in them making a leap to pro-bowlers in year 2, but we know three things: 1) Belichick had an unusually high amount of money to work with this offseason. 2) He seems to really like 2 tight end sets if he can get the horses to run it. 3) He's had very positive things to say about both vets prior to this offseason. He had the opportunity and means to add two great players to a position grouping he wants to feature. There's a better than average chance that he signs one or both of them, even if the rookies had shown something more than they had.

Does this mean they're guaranteed to improve? Definitely not. Does this mean both make the roster this year? Again, no. But when you want to run two-TE sets, you need more than two tight ends that you feel confident in, and the trade of Izzo has left basically Keene and Asiasi as the only two competing for the depth spot at what has become a critical position for the offense (unless others are seeing more in LaCosse than I am). Looking at all the circumstances from last year and writing them off as flops is premature, IMO.

I don't think the COVID situation helped either of them. No real work prior to camp, very limited preparation, etc. I think that set them both back and it was obvious neither looked overly comfortable in what little we saw them. Not to mention Newton's issues in the passing game likely didn't help either. I haven't written the two off yet, but I agree, the fact he signed not one but two free agents didn't reflect well at all on this.

2) One year later, Belichick uses $25M a year AAV (with $46.25M guaranteed) to sign TE's for the same contract time period (actually, we have an additional year on S Smith's contract.

3) How can the conclusion be anything other than Belichick believed that he change his past evaluation and secure two new TE's.

Oh it's worse than that...Much worse:

Assy-assy & Keane & the Waterpipe for #s 100 & 125 & 129 & 139 & 172, plus #186 this year.

Now THAT's a Truly Awful return.

Fans drool over draft picks. NFL coaches mostly yawn. Very very few rookies contribute to SB teams.

Keene and/or Asiasi might both have good careers, or might both bust. Judging anything regarding them from last year in is a fool's errand, as neither played very much due to injury and other factors. I expect at least one to make the team this year, maybe both, but it's clear that the Pats were throwing darts at the wall in trying to solve some gaping holes.

Meanwhile two up-and-coming, seasoned vets hit the market (Jesse James is still out there, too) and BB had the money so he jumped. Could Asiasi or Keene become as good as either Smith or Henry?

Maybe, but they're years behind the other two in development. Both were given higher grades than Jonnu Smith, though he looks like a superior athlete to either (but it's very close), and Henry was given very high grades coming out.

Bottom line as far as I can tell: BB knows he's only got a few years left and wants to be competitive NOW.

The only "return" I care about is "returning" to the playoffs and the SB.

I hate stupid threads. Why even bother wasting our time with moronic/worthless posts that add nothing to the discussion on the board.
I first thought there has to be something to win for the one who has the most (stupid) threads opened on this board, it has to be close between sb1 and mgteich...

Asiasi can be TE3 and Keene can be HBack.

BB saw an opportunity to upgrade the position. That simple.
Or it was another time BB made a bad draft pick and had to go try and fill it in free agency

Oh it's worse than that...Much worse:

Assy-assy & Keane & the Waterpipe for #s 100 & 125 & 129 & 139 & 172, plus #186 this year.

Now THAT's a Truly Awful return.
Yeah, draft picks that don't work out are a reality for all 32 NFL teams. While it is only one season in we should withhold judgement - but year one didn't look good. Injuries and no offseason workouts certainly didn't help matters.

But when a team trades up to make a pick that doesn't work out - that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

The Pats traded up nine spots to draft Asiasi, packaging a third (#100), fourth (#139) and fifth (#172) for a third (#91, Asiasi) and fifth (#159, Rohrwasser).

Then the Patriots made a three-for-one deal, sending a fourth (#125), another fourth (#129) and a seventh (#186) to move up 24 spots to draft Keene at #101.

Perhaps the Patriots felt they were forced to draft based on need. Okay, but these were the second and fourth tight ends selected in the 2020 draft. Draftwire had them ranked as the #12 and #16 TEs, and SI listed them as #133 and #219 overall.

If you are going to trade away three of your draft picks to move up, you should be doing so for a sure thing.

Thank god these people aren’t in charge of a roster. Otherwise Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi, Eldeman, would never have suited up cuz they would have cut those useless flop busts who produced squat their rookie year. WAY too early to say they should be cut and I still have hope for both though I think Asiasi at least showed a few glimpses versus did Keene even suit up? Still with the assumed switch to a 2 TE base offense, which I am excited about, I don’t think having 4 TEs on the roster would be a bad call. The mismatches you could produce with 3 quality TEs would be pretty fun to watch if one of them does pan out with a full off-season, a real training camp, and some better health luck. Give it some time and enjoy the ride for a change instead of complaining about the engine parts.

sorry this dawned on you so insidiously on a nice may Sunday & caused you so much distress you just had to open another special thread..

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back