PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes, Asiasi and Keene Are Flops

BB himself said that TEs struggle in their first year as they have more to learn than most positions also very few teams give up on players after just one year unless they stink.

BB himself said that TEs struggle in their first year as they have more to learn than most positions also very few teams give up on players after just one year unless they stink.
He did, but then why go out and spend huge money on two TE's then?

I hate stupid threads. Why even bother wasting our time with moronic/worthless posts that add nothing to the discussion on the board.

Irony.jpg

It’s basically a repeat of Chad Jackson being a high pick in 2006 and then Belichick being forced to trade and sign better and established players the next offseason because he sucked.

Are third round picks supposed to always become superstars ? Isn’t it approx 50-50 a third rounder stay in the League ?

As mentioned, BB had the means and the players to upgrade via FA. He drafted two third round TEs and they didn’t amount to much last year.

I don’t think it’s time to give up on both TEs. I don’t think missing on third rounders leads to CLE / NYJ type seasons.

Coach who basically never pays top dollar to for any position in free agency pays top dollar for two players at the same TE position, and mulitiple disastrous seasons for the position.

Patriots honks - "I don't think that means BB doesn't like the TEs he already has, and if he doesn't, it's because of the coronavirus, and if it's not, it's because they were rookies, and if it's not, it doesn't matter because they were 3rd round picks"

rofl.gif

Last edited:
Coach who basically never pays top dollar to for any position in free agency pays top dollar for two players at the same TE position, and mulitiple disastrous seasons for the position.

Patriots honks - "I don't think that means BB doesn't like the TEs he already has, and it he doesn't, it's because of the coronavirus, and if it's not, it's because they were rookies, and if it's not, it doesn't matter because they were 3rd round picks"

rofl.gif
I think Keene can be versatile for us fullback first tight end second, AsiAsi will be a good number 3

They need to show something. From what they gave us last year, I thought trading away Izzo was a mistake. I repeat....they made me miss Izzo. They get some leeway because of the pandemic but I was underwhelmed when they were on the field for sure. I hope they prove me wrong and shine but Devin in particular really looked sluggish.

Are third round picks supposed to always become superstars ? Isn’t it approx 50-50 a third rounder stay in the League ?

As mentioned, BB had the means and the players to upgrade via FA. He drafted two third round TEs and they didn’t amount to much last year.

I don’t think it’s time to give up on both TEs. I don’t think missing on third rounders leads to CLE / NYJ type seasons.

# of years in league per round here

Asiasi can be TE3 and Keene can be HBack.

BB saw an opportunity to upgrade the position. That simple.

Jakob Johnson is miles ahead of him as a full back and Brandon Bolden is Barry Sanders compared to Keene as a HBack.

Folks think that there's no point to threads like this, but feel compelled to post.

I will consider the issues that you raised, both directly and implicitly.

1) Finding major contributors in the draft is essential to success. The average player plays 3.3 years. We need to do BETTER with 3rd rounders. You say that 50% of 3rd rounders stay in the league. What does that mean? If players are a backup for 4 years, than this player helped the team. But the reality is that we hope for significant contributors from players drafted in the first 3 rounds. Hopefully this is where we get lots of our starters and players who have major roles.

2) Let's be clear. Belichick keeps 100% of players draft in the first 4 rounds. Occasionally, Belichick cuts a 2nd year player picked in the first 3 rounds rather than trying them out for one more year by having them make the 53 or the IR.

I THINK that this is relatively rare for Belichick. I would glad to see some names. I thin k that he gives almost all 2nd year players drafted in the first three rounds a second year. This is a significant investment to throw away after only one season.

3) I agree that it is early to judge a draftee. Not all draftees contribute much in the their first year, even when their competition is a 7th rounder.
As I mentioned, Belichick has made his judgement. If he had any faith in either, he would not have spent $25M. However, I do look forward to one of them being a #3 TE or a FB/HB, not much of an upside or return for a 3rd rounder. That's what we expect of an Izzo or Johnson or Vitale.

4) The BOTTOM LINE is that success requires us to have a lot of roster players on their rookie contracts, either draftees or UDFA's. This is the way to keep down costs, so that the team can be paying more for their starters. Pioli calls this "rent control".

5) Sure, some positions bust a lot (QB's and WR's) even when drafted in the first 3 rounds. Others are expected to contribute. We need to do much better than 50-50 finding contributors in those rounds. We make fun of Belichick's 2nd round DB's. The fact that even here many play in the league more than 3 years.

Just typical “woe is me” New England fan drivel. We suck, we have no talent... it was true in 2014, 2016 and 2018... it has to be true now.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back