PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Perhaps the most difficult thing about doing a mock at this stage is the huge inconsistency in rankings between “experts”. Apart from the top 7 or so prospects (Luck, Barkley, RG3, Kalil, Blackmon, Richardson and Claiborne) there doesn’t seem to be any consensus on the rankings on the rest of the players. So I’m going to do 2 mocks. The first is based purely of the NFL Draft Scout Rankings, and I won’t go more than 3 picks over slot. Then I’ll post another mock where I think players will go.

NFL Draft Scout Rankings
NFL Draft 2012 - 2012 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Trades

Hoyer + 2nd (64) to KC for 2nd (45) + 3rd (76)
Haley is gone and Cassel is owed $5.25mil next season, so I think KC could be looking for a new QB. With Pioli still in charge in KC, I think Hoyer is an option for them. Similar to the Whitehurst trade, we swap 2nds and gain a 3rd.

Jermaine Cunningham for 6th
I don’t see Cunningham offering anything to this team in the near future. You can blame it on the scheme change or whatever you want, but the reality is he just isn’t a good enough football player to contribute to this team. He has a horrible first step, has no speed around the edge and from what I’ve heard he feels like an outsider in the locker room. Just move on and hope someone will give you a late round pick based on last year.

1st (27 from NO) to SF? For 2nd (61) + 2013 1st
Similar trade to the Saints one last year, move back to the late 2nd and gain a future 1st. This doesn’t have to be the 49ers, it could be any team looking to move back into the 1st round.

1 (32) to Phi for 2nd (47 from Ari) + 3 (75) + 4 (106)
Phi has extra picks in the 2nd and 4th rounds so they can afford to make a move up. I don’t really love any of the players in the late 1st, but really like some of the guys in the late 2nd, so move back and get some extra picks.

2 (47 from Phi) to NO? for 2 (59) + 4 (123) + 2013 4th
Move to the back of the 2nd round, any team looking to move up into the mid 2nd could be a trading partner.

4 (123 from NO) to ? for 5th + 6th + 7th
Pats don’t have many picks in the last few rounds, so move back with a 4th to get some extras. Any team could be a trading partner.

Picks
(Number after the name is the NFL Draft Scout Ranking)

2 (45) - SS- Mark Barron- Alabama (44)

475775991.jpg

This team really needs to add some talent to the defence, and Barron is a good start. Chung can’t seem to stay healthy, so a guy that can rotate with him and add depth the safety position is very important.

2 (52) - DT- Alameda Ta’amu – Washington (59)

687506067.jpg

Big, physical and athletic DT that could fit both a 3-4 or 4-3 base. Good value at this spot.

2 (59) -FS- TJ McDonald- USC (62)

574825416.jpg

FS is a huge need and I think McDonald is the best in the draft. He has great size and athleticism which allow him to play the deep CF role or match up with TE’s in coverage, and he is a big hitter who also gives you a presence over the middle of the field that the Pats desperately miss. Yes he takes some bad angles and may miss a tackle trying to put on a hit, and some have compared him to Brandon Meriweather, but I’m not concerned. My issue with Meriweather wasn’t that he had these problems; it’s that he refused to adjust and improve; I don’t see McDonald having the same issues.

2 (63) - LB- Vontaze Burfict- Arizona State (63)

821671397.jpg

Yes he has some character concerns, and yes he has a problem controlling his emotions on the field, but he is too talented to pass up at this stage. He has top 10 talent but hasn’t put it all together yet. For that to happen I think he needs a strong, structured environment where he can grow up and concentrate on football. But to be fair to Burfict, he goes to Arizona State, you can’t expect him to not get into any trouble when he goes to the #3 Party School in the Country
Playboy's Top 10 Party Schools In America | Smosh

3 (75) - Devin Taylor- South Carolina

678822459.jpg

Taylor isn’t listed on NFL Draft Scouts Rankings so this is where I think he is rated. Big, athletic and talented DE that I also think has the athleticism to play OLB in a 3-4. He still needs some time for his body to develop to play in the NFL, but he has shown some flashes as a pass rusher and looks very fluid in space. High ceiling, developmental edge rusher.

3 (76) – Cliff Harris- Oregon (91)

553849935.jpg

Character concerns, poor play and lack of size have really dropped Harris’ stock this year. He is a talented cover corner who is a big time playmaker both at corner and as a KR/PR. I think his lack of size means he would struggle against bigger receivers, but I think he would be a great fit as a slot CB. His character is a huge concern, but I think like a lot of college kids he just needs to grow up. Put him in a structured environment and I think he could flourish, and at this stage I think he is worth the risk. Even if he doesn’t work out as a CB, he is still one of the most talented punt returners in the draft.

3 (96) - Vinny Curry- Marshall (102)

6224487.jpg

I don’t know how Curry is rated this low because I think he is a late 1st, early 2nd rounder, but a lot of so called “experts” have him as a 3rd rounder. At this stage he is an absolute STEAL and I wouldn’t hesitate to grab him. I think he can play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB and do a lot of things to help this team.

4 (106) - Mike Brewster – Ohio State (129)

285995449.jpg

While I don’t think C is as big of a need as I did earlier in the year, but the value is just too good to pass up here. He might not be the next Mangold, but I don’t think his stock has dropped this far. He is still a smart and talented C that I think will have a good career in the NFL.

4 (122) - Michael Williams- Alabama

Defenses-dominate-LSU-Alabama-showdown-F9IFP78-x-large.jpg

Not listed by NFL Draft Scout, but I really like Williams at TE. He is a monster blocker that has been a big part of the success of Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, but I think he also has some underutilized talent as a receiver. I see him as a poor man’s Gronk or Brandon Pettigrew.

5th- CB- Trumaine Johnson- Montana (163)

117298176.jpg

Trumaine Johnson is one of the most physically gifted CB’s in this draft, but lack of competition and some character concerns have hurt his stock. I think he could add a lot of versatility to the defence with his size and ability to play press man coverage. I think a CB group with Johnson and Dowling to play press man coverage, McCourty and Arrington to play zone, and Cliff Harris as the slot CB, this defence would be a lot more talented and versatile.

*** Broken In Half!! ***

6th- WR- Greg Childs- Arkansas (214)

797887347.jpg

Childs has really gained some momentum on the board here over the past week or so. He obviously hasn’t returned to top form after injury ended his season last year, which has resulted in Childs not really contributing a lot this year. But based off last year’s tape I really like him. He has good size and versatility, but what I like the most is his natural ability to create separation. He is a late round pick and definitely worth the risk.

6th- WR- Juron Criner- Arizona (217)

755583336.jpg

I have no idea how Criner is ranked this low, but if he is available here it’s a no brainer. He is my favourite WR in this draft and I think he is a great fit for this offence. He’s got good size and can catch the deep ball, but also plays with great speed and is very effective on short and intermediate routes. I think he is more likely a late 2nd or 3rd rounder.

7th- OT- Josh Oglesby- Wisconsin (431)

551573137.jpg

Top OT recruit out of high school a few years ago, Oglesby hasn’t lived up to the high expectations because of some terrible injury luck. I still think the talent is there, and I think he is worth the risk as a 7th rounder. Give Dante a big, athletic RT and see what he can turn him into. If he wasn’t 6’7” I think he would make a great OG.

UDFA- DT- Asa "Mile Wide" Chapman- Liberty

asa-chapman.jpg

6’4” 385lbs, that’s all you need to know

Exquisitely done, Brother Wilfork.

As usual.

Notes

1 ~ You've rolled Hoyer for #76 ~ Book Value: 210 Points ~ and the difference between #64 and #45 ~ Book Value: 180 Points ~ for a total of 390 Book Value Points, or #51...That's more than I expect to get for'm, but it's within the realm of reality, I'd say, if we can feature him ~ and Mallett, I hope!! ~ in Week 17...

2 ~ I dig that you're the first one here to publicly Wright Off Cunningham ~ to "Take The Pain", in Sargent Barnes's lexicon...Personally, I'm still inclined to keep him around as Dark Horse and outside guy, even though I'm looking to draft around him, and count on him for NOTHING...but I like the fact that you're the first one EMBRACING the loss...takes BALLS...and Vision.

3 ~ LOVE all the Trade Downs!! VERY Bobby Fischer...Many fans are unhappy with the Trade Down business at this point, but I believe that any shortcomings, ere the last few years ~ Price, Tate, McKenzie, Butler, and the like ~ are a failure in SCOUTING...and in EVALUATION ~ looking at YOU, Mad Bill!! ~ and NOT in Trading Philosophy.

Charlie Campbell from Walter has a 3 rounder out. Doubling up on pass rushers and wr's interesting. And, getting a safety.

1a Brandon Jenkins - DE - Fla St
1b Mark Barron - S - Alabama
2a Tommy Streeter - WR - Miami
2b Shea McClellin - DE/OLB - Boise
3 Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma

If we went by this premis and his board. We could get this haul instead. Who ya got picken em? Me or Charlie?

1a Vinny Curry - DE - Marshall -
1b Kendall Wright -WR - Baylor
2A Robert Lester - FS - Alabama
2b Andre Branch - DE/OLB - Clemson

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Mock Draft - Charlie Campbell

Charlie Campbell from Walter has a 3 rounder out. Doubling up on pass rushers and wr's interesting. And, getting a safety.

1a Brandon Jenkins - DE - Fla St
2a Tommy Streeter - WR - Miami
2b Shea McClellin - DE/OLB - Boise

If we went by this premis and his board. We could get this haul instead. Who ya got picken em? Me or Charlie?

1a Vinny Curry - DE - Marshall -
1b Kendall Wright -WR - Baylor
2A Robert Lester - FS - Alabama
2b Andre Branch - DE/OLB - Clemson

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Mock Draft - Charlie Campbell

I want a combination of both your attempts so...

1A Mark Barron
1B Kendall Wright
2A Robert Lester
2B Andre Branch (He doesn't have Cam Johnson in his first three rounds who I really like)
3 - Casey Hayward

PATSFANINPA- like Curry,Wright,Lester- would replace Branch & Broyles with Fletcher Cox DT/DE & Derek Wolfe DT/DE

Exquisitely done, Brother Wilfork.

As usual.

Notes

1 ~ You've rolled Hoyer for #76 ~ Book Value: 210 Points ~ and the difference between #64 and #45 ~ Book Value: 180 Points ~ for a total of 390 Book Value Points, or #51...That's more than I expect to get for'm, but it's within the realm of reality, I'd say, if we can feature him ~ and Mallett, I hope!! ~ in Week 17...

2 ~ I dig that you're the first one here to publicly Wright Off Cunningham ~ to "Take The Pain", in Sargent Barnes's lexicon...Personally, I'm still inclined to keep him around as Dark Horse and outside guy, even though I'm looking to draft around him, and count on him for NOTHING...but I like the fact that you're the first one EMBRACING the loss...takes BALLS...and Vision.

3 ~ LOVE all the Trade Downs!! VERY Bobby Fischer...Many fans are unhappy with the Trade Down business at this point, but I believe that any shortcomings, ere the last few years ~ Price, Tate, McKenzie, Butler, and the like ~ are a failure in SCOUTING...and in EVALUATION ~ looking at YOU, Mad Bill!! ~ and NOT in Trading Philosophy.

Not a bad idea for a project and you are absolutely correct about his talent...High school - Rated No. 1 offensive tackle and No. 10 overall player (including No. 1 in Wisconsin) in the nation by Rivals.com … he was also voted a First team OL by the big ten coaches but has knee problems. A big question is about the Pats OLT is Vollmer whose injuries are too consistent and we made need to strongly look at a new tackle to play with Solder, who is a OL stud, in the future.

Vollmer's injury stats this year:
12/18/2011 T (back, foot) out
12/11/2011 T (back, foot) out
12/4/2011 T (back, foot) out
11/27/2011 T (back) questionable
11/21/2011 T (back) questionable
11/13/2011 T (back) questionable
11/6/2011 T (back) questionable
10/30/2011 T (back) questionable
10/16/2011 T (back) questionable
10/9/2011 T (back) Doubtful
10/2/2011 T (back) out
9/25/2011 T (back) out
9/18/2011 T (back) questionable
9/12/2011 T (back) questionable

Last edited:
Not a bad idea for a project and you are absolutely correct about his talent...High school - Rated No. 1 offensive tackle and No. 10 overall player (including No. 1 in Wisconsin) in the nation by Rivals.com … he was also voted a First team OL by the big ten coaches but has knee problems. A big question is about the Pats OLT is Vollmer whose injuries are too consistent and we made need to strongly look at a new tackle to play with Solder, who is a OL stud, in the future.

10/2/2011 T (back) out
9/25/2011 T (back) out

It's possible that Cannon was brought in to be the RT of the future.

Mocks just got more interesting after todays results. My early and probably inaccurate reading of the current draft order has Washington and Miami picking behind Tampa, Jacksonville and Cleveland, three teams who could fall in love with Barkley and RGIII. Skins and 'Phins fans are getting very nervous.

As for the Patriots, ordering by seeding alone, I have them picking #30 and #31. If so, do you see these picks as less or more tradeable?

It's possible that Cannon was brought in to be the RT of the future.

personally i don't think so. if you watch some of the snaps he was in today (i know hes just a rookie) but he was beat badly a few times by dumerville but either brady got the ball off or it was a run play so it wasn't so evident

Mocks just got more interesting after todays results. My early and probably inaccurate reading of the current draft order has Washington and Miami picking behind Tampa, Jacksonville and Cleveland, three teams who could fall in love with Barkley and RGIII. Skins and 'Phins fans are getting very nervous.

As for the Patriots, ordering by seeding alone, I have them picking #30 and #31. If so, do you see these picks as less or more tradeable?

TB is all the way up to 6th now. Based on last weeks SOS and current records. Jax has Indy at home. I think they win that. I think Cleveland loses to Pitt and Baltimore sliding them up to 4th pick. I feel they hold the key to the qb situation. They don't have to trade up to 2nd. Because if a qb doesn't go 2nd. Matt Kalil could go there. They automatically get one. Wait and see if someone trades up for 2nd. If Miami or Washington does. Then you have to move from 4 to 3. I'm sure St. Louis would be willing to move down a slot because they don't need a qb. Would the compensation be Cleveland's 2nd, or the 1st from Atlanta??

1. Indy 1-13
2. Minnesota 3-11
3. St. Louis 3-11
4. Jacksonville 4-10
5. Cleveland 4-10
6. Tampa Bay 4-10
7. Washington 5-9
8. Carolina 5-9
9. Buffalo 5-9
10. Miami 5-9
11. Philadelphia 6-8
12. Kansas City 6-8

As far as us trading one of our firsts. I thought with 100pct certainty we would trade that 33rd pick last year and we didn't. Who knows? Someone might move up for Tanneyhill in that area.

A big question is about the Pats OLT is Vollmer whose injuries are too consistent and we made need to strongly look at a new tackle to play with Solder, who is a OL stud, in the future.

10/2/2011 T (back) out
9/25/2011 T (back) out

Can you please splain that one to me? Injuries are too consistent?? Ya know. Once you hurt your foot. It stats hurt until it's healed. Listing it week by week is ridiculous. Same with his back. It's bothered him all year. Not going to get better next week. So, you can put that date down too. One can be worried about his back. He had some problems in college. Why the hell are you worried about a foot injury? Light is signed for next year. I believe Vollmer will come back and even if he doesn't. We're ok for next year. We need DEFENSE!!

TB is all the way up to 6th now. Based on last weeks SOS and current records. Jax has Indy at home. I think they win that. I think Cleveland loses to Pitt and Baltimore sliding them up to 4th pick. I feel they hold the key to the qb situation. They don't have to trade up to 2nd. Because if a qb doesn't go 2nd. Matt Kalil could go there. They automatically get one. Wait and see if someone trades up for 2nd. If Miami or Washington does. Then you have to move from 4 to 3. I'm sure St. Louis would be willing to move down a slot because they don't need a qb. Would the compensation be Cleveland's 2nd, or the 1st from Atlanta??

1. Indy 1-13
2. Minnesota 3-11
3. St. Louis 3-11
4. Jacksonville 4-10
5. Cleveland 4-10
6. Tampa Bay 4-10
7. Washington 5-9
8. Carolina 5-9
9. Buffalo 5-9
10. Miami 5-9
11. Philadelphia 6-8
12. Kansas City 6-8

As far as us trading one of our firsts. I thought with 100pct certainty we would trade that 33rd pick last year and we didn't. Who knows? Someone might move up for Tanneyhill in that area.

Cleveland at #4 and also holding Atlanta's first, they are in prime position to pry Luck from Indy, if they so desire.

Another draft by ME:

many tradedowns so I'll just give the picks without the details.

1. Mark Barron SS - hopefully he can stay on the field and be good enough in pass defense. I don't see why not.

2. Dwight Jones? WR UNC - if he tests out well intelligence wise as being able to learn new offenses. Another idea is Marvin McNutt (who is a little bit of a nut) in the 4th. McNutt is not as fast as Howard but has great hands and is supposed to be pretty smart as a former QB.

2b. Cam Johnson DE Virginia, could be a good 3-4 OLB I think
or Vinny Curry

3a. Casey Heward CB - Vandy -

4. Trenton Robinson FS Michigan State
4b. Jarius Wright WR Arkansas

5. derek wolfe - DE Cincy

[edit]
i've already grown disenchanted with it.

I think he will draft:

1a. Upshaw
2a. Barron
2b. Dwight Jones and the rest as i have above

I think BB will be in love with upshaw's ability to set an edge and be very good rushing the qb.

Last edited:
Here's a 4 rounder from Draftek. All defense at the top. Hard to argue with any of their picks. About as good as I've seen from a national perspective picking for us.

1A Alameda Ta'amu - DL - Washington

1B Janoris Jenkins - CB - N Alabama formerly of Florida

2A Vinny Curry - OLB/DE - Marshall

2B Robert Lester - FS - Alabama

3 Ben Jones - C - Georgia

4 Marvin McNutt - WR - Iowa

Ta'amu and Curry probably would let us run a 3-4 or a 4-3. Helps the secondary too. Gets a couple of guys to help on the offense.

NFL Draft Mock 2012 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

Still my favorite mock so far.

Still my favorite mock so far.

Ta'amu and Curry probably would let us run a 3-4 or a 4-3. Helps the secondary too. Gets a couple of guys to help on the offense.

------
well janoris jenkins is a little bit of a bad egg, so he's a no go. Is the first guy really that different than Brace? about the same size.

I like the rest of the picks. McNutt is a little nutty but he's very productive and has great hands. I think he'd be smart enough to learn the system.

------
well janoris jenkins is a little bit of a bad egg, so he's a no go. Is the first guy really that different than Brace? about the same size.

I like the rest of the picks. McNutt is a little nutty but he's very productive and has great hands. I think he'd be smart enough to learn the system.

Brace is ok if not often injured. I admire how Ta"amu played through a broken hand this season and still was the best player on his team despite being double and tripled on a crappy team. A papercut would keep Brace out and I doubt Brace even goes in the 2nd round if Raji was playing beside him help him showcase a little bit.

Seriously though I don't really know Brace's injuries or what they were. He's been frustrating to say the least so far. I like Myron Pryor a lot better than him who unfortunately also can't seem to stay on the field.

Nepatriots.com has a new mock out today. Not crazy about this one. Looks like back to the 3-4 with their selections. Which is cool. But, where's out 2-gap end and safety??

1a Dontae Hightower - ILB - Alabama - I guess I'm holding out hope for Spikes. I don't see Hightower as a 3 down player. Some think he can swing to olb in pass rushing situations. If he can do that fine. But, when he runs a 4.9 forty at the combine it's not going to look practical.

1b Vinny Curry - OLB/DE - Marshall - Like this pick. Can play either scheme de in a 4-3 or olb in a 3-4.

2a Leonard Johnson - CB - Iowa St

2b Joe Adams - WR - Arkansas - I like this kid. If you saw him play. Tremendous footspeed. Showed on punt returns, reverses and passes. Maybe, a DeSean Jackson type athlete.

2012 NFL Mock Draft | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2012 NFL Draft

I might go something like this.

1a Fletcher Cox - DE - Miss St

2a Nick Perry - OLB/DE - USC

2b Andre Branch - OLB/DE - Clemson

Doubling up on olb in the 2nd because I didn't get one in the first. Trying that Gronk/AHern and Vereen/Ridley strategy at that position.
No prob with a wr like Joe Adams at 2b. Our defense is just painful to watch.

Rob Rang has a 1round mock out today too. He's warming up. Fletcher Cox DT and Melvin Ingram - DE. Ingram seems like a 4-3 end to me. What I like about him is his flexibility to move around. That's a nice deep defensive front. Ingram, Wilfork, Love and A. Carter. Depth would be; Cox, Brace, Mark Anderson and Deaderick.

NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Let's get a safety and an olb who can run in the 2nd. Maybe, a cb in the 3rd

Rob Rang has a 1round mock out today too. He's warming up. Fletcher Cox DT and Melvin Ingram - DE. Ingram seems like a 4-3 end to me. What I like about him is his flexibility to move around. That's a nice deep defensive front. Ingram, Wilfork, Love and A. Carter. Depth would be; Cox, Brace, Mark Anderson and Deaderick.

NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Let's get a safety and an olb who can run in the 2nd. Maybe, a cb in the 3rd

Great Blue North's Draft Order ~ Week 15!!

1 Indianapolis 1-13 .536
2 Minnesota 2-12 .567
3 St. Louis 2-12 .589
4 Jacksonville 4-10 .500
5 Cleveland 4-10 .522
6 Tampa Bay 4-10 .545
7 Washington 5-9 .469
8 Carolina 5-9 .504
9 Miami 5-9 .518
10 Buffalo 5-9 .522
11 Philadelphia 6-8 .500
12 Kansas City 6-8 .513