PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ya Wanna See the Definition of "Homer"???

Status
Not open for further replies.
shmessy said:
I wrote Victor Kiam a question back in 1989. It read ""Dear Mr. Kiam, besides the team itself, what are your favorite Patriots possessions? Why does the national media write such bad things about you and our front office? I can't thank you enough for all the great investments you've made in our team and the amenities in our stadium. Why do you rule so awesomely?"

Yeah....visiting Extremeskins.com brings it all back for me........those were good days.

OK, OK! Let it not be said that Brits can't appreciate irony.

But it's tough rooting for a team whose ownership is so awful -- you have to have some sympathy. Anyway, I suppose that the "why don't you do everyone a favour and leave for Alaska" posts would have been cut off at source.

Last edited:
stinkypete said:
It's easy to take a preseason loss and dismiss it as evaluation and some coordinators tinkering.

However, there is no silver lining to be found when you lose 41-0. I know we Pats fans are homers to the max, but if the score were reversed, we'd be running around in a panic like the building was on fire.

Was the game an evaluation of Brunell? Maybe. If so he evaluated poorly. Sure Clinton Portis was injured, but TJ Duckett showed he can't run against a powerful front 7. Was the game used to experiment with a new Gregg Williams defensive gimmick? Probably, but it didn't work.

It's easy to take a preseason win and consider it as proof our team quality. I wonder too how did we respond to our loss to Bengals 2 years ago in preseason.

Mike the Brit said:
OK, OK! Let it not be said that Brits can't appreciate irony.

But it's tough rooting for a team whose ownership is so awful -- you have to have some sympathy. Anyway, I suppose that the "why don't you do everyone a favour and leave for Alaska" posts would have been cut off at source.

Rooting for a team is one thing. Financially supporting a wart of an owner is another. The sheep who live around me lick this idiot's shoes every day. I can honestly say that Snyder would NEVER get away with his act in New England.

The Redskin fanbase is a beautiful thing. This is a very transient area people-wise and the Redskins are really the only thing that truly brings the metro area (don't forget, we're talking a Red state, a Blue state and DC) together as a community. When the camera pans FedEX field you see many people of many groups all together screaming their lungs out for a team they truly love.

All the more tragic that this mouth sore of a corporate raider (who by the way is in the process of dismantling and bankrupting Six Flags Amusements as we speak - - http://www.slate.com/id/2144783/) is reaching so deeply into the pockets of the fanbase.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
Rooting for a team is one thing. Financially supporting a wart of an owner is another. The sheep who live around me lick this idiot's shoes every day. I can honestly say that Snyder would NEVER get away with his act in New England.

The Redskin fanbase is a beautiful thing. This is a very transient area people-wise and the Redskins are really the only thing that truly brings the metro area (don't forget, we're talking a Red state, a Blue state and DC) together as a community. When the camera pans FedEX field you see many people of many groups all together screaming their lungs out for a team they truly love.

All the more tragic that this mouth sore of a corporate raider (who by the way is in the process of dismantling and bankrupting Six Flags Amusements as we speak - - http://www.slate.com/id/2144783/) is reaching so deeply into the pockets of the fanbase.

Great stuff!

A question. Historically, I believe, the Redskins were the most racist professional football team (last to accept black players as equals). Yet when I've watched Redskin games it seems to me that they have perhaps the highest proportion of African American fans. Are my impressions correct?

Mike the Brit said:
Great stuff!

A question. Historically, I believe, the Redskins were the most racist professional football team (last to accept black players as equals). Yet when I've watched Redskin games it seems to me that they have perhaps the highest proportion of African American fans. Are my impressions correct?

True, Mike. The Redskins were, until the late 60's the NFL's southernmost franchise on the east coast.

However, like much of the South today, race relations are actually quite a bit smoother than in the North. What struck me most when I moved to the area from Boston in 1988 was the easy integration in all facets of life down here. In Boston (at least in the 70's and 80's - I believe it's better now) it was far more stilted.

Like the old **** Gregory joke/observation:

"In the South, they don't care how close we live to them - - just don't get too successful. In the North, they don't care how successful we get, just don't live too close".

I believe that's a lot less prevalent today, but it still exists.

Last edited:
Haven't bothered to check, but I wonder if anybody over there is going to mention this in the whole "we lost on purpose" theory.
Quote of the Week III

"It stinks. We are in bad moods. It is not OK. We will go through the film in detail. We will get screamed at, and we will probably be in full pads next week. It is serious. Losing is a big deal."
-- Washington wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, after the Redskins' 41-0 loss at New England dropped them to a horrendous-looking 0-3 in the preseason, during which Washington has been outscored 87-17.

Great quote, T-shirt....I believe that was also the prevailing sentiment when they lost the week before to the Jets. All week long it was discussed how important the upcoming Pats game was, etc. etc. No one was throwing around the "I bet they'll throw the next game on purpose too!" line.

shmessy said:
I'm practically speechless.

Note the unanimous Amen Choir!

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166190

I thought the post wasn't that bad... a few point were he is being a homer by putting a positive spin (ie. the coaches meant to put the players in a bad situation to see how they resonded) instead of admitting that the execution and/or scheming was bad.

Still, mostly a reasonable opinion as far as I am concerned... especially if you consider that 99% of the rest of the posts on that site are overwhelmingly negative... looking at the post in that backdrop, it is not shocking. The post had a "we lost on purpose" feel to it that I think is just plain silly, but the detailed observations were good and mostly accurate.

Last edited:
Handel said:
It's easy to take a preseason win and consider it as proof our team quality. I wonder too how did we respond to our loss to Bengals 2 years ago in preseason.

I always say pre-season is pre-season. I didn't panic two years ago when the Pats lost to the Bengals and I'm not saying the Pats are going to go 16-0 this year either.

I work in the DC area and can tell you first hand the fans over here are delusional. In spite of how poorly the 'Skins have played in preseason, some of my co-workers still think they're going to the playoffs. One guy went so far as to place a bet at Caesars that they'll make the Super Bowl. I think they're insane.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
I thought the post wasn't that bad... a few point were he is being a homer by putting a positive spin (ie. the coaches meant to put the players in a bad situation to see how they resonded) instead of admitting that the execution and/or scheming was bad.

Still, mostly a reasonable opinion as far as I am concerned... especially if you consider that 99% of the rest of the posts on that site are overwhelmingly negative... looking at the post in that backdrop, it is not shocking. The post had a "we lost on purpose" feel to it that I think is just plain silly, but the detailed observations were good and mostly accurate.

Did you read the following 37 consecutive posts in that thread? I don't know WHERE you get the 99% negativity score on that website (certainly wasn't from the fawning "Submit your questions for Mr. Snyder" thread) My point wasn't merely about the initial (as you put it) "plain silly" post. The 38th voice finally called out that the Emporer was buck naked and, for that, was subsequently barbecued by the faithful. Good times.

Last edited:
"You give a guy like Brady who was going to the line with a ton of time left on the clock, and he can see where your blitzes are coming from, its no wonder he picked us apart."

One skins fan at work manned up n admitted they sucked. "Now they'll be winning when regular season starts, but they're definitely struggling to get up to game speed..." He also said you cannot play like that against the Patriots, and kept expressing how "deep" the Pats are. Then he asked how long they'd been developing Patric Cobbs, and why they even had to draft Maroney.

:bricks:

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes