PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WWE chasing Gronk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curran on BST saying both Brady and Gronk were increasingly unhappy here this season due largely, but not exclusively, to the Guerrero situation. I think Curran really believes that this franchise is headed for a precipitous crash, and sooner rather than later. He's been strangely negative lately.
Clearly Curran is an apostate in league with the heretic Wickersham. Burn the witch!

But on the serious side, between what Curran, Bedard, and other beat writers were saying both just before the Wickersham piece dropped and in its immediate aftermath, the Globe piece on Guerrero, this Gronk thing, Kraft admitting "tensions" (while denying "dysfunction"), etc., I'm convinced there are some negative things going on that haven't happened before.

How bad it is? Will it blow up in the offseason? Who knows. But I believe it is more than just writers' speculation.

But on the serious side, between what Curran, Bedard, and other beat writers were saying both just before the Wickersham piece dropped and in its immediate aftermath, the Globe piece on Guerrero, this Gronk thing, Kraft admitting "tensions" (while denying "dysfunction"), etc., I'm convinced there are some negative things going on that haven't happened before.

How bad it is? Will it blow up in the offseason? Who knows. But I believe it is more than just writers' speculation.
Oh, I agree. There was definitely something going on for sure that was unprecedented. I should have included stuff from Curran not directly related to the " tension" issue. For example, he has stated repeatedly that he thinks the Patriots' talent level of their reserve players is really inferior, he thinks the receiving corp's advanced age level is a serious problem, that beyond Gronk the TE group is really poor (agree there) that there will be mass defections of coaching and front office personnel in the near future, and seemingly on and on.

I'm too lazy to look up the details, but I believe Barber was on a post-football career arc that would have been similar to what Michael Stahan has been doing. Then Tiki was caught cheating on his wife when she was 8 or 9 months pregnant and that, rightfully, derailed whatever high profile TV future he had.

The way he ended his tenure with the Giants pretty much wrecked his Strahan like arc if it ever existed.

that there will be mass defections of coaching and front office personnel in the near future, and seemingly on and on.

That brings to mind a recent Jason LaCanfora (yes, I know, grains of salt) piece where he mentioned, almost in passing, that "what everyone lives in fear of" is when the throne passes to Jonathan and that that's when the big exodus will happen.

Stupid Gronk situation is bugging the hell out of me.

Stupid Gronk situation is bugging the hell out of me.

It will be over one way or the other around FA start.

If he doesn't clearly signal until then that he intends to play this year he will be traded. Either way this will not drag on beyond the middle of March.

It will be over one way or the other around FA start.

If he doesn't clearly signal until then that he intends to play this year he will be traded. Either way this will not drag on beyond the middle of March.
Yeah, I’m sure it will be over soon like you said, but I’m not gonna lie, the situation has me concerned. Is Belichick going to bend again and sweeten the deal? I think he should, but we both know that he can be a stubborn man for the good of the overall team.

It just seems like we’re obviously a much better team with Gronk than without him, and that both sides may dig their heels in a bit. If that’s the case, he could be gone and that would be a shame.

Yeah, I’m sure it will be over soon like you said, but I’m not gonna lie, the situation has me concerned. Is Belichick going to bend again and sweeten the deal? I think he should, but we both know that he can be a stubborn man for the good of the overall team.

It just seems like we’re obviously a much better team with Gronk than without him, and that both sides may dig their heels in a bit. If that’s the case, he could be gone and that would be a shame.

Maybe I am too naive but I honestly dont think this is really about money but about Gronk slowly realizing that he is closer to the end than the beginning of his career and reflecting about the toll the injuries have taken already.

Of course I might be wrong and it totally is a leverage play for more money.

Maybe I am too naive but I honestly dont think this is really about money but about Gronk slowly realizing that he is closer to the end than the beginning of his career and reflecting about the toll the injuries have taken already.

Of course I might be wrong and it totally is a leverage play for more money.
You could be right, although I think a better offer could definitely help to bring him around. After all, he wasn’t happy about the fact that the final years of his deal were going to be a downgrade in pay, and wasn’t afraid to voice that opinion in early March 2016.

He wanted the big front loaded pact and then when the team friendly portion came up he openly criticized it. Considering that the WWE would only pay him a couple of million dollars this year, hopefully he’s smart enough to realize that he’s still got some seed planting in his transition phase from football to whatever he may want to do afterwards, and play for another couple of seasons.

Just seems a bit odd considering that he switched up his training to include more of the TB12 method, then went on to have an awesome all pro season where he remained fairly healthy. He was just discussing how good he felt in the month of December and how it was one of his best years in a while.

Just seems a bit odd considering that he switched up his training to include more of the TB12 method, then went on to have an awesome all pro season where he remained fairly healthy. He was just discussing how good he felt in the month of December and how it was one of his best years in a while.

And then he got absolutely destroyed on that concussion...

The reason why I dont think money would be too much of an issue is because the Pats have already shown this year that they are open to amend his contract to make him earn more. If this is truly just about money I have no doubt it will be resolved sooner or later.

I really don’t understand why this isn’t a bigger story. It really seems that there is a very real risk that Gronk is gone.

Edit: lol Not five minutes after I posted this Gronk tweets out the tag line for the next big WWE PPV

Last edited:
Am I the first to say:

#ScrewGronk

Seriously ... live your life as you please - you earned and deserve it.

But stop the game playing ... it's juvenile and I for one would not overpay for a huge injury risk.

That brings to mind a recent Jason LaCanfora (yes, I know, grains of salt) piece where he mentioned, almost in passing, that "what everyone lives in fear of" is when the throne passes to Jonathan and that that's when the big exodus will happen.
Jonathan already is on the "throne," albeit behind the scenes. Bob eventually stepping down from the role of franchise spokesman will change nothing in how things are run.

As for Gronk and WWE: it would be like Richard Burton on a TV sitcom or Michael Jordan joining the Harlem Globetrotters. Silly carnival nonsense. I'd have no interest.

Last edited:
This smells like contract posturing to me. Trouble for Rob is that he better be willing to cut the cord with the NFL if he's going to play this game with Belichick.

Just imagine behind the scenes NFL ops stooges working WWE to sweeten the deal to get Gronkowski out of football....

if Gronk wants to travel the country doing shows every other day, living out of a bus for a 5th of the money he'd make as a patriot, while still maintaining a high injury probability, let him.

He owes us nothing.

All i ask is he commits one way or the other.

Maybe it's just me but Gronk does not seem to be a WWE type of personality to me at all. I think it will be a train wreck if he does make the jump there.

Understandable he is assessing his career though after a concussion.

With that said I hope we’re not going to see a Lebron style The Decision drama with Gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News