PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WWE chasing Gronk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Not that Gronk would be working 300 days a year like Steve Austin and Mick Foley did in their glory days, but even bumping once or twice a week all year long on that sheet of plywood would wreck his body. Plus there is no off-season for recovery...he'd be a mess.

The non comments from Gronk are starting to get louder, though. I get taking time to think things over, but we're two weeks removed. I'd figure he'd have leaked some kind of update one way or the other by now.

He could be on a Lesnar deal. Rarely wrestle, only do massive events and get a huge paycheck. Shoot, if Gronk did WWE, they'd prolly bill him to take down Lesnar as rumor has it that he may go back into UFC.

Although, Gronk would have a real long way to go to get upto speed on the technique of performance wrestling. Then again, he's enough of a freak athlete to grasp it quickly, if anyone.

So is the NFL. The difference is that he is in a position in the NFL where guys are literally playing him differently in a more risky way that makes him more prone to injuries because they can't take him down. In WWE he'd have the benefit of guys trying to protect him.

However, I wouldn't do it if I was in Gronk's position.
True. WWE talent perform 200 times a year. Daunting for an injury prone spine.

If he's considering leaving football to preserve his body, wrestling would be just about the last job he'd want to enter into. His back, especially, would be equally ****ed in the WWE, but for far less money, fame, and competition.

Do pro wrestlers get CTE?

Given a choice, I'll take a few disc herniations over brain damage any day.

I think he actually will retire. Nothing to base it on just a gut feeling

True. WWE talent perform 200 times a year. Daunting for an injury prone spine.
Maybe they did in the 80’s. Gronk wouldn’t do anything close to that.

He’d never of rarely work house shows. He’d probably show up to Raw maybe 35-45 times a year. He’s maybe wrestle on 12 ppvs a year at most. That’s the high end too

Realistically he’d get a Brock Lesnar like schedule. 6 ppv matches and he’s show up at like 20 something episodes of Raw where he would never wrestle or get too physical.

Not liking how this has played out so far.

I spent up all of my worrying cells on losing Belichick, Brady, and McDaniels. The thought of losing Gronk never even crossed my mind until he said “not sure how you heard that, but yes I’m certainly going to take some time to evaluate everything,” verifying the fact that it was something that he had already been contemplating.

IMO this is all a ploy and I don’t take any of this seriously. Not one bit. It gets people talking about WWE, it gets people talking about Gronk, and maybe even gets the guy a raise. Win-win for both of ‘em. Would I be hurt to see the big guy go? Of course! However, if he doesn’t want to wear the flying Elvis anymore, why would we want him to? GTFO so we can move on. It’s irritating enough that everyone wants to consistently talk about the GOAT falling off a cliff everyday. What’s the dude doing around cliffs all the time?! Now we have to listen to “Does Gronk want it anymore?” speculation every year? Gross!
I agree. He's holding out for more money and he deserved WR, not TE, money.

I agree. He's holding out for more money and he deserved WR, not TE, money.
When healthy, there is no other receiver in this league that should be paid more than Gronk. That’s why I hope they can reach an agreement for an extension that is fair for both parties. I’m not a cap genius, so I am not sure how it would work, but an extension that is built on playing time would be fair IMO. I wish they did that for every player. Make X amount of dollars, but if injured that drops to X amount of dollars. It would be difficult to manage a cap like that I guess.

When healthy, there is no other receiver in this league that should be paid more than Gronk. That’s why I hope they can reach an agreement for an extension that is fair for both parties. I’m not a cap genius, so I am not sure how it would work, but an extension that is built on playing time would be fair IMO. I wish they did that for every player. Make X amount of dollars, but if injured that drops to X amount of dollars. It would be difficult to manage a cap like that I guess.
Gronk should be the highest paid TE in the game (he was last year at 10.5m) by a nice margin, but I don’t think you can lump him in with top flight WR money like Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, etc. I definitely agree that the money should fall somewhere in the middle, though. I just don’t think you can afford to pay him 15m dollars a year, either.

Interesting that you bring up the incentive idea because I think that’s kind of what Gronk is hoping to avoid a bit. At the very least, he wants to see more guaranteed money in his base salary with the potential to make top tier coin from any incentives. Really, they shouldn’t be that far apart from being able to make him happier, although the team is going to be leery about throwing out some type of long term mega deal due to his injury history.

He could make more money making movies ...

"Fifty Shades of Gronk"
A%20Gronking%20to%20Remember.png.CROP.promo-large.png

Do pro wrestlers get CTE?

Given a choice, I'll take a few disc herniations over brain damage any day.

Look no further than Chris Benoit my friend.

Chris Benoit - Wikipedia

"Over a three-day period, Benoit had killed his wife and son before hanging himself.[12][13]His wife was bound before the killing. Benoit's son was drugged and likely unconscious before Benoit strangled him.[116] Benoit then committed suicidewith a weight machine"

Also, the match that soldified The Rock as a hardcore wrestler and not just a good lookin' big guy was his "I Quit" match where The Rock hit Mick Foley 10 times in the head with a chair. Legitimate shots, as well. Beyond death inin t rings, it's often regarded as top 5 most hard to watch scenes. Really isn't even that great, unlike Mick/Undertaker falling through Hell in a Cell. Just downright really bad and stupidly dangerous.

Of course, this isn't as much the case any more. WWE cleaned up a lot in terms of headstuff.

Can we get someone in return from the fake wrestling league?

Wouldn't be surprised if the XFL courted Gronk for big money and promised to make rules against going for the knees.

I really hope not. Replacing gronk is not even possible really.

I really hope not. Replacing gronk is not even possible really.

Young guys arent going in the clown business these days.

Big shortage.

Wouldn't be surprised if the XFL courted Gronk for big money and promised to make rules against going for the knees.
Or back, or forearms or head...

I don’t have a problem with Gronk retiring if he feels that is what’s right, but I WOULD have a problem with it being dragged out. It can be handled if he does it early enough.

Pats need to draft a replacement for Gronk regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes