PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Malcolm Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.
FO claims he was targeted 7 times and has dropped 4 . I am positive MM has dropped at least 1 pass.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | WIDE RECEIVERS 2016

No where does it say on there he has 4 dropped passes.

There is a disclaimer, dropped passes are not specified in publicly available play-by-play, and unfortunately we cannot yet correct for this.

So Football Outsiders is point blank saying they don't chart dropped passes.

But the 43% is his catch rate for the first two games which was 3 of 7.

One site that does however chart dropped passes says Mitchell hasn't dropped any

Dropped Passes: 2016 NFL Season

Which I believe to be true because the only questionable drop he ha wasn't really a drop. It was the ball high over the middle that was just out of his reach.

He looks like a natural. He does the little things that Dobson struggled with. Dobson never attacked the ball. That is why short passes to Dobson were picked off because of his effort. I also liked the way Mitchell ran a pick play without drawing contact. It seems simple but it seemed like no one outside of Amendola was capable of running the pick without getting flagged.

As promising as he looks, his future is really in Brady's hands. Sadly, Brady does play favorites and it is best to not ever enter his doghouse.

He looks like a natural. He does the little things that Dobson struggled with. Dobson never attacked the ball.

That's what drove me nuts about him - he'd go up and get one out of four passes, with the other three coming into his chest and sometimes one bouncing off of it. Definitely one of the more frustrating players to come through here since he definitely had great speed and height and relatively decent hands when he actually used them.

It's tough evaluating WRs when QBs are changing from week to week. At least with JG, there was some time to practice, but just 1.5 games of live action, only some of which are passing snaps, and just a few directed at Mitchell. We'll get a much better sense after game 5, when we'll see Brady's accuracy and timing completely dialed-in (even Brady needs a game to get in sync), at which point it's a safe assumption that if there's a miscommunication or a drop, it's more likely (not always) the receiver's fault.

But with Brady throwing to Hogan, Edelman, Amendola, Gronk, and Bennet, they'll have to put some JAG DB on Mitchell and he should be able to get open. Then we'll see. With his huge mitts and YAC, I have high hopes.

He does the little things that Dobson struggled with. Dobson never attacked the ball. That is why short passes to Dobson were picked off because of his effort. I also liked the way Mitchell ran a pick play without drawing contact. It seems simple but it seemed like no one outside of Amendola was capable of running the pick without getting flagged.

Mitchell's downfield blocking has been outstanding too, which will endear him to BB. He just gives me a good feeling.

Meanwhile, Hogan confuses the heck out of me for some reason.

Mitchell's downfield blocking has been outstanding too, which will endear him to BB. He just gives me a good feeling.

Meanwhile, Hogan confuses the heck out of me for some reason.
Hogan has been that intermediate/deep threat. He beat his man deep twice Thursday night for what would have been long TDs, but was overthrown and had that deep TD against Miami.

He has good speed and size and seems to get open down the field rather easily. Can't wait for Brady to come back. This offense should put up 40ppg as long as everyone stays healthy.

There is a disclaimer, dropped passes are not specified in publicly available play-by-play, and unfortunately we cannot yet correct for this.

One site that does however chart dropped passes says Mitchell hasn't dropped any

Which I believe to be true because the only questionable drop he ha wasn't really a drop. It was the ball high over the middle that was just out of his reach.

And ESPN?

Has the same data. Granted some passes were off target, but I specifically recall Mitchell dropping a pass he should have caught.

Malcolm Mitchell

His arm is not helping and neither is the rookie QB's. I still have hope for him when Brady returns. Hasn't done much yet but the season is still young (and so is he).

Mitchell has made a couple of nice receptions, through three weeks. Worth being optimistic (1) he's getting snaps, even with Edelman, Amendola and Hogan active and healthy (2) they're throwing him the ball (3) he's making good physical receptions and (4) getting YAC.

(1) and (2) means the staff are optimistic about him. (3) and (4) means that he's already eclipsed that Dobson guy from Detroit.

Mitchell and Amendola are our #3 and #4 WR's in a 2 WR offense. We are in excellent shape at WR.

Dobson had a fine rookie year and did absolutely nothing after that.

Seeing that Mitchell is off to a pretty good start and Dobson is on the couch Mitchell is better.
that logic has a lot of holes in it

LOL, I was surprised it took until nearly the end of September for him to catch on some where. Not a bad player, although it's going to irritate me if he turns out to be the guy we all hoped he'd be here somewhere else ... that'll bug me ;)

He won't be, Ian. Dobson just doesn't have the desire or fight in him to take his game to the next level.

that logic has a lot of holes in it

Of course it does. Its black and white.

Mitchell is getting decent playing time and making plays.

Dobson was fired and now is the 4th/5th WR for the Lions.

Exactly, Mitchell has had no drops so far.

Exactly, Mitchell has had no drops so far.

Mitchell dropped a 17-yarder from Grop early in the Doofins game. Had he caught it, the ball would've
been placed inside their 20. The Pats had to settle for a long FG instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST