PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Malcolm Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to start a thread on him as well.

My take is that he may have the ability to stretch the field as well.

I used to go to Athens a lot and get to watch a lot of UGA football on local TV, so I watched his time with Murray - and whenever Murray went deep, Mitchell either had to slow down or stop and jump for the ball. I don't know if Brady can do any better than Murray, but if you give him a chance with a ball over the defense, he may very well have the speed. He plays tough.

My only worry is that he gets too emotional and may draw unsportsmanlike penalty for getting into defenders face.

Love this pick, my second favorite behind Cyrus Jones. I agree with jmt57, while watching him at Georgia, I thought he was 6'2". But at 6'0" or just under, he has really long arms and good jumping ability, so he looks taller, also fights for the ball. Unlike recent WR draftees, he's also known for being a very good route runner. Runs a 4.45, good in the return game too.

He's also a good person who gives back to the community. How can you NOT root for this guy.

The next Emmanuel Sanders

He doesn't have the deep speed for that. At least not in the SEC anyway. Corners really didn't respect his ability to get deep at all. Sometimes he could take advantage of that. Other times, he couldn't. But he was able to consistently get up and win jump ball situations against SEC competition. Either way, I'm excited to watch him as a prospect. He's still raw so there is room to grow and he should be given the opportunity to do that in this unit.

He doesn't have the deep speed for that. At least not in the SEC anyway. Corners really didn't respect his ability to get deep at all. Sometimes he could take advantage of that. Other times, he couldn't. But he was able to consistently get up and win jump ball situations against SEC competition. Either way, I'm excited to watch him as a prospect. He's still raw so there is room to grow and he should be given the opportunity to do that in this unit.
@vuudu is suggesting the CBs not respecting the deep ball had more to do with the QBs ability to throw deep.

I love how this article started:
"When Day 2 of the draft ended, I was down on the draft. I was confused and angry ..."

Confused yes, I can see that, but angry? I think we should hold off on the anger until the end of the season (or two or three seasons) and see how the picks do.

Remember how all the Patriots draft pundits were falling all over themselves when Chad Jackson was drafted? It euphoria and elation. And that was just the beginning of BB's high-pick WR busts.

And when the Patriots picked Edelman, there was barely a peep. So....

On tape he looks like a 4-round WR. Decent speed, good hands, but he is not the next Randy Moss.

For all we know, Melvin Ray will beat him out, ha. Actually it is DJ Foster who is really intriguing; he has a remarkable burst and you see him pull away from CBs in his videos.

Agreed. I see him as more Marvin Jones than Emmanuel Sanders. And I speak as someone who loved Marvin Jones as a prospect.

Watch how at times he stops running to go for under thrown balls. Some of them looks painful. But he does make some tough catches.

Mitchell's Combine numbers are excellent. He was ranked 13th in the 3-cone at 6.94 (he and Leblanc will have fun this summer), but look at his 40 time: he was ranked number 5 at 4.45. Not bad for a fourth round pick.

He will surprise he will come more polished I cant think of a receiver we drafted that had more polish besides Deion Branch.
He is smooth he understands routes he can catch and has a good head on his shoulders.

I see both Mitchell and Lucien making Big Plays in this Offense on the Outsides some thing we haven't seen since Moss!

Knowing how Mitchell naturally loves books...I could see him digesting our Playbook very early in his career.:)

Knowing how Mitchell naturally loves books...I could see him digesting our Playbook very early in his career.:)

Hopefully he'll absorb the information with his brain and not this way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back