PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would You Have Stidham as QB2, Or Take the Pressure Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would can Hoyer if he is willing to retire and be hired on as a qb coach.

. Then you continue to have him run the scout team and stay in shape. He could unretire if TB got hurt bad and Studarm can't hack it or needs a backup himself.

But I suspect bb will wait one more year. But who knows: nobody kept 4qbs til he kept Tb. Nobody went with less than 3 til bb started that trend. Now everyone here seems to think 2 qbs is 'normal.'

I bet a can of tuna fish that we keep all 3 qbs this year

I bet a can of tuna fish that we keep all 3 qbs this year
We very well could. That's not really breaking news. The idea that Hoyer could come in & lead this team beyond a few games is the big point. Along w Deus saying Hoyer >Stidham which is asinine.

You keep Hoyer for a few reasons. None of which are the above reasons.

Half of Hoyer's salary is guaranteed, and it appears that the rookie is not yet ready to be the backup.
I disagree with that, Stidham has a good arm and a good mind. He's very raw, but he's got a good toolset for BB to work with. If we lost TB12 tomorrow, we wouldn't be competing for Superbowls this year, but Stidham is worth working with in a "lost" developmental year.

Stidham isn't better than Hoyer right now but he's very projectable. Rolling the dice with him in a Brady replacement scenario, based not on what he is now but on hopes of where the team could get him to by week 17, is probably a better gamble than relying on over-the-hill Hoyer to try to salvage something of the season. Hoyer is very smart, a film freak and veteran leader, but the man just does not have the arm. Stidham with Hoyer behind him as a developmental caddy is probably as good a scenario if the unthinkable happens this year.

The idea that Hoyer could come in & lead this team beyond a few games is the big point. Along w Deus saying Hoyer >Stidham which is asinine.
I dont think you can anoint Stidham anything yet. He hasn't taken a snap in a real NFL game yet. It would be like saying Jacoby Myers is better than Philip Dorsett at this point.

I would seriously love to know who thinks Hoyer has been better than Stidham thus far.
He clearly is not ... in all phases of QB play.
Even if more physically talented opposing defenses would easily neutralize him. (rookie)
I think the discussion revolves more around roster management than Hoyer vs Stidham.
There are some really tough cuts this year - it will be interesting.

Carry 3 QB's. Can't put Season pressure on a rookie. Hoyer is the man to back up TB until proven otherwise then use Stidman.

I like Stidham’s potential, but I don’t think he’s ready to be Brady’s backup. Keep all 3. Hoyer actually has looked better this year, couldn’t move the ball last preseason, looks way better this year. I think he’s finally comfortable with the playbook.

One note of caution... If they need a roster spot in order to temp-IR a guy the day after cutdowns, then Hoyer makes a ton of sense as the guy who is cut and then re-signed a day or two later. He’s an old guy without a ton of future earning potential, doesn’t go through waivers, and has two kids that I assume plan to be in school in the area. So even if he’s cut, then I think we better wait a couple days to see if it’s for real.

Stidham already looks better than the #1 overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. Use Hoyer's slot for one of the players you'd HATE to lose.

I dont think you can anoint Stidham anything yet. He hasn't taken a snap in a real NFL game yet. It would be like saying Jacoby Myers is better than Philip Dorsett at this point.
No one is anointing him. In fact I said yest that Bill isn't handing the job to anyone. He'll throw the book at the next future QB. Bring in a vet fa. Draft pick(s).

That said Stidham has outplayed Hoyer so far. Neither is bring us on a SB run but w this deep team of a team Id be perfectly fine w 2 QB.

I am a 2 QB guy Bacon. So I agree.

But wait a min here everyone..... Studum has looked as good if not better than Garrapolo his rookie training camp (FWIR) and they went into that year with just JG as Brady's backup. I know TB is 5 years older but is that the big factor???

Wait, is my math off. I thought JG was a rookie in 14 and he was the only backup to Brady.

I thought you were saying last time Hoyer was cut. He was cut for Mallet but Mallet was in his 22nd year. My bad, your math is fine.

With Brady’s pedigree of playing every game other than the season he got hurt. My humble opinion is if Brady went down I would not be confident in either bringing us a SB. Stidham may develop into that potential but he is still so green.

What determines a good backup QB in NE is meetings with Brady and scout team duties. Hoyer having experience in the league provides way more value than the Rookie in this regard. Hoyer got praised for his scout team play in in the playoffs.

I keep 3 and let Stidham develop and learn the correct way. Even Brady had to sit behind others his Rookie year before BB had enough confidence in him to handle all QB duties.

At this point you keep Hoyer and go with 3 QBs, my reasons:

- With the Eagles signing McCown, the idea of they trading for Hoyer goes down the toilet.

- Stidham looks promissing, pretty much like JimmyG in his first camp, but he is at the very beggining of his learning curve so every week from now on he will improve a bit. Hoyer is a better option now to run our system against professional defenses. 8 weeks from now? We may revisit that.

- With that in mind, Hoyer has more value for a trade during the season, when a starting QB from a contending or middle of the pack team go down. We don't wish that, but it happens every year.

- Hoyer brings value to the team in simulating other offenses, he's played in many different systems.

- Someone mentioned a good point, Brady will have a lot of work with new guys on offense so he won't have time to be a good mentor to the kid. Also he loves Hoyer and listen to his inputs when analysing pictures on the sidelines. So putting all of that together you probably makes Brady happier not having to worry about this backup QB transition right now.

I’d like to see them carry 3. Although I prefer what I’ve seen from Stidham it would be nice to have Hoyer mentoring him for the season. Doubt Brady has time for that in his busy life.

Being 2 or 3 won’t change his development (nor would being on the practice squad but that’s not an option). The “move Hoyer out of the way” idea happens in practice whether Hoyer is on the roster or not.
I think we keep 3 but Stidham acts like the 2. If Brady is injured Hoyer plays and if he struggles there is a quick hook.

The interesting question is which will be inactive. I could see value in having Stidham get fame action in blowouts. And practicing the victory formation :D

I think carrying 3 is a wasted roster spot that could be used for another position.

I think carrying 3 is a wasted roster spot that could be used for another position.
That extra player would be inactive. If you keep the 3rd qb that inactive is on the practice squad.

Being 2 or 3 won’t change his development (nor would being on the practice squad but that’s not an option). The “move Hoyer out of the way” idea happens in practice whether Hoyer is on the roster or not.
I think we keep 3 but Stidham acts like the 2. If Brady is injured Hoyer plays and if he struggles there is a quick hook.

The interesting question is which will be inactive. I could see value in having Stidham get fame action in blowouts. And practicing the victory formation :D

A roster spot is a valuable commodity. I agree we can move on from Hoyer. And we can always find Hoyer calibre QBs (maybe Hoyer himself!) in an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes