PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I’m on Team Hoyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoyer shatters Stidhams confidence .

I suspect that Stidham's first six games will shake his confidence more if he is the 2020 starter.

Not to be dismissive of that analysis, but whoever looks better through camp and the preseason will be the guy. I'm hoping for Stidham, but it is what it is at this point. We will have to wait and see.

Also, please update your Super Bowl totals.

I am on team Stidham. I have actually seen Hoyer play in a playoff game.....let's just say that it wasn't pretty. I am happy we have Hoyer and I absolutely agree that Stidham has to earn the job period...full stop.Last year's competition was close, IMO....but the Pats chose the kid due to potential/economics. The Pats would have brought back Hoyer if he didn't sign with Indy, IMO.

To me...Stidham = Glory or Crash-And-Burn. Hoyer = 10-6 record maybe...and a divisional exit at best...then he'll be 35 years old...dunno...

hmm
I think that it is extremely unlikely that we win 10 games with Stidham. So that puts me on Team Hoyer; that is, until we acquire someone else,

After all these years watching Belichick it seems like many haven’t learned anything.

Our most likely starting QB is going to be Brian Hoyer. We need to get behind this guy. Stop dogging him and start supporting him.

No disrespect to Stidham but he has a lot of catching up to do to beat out the veteran. Hoyer has superior knowledge and command of our offense and I believe he will do very well in “game manager” role (think 2001 except Hoyer has way more experience than Brady did at that time).

Hoyer’s game has been modeled after Brady’s since he came into league. Like Brady he will know where to go with ball and will get it out quickly. He will play the position the way he has been taught in our system. The same way Brady was taught. Many if not most of Brady’s throws came within the design of the system. Brady was never a big improv guy. I expect to see the same from Hoyer...ie...very few mistakes.

I’m not ruling out Stidham but he won’t be given position. He’s going to have to earn it. He only has one year in our system and has quite a bit of catching up to do.

If Stidham doesn’t win job this year, it doesn’t mean he’s a bust. He could very well be ready next year or the year after. Whenever he is able to play the position the way Belichick wants the position to be played.

I’m not predicting a SB but I do expect us to be competitive with Hoyer. A 10+ win season and playoff berth is within our reach. Chiefs and Ravens are the clear favorites but we’ll be right there in the group chasing those teams. We’re going to utilize ball control offense. Smashmouth football, short passing game , and Defense will determine how far we can go.

Belichick will play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Thats the way it is.

Think of Rich Gannon. He was a career journeyman/backup QB who became league MVP late in career. The same kind of late career success is possible for Hoyer in our system and would further enhance the legacy of Belichick.

Nothing wrong with being on Team Hoyer..

.. but as far as i recall Hoyer was cut and Stidham was here .. actually having the experience with 2019 team.

Team Hoyer wanted to be known that Hoyer was promised a competition for starting job. Its not a particularly significant promise since this is what every player in NE gets..

To me Hoyer looked more like assistant QB coach than a QB ever since he returned..

After all these years watching Belichick it seems like many haven’t learned anything.

Our most likely starting QB is going to be Brian Hoyer. We need to get behind this guy. Stop dogging him and start supporting him.

No disrespect to Stidham but he has a lot of catching up to do to beat out the veteran. Hoyer has superior knowledge and command of our offense and I believe he will do very well in “game manager” role (think 2001 except Hoyer has way more experience than Brady did at that time).

Hoyer’s game has been modeled after Brady’s since he came into league. Like Brady he will know where to go with ball and will get it out quickly. He will play the position the way he has been taught in our system. The same way Brady was taught. Many if not most of Brady’s throws came within the design of the system. Brady was never a big improv guy. I expect to see the same from Hoyer...ie...very few mistakes.

I’m not ruling out Stidham but he won’t be given position. He’s going to have to earn it. He only has one year in our system and has quite a bit of catching up to do.

If Stidham doesn’t win job this year, it doesn’t mean he’s a bust. He could very well be ready next year or the year after. Whenever he is able to play the position the way Belichick wants the position to be played.

I’m not predicting a SB but I do expect us to be competitive with Hoyer. A 10+ win season and playoff berth is within our reach. Chiefs and Ravens are the clear favorites but we’ll be right there in the group chasing those teams. We’re going to utilize ball control offense. Smashmouth football, short passing game , and Defense will determine how far we can go.

Belichick will play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Thats the way it is.

Think of Rich Gannon. He was a career journeyman/backup QB who became league MVP late in career. The same kind of late career success is possible for Hoyer in our system and would further enhance the legacy of Belichick.
tenor.gif

I suspect that Stidham's first six games will shake his confidence more if he is the 2020 starter.

Why?

Stidham will be on a short leash and be allowed to do more as time passes.

Fun statistic: 25% of NFL teams have had Hoyer.

Dear god no.

Hoyer is the definition of sub mediocrity.

You can pump his tires with all the karma and juju you want, it won’t change what the guy is.... an ‘on the bubble jag QB who happens to know the Pats play book. Lucky for him that’s worth $1.05 mill.

BB chose Stidham over Hoyer last year and he will do it again this year.

Fun statistic: 25% of NFL teams have had Hoyer.
That is fun

You know what’s funny, the Colts guaranteed Hoyer $9 mill last year
Even funnier, the Colts guaranteed Brissett $20 mill

No one should ever want "Starting QB Brian Hoyer" as their preferred outcome.

Going back to 2014, Hoyer has started 34 games (1 playoff game), is 13-21 (0-1 playoffs), including 10 straight losses, 58% completion, 231 yards/g, 37-25 TD-INT, and an 81 QB rating. That is not good for a QB in this day in age. If Stidham can't at least provide this, well, the Pats are screwed, Hoyer or not.

Might as well see what the kid can do, at least he has potential.

I'm on team whoever we acquire in 2021, but this scenario is more realistic than people want to give you credit for. I expect the first practice snap will be Hoyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back