PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Definitely the end of an era. Brees, Ben & Rivers all have dead arms. Nothing at all on Brees. Ben's dies as the game goes on and Rivers has been done for a minute now. Brady is the last of the old men. You get the sense each are fighting for their careers this year. I could see Brady going another year but the other three are hanging on by a duct tape & glue.

I just made like 3 separate videos but all too long for Twitter and here. I'm eating, getting right and will post on Dugger, Pass Protection. Anyone else, specifically someone wants to look at?

Dugger was everywhere. Very impressed. Bill had him everywhere - flat, mof, blitzing, m2m, zone. Big workload.

Pass Pro was excellent. Big games ahead but they've been great for the most part.

Surprised to see Brady so far down the list. He was one of the best PA guys for years (the bomb to Branch in the 2004 AFCCG is one of my all time favorites, totally sold everyone), and they have a real running option in Fournette. I expect to see them take advantage of that more as the season goes on.

We can only hope! They're such an athletic group. That's literally literally their best trait along with versatility. We need more zone. QB outside zone would put teams in a real bind in the red zone. We're probably more likely to see some inside stuff but who cares get our guys moving.

I just made like 3 separate videos but all too long for Twitter and here.

Any chance you can put those on streamable and then just put the links into tweets/post them here ? 10min limits over there..

A lot has been made of getting another "weapon" at WR/TE. I'm definitely on board with that. It's more than obvious we need help. I'm not overpaying though. I'm not giving up a 1 or 2 save for like 5-8 guys. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a defensive addition as well. Again nothing major, I'm not giving up early picks. We desperately need a space eater that can occupy the A gap though. Shelton was very limited but was something out there. We have no depth there.

I'm not surprised about the Cam start. Even before we signed him I had the same position - that If healthy he's a top 10-12 QB. He's also 31, coming off injury. I absolutely love the idea of him here long-term but I have to be sure he's right. Like if medicals indicate something chronic or w/e it would effect the years in the contract for me.
Who knows I'm glad he's here. He's saying all the right things to the media. Been excellent with that stuff.
I'm waiting on a contact though unless it's a 2 year deal. Of course structured in our favor. Idk I'm hesitant about a long-term deal two weeks in. Again medicals are everything here so NEP obviously would go off that.

I wonder who's really in on Trevor Lawrence? Like which teams are actively, quietly factoring that in to personnel decisions - trades at 0-2? If you're 0-2 you're like 95% dead in the water. No playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a QB traded if that team is 0-5 maybe with injuries. Lame duck coach?

If you're NYJ, Detroit, Atlanta, Minnesota ... Would you trade your QB for more picks. Presumably a a nice haul, if it happens. I know it's unlikely but if someone was willing to give you ... Let's say a 1st/2nd for Ryan, Cousins, Stafford, Darnold wouldn't command that but you get the idea. Maybe you get a 2nd or 3rd and a 7th?

What about if the Saints or mainly Brees ****s the bed?

The thought of having a shot at TL plus get top picks for other needs is more than tempting!

I actually hope he goes to winning franchise. Don't want to see him jete'd.

Dugger is as close to that white whale DB Bill has been hunting in the second round for a while. Could finally have nailed it.
I’ll expand on this a bit, because I remember talking about this in the draft forum in 2016 when looking at Jabrill Peppers. We all kind of laughed for years as BB drafted TE after TE, searching for the next Mark Bavaro. Once we finally hit with Gronkowski though, we stopped laughing, as we could see how a player like that — who blocks like a tackle, can run and catch like a big WR — is the ultimate chess piece at a skill position on offense.

I think he views safety the same way. The white whale for him is the guy who can play strong safety like a linebacker, and yet can also play free safety like a corner back. He had it very briefly in Milloy. He had that in Rodney. He’s been looking for that since then. He tried to make Chung that guy, but it didn’t work out; when BB says he messed up playing Chung wrong during his 1st stint, that’s what he’s talking about. Chung’s thrived in his return as a traditional strong safety and as a money backer (ultimately that role seems to be best for Peppers too). Way too early, but maybe he finally found his guy this time in Dugger? A guy like that can really give the team a lot of options.

A lot has been made of getting another "weapon" at WR/TE. I'm definitely on board with that. It's more than obvious we need help. I'm not overpaying though. I'm not giving up a 1 or 2 save for like 5-8 guys. Id
Any chance you can put those on streamable and then just put the links into tweets/post them here ? 10min limits over there..
Not sure I even know what streamable is tbh? Links to gifs or something else? I fell asleep but will post more OL and w/e else I can.

I’ll expand on this a bit, because I remember talking about this in the draft forum in 2016 when looking at Jabrill Peppers. We all kind of laughed for years as BB drafted TE after TE, searching for the next Mark Bavaro. Once we finally hit with Gronkowski though, we stopped laughing, as we could see how a player like that — who blocks like a tackle, can run and catch like a big WR — is the ultimate chess piece at a skill position on offense.

I think he views safety the same way. The white whale for him is the guy who can play strong safety like a linebacker, and yet can also play free safety like a corner back. He had it very briefly in Milloy. He had that in Rodney. He’s been looking for that since then. He tried to make Chung that guy, but it didn’t work out; when BB says he messed up playing Chung wrong during his 1st stint, that’s what he’s talking about. Chung’s thrived in his return as a traditional strong safety and as a money backer (ultimately that role seems to be best for Peppers too). Way too early, but maybe he finally found his guy this time in Dugger? A guy like that can really give the team a lot of options.
It's been like a decade long search haha. I remember talks of him looking for someone at the "star" position for years. I thought Telvin Smith was the ultimate fit for Bill at one point. There's was a few, I don't want to say "no name" players" but I cant remember their names. This 2003-2010 territory I think. Think he was a white guy built like a small backer. I'm drawing a blank. @captain stone might know. Anyway yea we've been on some journeys with Bill.

Wynn in pass pro. Pretty much everything you expected coming out. Catlike quick out of his stance. Vertical, jump, 45, he's out immediately. Always balanced, in position, able to counter back inside. Quick, accurate strikes. + Grip strength. Great technique. Anchor on power, notice the hop(s) to dig in.

Room for improvement in the running game but I don't think hes been bad at all. Not even close. Might have notice he got a little high with his hands a few reps. Just something to chirp at him about. Nit picking but last game he ended up on the ground a few too many times.

Very happy with him so far. Important to hit on early picks. Chatham mentioned running more zone and I couldn't agree more. We really don't have a the RB's for it though except Harris imo. We need a boost from that spot. We've forgotten what it's like to have a playmaker back there. Anyway the strength of the OL is it's athleticism by far and then versatility. Hopefully we just continue to grow and really find our niche in all areas.

Not sure I even know what streamable is tbh? Links to gifs or something else? I fell asleep but will post more OL and w/e else I can.

Turns up to 10min videos into mobile friendly html5 gifs you can embed. Should get you around length limits on vids you create on various platforms.

Yeah. I remember talking with various folks who have since stopped posting like @mayoclinic about BB being on the hunt to fill the star role. Some even thought that Ebner was another puzzle piece he tried to fit there. Ebner even got a couple real snaps in that role in early 2014.

It has been quite the ride since then. God, I hope Dugger can make it healthy through the season and his career doesn't get derailed by a season ender.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back