PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Idk Capt, that team has been a dumpster fire this year. No OL, QB that regressed as much as anyone ive seen recently in Wentz. That might be a lil dramatic but he's taken a big step backwards. Anyway I have to give JR more time. #'s aren't there but I can't fault him that much. He can play, just stuck in a bad situation.
Wentz has certainly regressed...but the MNF crew - Griese, a former QB, in particular - was cutting him a lot of slack because of the state of the OL: the LT (Mailata) is meh, the LG (Seumalo) sucks, the Center (Kelce) is probably regressing, the RG (Peters) is a hollow shell of his former self, and the RT (local dude Jack Driscoll) isn't ready, especially at RT...but Reagor really hasn't helped either.

Yup there roster wasn't as stacked but yea they had Lynch sitting there as well.

The Watkins > Mack decision is something I'll never get over. Just a weird team.
Who? Is the Watkins here Sammy Watkins?

Who? Is the Watkins here Sammy Watkins?
Yea Sammy > Mack just bothers me bc they had Mack under their nose for years but went with the 3rd-4th best WR in the draft that year.

Can someone help me out? Who is this? What in the world is he doing? Do people really believe by slamming down this tweet that they're right or making a point? Generally curious bc we have it here. Some muppet on twitter will post a stat and we'll get people talking about narratives?

I can't explain this pie chart but Cam is playing great. Trust me. I've never cooked food before but trust me I'm a great chef. Like this is all you got??

Half the the league is below 500% looking for QB but let me tell how being a top 15-20 QB is a big deal.

It gets better ...
I dont think he knows what a "honey hole" is tbh. Not exactly dropping it in a bucket here. Seriously you call this a honey hole? I'm sure he's super smart though.

And when I want to make a point about Cam's career long struggle with accuracy I bring up Tom Brady. This is a good idea.

I'm not the type to rub your face in the dirt but .... This is a "honey hole" pass. If two defenders don't have eyes on the WR/ball it don't count. I don't make the rules.

A lot different than ...
View attachment 29355

That chart is basically saying that Newton has been just north of the median when it comes to EPA and completion percentage above expected. That’s it. It’s important to note the defenses they’ve played in those weeks.

That chart is basically saying that Newton has been just north of the median when it comes to EPA and completion percentage above expected. That’s it. It’s important to note the defenses they’ve played in those weeks.
Yea I saw the same one from Lazar or another epa related tweet. Trying to make the case he's been one of the more efficient QB in the league.

I just think it's incredibly lazy to say "Cam isn't the problem" or "Cam has actually been playing well", despite what we're watching every week. It's like don't believe the bad stats and your eyes. Believe this one stat from a 4 week sample size. "Trust us Cam is actually playing well, you guys just don't know what you're talking about" type deal.

Sure the "weapons" could use an upgrade but can't people isolate the player here? Cam just hasn't been good.

Harry gets a lot of crap and he should but give the guy a break. Dude almost gets his head taken off against Seattle and is getting ER balls thrown his way the next week. Into double & triple coverage. I know he's supposed to be our physical threat but again this is the very next week I believe. Decision making like this, instead of looking at 11. Has been an issue all year.

Also on the screen to Rex. Your 6'5" and throwing like you're 5'10". Barely releasing the ball at eye level. Right into the DL face.

The footwork is another issue. Leaves him all arm. Very little torque or energy created from legs/core. I notice it a lot on crossers/overs. Feet stay planted and its all arm.

No more twitch or juice in his legs. Just a 6'5"/240 guy trying to move. Designed stuff works but as you were talking about his legs, he just has no bounce left to leave defenders behind him.

Not entirely opposed to him coming back just like to be honest about the situation. Not all on him at all but he's been playing like a bottom 5-10 QB too often. And just awful against pressure. Consistently bottom 5-10 there every week.

Yea I saw the same one from Lazar or another epa related tweet. Trying to make the case he's been one of the more efficient QB in the league.

I just think it's incredibly lazy to say "Cam isn't the problem" or "Cam has actually been playing well", despite what we're watching every week. It's like don't believe the bad stats and your eyes. Believe this one stat from a 4 week sample size. "Trust us Cam is actually playing well, you guys just don't know what you're talking about" type deal.

Sure the "weapons" could use an upgrade but can't people isolate the player here? Cam just hasn't been good.

Harry gets a lot of crap and he should but give the guy a break. Dude almost gets his head taken off against Seattle and is getting ER balls thrown his way the next week. Into double & triple coverage. I know he's supposed to be our physical threat but again this is the very next week I believe. Decision making like this, instead of looking at 11. Has been an issue all year.

Also on the screen to Rex. Your 6'5" and throwing like you're 5'10". Barely releasing the ball at eye level. Right into the DL face.

The footwork is another issue. Leaves him all arm. Very little torque or energy created from legs/core. I notice it a lot on crossers/overs. Feet stay planted and its all arm.

No more twitch or juice in his legs. Just a 6'5"/240 guy trying to move. Designed stuff works but as you were talking about his legs, he just has no bounce left to leave defenders behind him.

Not entirely opposed to him coming back just like to be honest about the situation. Not all on him at all but he's been playing like a bottom 5-10 QB too often. And just awful against pressure. Consistently bottom 5-10 there every week.

I mentioned this in Ken’s “idle thoughts” thread and I brought it up before the season. I went back before we signed him and watched the All-22 of the Panthers in 2018 and 2019 before he got injured on one of my weeks off. His legs are cooked. Product of years of getting hit down there. What I saw was a guy who never used to get brought down from behind fleeing the pocket suddenly getting dragged down by DTs and DEs. I saw a guy who wasn’t using his legs to drive the football and the result was high, low, and errant throws. It was my opinion, before the season, that his legs were shot and this *might have* been negatively impacting him as a passer. I said “might have” at the time because the jury was still out with the shoulder injury and the possibility of that one impacting him more than his legs. I’m convinced now that it’s all the legs. They’re done. He’ll still get some nice yards on the designed stuff because it gives him an extra blocker by design. But he’s no longer a threat to improvise and take it the distance when the pocket collapses. They’re weak and because of that, he has trouble driving the ball and generating power from those legs as a passer.

I mentioned this in Ken’s “idle thoughts” thread and I brought it up before the season. I went back before we signed him and watched the All-22 of the Panthers in 2018 and 2019 before he got injured on one of my weeks off. His legs are cooked. Product of years of getting hit down there. What I saw was a guy who never used to get brought down from behind fleeing the pocket suddenly getting dragged down by DTs and DEs. I saw a guy who wasn’t using his legs to drive the football and the result was high, low, and errant throws. It was my opinion, before the season, that his legs were shot and this *might have* been negatively impacting him as a passer. I said “might have” at the time because the jury was still out with the shoulder injury and the possibility of that one impacting him more than his legs. I’m convinced now that it’s all the legs. They’re done. He’ll still get some nice yards on the designed stuff because it gives him an extra blocker by design. But he’s no longer a threat to improvise and take it the distance when the pocket collapses. They’re weak and because of that, he has trouble driving the ball and generating power from those legs as a passer.
I agree with most if not all. I believe he can he still generate power from his lower half. It's just his footwork is so lousy he's all arm on certain passes. Generates no torque when he needs to. When given the time and routes can develop in front of him, things can happen.

At this point I'm just hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with him.

I agree with most if not all. I believe he can he still generate power from his lower half. It's just his footwork is so lousy he's all arm on certain passes. Generates no torque when he needs to. When given the time and routes can develop in front of him, things can happen.

At this point I'm just hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with him.

Its his burst. When he decides to scrabble, he looks like LeGarrette Blount right after getting handed the ball. It takes an good second to display any burst and get going. If and when he does, he still has that momentum and is hard to stop.

Its his burst. When he decides to scrabble, he looks like LeGarrette Blount right after getting handed the ball. It takes an good second to display any burst and get going. If and when he does, he still has that momentum and is hard to stop.
I agree. @KontradictioN is right I think. The lousy footwork exaggerates the issue, but his legs are shot. I thought it was his shoulder (which still might not hold up but looks OK after 12 games), but it looks like I was wrong and @KontradictioN is right. I saw a similar post about Cam's legs being shot and went back and watched him at Auburn and his early days at the Panthers. He used to have a burst like Mahomes does. Completely different now.

Like you say if he gets going, running the QB option for example, he is OK because he is moving when he keeps the ball and runs. And he is very good at deciding to give or keep the ball. Put his leg burst is gone, which hurts his throwing too.

Agreed it's that twitch that uses to get him out of tight spaces. Like you said now he just looks like a 6'5" 250 guy moving around for the most part. Still has something but yea no more burst or fast twitch or we you wanna call it.
I agree. @KontradictioN is right I think. The lousy footwork exaggerates the issue, but his legs are shot. I thought it was his shoulder (which still might not hold up but looks OK after 12 games), but it looks like I was wrong and @KontradictioN is right. I saw a similar post about Cam's legs being shot and went back and watched him at Auburn and his early days at the Panthers. He used to have a burst like Mahomes does. Completely different now.

Like you say if he gets going, running the QB option for example, he is OK because he is moving when he keeps the ball and runs. And he is very good at deciding to give or keep the ball. Put his leg burst is gone, which hurts his throwing too.
He can still generate power from his lower half. It's just his footwork is so bad it leaves him vulnerable too often. The thing with his legs is no fast twitch. No more suddenness to get away from defenders in short areas.

Still has some miles left just wearing down. Like on plays that take a minute to develop he can still create some decent velocity.

Here's one example to which I was talking about above. Drop is fine but his feet don't follow his target enough. I'm not going to tell any QB where to point their feet. Having them pointing at the target is overblown anyway but he has postion himself better. Make a better platform, plenty of room. Work the pocket, help yourself out. Look at where his body and feet here. Then run the clip and watch where his target ends up touching the ball. Then look at Cam again.

Screenshot_2020-12-07-02-15-08.png

Not trying to tell professional QB's how to play but I just think some of this is obvious. Most of his troubles start and end with his footwork in terms of being a passer. Also to Evans comment in the tweet. Cam is 6'5", he's been one of the biggest guys on the field since HS. He shouldn't have to side-arm that pass with that pocket and his size.

We'll see going forward. I'm not all down on Cam. I was behind the signing and this offense from day one. Still am. I just like being honest and objective about the situation or at least I try to be.

Was nice to see the defense create some pressure of 1 on 1 looks. Even if some of it was aided by pressure. Uche with a nice snatch/jerk move, playing off of a would be bull rush. He played a little part in Wise's sack as well playing a spy I believe. Bill is a master at manipulating and manufacturing pressure but there comes a time in every game where you need a win in a 1 on 1. Especially late in the game when you know a team is passing the ball.

How about a nod to Josh. Subject of a talk around here. He's definitely had a few missteps this year but hes working with a Motley Crew tbh. Working with no TE. WR2-3 types at best and QB who's hit or miss in every sense of the word. From start to finish Josh had a plan and added a few wrinkles to give teams something to think about going forward. Everyone was involved in some way, doing something a lil different (QB, RB/FB, WR) Open runs, WR runs, wildcat... Best opening drive of the year. Again hes working with a tough cast of characters but really helped out the running game today by winning with #'s and moving the box defenders around. I'm a Josh fan. Hes not without his faults but he's one of the better OC in the league for sure.

One of those from the motley crew that continues to do work is Meyers. He's a chain mover. Really getting comfortable working the sidelines. Out, comebacks etc. He's been very good at selling vertical and working off that. He could be solid WR3 which is an important role on any team. I'd like to see him get stronger. Keep improving on his blocking and be that possession - chain mover picking up nice chunks.

Harris & Sony aren't a bad 1-2 at all with White doing his thing. Harris should get the 18-20 touches but I like Sony as his bu. Please keep giving Harris touches in the rec game. Just 2-3 early passes bc it gives him a chance to get in space with our athletic OL. Use the RB's early in the passing game, especially if we go pony. Again it's a way to lighten a box. Expose a defensive wrinkle if we have two guys that can catch. Even if we only have one guy. Lots of ways to create mismatches in our favor.

Defense has been playing a lot better. Few things I was noticing that matters and they kinda go hand in hand. Today we wrapped up. I was getting sick seeing missed or broken tackles for 8-10 plus yards. Just not a Bill defense but not today. They wrapped up and played with more aggression up front.

# 1 Stunna Gunna! I bagged on him hard at times. There where instances when he's always in air after a return. Little guy, that's no bueno. Too many bad things can happen but he looked comfortable, calm & cool today. Showed a little patience. He had to contribute in the rec game going forward for me to really come around to him on the 53 but good show Gun Show. Great game. He definitely got a game ball and will remember this game for life. Here's hoping he's a player going forward. Really happy for him.

Keep building this OL. We should be able to get a great player in round 3 this year and should absolutely not pass up on it. This goes without speaking if we lose 62 but keeping adding to this group. It's really close to being a dominant line imo. I live the balance of athleticism and power we have. Keep adding Bill!

I remember reading a bleacher report article years ago about how the Chargers lost out on the playoffs bc of ST. Specifically bc of ST. It was crazy how the documented it but it was true their ST F'd them that year. It's online can't remember what year. That said this was a joke. They had like 12, 10 guys on the field a few times. Blocked punt. Gunna. I mean this was one of the worst ST performances I remember seeing in a long time.
If you've read this thread I've gone after Lynn a few times. He was Taylor on another team. Taylor is a Lynn guy so to speak and Lynn absolutely let that cloud his judgement when deciding QB1. You draft Herbert top 10, he's obviously the future. You know exactly what you have in Taylor and that's not much with all due respect. How did you watch those two, polar opposites this summer and think Taylor was the guy. I know, covid but how about after Herbert lit it up when Taylor was shanked by the team doc. Lynn came right out and said Taylor was the guy! Just can't take this guy serious. I mean a HC is supposed to be a serious job. It's a privilege. Some of these guys shouldn't be anywhere near a HC seat. Lynn should be gone. Is he gone? Idk I'm just out of work and haven't looked at anything.

I'll admit I don't think this team can compete for a ring but every win feels good. I still get butterflies. I never want us to lose but certainly wouldn't be mad if we were bc we do need help. That said I so want a rematch vs KC in the PO. I'm sure Bill has that as an underlying message or someone does. "One game at a time but how sweet would it be to get another shot" type thing. That's a great attitude and example of culture > tanking. This team has nothing to be afraid of, house money, so let's be the ultimate party crashers. Just saying it's nice to have a light at the end of rainbow when you're grinding every day with no room for mistakes. Again that's culture. That's not easy to build and harder to sustain but it's what separates schools like Bama, Clemson, Patriots, Steelers etc. Much more than a draft pick. It's we as opposed to let's hope someone else will save the franchise. Guys like Bill, Saban etc even Dani since I mentioned Clemson. Don't grow on trees. They have their faults but are truly one of a kind. They are different.

Was nice to see the defense create some pressure of 1 on 1 looks. Even if some of it was aided by pressure. Uche with a nice snatch/jerk move, playing off of a would be bull rush. He played a little part in Wise's sack as well playing a spy I believe. Bill is a master at manipulating and manufacturing pressure but there comes a time in every game where you need a win in a 1 on 1. Especially late in the game when you know a team is passing the ball.

How about a nod to Josh. Subject of a talk around here. He's definitely had a few missteps this year but hes working with a Motley Crew tbh. Working with no TE. WR2-3 types at best and QB who's hit or miss in every sense of the word. From start to finish Josh had a plan and added a few wrinkles to give teams something to think about going forward. Everyone was involved in some way, doing something a lil different (QB, RB/FB, WR) Open runs, WR runs, wildcat... Best opening drive of the year. Again hes working with a tough cast of characters but really helped out the running game today by winning with #'s and moving the box defenders around. I'm a Josh fan. Hes not without his faults but he's one of the better OC in the league for sure.

One of those from the motley crew that continues to do work is Meyers. He's a chain mover. Really getting comfortable working the sidelines. Out, comebacks etc. He's been very good at selling vertical and working off that. He could be solid WR3 which is an important role on any team. I'd like to see him get stronger. Keep improving on his blocking and be that possession - chain mover picking up nice chunks.

Harris & Sony aren't a bad 1-2 at all with White doing his thing. Harris should get the 18-20 touches but I like Sony as his bu. Please keep giving Harris touches in the rec game. Just 2-3 early passes bc it gives him a chance to get in space with our athletic OL. Use the RB's early in the passing game, especially if we go pony. Again it's a way to lighten a box. Expose a defensive wrinkle if we have two guys that can catch. Even if we only have one guy. Lots of ways to create mismatches in our favor.

Defense has been playing a lot better. Few things I was noticing that matters and they kinda go hand in hand. Today we wrapped up. I was getting sick seeing missed or broken tackles for 8-10 plus yards. Just not a Bill defense but not today. They wrapped up and played with more aggression up front.

# 1 Stunna Gunna! I bagged on him hard at times. There where instances when he's always in air after a return. Little guy, that's no bueno. Too many bad things can happen but he looked comfortable, calm & cool today. Showed a little patience. He had to contribute in the rec game going forward for me to really come around to him on the 53 but good show Gun Show. Great game. He definitely got a game ball and will remember this game for life. Here's hoping he's a player going forward. Really happy for him.

Keep building this OL. We should be able to get a great player in round 3 this year and should absolutely not pass up on it. This goes without speaking if we lose 62 but keeping adding to this group. It's really close to being a dominant line imo. I live the balance of athleticism and power we have. Keep adding Bill!

I remember reading a bleacher report article years ago about how the Chargers lost out on the playoffs bc of ST. Specifically bc of ST. It was crazy how the documented it but it was true their ST F'd them that year. It's online can't remember what year. That said this was a joke. They had like 12, 10 guys on the field a few times. Blocked punt. Gunna. I mean this was one of the worst ST performances I remember seeing in a long time.
If you've read this thread I've gone after Lynn a few times. He was Taylor on another team. Taylor is a Lynn guy so to speak and Lynn absolutely let that cloud his judgement when deciding QB1. You draft Herbert top 10, he's obviously the future. You know exactly what you have in Taylor and that's not much with all due respect. How did you watch those two, polar opposites this summer and think Taylor was the guy. I know, covid but how about after Herbert lit it up when Taylor was shanked by the team doc. Lynn came right out and said Taylor was the guy! Just can't take this guy serious. I mean a HC is supposed to be a serious job. It's a privilege. Some of these guys shouldn't be anywhere near a HC seat. Lynn should be gone. Is he gone? Idk I'm just out of work and haven't looked at anything.

I'll admit I don't think this team can compete for a ring but every win feels good. I still get butterflies. I never want us to lose but certainly wouldn't be mad if we were bc we do need help. That said I so want a rematch vs KC in the PO. I'm sure Bill has that as an underlying message or someone does. "One game at a time but how sweet would it be to get another shot" type thing. That's a great attitude and example of culture > tanking. This team has nothing to be afraid of, house money, so let's be the ultimate party crashers. Just saying it's nice to have a light at the end of rainbow when you're grinding every day with no room for mistakes. Again that's culture. That's not easy to build and harder to sustain but it's what separates schools like Bama, Clemson, Patriots, Steelers etc. Much more than a draft pick. It's we as opposed to let's hope someone else will save the franchise. Guys like Bill, Saban etc even Dani since I mentioned Clemson. Don't grow on trees. They have their faults but are truly one of a kind. They are different.
Yep; those 2010 Chargers. Whew boy smdh..
The Chargers had a ST DVOA of -12.4% that season. That was the worst since the 2000 Bills, who had a DVOA of -15.4%. They had the #1 offense and defense but STILL missed the playoffs. I also remember those “early-mid 2010’s” Charger teams starting seasons slow (2-6, 3-5, 4-4 etc) and always having to string games together in order to try to make the playoffs. Always lots of talent, but to no avail. (but what else is new?..:whistle:)

Last edited:
The Chargers had a ST DVOA of -12.4% that season. That was the worst since the 2000 Bills, who had a DVOA of -15.4%. They had the #1 offense and defense but STILL missed the playoffs. I also remember them starting games slow and always having to “comeback” in the 4th (but what else is new?..:whistle:)
I remember it had a video in the article? That **** was wild.

It's such a crucial part of the game. Especially field position. It really can be the difference between a W or L. We've seen it on the biggest stage. And one reason why Bill likes to out an empathise on it and why he'll have regular starters out there.

I hope Slater gets in the HOF one day. They should have 1-2 slots a year just for ST guys.

The Chargers had a ST DVOA of -12.4% that season. That was the worst since the 2000 Bills, who had a DVOA of -15.4%. They had the #1 offense and defense but STILL missed the playoffs. I also remember them starting games slow and always having to “comeback” in the 4th (but what else is new?..:whistle:)
Truly bizarre. Must be the only time in NFL history that a unit that ranked top-5 in both points (and yards) scored and allowed per drive missed the playoffs.

Some of the ST "highlights":

Week 1 against the Chiefs: Lost 21-14 with the Chiefs getting a 94 yard punt return for TD.

Week 3 against the Seahawks: Lost the game 20-27 in no small part by allowing two kickoff returns TDs to Leon Washington despite outgaining Seattle 518-271 in yardage (of course, did not help that they turned over the ball 5 times compared to 2 times for the Seahawks)

Week 5 against the Raiders: Lost the game 35-27 with the Raiders blocking two punts, one for a safety and one for a TD.

Truly bizarre. Must be the only time in NFL history that a unit that ranked top-5 in both points (and yards) scored and allowed per drive missed the playoffs.

Some of the ST "highlights":

Week 1 against the Chiefs: Lost 21-14 with the Chiefs getting a 94 yard punt return for TD.

Week 3 against the Seahawks: Lost the game 20-27 in no small part by allowing two kickoff returns TDs to Leon Washington despite outgaining Seattle 518-271 in yardage (of course, did not help that they turned over the ball 5 times compared to 2 times for the Seahawks)

Week 5 against the Raiders: Lost the game 35-27 with the Raiders blocking two punts, one for a safety and one for a TD.

This has become a team you can appreciate and root for. I think we spend to much time disrespecting the WR's and TE's. To say no TE is a little harsh. The team has been successful running the ball and the TE blocking is an integral part of that. When they throw to Izzo once a game, he catches the ball. He's not Gronk but he's not "no TE". Byrd and Meyers are pretty consistently open but the QB is not capable of throwing the ball timely or with a touch that would allow the receivers to run under it. So while recognizing our players are not Kelce, Devante Adams, Justin Jefferson, lets give them some credit and not dismiss them as "pimples on the a-- of progress".

...To say no TE is a little harsh. The team has been successful running the ball and the TE blocking is an integral part of that. When they throw to Izzo once a game, he catches the ball. He's not Gronk but he's not "no TE"...So while recognizing our players are not Kelce, Devante Adams, Justin Jefferson, lets give them some credit and not dismiss them as "pimples on the a-- of progress".
He's pretty close to it, as are the rest of the TEs here, including Devin the Bust Assyassy.

This has become a team you can appreciate and root for. I think we spend to much time disrespecting the WR's and TE's. To say no TE is a little harsh. The team has been successful running the ball and the TE blocking is an integral part of that. When they throw to Izzo once a game, he catches the ball. He's not Gronk but he's not "no TE". Byrd and Meyers are pretty consistently open but the QB is not capable of throwing the ball timely or with a touch that would allow the receivers to run under it. So while recognizing our players are not Kelce, Devante Adams, Justin Jefferson, lets give them some credit and not dismiss them as "pimples on the a-- of progress".
The rookies have leeway for obvious reasons and Izzo is a worker but no this team has no threat from that position. We have someone who is barely serviceable if we're being honest with ourselves. Nothing wrong with being objective.

From the second page...
  • Curious how, if any the Rams rushing attack might change. With the loss of Gurley and Brown/Akers looking to share the workload I wonder if we see more gap stuff. Not to mention everyone and their mother is throwing heavy looks at them up front. J/c if we see more variation.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back