PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Chargers OT Jamaree Salyer was available at the end of the 4th round?

Man--I think I just start drafting tackles in the 4th round.
Captain Stone was high on Salyer pre-draft, IIRC as a convert to OG. The guy pays attention so this seems to happen a lot

Captain Stone was high on Salyer pre-draft, IIRC as a convert to OG. The guy pays attention so this seems to happen a lot

BGC & others helped us there too... Reminded me of the good things Lose/Lose did college, also at UGA... He was in play for me starting with any of our 4th-round picks... I would've been ALL OVER HIM at #183...

Mac played pretty good overall against a very good defense. No TO worthy plays that I remember or really bad passes but no explosive or plus plays. The OL isn't good and probably won't be for a minute. The play calling could definitely be better. RZ has been an issue all day. That said he's had a problem dealing with pressure since college. I talked about it a ton. If he can ID it he can make it work at times but direct pressure around closer to his body is a problem. He's 3 or 4 in dealing with pressure according to PFF I believe.

Let's really look at the sacks now ...

1)Not entirely on Mac but fails he yet again to identify or anticipate 2nd level pressure. You have to check to see who the rusher might have in coverage, if not, what exactly do you think he's doing????? Hes not looking around or checking anyone. Everything screams rush. Pressure up the middle didn't help and design didn't help, let's be honest but throw that at someone's feet and move on. Let's say he's 50% responsible here.
2)Mac obviously feels the pressure and see it coming. Doesn't help himself with his footwork or where he's holding the ball. Kind of froze and didnt move at all. Let's say the same 75%.
3)Swallowed up but again look at where he's holding the ball. He's in no position to help himself though. Again look at where the ball is. No position to help himself, froze as the rush was collapsing but this was mostly on the OL.
4)It's 2023 you have to make this play and step up. You can fell the rush. It's obvious they're getting through. You have to anticipate and have those feet firing up and down. 75% on Mac.
5)Had Rham but again not helping himself at all here. Mostly on Mac. 75-80%.
6)Not on Mac

Most of these sacks are on Mac. Some would take a great play to make it work. Others a simple check down or ball in dirt would have helped the situation. This has been the case since college though.

Playing the QB position is like a barter system. It's a give and take of accepting pressure for explosive yards or sacks. It seems it's been an either / or situation with Mac so far in his young career. Yesterday was a poor performance handling pressure, low air yards, no explosive plays/yards fpr playing it safe. Mentioned the PFF list and another name high on the list is Joe Brady who passed for 4 TD yesterday. You need to bring something to table - elevate players around you, avoid/handle pressure, rushing yards/TD, explosive passes etc ...

All that said Mac wasn't the biggest problem yesterday. It's the OL by far and I'm afraid it just won't be good consistently all year. We'll have spurts but this just isn't a good unit. The injuries, lack of technique from Strange, poor play. It's been run blocking and pass pro. It's just been a mess all year.
Sure, the scheme could be better but I've been telling you nice folks all year it's not the problem and it's not. Matty P definitely needs to step it up, not my first choice. Him or Judge but the play calling, scheme we you want to call it isn't the biggest issue save red zone and a few dumb calls (we've been through this before).

Going into next year the OL has to be priority #1 and quickly following. Maybe even #1 depending on FA/Draft. Getting Mac a legit #1 that can A)win outside B)demand/dictate certain coverages C)wins in the res zone.

I mean this will be year 3 so the excuses and patience will be running out. Not to mention those issues or suggestions above seem to be unanimous in my mind. I know everyone will be with the OL but it's clear Mac isn't elevating most or any players around him. That's not a knock or a surprise if you've been reading my post so let's just get it done. Allen has Diggs, Davis and Knox. Murray has Hopkins, Burrow might have the best rec corp in the league. It's not a bad thing but it does change how you operate upstairs bc those guys (elite WR) are 20+ easy.

Big FA (we have $$$) and Draft (we have picks) in year 3 so big offseason.

Refs deserve a lot more consequence going into 2022-23. Some of these calls, spots and just poor performance is unacceptable with the # of eyes, cameras and money in these games.

Marcus Jones was a favorite of mine in the entire career. I root for certain guys no matter where they land and he would have been one of them. Almost had a 2nd on him. Extremely dangerous return man and eventually I think he's our starting slot, down the road. I'll pay a 3rd for a great return man that can change field position though.

I thought Dugger made several great plays yesterday. He's a game changer in the run game and seems like hes always improving a little in the passing game. Not an easy position to play at all.

Speaking of players improving Wise deserves some real mention. He's become quite the piece and really knows how to make an impact on the game without getting sacks. Very very tough, smart player.

Easily one of the most crazy years I've witnessed in a long time. Playoffs will be outstanding this year no matter who gets in.

Mac played pretty good overall against a very good defense. No TO worthy plays that I remember or really bad passes but no explosive or plus plays. The OL isn't good and probably won't be for a minute. The play calling could definitely be better. RZ has been an issue all day. That said he's had a problem dealing with pressure since college. I talked about it a ton. If he can ID it he can make it work at times but direct pressure around closer to his body is a problem. He's 3 or 4 in dealing with pressure according to PFF I believe.

Let's really look at the sacks now ...

1)Not entirely on Mac but fails he yet again to identify or anticipate 2nd level pressure. You have to check to see who the rusher might have in coverage, if not, what exactly do you think he's doing????? Hes not looking around or checking anyone. Everything screams rush. Pressure up the middle didn't help and design didn't help, let's be honest but throw that at someone's feet and move on. Let's say he's 50% responsible here.
2)Mac obviously feels the pressure and see it coming. Doesn't help himself with his footwork or where he's holding the ball. Kind of froze and didnt move at all. Let's say the same 75%.
3)Swallowed up but again look at where he's holding the ball. He's in no position to help himself though. Again look at where the ball is. No position to help himself, froze as the rush was collapsing but this was mostly on the OL.
4)It's 2023 you have to make this play and step up. You can fell the rush. It's obvious they're getting through. You have to anticipate and have those feet firing up and down. 75% on Mac.
5)Had Rham but again not helping himself at all here. Mostly on Mac. 75-80%.
6)Not on Mac

Most of these sacks are on Mac. Some would take a great play to make it work. Others a simple check down or ball in dirt would have helped the situation. This has been the case since college though.

Playing the QB position is like a barter system. It's a give and take of accepting pressure for explosive yards or sacks. It seems it's been an either / or situation with Mac so far in his young career. Yesterday was a poor performance handling pressure, low air yards, no explosive plays/yards fpr playing it safe. Mentioned the PFF list and another name high on the list is Joe Brady who passed for 4 TD yesterday. You need to bring something to table - elevate players around you, avoid/handle pressure, rushing yards/TD, explosive passes etc ...

All that said Mac wasn't the biggest problem yesterday. It's the OL by far and I'm afraid it just won't be good consistently all year. We'll have spurts but this just isn't a good unit. The injuries, lack of technique from Strange, poor play. It's been run blocking and pass pro. It's just been a mess all year.
Sure, the scheme could be better but I've been telling you nice folks all year it's not the problem and it's not. Matty P definitely needs to step it up, not my first choice. Him or Judge but the play calling, scheme we you want to call it isn't the biggest issue save red zone and a few dumb calls (we've been through this before).

Going into next year the OL has to be priority #1 and quickly following. Maybe even #1 depending on FA/Draft. Getting Mac a legit #1 that can A)win outside B)demand/dictate certain coverages C)wins in the res zone.

I mean this will be year 3 so the excuses and patience will be running out. Not to mention those issues or suggestions above seem to be unanimous in my mind. I know everyone will be with the OL but it's clear Mac isn't elevating most or any players around him. That's not a knock or a surprise if you've been reading my post so let's just get it done. Allen has Diggs, Davis and Knox. Murray has Hopkins, Burrow might have the best rec corp in the league. It's not a bad thing but it does change how you operate upstairs bc those guys (elite WR) are 20+ easy.

Big FA (we have $$$) and Draft (we have picks) in year 3 so big offseason.

Refs deserve a lot more consequence going into 2022-23. Some of these calls, spots and just poor performance is unacceptable with the # of eyes, cameras and money in these games.

Marcus Jones was a favorite of mine in the entire career. I root for certain guys no matter where they land and he would have been one of them. Almost had a 2nd on him. Extremely dangerous return man and eventually I think he's our starting slot, down the road. I'll pay a 3rd for a great return man that can change field position though.

I thought Dugger made several great plays yesterday. He's a game changer in the run game and seems like hes always improving a little in the passing game. Not an easy position to play at all.

Speaking of players improving Wise deserves some real mention. He's become quite the piece and really knows how to make an impact on the game without getting sacks. Very very tough, smart player.

Easily one of the most crazy years I've witnessed in a long time. Playoffs will be outstanding this year no matter who gets in.
I believe your comment #1 reflects my concern with Mac on Pre snap and post snap reads. That's separating the men from the boys and he's still one of the boy's. One play yesterday, a second level player, don't remember, lb or db was edging up into the line, Mac was not even looking at the defense. He's staring straight ahead at the center's back. My other problem is the ten yard pass in the dirt. He was flushed right, Meyers breaking open right in front of him for a firsts down and the throw doesn't even make it to Meyers.
Mea culpa on Wise and also Bentley. I've advocated moving on from both of them for several years but both appear to be doing their job well this year.
Not much OL help in house. Solder is on the street still I believe. Our only PS tackle is a brand new TE and may be a little undersized. Looked like one of Bill's projects for next year. Ferentz got knocked 3 yards back in one play. I'm ready to give Russey a chance.

For my fantasy heads..

He is almost 32 years old and sucked when he was young. You want to sign him because you think offensive tackles that suck get better as they get older?

At least the other guys are trying something... This FO simply couldn't be bothered.

At least the other guys are trying something... This FO simply couldn't be bothered.

You commonly argue that the grass is greener because our guys suck. Our guys do suck but the grass is not greener if it is Fisher. Fisher was sitting on his couch for a reason. Every other team passed on him for a reason. The reason is because the dude sucks. Dolphins are desperate. This is very bad for the Phins - they have zero depth. One of the shortcomings of having high priced star players is that depth pieces are limited. Here is a perfect example. Tua's ankle better heal quickly because he is going to be running around a lot.

You commonly argue that the grass is greener because our guys suck. Our guys do suck but the grass is not greener if it is Fisher. Fisher was sitting on his couch for a reason. Every other team passed on him for a reason. The reason is because the dude sucks. Dolphins are desperate. This is very bad for the Phins - they have zero depth. One of the shortcomings of having high priced star players is that depth pieces are limited. Here is a perfect example. Tua's ankle better heal quickly because he is going to be running around a lot.

(Oops it's NOT Jeff but) Eric Fisher on his couch is STILL > Trent Brown, Lose/Lose, Cannonfodder, Cachoo, McDermott, Stubby, the Comedian, the Pizza-Maker and the failed college TE.

Can't believe I actually wrote Jeff and didn't catch that... Time to hit the pipe...

Last edited:
Jeff Fisher on his couch is STILL > Trent Brown, Lose/Lose, Cannonfodder, Cachoo, McDermott, Stubby, the Comedian, the Pizza-Maker and the failed college TE.
jeff-fisher-usfl-featured.jpg

Jeff Fisher on his couch is STILL > Trent Brown, Lose/Lose, Cannonfodder, Cachoo, McDermott, Stubby, the Comedian, the Pizza-Maker and the failed college TE.

It is Eric Fisher. Jeff Fisher was a lousy football coach. Eric Fisher is a lousy football offensive tackle. Neither is better than Brown. Cajuste and Wynn suck, but E Fisher is over the hill. By the third game Tua will get killed.

I can understand a guy playing for Podunk U who decides to skip the Weedeater / Bluebonnet / Drano Bowl to prevent injury and set himself up for the draft,

but this is a guy opting out of the 4-team playoff for a national championship!! And sure, he's been hurt and maybe wouldn't play anyway.

Still... a GIANT red flag for me. Like a guy who doesn't "love the game" or "put team above all else"

mitigating circumstance, I guess, is that team doctors say he shouldn't play. But still... shut up and be part of the team. Geesh....

Curious if you would trade our 1st + 3rd + 3rd or 1st + 2nd for the following ......

Tee Higgins

Brandon Aiyuk

Terry McLaurin

Michael Pittman

And obviously pay them.

The answer should be yes :)

Let's say Aiyuk or Higgins considering both might be an odd man out in terms of getting paid on their respective teams. Personally I'd rank them very closely. Something like Tee, Terry, Aiyuk and Pittman. Very little separating the top 3 (top 10-15 guys), all legit top 20-30 WRs.

Let's say Higgins. He's up in 2024. On a loaded team, loaded WR corp. It's not completely out of pocket. And again you obviously have to pay him but hes a proven player only getting better. 4/100.

Sign Kobi to a 3/23 - 23.5, would go to 24. I think that's very fair! It would be nice to reward our own guys and Kobi deserves it. Its not charity. He's a hell of a blocker, our 3rd down god, tough as ****, reliable and has Mac's trust.

Higgins with Meyers would easily be our best 1-2 in years. If Thornton hits we're set at WR for 3-5 years and all of a sudden have a dangerous group. Any of those guys provides immediate help though, especially outside/stretching the field/catch point/yac.

Let Agholor walk unless he wants to play for free. Decide on Bourne. I can only assume it's his route running (crazy considering how tight him and Mac were), maybe not a Patricia guy? Bc there's not a lot of reasons why he's not heavily involved after last year. That's another issue or maybe a real issue but have to decide on.

Higgins, Meyers, Thornton and maybe one of Bourne or Agholor isnt bad but we could do better?

If we want to walk away from Agholor and trade Bourne we could look at these guys in FA for reasonable money. Honestly I cant see any breaking the bank ...

Allen Lazard (big bully in the slot, can block and like Higgins, knows how to get open as a big man) would be the most expensive but shouldn't be getting crazy money. GB will have other needs and just drafted two WR. We would have a basketball team as a WR corp.
Kobi - 6'2, TT - 6'3, Tee - 6'4 and AL - 6'5. Big boys and all beside Thornton have shown they can get open consistently in the league. So the size is all pluses. I can't see him getting more than 11-12 million per but that might be a little redundant with Kobi. If we did, we'd have plenty of big bodies in the MOF.

Greg Dortch (has caught 37/42 rec, lots of speed even though his YR is low, he could prob be utilized a little better and returns kicks) would be very cheap money as a WR5.

Zach Pascal (top 5-10 blocker) again another cheap money deal.

I'd take a shot a Jamison Crowder for the right price.

And the draft if we feel like it ....

Take a shot in the middle, 4-7 RD ...

Ladd McConkey, Jayden Reed, Rakim Jarrett, Bru McCoy, Jacob Cowing, Tayvion Robinson, Jacob Copeland, Rome Odunze

Preferably a reliable quick hitter who can get open and create for themselves. Ladd, Reed, Jarrett, Cowing and Robinson all fit that profile. I think the others would fit in as well though.

This obviously doesn't solve the OL problem but this isn't top heavy class. So I wouldn't worry about losing our 1st for a tackle. We'll have 40+ million in FA $ with a few moves and we all they're coming. We'll still have our 2nd and two 4ths to play with in the draft.

I'm not married to the idea but I think it's clear this WR will look different next year and Mac needs as much help as possible in all areas. Not just OL play. Which is more important. Again just throwing this out there.

There looks to be 4-5 top 50 guys at tackle in the draft. I think Harrison will rise but he's a guy I'd take a shot at if he was in reach. Not all of Skor, Paris, Harrison, Johnson Jones X2 and Freeland will go in RD1 so we'll have a good chance at getting someone you can work with. Or use a 2nd and 4th to trade for a proven tackle.

Just throwing something out there. Not very Patriot-y but this team needs a real difference maker on offense. So much is riding on Thornton.

@patsinthesnow @Kontradiction @long distance @dreighver @50-yard-line @captain stone @Ian @patfanken @Dingleberry

Ya or nah

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back