PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Next time you're thinking about listening to Saban save yourself the headache and listen to this random weirdo online.
Sadly, all too many folks here only listen to those that reinforce their pre-existing opinions.

Sadly, all too many folks here only listen to those that reinforce their pre-existing opinions.
That's bc they got that opinion from someone else to begin with, so it only makes sense to reinforce and reassure after that.

I'm just a construction worker and farmer what do I know? Not much. More than Saban but not much in the grand scheme if I'm being honest and humble.

The Patriots have been running a variant of the Erhardt-Perkins style offense for decades. Whether McDaniels is here or not is irrelevant.

The Pats aren't going to change their fundamental offense overnight. So the question is definitely relevant, how much will BB change an offensive system that they've used for decades to accommodate a couple of new players who are more suited to zone blocking schemes ie Strange and Strong.

You also have to consider that the Patriots were very successful running the gap style offensive run schemes. Why go away from that, especially since their personnel for the most part fit those types of plays? Yes Cole Strange is reportedly very athletic for a guard, which makes him suitable for zone blocking schemes, but last time I checked you need 5 men for an OL. What about the 4 other dudes on that line?
It sounds like they are installing zone style blocking in their OTAs so far. Don't know if they will run it all the time, but they may change it up

I respect how crazy he is and doesn't even know. Just floating on air. Occasionally throws a few passes but nothing is in between those ears. I bet they wash their hair like twice a month.

I respect how crazy he is and doesn't even know. Just floating on air. Occasionally throws a few passes but nothing is in between those ears. I bet they wash their hair like twice a month.

Do the packers supply Roger’s with all the penicillin that he needs in order to throw those few passes?

How can you effectively operate an NFL RPO when your QB isn't a threat to run? If he isn't, then it's simply play-action.
We've talked about this. Mac CAN run - he has above average short area quickness (7.04 3-cone) and above average speed (4.8 forty) So why can't be be a threat to run? Not that I'm espousing that we run an RPO offense, but when are you going to acknowledge that he has all the athletic ability to do so if needed

Teams that run a lot of RPO (Mia, KC) run it about 180-190 times I believe. So we're not talking about flipping our playbook upside down. 3-4 times a games would go a long way. Especially if we are indeed running more stretch stuff.

We've talked about this. Mac CAN run - he has above average short area quickness (7.04 3-cone) and above average speed (4.8 forty) So why can't be be a threat to run? Not that I'm espousing that we run an RPO offense, but when are you going to acknowledge that he has all the athletic ability to do so if needed

I guess it just comes down to the apprehension I would have watching him tuck & run... I fear it would be hazardous to his health...

I would rather see him use that speed & quickness to better-escape pressure in the pocket this season... I thought he took a few sacks last season simply because he barely moved sometimes...

How can you effectively operate an NFL RPO when your QB isn't a threat to run? If he isn't, then it's simply play-action.
Reverse play action

I thought it was that the QB makes a motion like he’s going to handoff while surveying the field. If he wants to throw, he pulls it back in and makes it a throw. If he doesn’t, he continues the handoff to the RB. RPO doesn’t have to be just for mobile quarterbacks.
It’s a running play with a first option one route pass. You have to make the one route throw immediately, you cant have secondary routes or you end up with illegal men downfield from the run blocking OL.
It’s basically a running play but x will run a slant, so see if you want to hit that before you hand off.

Last edited:
I guess it just comes down to the apprehension I would have watching him tuck & run... I fear it would be hazardous to his health...

I would rather see him use that speed & quickness to better-escape pressure in the pocket this season... I thought he took a few sacks last season simply because he barely moved sometimes...
I agree mostly. I hope the Pats don't go the RPO routed either, my point is that they COULD because Jones IS a good enough athlete. Personally I think he'll better off using that athleticism to move more and escape in the pocket and do more bootlegs and sprint outs where he actually forces the defense to defend the outside.

BTW- What I mean by a sprint out is to try and set your pocket behind the OT and often flood the outside zones with a TE crossing underneath as a safety valve. You need your RB's to be good blocker on these plays. Another way to get an extra blocker is to motion your TE/WB to the play side.

Hot take - run blocking matters (Kupp is top 3-8, HR isn't top ... idk but nowhere as good as Kupp probably top 100 somewhere)

Still a vg deal for LVR though

Here's hoping we eventually find our Hunter.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back