PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
If you look at top-10 APY by position, the IOL ranks 8 out of 11. So drafting a guard or a center in the first round is always going to raise some eyebrows. It's worth something that he can be a starter off the bat though, without needing much in he way of a red-shirt year.

Not saying they will abandon the power run - the more options you have on each play the better. But the outside zone run fits better with RPO, which people think will be a feature this year.

I;m not buying the idea that RPO is going to be a feature this year. Why? Because Mac isn't Lamar Jackson, Tua, or Josh Allen. Granted, he's not Brady, or Drew Bledsoe, but Mac isn't the QB to run RPO.

I;m not buying the idea that RPO is going to be a feature this year. Why? Because Mac isn't Lamar Jackson, Tua, or Josh Allen. Granted, he's not Brady, or Drew Bledsoe, but Mac isn't the QB to run RPO.

There are RPO plays that don't involve the QB keeping the ball himself - the QB has the option of pass or handing off to the RB. Typically the ball has to come out quickly on the pass version to avoid an ineligible man downfield, as the line is usually run-blocking.

Here's a modest confirmation from OTA's that they are incorporating more outside zone runs in the playbook:

Instead of simply hammering the typical downhill run plays, New England got its offensive linemen out into space a lot on Monday with runs to the outside. One could see how such a system might favor athletic freaks like Strange, who looked in his element.

Mac Jones and the quarterbacks also seemed to be using their legs more than usual as well, with Jones looking more comfortable outside the pocket and throwing on the move than he did at this point last season.

Here's a modest confirmation from OTA's that they are incorporating more outside zone runs in the playbook:

Outside zone runs are what Gurley and then Michel, even Henry enjoyed to much success. What qualities does the outside zone demand from both the RB and OL? Does someone/multiple people in our RB core seem like they'd thrive when those plays are schemed up?

X's and O's aren't my strong suit, so I'm interested to learn a bit more.

Its good to be able to run outside successfully on occasion. Show teams in preseason we can do it and it’s part of what we do. Strong could provide help there. The more diverse the better…keeps teams on their heels.

Last edited:
What qualities does the outside zone demand from both the RB and OL? Does someone/multiple people in our RB core seem like they'd thrive when those plays are schemed up?

As I understand it, the OL potentially has to make some difficult reach blocks, so you want athleticism over heft.

Kollman talks about it in that video I linked:

For the RB, you want speed and shake over power. So the new super-fast RB they drafted could come into the picture, if not this year then next.

Last edited:
There are RPO plays that don't involve the QB keeping the ball himself - the QB has the option of pass or handing off to the RB. Typically the ball has to come out quickly on the pass version to avoid an ineligible man downfield, as the line is usually run-blocking.
I've been asking for more rpo since he was drafted. One my gripes with Josh. Mac was excellent running it in college. Very few run it in the pros (mostly Mia) but those that do have great success with it bc the league isn't caught up.

Forgot about this thread. Been busy with 2023 college balll and work but I'm going to come back to this after work.
Outside zone runs are what Gurley and then Michel, even Henry enjoyed to much success. What qualities does the outside zone demand from both the RB and OL?

Does someone/multiple people in our RB core seem like they'd thrive when those plays are schemed up?

X's and O's aren't my strong suit, so I'm interested to learn a bit more.

For the RB, you want speed and shake over power. So the new super-fast RB they drafted could come into the picture, if not this year then next.

Strong is not a push-the-pile running back. He’s a speed back who maintains patience behind his blockers. He can get skinny through the middle but often looks to use his speed to the outside. Strong can perform in a gap-style offense, but he thrives in a zone-blocking scheme — more specifically outside zone.

now on the surface I tend to agree with you that Mac wouldn't be my first choice to run a RPO based offense, I have just one question for you.

Have you read ANY of the last 2 dozen or more posts I have made concerning the relative athleticism of Mac Jones with his peers like Wilson, Prescott, etc BTW, not that it matters much but Tua's 4.9 pro day time is a lot slower than Mac's 4.7 time at his pro day. BTW- we both know that pro day times are often suspect and Mac's 4.8 combine time is closer to the truth just as Tua's pro day time of 4.9 is probably closer to 5.0 in real time.

So if you think Tua is capable of running an RPO offense then Mac surely has the potential to and more. And just what is an RPO but a play action pass with a potential read at the mesh point. What I do expect to see a lot more of from Mac this season are more roll outs and bootlegs

now on the surface I tend to agree with you that Mac wouldn't be my first choice to run a RPO based offense, I have just one question for you.

Have you read ANY of the last 2 dozen or more posts I have made concerning the relative athleticism of Mac Jones with his peers like Wilson, Prescott, etc BTW, not that it matters much but Tua's 4.9 pro day time is a lot slower than Mac's 4.7 time at his pro day. BTW- we both know that pro day times are often suspect and Mac's 4.8 combine time is closer to the truth just as Tua's pro day time of 4.9 is probably closer to 5.0 in real time.

So if you think Tua is capable of running an RPO offense then Mac surely has the potential to and more. And just what is an RPO but a play action pass with a potential read at the mesh point. What I do expect to see a lot more of from Mac this season are more roll outs and bootlegs

I think part of this is terminological confusion. The teams with hyper-athletic QBs often have a 3-way choice - their RPOs give the quarterback the possibility of handing off the ball, running it himself, or passing the ball. But as I understand it, there are a subset of RPOs where the QB typically doesn't keep the ball. So much closer to a play-action pass (but the linemen are blocking run not pass).

I think part of this is terminological confusion. The teams with hyper-athletic QBs often have a 3-way choice - their RPOs give the quarterback the possibility of handing off the ball, running it himself, or passing the ball. But as I understand it, there are a subset of RPOs where the QB typically doesn't keep the ball. So much closer to a play-action pass (but the linemen are blocking run not pass).
That's my understanding as well. Hopefully one of our Alabama folks here can speak on Mac's Alabama RPO experience...

Yes, elimination would be an improvement.

Get rid of the game and have an end-of-season party weekend in Hawaii after the Super Bowl with game show bits, non-contact competitions, music concert, awards, interviews, season highlights, pro-am golf tournament, etc., etc. Plenty of good stuff to broadcast there. You're welcome, NFL.

Get rid of the game and have an end-of-season party weekend in Hawaii after the Super Bowl with game show bits, non-contact competitions, music concert, awards, interviews, season highlights, pro-am golf tournament, etc., etc. Plenty of good stuff to broadcast there. You're welcome, NFL.
Just remember that it was a "non-contact" event that ruined Robert Edwards promising career.

Just remember that it was a "non-contact" event that ruined Robert Edwards promising career.

You can't put guys in cotton wool: lots of them get injured in the off-season just training. I think poor Robert Edwards was an outlier, though. And watching O-Line men playing beach volleyball would be a lot of fun.

As I understand it, the OL potentially has to make some difficult reach blocks, so you want athleticism over heft.

Kollman talks about it in that video I linked:

Thanks for posting the video, I never doubted the Strange pick for even a second!!!! (please dont look up my past posts, just trust me! :rofl: )

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back