PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
- JJ has been handing out sticks like this all year.

Actually he started quite poorly and was one of the reasons - along w backup OL and poor blocking by TE,WR outside Harry - the running game struggled, as shown in my Tampa no run “analysis“.

With healthy starting OL everyone improved (Jonnu still struggling prob. bc shoulder inj) and Jakub possibly most improved playing his best football over last 2 weeks for sure.

I was a bit impatient with him at the start (also did not have good preseason) - hoping maybe Mason could step up - now def deserves the shout out - nearing Dev territory..

Actually he started quite poorly and was one of the reasons - along w backup OL and poor blocking by TE,WR outside Harry - the running game struggled, as shown in my Tampa no run “analysis“.

With healthy starting OL everyone improved (Jonnu still struggling prob. bc shoulder inj) and Jakub possibly most improved playing his best football over last 2 weeks for sure.

I was a bit impatient with him at the start (also did not have good preseason) - hoping maybe Mason could step up - now def deserves the shout out - nearing Dev territory..
I disagree LD. He's been poor 2 game this year, NO & TB. He's been very consistent and effective all others.

Nice vid. thanks
I liked how ATL/Pees played Mac on the most part. Plenty to learn from w game never in question.
In a useless THU game no injuries and lessons to learn from for Mac are best takeaways.
This is a great one to learn and pick at. Like you said no major boo-boo's or anything like that. Agreed this is a good one to look back on. Clown show team in Atl but enough to look at.

Next few games are the real deal. So pumped up.

Nice vid. thanks
I liked how ATL/Pees played Mac on the most part. Plenty to learn from w game never in question.
In a useless THU game no injuries and lessons to learn from for Mac are best takeaways.

Couldn't agree more.

I disagree LD. He's been poor 2 game this year, NO & TB. He's been very consistent and effective all others.

He barely played vs MIA (meaning he was not trusted) and it looked ugly - look it up :)
Was on holidays vs Jete (me i mean) :)

Two different players from Sep to here (as some others as well of course).
Interesting how his snap counts increased from DAL game on (meaning he showed up at practice) and thats when the tide turned for the whole team..

That DAL game was best thing that happened to this team. Losing close game vs top team is a special kind of booster for the budding team..

Next few games are the real deal. So pumped up.

No doubt.
Everyone stepped up and they are a great watch.
(important that bye is coming late so it did not interrupt the growth and gelling - also to keep them fresh for when it matters)

He barely played vs MIA (meaning he was not trusted) and it looked ugly - look it up :)
Was on holidays vs Jete (me i mean) :)

Two different players from Sep to here (as some others as well of course).
Interesting how his snap counts increased from DAL game on (meaning he showed up at practice) and thats when the tide turned for the whole team..

That DAL game was best thing that happened to this team. Losing close game vs top team is a special kind of booster for the budding team..

No doubt.
Everyone stepped up and they are a great watch.
(important that bye is coming late so it did not interrupt the growth and gelling - also to keep them fresh for when it matters)
Yea we might just disagree man. Truthfully all I said was he's been handing out sticks all year. Which he has but his play has been pretty consistent all year.

I don't take the fact that he played sparingly in the first game of year as an indicator that the coaching staff didn't trust him. With respect it's game one that's kind of a jump to hear what you want to hear. There are other reasons why a FB might have a light night besides not being trusted.

As you mentioned and everyone knows the offense was a bit of a mess early on. The OL, blocking by others. Not just with injuries but pure functionality and chemistry. Players weren't lined up correctly, slow to set up, go in motion. There was a lot of that going on. Almost everyone had a part in it if we're being objective.

Snap count has increased since but he played as well in Houston and against the Chargers as he did the last two weeks. He was pretty good in week 2 vs jete.

It would be nice to see him get a rec or two. He's been a key figure this year for sure.

Judge knows LD ...

Hope you're well man

As you mentioned and everyone knows the offense was a bit of a mess early on. The OL, blocking by others. Not just with injuries but pure functionality and chemistry. Players weren't lined up correctly, slow to set up, go in motion. There was a lot of that going on. Almost everyone had a part in it if we're being objective.

100%

Hope you're well man

Thanks. And thanks for the thread! - the island of sanity around here.
Somehow thought its more about league info, didn't know you're discussing games and tape.
Will come checking more often..

100%

Thanks. And thanks for the thread! - the island of sanity around here.
Somehow thought its more about league info, didn't know you're discussing games and tape.
Will come checking more often..
Yea please post your thoughts here if you want. That goes for others as well.

I've been slacking with posting a22 but I swear GamePass is just awful when I sit down and really try to put clips together. Like every F'n time it'll speed up, stop, just run through a play at a different speed for a bunch of plays. Idk man it's been tough to deal with but yea post away here.

Here's a football question that puzzles me a lot. It's not a big question, but a question just the same.

Why should it be that a kicker who makes 40 to 50 yard field goals as a matter of routine has such difficulties with extra points?

Aren't they just like field goals? It surely can't be psychological. If anything, the pressure is much more on the field goals. Not to mention that Folk seems to be about as calm as you can be without beta-blockers.

Any thoughts appreciated, @BaconGrundleCandy

Here's a football question that puzzles me a lot. It's not a big question, but a question just the same.

Why should it be that a kicker who makes 40 to 50 yard field goals as a matter of routine has such difficulties with extra points?

Aren't they just like field goals? It surely can't be psychological. If anything, the pressure is much more on the field goals. Not to mention that Folk seems to be about as calm as you can be without beta-blockers.

Any thoughts appreciated, @BaconGrundleCandy
Its weird man. I think there's a few things you can look at.

Think of basketball player shooting in in-rhythm, having a higher % from certain spots on the field as opposed to others. Some shooters would almost rather shoot from a but further away.

Plus I think kickers have just improved in general so we'll see more guys capable of knocking one through 50 +

And again I think there's a little mental coming in play as well. A FG even if you get iced by the opposing team is in rhythm. Whereas a extra point is always in a fixed spot, less power more accuracy.

I definitely get what you're saying though. And there's very little known about kickers still.

Possible PTP :) btw

Tennessee stuff ...

From Brandon Thorn
IMG_20211119_190850.jpg

Tennessee and opponents flags
IMG_20211119_191600.jpg

IMG_20211119_191957.jpg

Mentioned it last night but he really stood out pre draft and the dots just connected on & off the field. His personality + skill set. Really happy to see guys work out in general but guys you thought would be good pats. It's not easy but obviously all credit to him. It's extremely tough to improve at anything at this level with guys looking to take your spot. Going against the best in the world daily. Everything is fast, supposed to be done yesterday. Not easy and he's got a long way to go but he's made nice strides. Coming from playing up top basically learning a new position. If DMC ever gets hurt we have a mean 2hi with him and Phillips. In case people forgot Dugg is a bit of a freak that can move. Screenshot_2021-11-19-19-32-56~2.png
IMG_20211119_193034.jpg

In coverage/slot, against the run, ST. He's been all over the place.

This is really the big story behind the 5 game insurgence. It has not only improved their pass defense but their run defense just as much. It’s Bill’s doing. I can’t imagine Steve or Jerod changing the defensive scheme so dramatically.

Zig when others zag. You can be damn effective playing zone when you have plus-plus pass rushers like Judon and Barmore harassing opposing QBs.

More good stuff from Butler

This deserves a read if you haven't already. DL is one of the better writers there.

Last edited:
This is really the big story behind the 5 game insurgence. It has not only improved their pass defense but their run defense just as much. It’s Bill’s doing. I can’t imagine Steve or Jerod changing the defensive scheme so dramatically.

Zig when others zag. You can be damn effective playing zone when you have plus-plus pass rushers like Judon and Barmore harassing opposing QBs.
Early on in the season there were some observing that Bill was delegating the defense much more than usual. Perhaps he has gotten much more personally involved as the season has moved on.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back